DOJ Death Label Conquered

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Udderdude

Re: DOJ Death Label Conquered

Post by Udderdude »

Of course. As well as some goober claiming some z-grade wannabe flash shmup is better/more challenging.
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

behold the scrubs now have a new champion

no longer is it "Touhou is harder", now it's "Bullet Heaven is harder". I saw that extra boss, and the pattern were either slow or radials. fuckers don't know what they're talking about.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

I just tried Bullet Heaven, and the only things that come to mind are "unsophisticated" and "casual"
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

OFFENDING PHRASE "BULLET HEAVEN" DETECTED

RAGE MODE ACTIVATED

CHARGING RANT IN 3 POSTS
KNekoSpy

Post by KNekoSpy »

It would have been funny if a DOJ version of Zatsuza unlocked for beating Death Label second loop and you had to clear it on one life. XD
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

RANT FULLY CHARGED

All right, I fucking hate Epic Battle Fantasy and everything to do with it. Since when can some otaku, some representative of the worst dregs of society, some guy who thinks that multiple Final Fantasy references and shriveled-up Internet memes are the funniest thing ever, make a game that is not only popular but has its own rabid fanbase? Oh right, since creativity ate itself and shat out an endless field of derivatives and half-baked efforts where even the slightest floppings of life are praised as divinely inspired genius.

But this... this. I honestly found a few comments on TVTropes that Oblivion (the true last boss of this turd, for those who haven't killed brain cells finding out) was "considered by many to be the hardest video game boss ever". Oh, yeah, that's TVTropes, they don't know any better, but just think of the impressive levels of stupidity and ignorance that it would take for someone to even construct a comment like that. There must be some part of a terminal Japanophile's brain that ignores the fact that, while at least 10 videos were released soon after Bullet Heaven's debut showing people beating the extra boss with little difficulty, only one person ever beat Death Label and it took him 7 years.

And the people who play it really honestly think that they're playing some sort of underappreciated indie masterpiece. Fuck that. These are the sort of people for whom lolcats are funny shit, who lie on the shallows of the internet and think that they're the coolest people alive for knowing Touhou references and watching anime.

There is no difference between Bullet Heaven and Thera, expect the sprites and music. They're the same game in terms of metric shit per minute. Oh, and Bullet Heaven is easy.

"but the bullets are thick and hard to dodge derp derp"

Yeah, your skull is thick.

Whew, glad I could get that out. I've satisfied my nerdrage requirement for the next few months, I think.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Should be moved to review section, imo.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Nobody bothered posting this, but after his accomplishment last year, he finally gave Seimitsu a go.

http://moon.ap.teacup.com/qwertyuiop/1248.html

He also changed his gaming environment (old at top, new at bottom)

http://moon.ap.teacup.com/qwertyuiop/1276.html
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

RNGmaster wrote:Oh, yeah, that's TVTropes, they don't know any better, but just think of the impressive levels of stupidity and ignorance that it would take for someone to even construct a comment like that.
I think sadly one of the main attractions is the retards can pretend they are playing ZOMG SUPER HARDEST BOSS EVAR SHMUP and that they have some skills (lolno). When the reality is far from that. Chances are almost all of them are just dumb kids, anyway. They like to brag around the lunch table that "I'm good at boolit hall!". :p Bet every one of those kiddies would fall over dead when placed in front of a real bullet hell shmup.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Udderdude wrote:Bet every one of those kiddies would fall over dead when placed in front of Gradius.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

RNGmaster wrote:There is no difference between Bullet Heaven and Thera, expect the sprites and music. They're the same game in terms of metric shit per minute. Oh, and Bullet Heaven is easy.
Lol- reading this really makes me want to play Bullet Heaven :)

On a more technical note (and the game devs on here can help out on this one), since it's taken 7 years to beat DL how did the people who wrote it know that it ever was beatable and that they hadn't created something flawed by impossibility? Did they just use TAS and then assume it was also possible in real time?
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

It's not strictly necessary to be able to complete something from start to finish in a single sitting to prove the possibility. They could could just replay every boss separately (well, to be fair, only the 2-5 needed something like that) until it was evident that odds of winning are improving with time—which is something that shouldn't happen with luck only. Arika had also released a pseudo-superplay PV when they released the port, except I don't remember if it only included the first loop, or both, ending on 2-5.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

mjclark wrote:On a more technical note (and the game devs on here can help out on this one), since it's taken 7 years to beat DL how did the people who wrote it know that it ever was beatable and that they hadn't created something flawed by impossibility? Did they just use TAS and then assume it was also possible in real time?
It's possible they used slowdown, since even the most ridiculous shmups were beat in less than 7 years. Maybe the only thing they really tested was the double Hibachi fight. We'll never know for sure, though. As moozooh mentioned, they may have only played each boss individually and not all in a row.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Don't you get a life after beating each stage on the second loop? Or are you really expected to no-miss the whole thing?
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

As long as every pattern is designed so that its possible to dodge without bombing then the whole thing should be possible, albeit insanely hard.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Ruldra wrote:Don't you get a life after beating each stage on the second loop? Or are you really expected to no-miss the whole thing?
No, the second loop must be no-missed in its entirety, and bombs heal bosses. :D
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Holy hell...only now I'm realizing what the guy did. He's a living legend.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
captpain

Post by captpain »

yes, this is one of the craziest video game accomplishments ever in terms of pure action skill
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

I can't tell when you're being sarcastic or not.

Also you and Banana should really post your photos in the photo thread.
captpain

Post by captpain »

RNGmaster wrote:I can't tell when you're being sarcastic or not.

Also you and Banana should really post your photos in the photo thread.
haha, no, i'm being serious. it really is jaw-dropping.

good luck getting me to do THAT. i wouldn't want to spoil the magic.
hzt

Post by hzt »

mjclark wrote:On a more technical note (and the game devs on here can help out on this one), since it's taken 7 years to beat DL how did the people who wrote it know that it ever was beatable and that they hadn't created something flawed by impossibility? Did they just use TAS and then assume it was also possible in real time?
I remember an interview somewhere with a guy from Arika saying they got top arcade players to play test it, checked if they could clear it, then when they did upped the difficulty so that they couldn't.

I'm not sure they knew if it would ever be beatable.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Heh. Brings to mind the "It will be impossible to reach the end" from the PS2 port-bundled superplay's intro.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

BIL wrote:Heh. Brings to mind the "It will be impossible to reach the end" from the PS2 port-bundled superplay's intro.
Did it seriously say that? Wow. That's fucked up D:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yep. ^_^ Also (paraphrasing from memory) "The game distressed many players" and (my favourite) "What is the thing we should think about?"
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Well, 7 long years later, I hope they've had plenty of time to think about .. whatever it is. Maybe the downsides of making a mode that's almost impossible to beat by ordinary human reflexes? >_>
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

colour_thief wrote:Just in case people haven't seen it yet the video of this was finally uploaded to youtube by Mihara:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAqqR7ee1rs

Yes, thread necro, but this achievement cannot get enough recognition.
So apparently this video is set to private now. Did anyone happen to download it before it was changed?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

rancid3000 wrote:
colour_thief wrote:Just in case people haven't seen it yet the video of this was finally uploaded to youtube by Mihara:

So apparently this video is set to private now. Did anyone happen to download it before it was changed?
They took it down, I don't know why. The original is still on nicovideo:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm15603191

I re-uploaded it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vdYmTmMmT8
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
rancid3000

Post by rancid3000 »

Elixir wrote:
rancid3000 wrote:

I re-uploaded it here:

Thanks a lot. I had the urge to watch this last night and was disappointed when I couldn't find it.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

What the fuck is bullet heaven?
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Gus

Post by Gus »

Elixir wrote:
rancid3000 wrote:

I re-uploaded it here:

I still get goosebumps watching those last 2 minutes. Moments like that are why I love this genre.