Wizardry - Labyrinth of Lost Souls being localized!

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
cj iwakura

Re: Wizardry - Labyrinth of Lost Souls being localized!

Post by cj iwakura »

CMoon wrote:So I guess you all played this...

Yep. But not on that mode. It's better with graphics. The game really did have great design.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Jeneki wrote:
cj iwakura wrote:
Heck yea, I can't wait to play a dwarf with pink hair and no beard, and 52 hit points doing 27 damage at level 1. (in all honestly though, I would say moving away from the D&D-style stats is a good thing)
Wait, so lolis with axes are now dwarves?

I'm confused.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Japan.

Can't believe it's really happening.

Well, he ain't too happy.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

*awesome vector-crap pics*
Yup, and to be honest, those graphics served their purpose very well. However, I wouldn't go back to it if we're already spoiled with "real" art now.
For reference, I like how KF Additional 1/2 on the PSP handles the step-based engine, anyone here played those? Apparently they left a bad taste in some people's mouths...
(Sorry for the slight derail)
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

I can't wait. Just wish they had bundled up the two games and put them on disc like they did in Japan.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

No, but I did play the one that looked like Dungen Master in EGA. Bane of the Cosmic Forge. Which one was that? Part 6?
I did play through Ultima 1, though, which had dungeon graphics almost identical to the ones in your pictures. It had awesome stick-man monster graphics as well.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

CMoon wrote:Wait, so lolis with axes are now dwarves?
Goes back to Tales of Symphonia or before. See also WoW.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Herr Schatten wrote:
No, but I did play the one that looked like Dungen Master in EGA. Bane of the Cosmic Forge. Which one was that? Part 6?
I did play through Ultima 1, though, which had dungeon graphics almost identical to the ones in your pictures. It had awesome stick-man monster graphics as well.
Actually that was Dark Spire on the DS. I guess what just drives me nuts is every company (including Sir Tech) moved fairly quickly away from the one town/one dungeon thing. Hell, Ultima 2 had free exploration, first person dungeons, even space travel!!! Obviously there is a Japanese fan base driving this, and I sort of understand the backlash from rpgs getting too far away from D&D; but hell, D&D allowed for far more creativity than Wizardry 1-3 ever did.

I know I've said it a million times, but my vote still goes to Wiz 7. I wouldn't play it now, but it was one hell of a great game then.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Herr Schatten wrote:
Confession: I like Ultima I better than the old Wizardry games. Akalabeth was fun too, in that it was absolutely broken.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

I would love to play the old Ultima games again, but not willing to mess around with dosbox. I played ultima 2 in middle school and thought it was terribly awesome!
SHMUP sale page.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

^There are "recreations" of some of the original games that run on modern PCs on the following page: http://reconstruction.voyd.net/index.ph ... rd=remakes
Had it bookmarked for months now but never gotten around trying any of them. Supposedly Ultima II is one of the complete and perfectly working ones, but you'll need the original game, or at least its data files, to run it.
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

http://www.wizardryps3.com/

Website is live. Quite informative.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

ZOM wrote:^There are "recreations" of some of the original games that run on modern PCs on the following page: http://reconstruction.voyd.net/index.ph ... rd=remakes
Had it bookmarked for months now but never gotten around trying any of them. Supposedly Ultima II is one of the complete and perfectly working ones, but you'll need the original game, or at least its data files, to run it.
I really wouldn't recommend that version of Ultima II; it's better to play with EP's patch, though you'll still want DOSBox. Exult is the only of those ports that I think is really great, though xu4 and VoH aren't bad if you don't want to emulate the Master System Ultima IV.

Anyway, the keeping track of Ultima-related projects has mostly migrated to this site.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

The PS Store is back up! And Wizardry is finally released! It costs $15 bucks.

They also released a demo so you can try it out before buying.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Awesome, I'll grab this as soon as I get home. (well, need a point card first)
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Don't forget the $5 DLC for extra floors in the first dungeon if you really like the game.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Are they still planning on releasing that physical copy?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

Tried the demo...the interface is BRUTAL and the Japanese voices are atrocious....
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Just having graphics in a Wizardry game is a luxury.
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

drauch wrote:Are they still planning on releasing that physical copy?
They never were.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Hmm, I didn't find any DLC listed for it yet (checked the in-game store link, and manually on the PSN store). Maybe they'll be added later?

So yea, it's definitely Wizardry as I remember it. Including all the learning curve issues that will likely drive newbies insane. And in-game documentation and instructions are non-existent; I'd be completely lost if this were my first Wizardry game. Useful stuff like how bishops can identify items, and what stats you need to play different classes.

Character creation is still a "view bonus points, back up, try again for more bonus points" time waster that's kind of silly. I guess one could use this as a difficulty setting, whether they make a characters with 6 points, or wait for the excessive 40+ point rolls.

I was kind of surprised that I can see in dungeons without using a torch or light spell, but I can accept it as a streamlining change. Walking into walls is hilarious though, with the way the characters squeal.

Combat seems much less brutal on level 1 characters than I remember. In the original games it always took me several tries just to get a party past level 1 intact.

My only question so far: The item shop sells dungeon maps, but when I use the "use" command on them, nothing happens. It just says I can't use this item. Or do they just enable the automap on that floor?

And for the love of Werdna ... in an age of nearly limitless hard drive space, our characters can only have a 6-letter name? Even the ancient Apple ][ games allowed nice long names.

Overall I'm happy with it though. I'll definitely get way more than $15 enjoyment out of this one. :)
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Jeneki wrote:So yea, it's definitely Wizardry as I remember it. Including all the learning curve issues that will likely drive newbies insane. And in-game documentation and instructions are non-existent; I'd be completely lost if this were my first Wizardry game. Useful stuff like how bishops can identify items, and what stats you need to play different classes.
Being my first Wizardry game ever, I'm looking forward to jump in completely in the dark :) Just like old times.
mastermx wrote:
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

XSeed have said they'll consider the disc release if this game does well.

So if you want the sequel, BUY THIS NOW!

Already did. It is wonderful. The combat is very fluid.

Not that story-driven, but I expected as much. It's a dungeon crawler in HD.

And $14.99 is a steal.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

Jeneki wrote:Hmm, I didn't find any DLC listed for it yet (checked the in-game store link, and manually on the PSN store). Maybe they'll be added later?
No, I bought it yesterday and it's still there now. You just have to dig for it in the store manually (Add-Ons > Downloadable Games > [scroll waaaaaayyy to the bottom] Wizardry).
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Well so far I'm really enjoying it, but not necessarily due to anything particularly amazing the game itself is doing; rather I just really enjoy this sort of game. I'm only around level 4, so I haven't seen any of the class skills yet, though I'm well aware of the alignment trick that will let you plug good and evil characters into the same party (hint: it's the same trick that worked in Wizardry 1.) Also reading about how those 2-handed weapons I can't afford yet can hit from the back row, giving a lot more versatility, though I'm imagining other ranged weapons will start turning up soon.

Not gonna worry about downloading that add-on until I actually can get to the 5th floor.
SHMUP sale page.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Nico87 wrote:
drauch wrote:Are they still planning on releasing that physical copy?
They never were.
Wrong.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Should add, for those of you just starting out, definitely make a Bishop. Being able to assess items instead of paying for it is pretty much essential. Especially when you can find good gear while dungeon diving.

Still debating on making some more elite classes since I'm only level 4-5.

Edit: Ended up doing this. Kept a couple of my level 5 characters, but now have a samurai, lord and ninja in the front row, a mage, bishop and priest in the back. I'm sure there's some advantage to having a vanilla fighter, but this way I have a huge access to spells and healing right from the start.

Obviously you're gonna have to play the alignment trick to get all these characters in the same party (saving in the dungeon and having another party find them.) I'm pushing all my characters toward good so hopefully I can at least get the ninja to be neutral. I don't know if alignment plays any role other than making it hard to have some of these elite classes in the same party.
SHMUP sale page.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Played the demo yesterday. Having beaten the likes of Phantasy Star without guides, I thought I could at least progress a bit here without problems. 10 minutes after entering the dungeon, I'm completely lost. A few minutes later, my whole party is dead. On the very first floor of the first dungeon.

I was expecting a challenge but holy shit. This is brutal.
mastermx wrote:
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Have you played an old Wizardry title before? I think this one is pretty gentle about introducing the more difficult monsters, but it is hard to be at all objective about it since I'm coming in with prior knowledge. That says, nothing tops the first time I tried playing Wizardry (early/mid 80's) and being instantly killed by the first group of monsters I ran into. Wow! I want to think it is that sort of experience that inspired games like Demon's Souls.
SHMUP sale page.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

CMoon wrote:Wow! I want to think it is that sort of experience that inspired games like Demon's Souls.
It is. I'm too lazy to dig up the article, but Wizardry was specifically mentioned by Hidetaka Miyazaki when asked about the game's difficulty.