Northeast

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
schnoo

Re: Northeast

Post by schnoo »

boston here!!
@JohnPolson on Twitter
John Polson
ECZangief

Post by ECZangief »

Providence, RI.

Bonus: There's two shooter fans at the same address.
BrightSuzaku

Post by BrightSuzaku »

Wait, D.C. counts as Northeast? I'm about 45 minutes away from there, over in Maryland!

Gah, I've never been farther North than this, I think.... e_e
Gamertag: IceCoffin
I'm as invisible as Battle Garegga's bullets!
adoseofpain

Post by adoseofpain »

First post! But... I'm located in Rhode Island, about an hour and fifteen from Boston.
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

Anyone in Philly?
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
astro city ninja

Post by astro city ninja »

I'm in north attleboro, ma providence is real close to me
http://evilninjachris.deviantart.com/

xboxlive: evilninjachris
Jisho23

Post by Jisho23 »

New York/Storrs CT. at the present moment.
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

I'm from Finland, Uusimaa.
ImageImage
promking

Post by promking »

Long Island New York 8)
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

I,m in Haverhill, Ma now. Not really that far from where I was before in Andover. A meet up at the Arcades in Salisbury Beach and Hampton Beach could be cool. I haven't been since Last summer but I know there was at least some old school shooters.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Octopod wrote:I,m in Haverhill, Ma now. Not really that far from where I was before in Andover. A meet up at the Arcades in Salisbury Beach and Hampton Beach could be cool. I haven't been since Last summer but I know there was at least some old school shooters.
Do they have anything good at the Hampton arcade? I've yet to check it out despite living only a half hour away.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

I haven't gone at all this year and my wife always rushes me when I go with her :( . I remember they had a Raiden Fighters game and they have some of those 1000 in 1 games or whatever it is. I think I spent more time at Salisbury Beach. I recall they had an Arkanoid and a Simpsons 4-player there. I need to go back sometime without being rushed out of the arcades.

I believe one of the arcades at Hampton Beach burned down this summer.

Have you ever been to Funspot? I really like classic games and keep wanting to make a trip there but keep putting it off. The place sounds awesome though.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I'm lucky that my old lady is understanding about the nerd stuff and let's me take my time in arcades (usually). Maybe I'll get a chance to go down there in the next few weeks and see what they have. Funspot is on my "to do" list before the weather gets shitty. There's enough stuff there that my girlfriend and I could make a day of it and have her not get bored to tears.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

There really isn't much at the Salisbury and Hampton arcades, at least if your looking for 90's 2d games.
Hampton had a Raiden Fighters cab. "Joe's Playland" at Salisbury Beach had a Final Fight cab with a broken 1 player stick. Oh, they had a 2 slot MVS with broken sticks too.

Last summer there was this tiny whole in the wall arcade at Hampton that had a Strikers cab. That place turned into a clothing store this summer. One of the larger arcades at Hampton burned down this winter.

I guess it only gets worse from here.
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Well school started back so that is another year without going to Funspot. We should try to have a meet up there next summer since there is plenty of time to plan in advance.
Blue Protoman

Post by Blue Protoman »

I'm on Long Island. I'm a minor, though, so it doesn't matter.

"Hey mom, can you drive me to northern Maine so I can attend a video game convention with a bunch of people I don't know?"
"In your dreams."
Thestreetzking

Re:

Post by Thestreetzking »

Hanuman wrote:I'm in Poughkeepsie, NY.
same here
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

I'm about 20 minutes away from Boston. Y'know, there's a cool place called Game Underground in Framingham. They may not have arcade cabinets, but I bet a couple of us could bring our Xbox's and such and play some shmups. It's a pretty big place too, and they got other arcade stuff too.

I'm just throwing the idea around since the NE is pretty much dead for shmupmeets. I'm almost considering trying to start a shmup community at Game Underground myself.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I'm in western MA - pioneer valley 5 college area. We could play some shmups and then go out bar hopping and hit on college girls.

Some fun facts about my area:
Scooby-Doo's characters are rumored to be based on each of the 5 colleges here (Umass, Amherst, Hampshire, Mount Holyoke, and Smith).
"The Grinch" lives on the mountain that I can see from my window.
The Pixies went to college at Umass and wrote a song about it.
Lord Jeffery Amherst killed lots of Indians with smallpox, typical "peace-treaty".
Smith college has lots of Lesbians and girls who definitely aren't Lesbian but pretend they are.

Anyway, I believe that another board member "Sourdiesel" lives near me but he hasn't been around lately.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

I'm 15 mins north of Boston. As andsuchisdeath pointed out, Hampton and Salisbury don't have much to offer these days. And sorry to break it to you guys but Funspot really ain't worth a damn. hardly any 90s games and the majority of the cabs need to be serviced and will just eat your quarters. but if you do make the trip up to Funspot, seek out the Half Moon Arcade at Weirs Beach. between the two arcades it'll be worth the drive.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

There is Fun and Games in Framingham too, but the only shmup thing there is Strikers 1945, I think. This laundromat in Framingham also had Strikers so we could meet up there too! (oh god just imagine that)
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

EllertMichael wrote:I'm 15 mins north of Boston. As andsuchisdeath pointed out, Hampton and Salisbury don't have much to offer these days. And sorry to break it to you guys but Funspot really ain't worth a damn. hardly any 90s games and the majority of the cabs need to be serviced and will just eat your quarters. but if you do make the trip up to Funspot, seek out the Half Moon Arcade at Weirs Beach. between the two arcades it'll be worth the drive.
My old lady took me and a friend to Funspot for my birthday and I thought it was pretty awesome. A handful of games were out of order and I had a few tokens taken by games and though that sucks, overall it was a blast. You get a shitload of tokens for $20 and most everything except racing games and the newer light guns are one token per play. Even with some of the games I wanted to play being out of order (Smash TV), I still had a lot of stuff to play in the classic game room (Zookeeper, Robotron, Contra, Arkanoid, Ghosts and Goblins, Tapper), outside the "classics" area (Outrun and multiplayer Daytona was a blast), and a bunch of pinball too. I'll have to look for the Half Moon next time.
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

Acid King wrote:
EllertMichael wrote:I'm 15 mins north of Boston. As andsuchisdeath pointed out, Hampton and Salisbury don't have much to offer these days. And sorry to break it to you guys but Funspot really ain't worth a damn. hardly any 90s games and the majority of the cabs need to be serviced and will just eat your quarters. but if you do make the trip up to Funspot, seek out the Half Moon Arcade at Weirs Beach. between the two arcades it'll be worth the drive.
My old lady took me and a friend to Funspot for my birthday and I thought it was pretty awesome. A handful of games were out of order and I had a few tokens taken by games and though that sucks, overall it was a blast. You get a shitload of tokens for $20 and most everything except racing games and the newer light guns are one token per play. Even with some of the games I wanted to play being out of order (Smash TV), I still had a lot of stuff to play in the classic game room (Zookeeper, Robotron, Contra, Arkanoid, Ghosts and Goblins, Tapper), outside the "classics" area (Outrun and multiplayer Daytona was a blast), and a bunch of pinball too. I'll have to look for the Half Moon next time.
Yeah... maybe I'm being a little too hard on good old Funspot. I should just be happy the place even exists at all.
mrsmiley381

Post by mrsmiley381 »

I guess I might as well post in this thread. I'm in Rochester, NY, so I'm definitely way more west than most of you, but I am in the process of preparing to build Superguns, so, you know, that might be useful.
Why is it called the Vic Viper/Warp Rattler? Because the Options trail behind it in a serpent-like fashion, and the iconic front fins are designed to invoke the image of a snake's fangs.
zendor118

Post by zendor118 »

I'm 10 minutes south of boston. When I was in college, I used to put dollars and dollars of quarters into Raider Fighter Aces down in the billards/arcade room located in the George Sherman Union. Wonder if it's still there?!? Anyway, new to the forum, so hello to all out there. I have a US XBox console and looking for some more shmups to add to my collection. So far have the following:

Raiden IV
Raiden Fighter Aces
Deathsmiles
Espgaluda II Black Label
Mushihimesame Futari 1.5
Otomedius Excellent (pre-ordered at GameStop)

I'm working to locate a new copy of Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets and Bullet Soul.
Also have 1600 XLBA points to consider which games to D/L.

Unfortunately, I purchased the 4GB xbox model with kinect so my HD is limited in capacity. Maybe I'll upgrade when I run out of space.

Anyway, if there are any other SHMUPS out there on the xbox 360, let me know, I'd be happy to look into it and add to my collection.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Aight, I wanna start a community here. There is a place in Framingham, MA called Game Underground. They have plenty of arcade machines, including a Neo Geo cab with a few shmups. They also have 4 HD TVs for use. For $15, we can use the TV's for 2 hours and we also get pizza and drinks.

I talked to the manager about it and he was all up for the idea. It's possible to set up games like Ikaruga and other classic shmups. People could also bring their Xbox's and TATE TVs to play as well. There would definitely shit to do to not get bored. We could possibly schedule a monthly meet-up here!

The northeast is dead in terms of shmupmeets, and I really want to change that. If people are down for the idea, let me know.
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

ratikal wrote:Aight, I wanna start a community here. There is a place in Framingham, MA called Game Underground. They have plenty of arcade machines, including a Neo Geo cab with a few shmups. They also have 4 HD TVs for use. For $15, we can use the TV's for 2 hours and we also get pizza and drinks.

I talked to the manager about it and he was all up for the idea. It's possible to set up games like Ikaruga and other classic shmups. People could also bring their Xbox's and TATE TVs to play as well. There would definitely shit to do to not get bored. We could possibly schedule a monthly meet-up here!

The northeast is dead in terms of shmupmeets, and I really want to change that. If people are down for the idea, let me know.
I like everything about what you just said.
Fridays work best for me :wink:
racer445

Post by racer445 »

Game Underground is a fantastic little place. They've got ITG2, IIDX, Popn, and Inital D v4 too, all in great condition. I'm about 40 minutes from there and the travel is worth it just to play ITG with clean pads. The owners are totally cool folks so I doubt it would be hard to organize a meet there, and it's pretty central of a location as far as Massachusetts goes. Someone set it up!

The Strikers machine at Fun and Games was a mess last I saw it. Loose sticks and wrecked up cab. It's such a shame TGA isn't around anymore.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I might be interested. Google maps says it's about an hour and 40 minutes from me. Fridays and saturdays are the only days that work for me.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Only problem is that on Friday's is there Fight Night which has a pretty big turnout. But I don't see any other day that would work best.