Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra (XBox 360)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dragoforce

Re: Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi Extra (XBox 360)

Post by Dragoforce »

HamidoOs wrote:
Elixir wrote:foreigners can't post scores for Japanese shmups
What does this mean?!
I think he refers to a competetion that Arika held for Ketsui DS foreigners weren't allowed to submit scores. I think MrMonkeyMan had a great score that he couldn't submit because of that.
Swedish shmup community - stgfan.com
Do not be afraid...
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

Super quick install. I'm not noticing a difference in loading speed though.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Wow, I'm totally impressed... 5pb went from producing the port with the most load times, to the port with nearly nonexistent load times. Everything just oozes class and functionality, even more so than Cave's own efforts.

The smoothing mode selection is also pretty crazy... I've never heard of any game offering real-time Lanczos resizes. Definitely a throwback to when I set up filter chains for animation encoding... perhaps not the most user-friendly approach, but it's nice having more than the pedestrian bilinear and bicubic algorithms for a change. There aren't any particularly "villainous" options like 2xSaI either...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I've never heard of any game offering real-time Lanczos resizes
as far as I remember Raiden Fighters Aces offers this as well. Does Ketsui offer the possibility to disable any additional filtering ?
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

Agreeing with StarCreator. I'm very happy with the port.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
alastair jack

Post by alastair jack »

Is there much difference between bicubic and lanczos? I reckon they'd look pretty much the same.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Lanczos does a slightly better job of preserving sharp edges, at the cost of a little distortion - you can really tell if you pay attention to the scrolling backgrounds. From what I recall, Lanczos isn't nearly as good at enlarging images as it is reducing them.

Nearest Neighbor is the equivalent to a non-filtered resize, but you get pixels of crazy sizes and shapes if you're not dealing with a multiple of the original resolution. The one thing missing is an option for dot to dot display, like Mushihimesama Futari provided - the 1% at a time overscan size adjustment just isn't precise enough.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Lanczos produces less smear on sharp edges, but really its main advantage is preserving fine details when scaling down, not up…

Edit: Gah, beat by StarCreator.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

My biggest problem with DOJBLEX is that when you get the image to the right size for a 4:3 CRT monitor and turn filtering off, it's still blurrier than the arcade modes of all the other CAVE ports. It sounds like nearest neighbor takes care of this then? Has anyone with the copy tried it on an arcade monitor yet? I can deal with no scanline options, but if it's blurry like DOJBLEX then I will be hating on 5pb.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

glad that the port appears to be good quality!! can we finally stop bitching about the price of the game and just talk about it's excellent scoring system and style now please!

i was playing the pcb last night to get myself hype.. can't wait to play around with practise and replay mode :mrgreen:
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

dmauro wrote:My biggest problem with DOJBLEX is that when you get the image to the right size for a 4:3 CRT monitor and turn filtering off, it's still blurrier than the arcade modes of all the other CAVE ports. It sounds like nearest neighbor takes care of this then? Has anyone with the copy tried it on an arcade monitor yet? I can deal with no scanline options, but if it's blurry like DOJBLEX then I will be hating on 5pb.
I'm running the game using Nearest Neighbor on one of my old tate'd CRT TVs via S-Vid (I think I have the overscan at 94%) and everything looks very sharp, all pixel edges are really well defined. It does look like the image has been scaled up, but it doesn't look at all blurry. You still get minor scaling artifacting in the backgrounds (no doubt due to the percentage I've chosen for OS)... but unless you're actively looking for that, you won't notice it.
JAPJAC
Banned User

Post by JAPJAC »

Last edited by JAPJAC on Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.japjac.proboards58.com/
http://www.youtube.com/japjac

1989 UK Japanese Mega Drive Thunder Force II MD Champion.
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

Thanks, Kiken! That's what I wanted to hear.
ex.machina

Post by ex.machina »

StarCreator wrote:Has anyone installed the game yet? Would very much like to know the installed size.
846MB (DDP had 3.4GB)
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

JAPJAC wrote:As promised, I've put up some footage here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGCet30zSQM

Cheers.

Nice trailer japjac
Naiera

Post by Naiera »

bcass wrote: Some sad news for us Europeans that I just thought about - we could be in for significant delays (regardless of shipping method used) due to the continued presence of the Icelandic volcanic ash clouds that continue to plague European airspace at the moment.
The first week or so it was just a Blu-ray movie and such things that the asscloud delayed, but now it's personal :evil: ;)

I hope it's over before too long. Until now I thought Ketsui was a crappy port (being from 5pb and getting shit reviews), but now I'm really starting to get excited.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

So I'm left wondering... What -does- the "Ketsui Bomb" EX option do?

And it does seem that achievements continue to track even with EX options set, so this is conceivably another "easy" 1000 points like DOJBLEX was, with very little skill... just takes lots and lots of grinding.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Ketsuibomb. New term. Activates the Ketsui bomb glitch from the PCB version and just endlessly bounces around the screen.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
ex.machina

Post by ex.machina »

StarCreator wrote:So I'm left wondering... What -does- the "Ketsui Bomb" EX option do?

And it does seem that achievements continue to track even with EX options set, so this is conceivably another "easy" 1000 points like DOJBLEX was, with very little skill... just takes lots and lots of grinding.
I got over 400 points in the first day of playing. But lots of secret achievements that are still locked. Is there a list of all achievements with English translation available yet?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

ex.machina wrote:I got over 400 points in the first day of playing. But lots of secret achievements that are still locked. Is there a list of all achievements with English translation available yet?
Most of them are here. Kiken's post has some of the secret ones.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
InsaneNutter

Post by InsaneNutter »

Ghegs wrote:
ex.machina wrote:I got over 400 points in the first day of playing. But lots of secret achievements that are still locked. Is there a list of all achievements with English translation available yet?
Most of them are here. Kiken's post has some of the secret ones.
Cheers for that, time to start working on some achievements. :mrgreen:
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

It seems that most people here who have the game have already played in on PCB. Well I hadn't.

So, my initial impressions are Famitsu's score is crap. The Famitsu Xbox 360 review is more accurate(well, in terms of what they give good shmups).
The bullet patterns are wonky, and can really throw you off. I don't know how I feel about this yet. They seem to try to trick you a bit. I'll have to get used to it.
I like the look of the game. I'm playing this on a LCD, and it looks basically like the port for DOJ or Raiden Fighters Aces. But it has "nearest neighbor" on it, so if you have a CRT, i'm guessing that would clear up the "blur" look.
Good soundtrack.

I'm thinking this will be a little higher than DOJ quality.

Of course, it takes a while for these games to sink in.

Oh, someone said on this forum that this was easier than Galuda II. I guess they play Galuda II with a blindfold. This game is hard as hell. Galuda II is definitely easier.
lmagus

Post by lmagus »

That statement scares me, as I'm very uncapable of playing Galuda2 well =(

I was hoping it would be DOJ-like difficulty.

I guess I have a very long way to go :P
adversity1

Post by adversity1 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
Oh, someone said on this forum that this was easier than Galuda II. I guess they play Galuda II with a blindfold. This game is hard as hell. Galuda II is definitely easier.
Uh, no.

Is anyone having lag issues with the game? Not massively off, but noticeable. Probably just my LCD I guess.
We are holding the secret power of shmups.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Ketsui is not an easy game by any means, but it's much more approachable than Galuda II.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Jockel

Post by Jockel »

evil_ash_xero wrote: Oh, someone said on this forum that this was easier than Galuda II. I guess they play Galuda II with a blindfold. This game is hard as hell. Galuda II is definitely easier.
Well... if you play for survival only that might be true, but trying to get a decent score in Galuda II is WAY harder than playing Ketsui for score.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

adversity1 wrote:Is anyone having lag issues with the game? Not massively off, but noticeable. Probably just my LCD I guess.
You mean input lag? That's certainly something that I haven't run into playing on my CRT. The game reacts perfectly to what I do on my joystick. The one thing that does irk me a little though, is the frame dropping that occurs on certain patters; namely Sphinx's final red/blue interlaced spiral pattern and BlackDraft's blue razor rain pattern. Maybe it's just my eyes, but both of these patterns in particular appear to be skipping every other frame, which causes a strobe effect (granted, both of them are really obxious patterns, visually, to begin with). Strangely, I haven't noticed any frame drops during the tate ana (the part where the PCB really starts to chug). They should have ditched the Wait On/Off option and instead, included a Frame Skip On/Off.
InsaneNutter

Post by InsaneNutter »

I have never played this game before either, initially the game horrified me! I got game over on the second stage.
After playing it for a bit i got to grips and finished the game with 8 continues on normal, i have since played though it twice more and got that down to around 4-5 continues.
I honestly have no idea if thats good or not, ive not played a lot of shumps... i am really loving this though.

To me anyway this is a million times easier than Galuda II, and a lot more fun :mrgreen:

Has anyone looked at the images in the extras?

Image 126 appears to have some website on, evacindustrial.co.hk? i cant really make it out. Just thought it might be some easter egg or something.

Large Image: http://upload.digiex.net/files/0mg1y9qs8vtsio4vk10e.jpg
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

EVAC Industry.co.ltd
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
CRI

Post by CRI »

now read evac backwards.
i never knew it until adversity1 mentioned it at cave-stg.