Best Gameboy/ GB Color games?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

m3tall1ca wrote: apparently there was a GB2 and a Bomberman Pocket in addition to the other two on the GB alone, and I only played the two I listed. Haven't played Bomberman in years =P

It's confusing. The Japanese Bomberman GB is Wario Blast without Wario and the Japanese Bomberman GB2 is the same game as the western Bomberman GB. There's also Atomic Punk (US)/Dynablaster(EU)/Bomber Boy (JP), which was the very first GB Bomberman with a different name for each region, and Bomberman GB3, which was released only in Japan. Bomberman Pocket GBC plays like a side scrolling platformer mixed with Bomberman.
indstr

Post by indstr »

RoninBuddha wrote:if you love platformers, try out Daiku no Gen San and Samurai Kid,
Tight, thanks dude!
If more 2D people would go to the 2D Gaming Forum, there would be more people to talk about 2D games with other 2D fans on the tootie gaming forum. It's 2Dlicious. For real yall
TLB

Post by TLB »

BrianC wrote:
m3tall1ca wrote: apparently there was a GB2 and a Bomberman Pocket in addition to the other two on the GB alone, and I only played the two I listed. Haven't played Bomberman in years =P

It's confusing. The Japanese Bomberman GB is Wario Blast without Wario and the Japanese Bomberman GB2 is the same game as the western Bomberman GB. There's also Atomic Punk (US)/Dynablaster(EU)/Bomber Boy (JP), which was the very first GB Bomberman with a different name for each region, and Bomberman GB3, which was released only in Japan. Bomberman Pocket GBC plays like a side scrolling platformer mixed with Bomberman.
O.o Thanks for the info lol!

And HELL yeah, those Red Coin challenges were awesome =P

I totally forgot about Megaman Xtreme! I think some fuckhead stole mine (and I think I know who it was; he'd best keep his distance for the rest of his life, as apparently he got a lot of my old shit before he moved). I loved Zain and Geemel and the Street Fighter moves, too =P

Hm. I thought I had something else to discuss-ola or something. GBC rawks.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

So indstr what GB variation are you playing these on and where do you find these old games? Only thing I can think of is ebay, or possibly a small game-trading store.

I busted out my brother's old GBA for some Donkey Kong today, hah. They give you way too many lives in it.
indstr

Post by indstr »

themachinist wrote:So indstr what GB variation are you playing these on and where do you find these old games? Only thing I can think of is ebay, or possibly a small game-trading store.

I busted out my brother's old GBA for some Donkey Kong today, hah. They give you way too many lives in it.
SP, backlight baybee.. I've got a friend who is a game collector and has quite a few games of most major systems so I am trying to see if I can borrow some stuff from him. And of course there is a quirky/indie local used bookstore which has a good selection of games as well :)

And yes, they do give you wayyy to many lives in DK... Although now that I'm around level 75, I'm starting to need them a bit :) (Still have around 60 extra lives though)
If more 2D people would go to the 2D Gaming Forum, there would be more people to talk about 2D games with other 2D fans on the tootie gaming forum. It's 2Dlicious. For real yall
glitch

Post by glitch »

Image Image

Image Image

called X.
(try goggling that >_< )
by the people behind StarFox.
vector 3D on GB.
gorgeous.

Trip World is sort of halfway kirby and, well, trippy.

also, +1 for Metroid II.

oh and there's this nice little puzzler called "Tetris" you should try it it's fun.
bombs save lives
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Ah SP. A backlight would be really nice... none on the GBA tho :( .
I really like the extra jumping techniques they've added in DK. I've beaten the game probably like 20 times so I'm sort of blazing through right now. You're rekindling my interest in the GB, for the old school nostalgia factor. It'd be cool if they made a backlit system for regular GB games, having the cartridge stick out of the GBA-type units is a bit annoying and unstreamlined :lol: . I think there was one in Japan at one point.
Oh here it ishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_l ... _Boy_Light
I want one!!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Some time ago I got a Gamecube for the sole purpose of playing GB/GBC/GBA games through the Game Boy Player and even got the Hori GB pad to go with it. It's a good setup to play these games and can be put together pretty cheaply.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
indstr

Post by indstr »

themachinist wrote: Oh here it ishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_l ... _Boy_Light
I want one!!
I read about that a while back... I bet they are rare and expensive though

I managed to nab a copy of solomon's club today. I am quite enjoying it so far. Looked it up on Wikipedia and see there was a precursor for arcade & NES called Solomon's key ... The name of which sounds vaguely familiar but I never actually played back in the day. Gonna have to check that out too.

Puzzle platformers, I love em. Maybe we should start a thread about those too for all systems
Zebra Airforce

Post by Zebra Airforce »

Solomon's Key is great. I'll have to check out Solomon's Club, too.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Zebra Airforce wrote:Solomon's Key is great. I'll have to check out Solomon's Club, too.
indstr wrote: I managed to nab a copy of solomon's club today. I am quite enjoying it so far. Looked it up on Wikipedia and see there was a precursor for arcade & NES called Solomon's key ... The name of which sounds vaguely familiar but I never actually played back in the day. Gonna have to check that out too.
Yeah, I mentioned them earlier, along with an overlooked GBC game that is worth checking out:
BrianC wrote: Solomon's Club and Solomon/Monster Rancher Explorer GBC: Great action/puzzle games that play like Solomon's Key. GBC one has the Monster Rancher license (even the JP one with the different name), but has more screen area and has a nifty edit mode.
Despite the license, I like Monster Rancher Explorer a bit better than Solomon's Club. Both are great, though. The NES Solomon's Key that I was referring to is great fun and worth checking out if you like Solomon's Club. indstr, I didn't know that you haven't played it. Sorry about that.

Edit: doh. I was wrong about more screen area in Monster Rancher Explorer. Different sprites played tricks on me. The small levels are about the same size as the ones in Solomon's Club (and some of them are reused, though it's not a port of Solomon's Club to the GBC), though it also has larger scrolling levels. The control is MRE is different form Solomon's Club with the jump button and more like Solomon's Key with up used as jump. Still comes highly recommened, especially with the save and edit mode.
Last edited by BrianC on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Dragon Warrior 1,2,3
Dragon Warrior Monsters 1 and 2
Final Fantasy 1,2,3
R Type DX
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
indstr

Post by indstr »

BrianC wrote: Yeah, I mentioned them earlier,
I know, that's why I got it because it looked like it would tickle my fancy, and it sure does!
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Does anyone know if the Star Ocean: Blue Sphere (sp?) is any good? I've seen it around and figure I should pick it up since GBC games may be hard to find in the near future...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Koa Zo wrote:
indstr wrote:Sounds interesting! Obscure stuff is always welcome :D At first I couldn't find anything on that game and it turns out it is actually called "The Adventures of Star Saver", aka "Rubble saver" ...

I'll definitely check it out
Ah, "The Adventures of Star Saver"! I never would have guessed this was released in the west! And by Taito of all companies. Cool!
eBay seller SAFJ had a loose cart for sale for $1.99 for ages, and the name alone drew me, "Rubble Saver", but I was never able to find info about it on the web, besides one lone screenshot.
Finally bought the loose cart, just to see if I'd strike gold. And indeed I did.

this review from gamefaqssums up my impressions, though in the end I'd give the game an 8/10
There was also a sequel that come out only in Japan and Europe (Rubble Saver 2 in Japan and Max in Europe). I tried it out and it's interesting. The grappling hook was made easier to use, it now takes two hits to get knocked out of the robot, and you stayed powered up, even as a boy, until you die.

I didn't notice any difference between Max and Rubble Saver 2 besides the title screen, but I noticed an odd difference with Rubble Saver 1 and Adventures of Star Saver. Star Saver has a boy piloting the robot and Rubble Saver has a girl. Oddly enough, both the Japanese Rubble Saver 2 and Max have a boy pilot that looks just like the one in Adventures of Star Saver.
indstr wrote: I know, that's why I got it because it looked like it would tickle my fancy, and it sure does!
cool!
320x240

Post by 320x240 »

BrianC wrote:There was also a sequel that come out only in Japan and Europe (Rubble Saver 2 in Japan and Max in Europe).
Yuck! Max is a Europlatformer(tm). The originals tight level design is replaced by more open (ie. more advanced in a euros mind) levels. The use of the grappling hook is nice, it's just a shame the game is 'floaty'.
nem

Post by nem »

Classic B/W Gameboy games are awesome. I have a really short attention span and they're perfect for my ADD gaming habits. In fact, I've started collecting them and have a nice loose cart collection of some 70ish games.
BrianC wrote:There's also Atomic Punk (US)/Dynablaster(EU)/Bomber Boy (JP), which was the very first GB Bomberman with a different name for each region
They're also slightly different games, as Bomber Boy has an extra mode.
themachinist wrote:Oh here it ishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_l ... _Boy_Light
I want one!!
I actually bought a NOS GBL sometime ago, and was a quite disappointed in it. I love the form factor, but the screen is utterly pants. Static screens look alright, but anything with a moving background smears completely and you can't make heads or tails out of it. Forget playing scrolling platformers with this thing.

Which is why GBA SP backlit is my preferred console, such a great super sharp screen. I know of someone who (shoddily) transplanted SP guts into a brick style Gameboy case, which is something I would really like to try out.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

nem wrote: They're also slightly different games, as Bomber Boy has an extra mode.
You mean the classic Bomberman? That's not missing from Atomic Punk or Dynablaster. It was just renamed. Atomic Punk/Dynablaster Game B even has the Bomberman music on the title screen. I didn't notice any extra modes for Bomber Boy, it just has "Bomber Boy" and "Bomber Man" on the title screen instead of "Game A" and "Game B" and the "Vs. Mode" option, which is in all three versions. Three modes on the title screen for all three versions.
I actually bought a NOS GBL sometime ago, and was a quite disappointed in it. I love the form factor, but the screen is utterly pants. Static screens look alright, but anything with a moving background smears completely and you can't make heads or tails out of it. Forget playing scrolling platformers with this thing.
Sounds just like the GBP, only with a light. I heard of the GBL and knew they looked like a GBP, but I didn't know they were THAT close. I prefer the SP for my GB b/w games as well, though the GBC has the advantage of a slightly bigger screen size for the games.

Other games I recommend:

Batman: Has the odd "Batman with a gun" thing going on, but I found it to be a fun platformer with some neat power ups, a couple nifty shmup stages, and excellent music.

Radar Mission: 2 games in 1, a shameless, but well done Battleship clone (that actually plays more like Battleship than the official version, which was actually a localized version of a game named Navy Blue) and a game that plays like an updated version of 70s submarine games.

Great Greed: A simplistic, but fun RPG with a great deal of charm and characters named after food.

Wario Land 2 GB and Wario Land 3 GBC - Platformers with puzzle elements and no die gameplay where you change into different forms (often by getting hit by certain enemies) to get past areas.
indstr

Post by indstr »

320x240 wrote:Europlatformer(tm)
Europlatformer, euroshmup... Apparently europeans just don't know how to make games? :lol:
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

nem wrote:
themachinist wrote:Oh here it ishttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_l ... _Boy_Light
I want one!!

Which is why GBA SP backlit is my preferred console, such a great super sharp screen. I know of someone who (shoddily) transplanted SP guts into a brick style Gameboy case, which is something I would really like to try out.
I have a second-hand GBL and I don't agree with this at all. I have no problems playing Metroid 2, Kirby's Dream Land, Mario Lands, Operation C, etc..
It's a slightly blurry, the backgrounds at the most, while moving although it's far from a big deal. I think this should have been released over here as opposed to the standalone Pocket.

As for comments regarding similarities, they are nearly identical the GBL and GBP. The Light is a bit thicker, due to the design of the battery cover, but otherwise they're pretty much the same. Same crummy d-pad too. I actually don't like the SP's d-pad either, which is why I'd rather an original GBA with Afterburner for my ideal backlighted needs. As such a GBL, if found cheap enough, is a good pickup. I paid about $20 for mine for the record.

I will admit that the SP inside the original GB case is a great idea, although it might be more useful if there were instructions on procedure how to DIY.
Last edited by Limbrooke on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
gabe

Post by gabe »

This thread just made me dig out my GBA SP.

Next step: Buy new games.
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Which GB system would you guys say has the best d-pad?
indstr

Post by indstr »

themachinist wrote:Which GB system would you guys say has the best d-pad?
I've heard amazing things about the micro but I've never actually used one...
nem

Post by nem »

Micro doesn't play classic Gameboy games, just GBA ones. Plus, I found it too small: I had to squint at the screen, and it gave me hand cramps.
Limbrooke wrote:I have a second-hand GBL and I don't agree with this at all. I have no problems playing Metroid 2, Kirby's Dream Land, Mario Lands, Operation C, etc..
It's a slightly blurry, the backgrounds at the most, while moving although it's far from a big deal.
Maybe my mine was mine from a bad batch, or maybe I'm just a sucker for pin sharp screens. *shrug*

For the record, I find the same problem in the old Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket systems.
lgb

Post by lgb »

The GBA is the best Nintendo handheld yet. Everything else is missing something.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

nem wrote:For the record, I find the same problem in the old Gameboy and Gameboy Pocket systems.
Oh I agree, in fact the original Game Boy might even be worse with regards to blur than the GBP/L. All the same, I spent most of the day during daylight and lowlight/night playing Metroid 2 and I found it to be no problem at all. Granted, I wish the GBC had a backlight as games look very sharp on that system. Either that or I preferred the GBASP. No matter light versus no light wins out in my books and my GBL is here to stay.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

lgb wrote:The GBA is the best Nintendo handheld yet. Everything else is missing something.
You may have something there. COMPLETELY compatible with earlier systems , wide range of genres covered even some shmups. Comfortable design with deep-cut D Pad and buttons. Emulation of NES possible. Uses common batteries rather than expensive peripheral battery pack. No charging simply swap any old batteries in. ALL battery packs eventually become worthless as they loose their initial capacity.
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
stoka

Post by stoka »

+1 for Metroid II, Operation C, Link's Awakening, Gargoyle's Quest, Metal Gear :D

Mole Mania -Forgotten Miyamoto game, avesome puzzler. One of my favorite Game Boy games.

Kid Dracula - Very nice platformer from Konami.

Ninja Gaiden Shadow (Shadow Warriors in EU) - Great game.

Solar Striker - Nice Shmup from Nintendo.

Chalvo 55 - Fun puzzler, late release from japan. Was originally planned for Virtual Boy.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

glitch wrote:called X.
(try goggling that >_< )
by the people behind StarFox.
vector 3D on GB.
gorgeous.
Not too tough, actually.

Marks Totaka's Song's first appearance.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

and nobody talks about the bugs bunny game on the GBC. it was amazing as well as the wario land games.