Wishicon 2008 /*/ Detroit Metro Area /*/ July 19th

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

See you dudes there and I'll be happy to meet anyone else that I don't know.
pixeljunkie

Post by pixeljunkie »

overkill55 wrote:Who wouldn't point of the hardware that would be present to entice people to come?
QFT

Half the reason for meetups is to see other people's toys and play stuff you don't have, and share your stuff with others. That's true for any hobby's meetups.

Much ado about nothing
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Sonic R wrote:
Anytime you are planning to be in the Detroit area feel free to let me know! Ayanami, a few others, and myself usually hang out every other weekend. We enjoy company of good folk who enjoy shoot them up games!
cool thanks :)
TriggerHeartExelica

Post by TriggerHeartExelica »

Who is being cliquish? I honestly coulda given a shit less what you guys had going on. I probably would've even rearranged the date so people who chose to do so could attend both.
I just dont like how this has been planned for nearly two months and two weeks out it all falls apart. Sue me for being pissed off that I wasted my time on something only to have it pretty much fucked up on such short notice. I really have better things to do with my time then plan these little shindigs so from now on Im handing the reigns over to someone else. Its really not worth the hassle and me being pissed off over:)
It’s almost over. It’s just begun.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

……
Last edited by Sonic R on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danox574

Post by danox574 »

Holy cow guys. Pretty out of control on everyone's part.

Wishi is a pretty tight group. I'm one of the early members and in a way, it has a somewhat rotating membership. Virtually all members of shmup fans. It is not exclusionary by any means, but it is something that you need to be recommended into. Why? Because there is a private forum where we discuss things in greater depth than you might find on a public forum. We have our collections, addresses and phone numbers, other personal information, and we generally bullshit among each other as trusted friends. A couple times a year, we get together. It involves travel as we are situated all over (and outside) the country. We also sell/trade among one another at reduced rates and we try to keep our collections within the family. It's a safe trading haven and a bunch of friends. That forum is private for a reason, it contains a lot of information (like, where there are large game collections and how to find them, other personal information, employment information, Rob's battle with genital herpes, etc.)

I drove down to Alabama and captured this gem with my buds from that forum containing 3 wishi members and a certain celebrity.

This year, our gathering happens to be next weekend. We consulted no one because at the time, and in the past, it has essentially been private for the purpose of Wishi-folk getting together and putting faces with names and discussing issues relevant to our forum and we only get to do it rarely. That crew in the picture went to a Neo gathering last time we were down south, we did not hole up and exclude anyone.

This year, the gathering is an extended weekend. Because of that, we have like three and a half days together, everyone is crashing on floors and hanging out at the two points of gaming (mine and Eric's house). We discussed it and decided that since we were having a good gathering of equipment, games, ginger ales, where fun would be abound and shmup fans would be present, we decided to make the invite public for the people that might want to hang. At no point were there bad intentions.

Sonic R's mission statement of togetherness seems like it would be supported well by a group of buds getting together for a day and night of gaming. I'm not exactly sure why some people have reacted badly, gotten upset, felt slighted, whined, or otherwise misbehaved -- we are having a party, and we invited you (or, as Rob would say, y'all). It's a social thing to do. We thought it would be fun. We decided fairly recently to let Rob reach out to some additional people, and he chose to approach a whole forum of fans.

Exactly what is our 'own agenda' you speak of, that Wishi has? How are we going against your mission? Who are we looking down upon as we grow up and invite people? Spitting in your face?

I'm sorry sir, inviting people to join our gaming gathering is not spitting in your face, and frankly, if you think inviting people into your home is somehow dastardly, exclusionary, trolling, or class warfare, you might want to check your assumptions. If you believe Rob mentioning a gathering that is already scheduled and recently opened up to those who may want to join, you may want to check your gyroscopes for alignment.

Now, in the afternoon, we'll be at my house in Sterling Heights, MI, after lunch. There's quite a few imported toys there, boards, cabs, games, consoles, even a few things that might surprise you from the land of the rising sun. I don't open it up to people in general. Don't come if you're allergic to dogs, either. That will last until around dinner time and the party will migrate to Royal Oak which will be a bit wilder at Eric's. If you want to drop by and game, go ahead, if you don't, don't. If you're emotionally invested in your July 19 plans to the point of frustration, calm yourself. No one is out to get you.

Make sure to hit Rob up if you're up for some gaming that night (of all types, including MAHVEL BABY!!) (scoops), and if you can't, maybe next time.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

Hey I have the herpes under control now Dan*

*wishful thinking
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I'll pretty much go where the people are, but I will say if the usual shmups crew is doing something I'm partial to that, simply because I'm closer and know what I can and don't have to bring.

So let me know when this gets all settled...I'll go with whatever.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
themisterfalcon

Post by themisterfalcon »

robivy64 wrote:Hey I have the herpes under control now Dan*

*wishful thinking
Image uh oh...

Well said though Dan.

I've kicked it with a few people from MGF and it was cool. Thrown a few invites out but nothing has really materialized from it (schedules, the usual Detroit SGNs etc.)

My view on it is we are looking for friends to game with in MI, Wishi weekend or otherwise. What's the point of having all this hardware and common interests if you can't share it with some cool people?

If you guys wanna come out and party serious* on Saturday late night (after the other gathering, after Wishi at Dan's) hit Rob up for the info.

*drink beer :mrgreen:
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

……
Last edited by Sonic R on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
themisterfalcon

Sonic R wrote: I am off for model year changeover and am readily available to straight matters out.
Model Year noooooo...haha the irony. Chrysler employee?
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

I called Sammy Stephens and he said he won't be able to make it. He said he's just like he's just like really sorry.

No need to edit him into the thread title now. Although "Michigan party for drinking alcohol... many cabinets NOW WITH SAMMY STEPHENS" has a special ring to it.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

……
Last edited by Sonic R on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

On a serious note, thanks for clearing everything up Dan. I will see some of you on Saturday!
TriggerHeartExelica

Post by TriggerHeartExelica »

Im waiting to hear back from Dave and Katie about what they are going to do.
Maybe we will go to wishi washi if we are welcomed.
It’s almost over. It’s just begun.
kccttzj

Post by kccttzj »

The Wishi Washi crew has been more than kind in extending an invitation to all of us, especially given the contents of this thread.

I'd like to see everyone be able to get together and have a good time. I'd hope that any misunderstanding and uneasiness can be put behind us so that can happen.

I didn't take the weekend off for nothing. I want to play some games, damn it! =P
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

kccttzj wrote: I didn't take the weekend off for nothing. I want to play some games, damn it! =P
Play games we will!
Last edited by Sonic R on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robivy64

Post by robivy64 »

So wait...

Your first post and the thread title mock our gathering AND manage to insult us in the process, despite never saying anything negative about you or what you try to do for the locals. If I am understanding correctly, now you want to come to this horrid gathering filled with drunks and cabinet elitists?

I would PM you this information, but I would be lying if I said that I was enthusiastic about you coming, and with good reason. You wouldn't want someone coming to your house after they shit all over an event you were kind enough to invite them too. I just don't think this will work out for you Sonic R, considering what you have said and the way you have acted towards us, nobody will be terribly happy if you grace us with your presence. I hate being a jerk, but I have tried to be very friendly and respectful and you still find the need to insult us. I hope you see where I am coming from. Inviting you and others to a gathering is hardly malicious intent, and I fail to see how it can be construed as such. I'm glad that this sort of behavior is not the norm amongst gamers in the Detroit area.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

robivy64 wrote:So wait...

Your first post and the thread title mock our gathering AND manage to insult us in the process, despite never saying anything negative about you or what you try to do for the locals. If I am understanding correctly, now you want to come to this horrid gathering filled with drunks and cabinet elitists?

I would PM you this information, but I would be lying if I said that I was enthusiastic about you coming, and with good reason. You wouldn't want someone coming to your house after they shit all over an event you were kind enough to invite them too. I just don't think this will work out for you Sonic R, considering what you have said and the way you have acted towards us, nobody will be terribly happy if you grace us with your presence. I hate being a jerk, but I have tried to be very friendly and respectful and you still find the need to insult us. I hope you see where I am coming from. Inviting you and others to a gathering is hardly malicious intent, and I fail to see how it can be construed as such. I'm glad that this sort of behavior is not the norm amongst gamers in the Detroit area.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:36 pm
robivy64 wrote:I would like to extend an offer for anyone who would like to join us on that Saturday, July 19th. Details are still being worked out, but feel free to post here if you would like to meet up with us. We would certainly enjoy meeting everyone. I will PM those who are interested with details when we smooth them out. We are looking at having this in Sterling Heights and/or Royal Oak.
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:52 pm
robivy64 wrote:One of the events will probably be at the owner of Southtown-Homebrew's house, and he has a near complete MVS collection with several nice 2P candy cabs, but sure 8)
Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:27 pm
robivy64 wrote:Southtown is an official US vender of the UniBIOS chip, so he should have that covered too :p
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:21 am
robivy64 wrote:OK we have the details sorted, and ill send some PMs out early next week to those who have confirmed that they would like to come. We will probably meet at Dan's after lunch and game in his arcade room until around dinner, then party it up in Royal Oak that night (drinking + shmups FTW). Both locations have some Japanese candy cabs.
Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:04 pm
robivy64 wrote:I like how the thread title keeps changing in an attempt to poke fun at our gathering. People wanted to go, so I extended an invite...

If you want to go PM me. If you don't want to go, don't PM me. People asked about it, so I told them about it...

I will not post anymore information in this thread.

Last edited by robivy64 on Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Exclusiveness

Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:03 pm
Sonic R wrote:
Dave_K. wrote: Sonic R, there was an exclusive Wishi Washi meetup in your area (Detroit) not too long ago, and they had all the latest cave SH3 boards. We'd have to convince Bay to open this up and try coordinating their next one. http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=16790

That is the thing though, it was "exclusive" and the fellowship of the Great Lakes Shooting Club, were excluded. As is apparent on these boards there is a big divide between console and PCB players. And it is known that I personally am on the console side and have been look down upon for it :cry:

I enjoy the fellowship of people and video games but sometime others are place difference infront of that and is what is create the highbrow culture that is seem to be around PCB playing…

Anyway I am open and very flexable to what ever and for those who know of me I am indeed a friendly fellow and I am about anything that can bring people and games together for a time of enjoyment. It is just that sometime, epsecially for me, I get shit on for not being highbrow. Sorry for rant I am apologize for bring a good concept too far off topic :oops: I will see my way out now…
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Now hang on just one second.
Sorry it has taken me so long to post, but I wanted to get some things sorted out and talk to Sonic R in person to figure out what he was trying to accomplish with every thing.

I hope that you believe me when I say that James (Sonic R) has not meant any ill will towards you guys and truly wants to get together to meet with more fans of the genre. The internet here has made things lost in translation here, and if you want to blame James' wording of things then fine. But I assure you that any of the fuzzy responses that were made were because he like many of us, really did not want to intrude or make it feel like we were intruding on your guy's meet. I also feel that this "us against them" mentality has been blown way out of proportion, and it all stems from a silly misunderstanding from way back in the day. Hell, I thought too that James had something against you guys and was concerned. But there was no conspiring against the evil cabinet owners or their ways, and much of the weird bits of conversation here is just because he is concerned with information for attending the meet. He is also just trying to remind people to be flexible, we have a few people that don't really do the whole drinking scene any more and wants to let people know that is going to be a part of the gathering. He really does not take offense to people who drink, because if that were the case he would have ditched my drunkard ass for a friend long ago.

I really think the internet is fucking with peoples view of people here. And would like to believe that there would be no problems with any body if they met in the good old RL first.

I would love to attend as I stated before, and I feel that every one that attends our meets would love to go as well. And I humbly ask for directions and formal invitation via PM. We are definitely at your mercy here, but I really hope that you guys give Sonic R a chance. He is a fine upstanding dude, and I really believe that most of the misunderstandings have been brought up due to the fact that he was trying not to offend any one.

That is my two bits.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Sonic R wrote:
My Mission:
•to unite people of the Great Lakes region that share a common interest of shooting video games and video games in general.
•to welcome all people equally — no exclusivity, open to all
•to offer an environment where everyone can feel comfortable and have a good time.
•to create everlasting fellowship — even beyond video game.
I had a mission and now your intention was to poke fun at ME.

All I ever wanted to do, and feel free for reading all of the thread, is get together with people to socialize and enjoy video games.

All you care about is to make fun at me and laughing at me because I am differnt and of a different culture. It is clear you never want me and you post in this thread by error.

Wishi Washi is indeed a class of exclusivness. I am invite you to my home as I believe to give all people an equal share of chance. I do not discriminate in any way… maybe because I have been discriminated on in my life time I never wish to bring that upon people. You show your true colors and all I ever wanted to do was just make friends. I have been left in the dark this whole time and finally when I have talked to a couple people literally tonight. I return home to this. I was at a moment of waiting for communication, something the Wishi Washi clearly lack, I offer my informations as I DO NOT hide ANYTHING, maybe I am too naive, too nice or too stupid… IT is a clear that I was never wanted and now the truth comes out.

Lack of communication is what was happening and how am I suppose to update a thread without informations? NO ONE EVER approach me for formal invites! I cannot contact anyone because
•I was clearly to be left out
•There is no one clear to even speak with

Am I suppose to communicate with a man from another state about intruding to someones home?

IT is abundantly clear what the whole agenda was and that was to tease me and make me a fool.
Ayanami

Post by Ayanami »

Jazz bro, I really don't think that was their intention.

You need to calm down man, you are making it very hard for us to defend you against these accusations. I just talked to ya man, was I mistaken in thinking that these misunderstandings were nothing more than misunderstandings?

I am starting to get a loss of words here man. You gotta help me out here.

I believe that like me and the others you just want to hang out with others that enjoy shooters and video games in general, right? PCBs and consoles should have nothing to do with this.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

All I ever want to do was for people to come together and unite for a passion of video games in general.

People of all walks of life.

What is unfolding is that I never had any kind of information, a PM, a phone call, a "formal" invite…

This was the original post when I had information:
Ok time to start a new thread! Looking to start a "shooting club" where folks can get together and play some shooties! A couple of us already get together about every other week right now.

Perhaps we can meet monthly if possible. We can even move it around from other peoples homes as well.

Lets try to get something together. Post here if interested!

#1)March 3, 2007 Gathering - Complete!

#2)May 12, 2007 Gathering - Complete!

#3)July 14, 2007 Gathering - Complete!

#3½)December 8, 2007 Gathering - Complete!

#4)March 29, 2008 Gathering - Complete!

Gathering #5 — Summer 2008
Tentative Date set at July 19, 2008
(subject to review)

Place:
Ayanami's celler — confirmed (Thanks again!)

Time:
6pm* - ???

Sonic R's shooting game collection

Bring:
Favorite controller or arcade stick
Favorite drink
Favorite games to play
some cash (at least $5) for eats (likely to be HUNGRY HOWIES or Cottage Inn )

***Any questions or concerns - ***
PLEASE let Ayanami, TriggerHeartExelica, or Sonic R Know!!! Post or PM

*Start time can be negotiated — If desire for an earlier time just let me know - Thank You.
It became appearent that the above post was at the risk of being incorrect…
Information was not being distrubuted in my direction.
As time progress, I put my contact information in several posts and await for anything.
I talk to a couple of friends and we touch base on possible participation.
I continue to await for contact information then get hit with slander.

I continue to have never communicated with anyone about anything to happen on the weekend of July 19

Now I have been formally excluded.
danox574

Post by danox574 »

Anayami, thank you for the effort. Sorry that invites did not go out over PMs. This thread was intended to be the invite, it included everyone, and Rob has offered to coordinate the communication and he asked that initial contact be made via PM. We didn't want to PM a bunch of people and leave others out, so we tried to cover it all here, in the public forum with both myself and dubdubdub plainly making it clear that everyone is welcome. That was it, I'm sorry it wasn't more formal in some way that struck you better. I really don't have the time to deal with it, so Rob is handling the contacts. I just got home now at 4am and I'm working at 9.

James, I'm sorry, your posts in this thread have simply made me uncomfortable (as well as my wife) and we just would rather not have you here in Sterling Heights as we want to relax and you simply do not seem like someone we'd be able to relax around. Your selective listening and accusatory tone is really creepy and I just don't feel warm and fuzzy in the slightest. I'd rather not have you visit me here at this time. Eric (dubdubdub) can speak for himself on his house.

If you meant to say, sounds great, thanks, Dan give me a call and let's work out the details, I guess I would have done it, but all I saw was an enormous about of abuse and you seeming to ignore everything we were saying, telling me you are available to straighten matters out? What matters need straightening out exactly? You are invited with RSVP instructions. Not response is considered non-interest. Sorry I don't have time to handhold this. Then, you post a bunch of Rob's words: Positive comments, invites, letting people know what duplicate equipment they do not need to travel with, and then a little frustration from Rob with a take it or leave it attitude, well deserved by this stage. You quote all that and claim exclusivity at the end? Just bizarre. Inappropriate. Your friend defends you and you follow up his trying to get the conversation back on the rails with further oddness? Man, you have a good friend there, start treating him that way.

If anyone has already talked to Rob and hope to come by, you are welcome. Hate to drive a spike into things, but hopefully you'll reflect on your posts James and see that you've done a lot of social damage here. Sorry for any faux pas in my comments as well, to everyone.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

And it appears that I have been discriminated on yet again…

In any event…

PM sent
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Sonic R wrote:That is the thing though, it was "exclusive" and the fellowship of the Great Lakes Shooting Club, were excluded. As is apparent on these boards there is a big divide between console and PCB players. And it is known that I personally am on the console side and have been look down upon for it :cry:

I enjoy the fellowship of people and video games but sometime others are place difference infront of that and is what is create the highbrow culture that is seem to be around PCB playing…
this is completely irrelevant. there are other FORUMS on the internet, let alone outside friendships to the internet. if i have a family reunion and my cousins play my cabs, does that mean i need to extend the invite to all of the regional shmups members?

this situation didn't have anything to do with "discrimination" or whatever you want to call it. it got too far blown out of proportions and now it's safe to say a lot of us (wishi-elitists-pcb-candy cabinet-highbrows) aren't comfortable with your tone and your attitude.

The fact of the matter is we (wishi-washi) have a tight circle of friends, we use the internet as well as other means to communicate on a daily basis with each other and generally have a weekend get-together where we open out homes to each other, share meals with each other and have a good time together. this isn't some sunday morning play games session, it's bigger than that to us. we'll spend time in restaraunts, bars, doing social activities that aren't just playing video games. if we choose to keep that "exclusive" if you will, then that's our decision as a close group of friends and it's none of your business. the invitation was opened to you guys in this thread because we'll be gaming/partying for about 4 days, so we figured merging meets on saturday was a good idea then "certain people" got all shitty.

we party serious.
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

Jonny wrote:
Sonic R wrote:That is the thing though, it was "exclusive" and the fellowship of the Great Lakes Shooting Club, were excluded. As is apparent on these boards there is a big divide between console and PCB players. And it is known that I personally am on the console side and have been look down upon for it :cry:

this is completely irrelevant. there are other FORUMS on the internet, let alone outside friendships to the internet. if i have a family reunion and my cousins play my cabs, does that mean i need to extend the invite to all of the regional shmups members?

this situation didn't have anything to do with "discrimination" or whatever you want to call it. it got too far blown out of proportions and now it's safe to say a lot of us (wishi-elitists-pcb-candy cabinet-highbrows) aren't comfortable with your tone and your attitude.

The fact of the matter is we (wishi-washi) have a tight circle of friends, we use the internet as well as other means to communicate on a daily basis with each other and generally have a weekend get-together where we open out homes to each other, share meals with each other and have a good time together. this isn't some sunday morning play games session, it's bigger than that to us. we'll spend time in restaraunts, bars, doing social activities that aren't just playing video games. if we choose to keep that "exclusive" if you will, then that's our decision as a close group of friends and it's none of your business. the invitation was opened to you guys in this thread because we'll be gaming/partying for about 4 days, so we figured merging meets on saturday was a good idea then "certain people" got all shitty.

we party serious.
Maybe I say it before or not, but I suffer from being able to communicate in a manner that is in understanding. I cannot know how else to put it. I am left with nothing left to say other than the fact I do suffer from being able to write well in english and things have gotten into misinformation. I never had the luxery to belong to a forum like you guys have had as it was my dream but I lack knowledge in computers. Maybe you can gather I am not very smart, I was a community college drop out and I work in automotive manufacturing with nothing more than a high school diploma. My background is Vietmamese, my mother raised me buddist, my father raised me catholic, I am nothing more than a mess of values, ethics, understands and behaviors.

This is something I struggle my whole life. I cannot know what more to put into it or what else to say.
themisterfalcon

This thread is just too much to even wrap my head around :lol:

Dan's house until 6. Party at my house from 9ish to 4am (or whenever).

There will be a keg and there will be *quite a few* non-gamers there. I sent the invite out on both Facebook and Myspace...it's anything but exclusive or discriminatory at my place. But it is guaranteed to be good fun.

There are no strict rules. Be cool with people, don't break my shit, beer isn't allowed in the arcade room once the party starts getting packed. There will be absolutely no console gaming as we need an area for "non-gamers" to hang out.

I think it's important that we make a distinction here...there are two parties this Saturday. So if you want to go to Dan's arcade paradise or come slam beers at my place, please coordinate with Rob accordingly. I, like Dan, have a ton of work to get done before this long weekend, preparations to be made, keg to be picked up, etc.

I just wanna play some games. This weekend is going to be epic.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

robivy64 wrote:drunks and cabinet elitists?
Ahaha That sounds like a title I'd want to own.