Omega Five (XBLA)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Necronom wrote:Here we go...nice gameplay footage.
Darn...right analog stick used for directional fire control. I hope they have a remap function to enable hori stick (or other digital controls) otherwise this is a deal breaker.
kemical

Post by kemical »

delayed until early 2008 :(
nlen83

Post by nlen83 »

Necronom wrote:Here we go...nice gameplay footage. Seems the game is ready but MS takes its time. Visuals and weapons look really nice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPEojuUqMfQ
:shock:

That looks really great. I wasn't to sure about it when I saw the initial screens etc but damn...can't wait now. They should have released this as an official title. I still am not entirely comfortable with spending money on something I can't hold in my hand...put on the shelf etc.
TerminasluT

Post by TerminasluT »

This sucks... Ive been waiting for months to play this and all week I was looking forward to "today"... fuck it now today it says its comming out in 2008. Fuck you microsoft! :evil:
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

TerminasluT wrote:This sucks... Ive been waiting for months to play this and all week I was looking forward to "today"... fuck it now today it says its comming out in 2008. Fuck you microsoft! :evil:
Yeah, same here.

I'd been checking Live almost every day waiting for this....

And then ARGH, delay!!!

Now, true, I'd rather them delay it to add quality or fix bugs than rush it and have something get messed up, but still.

Im real excited about this game, and it should come out FASTER dangit!
FatalError

Post by FatalError »

Omega 5 will be on XBLA next Wednesday (01/09/2008).

link to announcement:
http://www.destructoid.com/omega-5-on-x ... 2452.phtml
kemical

Post by kemical »

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! finally :D
-Bridget-

Post by -Bridget- »

ABOUT DANG TIME!!!!
Sonic R

Post by Sonic R »

kemical wrote:ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh! finally :D
-Bridget- wrote:ABOUT DANG TIME!!!!
My thoughts as said by these fellows…
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

My reaction is a bit more guarded. The graphics are nice, but gameplay-wise I'm just not sure. And right now I'm happy with the downloads I've already got.
kemical

Post by kemical »

Last edited by kemical on Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
szycag

Post by szycag »

you already got to play it kemical?
That is Galactic Dancing
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Should be a fine addition to the LIVE library. I'll download it regardless of what the critics say. Looks like a revamped forgotten worlds.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

If it's similar to Forgotten Worlds, it's got to be pretty damn good. I'll throw down the 800 points on this one. This definitely looks like one of XBLA's more ambitious titles.
Bridget wrote: ABOUT DANG TIME!!!!
Quoted for truth.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
1up

Post by 1up »

game is being released on Xbox Live Arcade tomorrow 8)
nlen83

Post by nlen83 »

It's official...this game is sex bombin good times. =) I really appreciate the "next-gen" graphics (i am not a sad graphics whore..i just think this department deserves credit) The game also handles really well. The control scheme seems fitting. Most importantly the game just...has a nice polished feel. It's unique enough to stick out and is certainly a refreshing change for the xbla. I'd say pick her up if you can...it's well worth the $10 price tag.
kemical

Post by kemical »

this game rules... my gamertag on the leaderboard: XRA
hermosaguy

Post by hermosaguy »

This game is fun. Huge ass hit box though! My gamertag is Duanesters if anyone wants to play!
Nuke

Post by Nuke »

Hudson's Back!!! :D
Trek trough the Galaxy on silver wings and play football online.
Afterbirth

Post by Afterbirth »

This is gorgeous.
It features lots of homages to some classic shumps as well.
bcass

Post by bcass »

hermosaguy wrote:This game is fun. Huge ass hit box though! My gamertag is Duanesters if anyone wants to play!
Sadly, there's no online co-op, unless I'm missing something obvious? Real shame that. A difficulty setting would have been nice too.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

one credit cleared in 1:30, hooray. Ruby's A weapon at max power = dead enemies. Also, the bombs are way overpowered
P_HAT

Post by P_HAT »

Zaarock wrote:one credit cleared in 1:30, hooray. Ruby's A weapon at max power = dead enemies. Also, the bombs are way overpowered
So, no 2nd loop?
1:30... a too long, imho. :?
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

P_HAT wrote:
Zaarock wrote:one credit cleared in 1:30, hooray. Ruby's A weapon at max power = dead enemies. Also, the bombs are way overpowered
So, no 2nd loop?
1:30... a too long, imho. :?
Ah, I didn't mean the length of the game, but how long it took me to 1cc the game after buying it :lol:
Krooze L-Roy

Post by Krooze L-Roy »

Wow, this would have been worthwhile as a standalone release. Paying only ten bucks makes me feel like a thief. MUCH better than anyone has any right to expect from Natsume.

So this brings the total number of worthwhile original Live Arcade games up to... 4. :|
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Krooze L-Roy wrote:MUCH better than anyone has any right to expect from Natsume.
I dunno, Natsume did some of my favourite Famicom games (and I've basically ignored everything they've done afterwards) so I have/had high expectations of this one. Sadly I lack the console so I can't actually play it...

Port to another system plsthx. Hah, there's a pipe dream.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Krooze L-Roy

Post by Krooze L-Roy »

Ghegs wrote:
Krooze L-Roy wrote:MUCH better than anyone has any right to expect from Natsume.
I dunno, Natsume did some of my favourite Famicom games (and I've basically ignored everything they've done afterwards) so I have/had high expectations of this one.
Yeah they were the shit back in the day, but it'd been a good ten years+ since they made anything that held any appeal for me. Between their countless farming and fishing games, I had serious misgivings about whether or not they still "had it."
ex.machina

Post by ex.machina »

Haven't played all too far, but not my piece of cake. Shooting with the analog stick instead of pressing buttons? And then those so huge enemies and the poor half English voices. It looked awesome on some pictures, but unfortunately plays quite bad.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Well, I'm not going to say it's easy, but I cleared it with Ruby on the first go-round. That being said, the one-hit mode kicks things up a bit...

Anyway...gorgeous game with occasionally hard to see bullets. Levels are long-ish but there are only four of them. Not a manic by any means, but also more forgiving than most memorizers.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I thought Omega Five would've cost a little more (I was thinking maybe 1200-1600 MS Points). At 800, it's not a bad deal. O5's game mechanics are solid, and the graphics shame some $60 titles- the water effects in stage 2's lake are amazing.

The 1st stage does seem definitely long- maybe making up somewhat for there being just 4 stages. Ninety minutes may be a little too long though. While there's a combo system, it's not quite like Dodonpachi (where a combo stop can REALLY cost you). Memorization is a bit necessary to get a Perfect, since there's some places you don't want to be at the wrong time.

Using the shield to mop up bullets reminded me a bit of not only Forgotten Worlds, but also X-Multiply. It doesn't play bad, but I wouldn't mind being able to reconfigure the buttons. I accidentally hit the RB and triggered a Dimension Field by mistake a few times, which costs life- this is something I'd like to remap to Y.

Holding the right analog stick between thumb and index finger seems to work best for me here.
Kinect? KIN NOT.