LTTP: Ys - where to start?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
drunkninja24

Re: LTTP: Ys - where to start?

Post by drunkninja24 »

Drum wrote:I dled Ys Book I & II on VC and I had a blast with it. I prefer that graphic style over the PC remake.

Jesus, they sure like remaking these games, huh?
Indeed. Now, if we could just get IV and V on PSP, we'd have the entire series (except for Origin) playable on one system!
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Drum wrote:Jesus, they sure like remaking these games, huh?
Well, theres over 20 ports of those two games :lol:
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

drunkninja24 wrote:Indeed. Now, if we could just get IV and V on PSP, we'd have the entire series (except for Origin) present on one system!
Fixed: VI on PSP doesn't deserve the designation of "playable". :P
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Inspired by this thread, I came back to Ys I Complete and defeated the flying boulders boss on hard... with a mouse. All things considered, I can't make up my mind which control method I like best, but it's alright since I've got both controllers handy anyway.
I also defeated the twin heads boss (with a mouse again, but I can see myself doing it with an analogue stick as well).
In other news, Xanadu Next and Felghana refused to install on my PC, with a message referring to some - indecipherable to me - file in Temp folder. Is there anything I should be aware of? I run the installer under WinXP Pro with all the languages installed. The hardware easily meets system requirements.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:...with a message referring to some - indecipherable to me - file in Temp folder. Is there anything I should be aware of? I run the installer under WinXP Pro with all the languages installed. The hardware easily meets system requirements.
A screenshot would be nice, more for curiosity's sake.

I recommend you try launching the installer with applocale, shouldn't be normally needed as long as you set up Japanese to be the default language for non-unicode apps, but it's worth a try.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Never mind, worked it out already. Apparently it requires the Application Data folder to be named exactly "Application Data" (I don't have English Windows here). So I created it manually and then it installed. Now I feel smart.
I could use a screenshot of the external menus explaining each and every option, though. Or just wait until the translation is done as I'm in no hurry to play it, like, right now.
The way out is cut off

ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Apparently it requires the Application Data folder to be named exactly "Application Data"
Ah, never too late to learn something new.

As for the config.exe translation, there should be an English patch floating around somewhere... IIRC it's called YsOSetupPatch.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Yeah, there is a translation of Felghana. I meant Xanadu Next options, just didn't clarify it.
Sheesh, did anybody on here beat the final boss of Ys I Complete (PC) on hard? I know I should have all the silver equipment on and keep hitting him at the platform's edges, but can't seemingly dodge the ridiculously fast bullet hell. The difficulty spike is so rampant it seems unbalanced to say the least. I'm not finding a YouTube vid of anyone making it.
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

I've killed Dark Fact on Hard (I played both Ys I & II Complete on Hard for my first run... I think it was because Ys I seemed pathetically easy on defaults, early on). It is a pretty extreme difficulty spike, and a disappointingly sloppy-feeling boss fight overall. I could do it consistently after a bit of practice, but the first time I beat him felt more like luck.

You seem to know hitting him creates pits... that out of the way, it's really just a matter of getting his health depleted before yours. It pays to be aggressive and take a few fireball hits in the process, rather than trying to evade everything, probably failing and passing up chances to slash him.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Anyone know where I can buy a copy of Xanadu Next (for a decent price)?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

Guess it's just a matter of time before Falcom decides to do a PSP port of Xanadu Next, then we can just pray like hell that Xseed will localize that and Zwei!!. In the meantime, someone help me find a copy of Xanadu Next Limited Edition pleaaaaase. I can only find the normal version and that's $69.99 from Play-Asia. Nothing at all on eBay.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

^^Deluxe Edition Xanadu Next shows up once in a while on YAJ at good prices, but be aware - more often than not you'll find that the auctions are for "packaging only", meaning all Deluxe Edition stuff is there intact but it's missing the game disc. I've noticed this trend a lot there, possibly interesting for those that buy the game via digital distribution, since the whole Deluxe package shouldn't cost more than, say, 1200 JPY.
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

Sounds good, but I'd prefer the full package. Would you mind keeping half an eye open for me for complete listings?

By the way, does anyone know if Xanady Next is out of the box Vista ready, and why Falcom lent the license for Ys IV to Hudson and Tonkin House respectively, instead of developing IV themself? Kinda interesting to note that one of the best Ys games weren't made by Falcom.
maxlords

Post by maxlords »

As an aside...I'd love to get all the deluxe goodies without the games from any of the Ys and Xanadu packages... especially if they're relatively cheap :D
<@scootnet> if you were a real gamer, you could jerk it to Super Metroid box art
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

For those interested, this LE one doesn't look all too bad: http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/142130283

Normal edition(Vista reprint): http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g97442441

This LE is a bit more expensive, but at a "buy it now" price: http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b115864297
CIT

Post by CIT »

I just started playing Ys Seven, and am quite impressed. It plays really well and is a lot of fun. Only the boss fights drag on a bit too long for my taste. Definitely a step up from Ark of Napishtim though.
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

ZOM wrote:For those interested, this LE one doesn't look all too bad: http://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/142130283

Normal edition(Vista reprint): http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g97442441

This LE is a bit more expensive, but at a "buy it now" price: http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b115864297
Quite cheap. Is that last one sealed? No pics of contents :( I take it only the Vista reprints works for Vista?
gct

Post by gct »

Thanks for this thread. I played Ys I last winter, and seeing this I finally got off (on?) my butt and played through Ys II last week. Honestly I haven't really had fun playing any games in the last year, even ones I used to enjoy, but this was really fun. I went out and bought Oath & Seven on PSP today even though I don't have my PSP with me, so I started playing Oath on PC. I really like how the game is so lovingly detailed but the system requirements are still so light by today's standards. I am playing on my notebook (1.3 GHz Core2Duo w/ Intel GMA 4500MHD) and it's running full 60fps for the most part on the highest settings.

Are the characters in the PSP version of Oath 3D rendered? They look like 2D sprites in the PC version.

I can definitely see myself re-playing these games. Like undamned I think I might eventually build myself a little Ysbox too! I didn't know there was a Premium edition of Seven... might have to re-buy a copy because I want those extras.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yes, they are sprites on both the PC and PSP. The only Ys game on that engine to get 3D models for everything was the PS2 version of Ark of Napishtim.
gct

Post by gct »

Managed to get the Premium Edition of Ys Seven for PSP (USA). Guess I might sell my regular edition sometime. Now I'm interested in buying Ys Origin. Is there a DVD-ROM version or was it only released on several CD-ROMs?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I did finish off Dark Fact on Hard (Ys I Complete for the PC) with a joypad. I'll say it again: the difficulty spike is enormous. Think twice before you start a playthrough on Hard for nothing up until that point will quite prepare you for it (on the PC, that is; the PS2 version is reportedly easier on Hard than the PC version on Normal).
The way out is cut off

Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

gct wrote:Managed to get the Premium Edition of Ys Seven for PSP (USA). Guess I might sell my regular edition sometime. Now I'm interested in buying Ys Origin. Is there a DVD-ROM version or was it only released on several CD-ROMs?
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-7s- ... -2jbw.html

It's in Chinese though.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

There is indeed a DVD version of Origin, in fact it was pressed first on DVD and then on CD(for whatever reason, it's a 2006 game).

BTW, for non-chinese speakers I don't recommend getting the chinese version, once the English patch is released there's no guarantee it'll work with anything other than the supported Japanese versions.
gct

Post by gct »

Yeah ZOM that's my main concern, I want to be ready in case an English patch is released. I might check YAJ then if I feel like being spendy.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

You might want to check Yesasia if you're in need of new Vista versions - shipping & handling is free there, but that's the least you could expect with such a hefty price tag: http://www.yesasia.com/global/falcom/0- ... /list.html

You might aswell check YAJ, pay the shipping including your preferred deputy service's commission fee and still land quite a bit below the amount Yesasia wants, since Ys Origin, or any modern falcom game for that matter, goes for dirt-cheap on YAJ.

Here is a sealed Vista one, including "Official Visual Book", that ends in a few days:
http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f92516998
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

Might get Origin from YesAsia, though I'd really want that visual book :cry:
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Don't quote me on this but I think the Visual Book is still included in the latest print run... At least the thickness of the box suggests it.
gct

Post by gct »

Yep, I've won an auction for Ys Origin at 2000 JPY plus GP's commission and shipping, who knows what I'll get in the box. But at least it has the DVD-ROM logo and some kind of Vista sticker on it.

It wasn't the link you provided but thanks for the YAJ suggestion, I didn't think it would be this cheap. I might even pick up a copy of Ys VI since the PC version seems to be "the" definitive release.
Nico87

Post by Nico87 »

PS2 port isn't bad to be honest. Did you use GP's proxy service or did he just bid for you? I'm desperate for the copy in the link above.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I just picked up Oath and Ys 7, not having played any Ys previously. Looking forward to checking them out.