Shienryu impression and a question

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
MintyTheCat

Re: Shienryu impression and a question

Post by MintyTheCat »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
SF Kosmo wrote:I always dug the arcade Daioh where you could use any weapon at any time like Radiant Silvergun. I wish there was a version of Shienryu like that.
When I first read this I was like "nah, you'd mess up the game balance" but then I realized there kind of isn't one. There's a tradeoff between the lightning being good for most situations but awful for most bosses. But the truth is the basic spread shot is the best all around weapon for almost any situation, it does the most damage, fires the fastest and at full power it covers like 60% of the screen . Letting you switch to the homing missiles or lightning in tight situations would at least give you a reason to ever use anything else.
Yes, that Laser kind of puts you in a bit of a situation and leaves you a bit vulnerable when there's a bit on the screen. It gets occupied with other targets.

I prefer the spread shot too as I can rely on it.
More Bromances = safer people
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

There is one good argument for the laser, which is that there are certain spreads of enemies that seem to be impossible to clear out with anything else. Like those turrets that pop out of the ground, fire one shot and then disappear. The laser cleans them up in an instant, but I haven't managed to get them all with either of the other two.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Sengoku Strider wrote:There is one good argument for the laser, which is that there are certain spreads of enemies that seem to be impossible to clear out with anything else. Like those turrets that pop out of the ground, fire one shot and then disappear. The laser cleans them up in an instant, but I haven't managed to get them all with either of the other two.
You've spent more time playing Shienryu than myself - thanks for that.

How does it play for competitive score? I never got around to investing time playing for score.

I actually quite like the music. I bought Layer-Section around the same time and I remember really liking the music on L-S, and Shienryu sounds very different. Some amazing sounding Shmups on the Saturn :)
More Bromances = safer people
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

MintyTheCat wrote:
Sengoku Strider wrote:There is one good argument for the laser, which is that there are certain spreads of enemies that seem to be impossible to clear out with anything else. Like those turrets that pop out of the ground, fire one shot and then disappear. The laser cleans them up in an instant, but I haven't managed to get them all with either of the other two.
You've spent more time playing Shienryu than myself - thanks for that.

How does it play for competitive score? I never got around to investing time playing for score.

I actually quite like the music. I bought Layer-Section around the same time and I remember really liking the music on L-S, and Shienryu sounds very different. Some amazing sounding Shmups on the Saturn :)
It's very straightforward as far as scoring goes. Bonus at the end of stage for all the banners (?) picked up and bombs/lives remaining. After reaching max power, weapon pickups become bonus items. That's pretty much it.