Official Physical Training Resource Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Ow... She coulda torn something doing that =P My sister tore a muscle accidentally doing the splits while not entirely flexible. Roller blading mistake if I recall correctly, feet went opposite directions.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

Usually that's Korean for wanting the sexors. Beautiful language.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Do any of you guys take supplements? i.e. cutting agents or creatine monohydrate? see a few weight lifters, is there anything you guys feel is really worthwhile using?
Vidi Vici Veni
D

Post by D »

Nobody with half a brain likes to work out. But some of us do it for the sake of intercourse. Not that that goes specifically better when working out, but the other half will be more appreciative and will show you the appreciation during.................. :wink:
I think that about covers it.
Oh yeah and the health part offcourse, living longer blah blah :lol:
I too hate it and I too have discovered that it is boring as hell to lift weights. It almost doesn't make any sense, almost that is, uhum.
Forget all this working out. PaCrappa, where did you gather those quoting skills, quite impressive.
Dale

Post by Dale »

I just got back from a very intense running session at school(damn near puked). I felt like shit then but I feel great now. I see what keeps drawing me back to working out. I seem to shmup better after cardio too.

Pro tip- Anyone who likes games and staying in shape try riding a recombent bike while playing your games. One day I burnt 4200 calories playing Street Fighter Alpha3. You don't even relize your riding a bike if your into the game enough but you haft to be really into it, I don't think anyone here will have a problem with that though. :wink:
I did great so much water and milk that I threw up when I was little.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I'm not sure why everyone is knocking working out with weights so much. I enjoy it along with other activities. I think weights coupled with other types of exercise is much better than just the other exercises alone.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Thinimus

Post by Thinimus »

D wrote:Nobody with half a brain likes to work out. But some of us do it for the sake of intercourse. Not that that goes specifically better when working out, but the other half will be more appreciative and will show you the appreciation during.................. :wink:
XD

I did lots of cardio growing in school. Basketball, soccer.

Later around 20-22 I spent time at doing machines and to cut fat and build up strength.

Since I was 17 I've been working construction on new homes.

What I've learned overall is that your body will improve at doing, bascially, what it is you're doing.

When I started on houses, all I did was labor and toting. I didn't carry as much wieght as possible all the time, (Which isn't very smart if you want to last more than 10 minutes in an eight hour day.:P), but constant manual work under the sun shot my stamina and coordination way up. When I started weight training at the gym, the actual weight I could handle wasn't much better than someone who didn't do physical work or was athletic, but the number of reps per weight I could do were very high for someone who started. Eventually, my muscle mass and physical strength began to become noticable by other people after about eight months.

Same thing with going after heavy weights and free wieghts. I could do 250 in situps succession but could hardly get 175 lbs off the bench. :P

Your body's physical setup changes depending on what you do. Different types of muscle fiber increase in size, cellular count, or amount of striation. Blood vessels and capillaries reconfigure depending on the timing of how you work your vascular system in relation to your muscular system.

Another thing I've noticed is that the time you spent in relation to what you achieve is important to consider as well. When you take time developing yourself, you'll hold your shape much longer during periods without activity. Also, you need less maintainance and can get back in shape much more quickly.

If you want to improve in an area, just do stuff in that area really. Nothing is minor or a waste of time. Any kind of effort will improve something. Just feeling better will help your body become more efficient and more eager to work.
The n00b

Post by The n00b »

D wrote:Nobody with half a brain likes to work out. But some of us do it for the sake of intercourse. Not that that goes specifically better when working out, but the other half will be more appreciative and will show you the appreciation during.................. :wink:
Oh yeah and the health part offcourse, living longer blah blah :lol:
I too hate it and I too have discovered that it is boring as hell to lift weights. It almost doesn't make any sense, almost that is, uhum.
Forget all this working out. PaCrappa, where did you gather those quoting skills, quite impressive.
Wow that's harsh. I enjoy working out. I'm in a very computer oriented job and it feels good to just let off steam and get physical for awhile. Exercise also helps improve your thinking. It's been shown to help improve oxygen flow in your brain and while that might not be true, it definitely decreases stress which definitely can interfere with creative thinking.

It might get you more girls but I have found that a healthy dose of self confidence can get you far more.
Proud citizen of the American Empire!
brokendivide

Post by brokendivide »

I don't believe bodyweight is any better than weights or vice versa. Any form of physical exercise is about specializing - Pa practices grappling, therefore he's proficient at grappling, not weight lifting. Similarly, weight lifters are fantastic at weight lifting cause that's what they practice, the n00b at running, cause he runs etc. A great pianist wouldn't expect to be just as great on the guitar, despite knowing an awful lot about music. One is not better than the other, they're simply different but both fall under the same broad field.

I love bodyweight exercises, walking on your hands is just plain fun, one arm pushups, L-Sits etc can be done anywhere. Weights can be great for helping sort imbalances - my back and ham's were behind for a while, mostly due to most bodyweight exercises involing everything on the front. Doing snatches and pulls with weights helped (and is helping) to sort that out.

I agree with The n00b, I work out cause I want to address any weak points, which helps with martial arts, which make me think clearer and generally feel great. Its only 'boring as hell' if you make it that way, by having no set goals, and doing it 'for the sake of intercourse' is bound to get boring. To me, physical results are a just a welcome side effect :)
Diabollokus wrote: Training must have a purpose
Sums it up, and I whole heartedly think that's the most important thing.

I like weights, but I absolutely hate gyms and the lab-rat atmosphere they have. IMO weights can be fun, gyms are not; but too often they get lumped together as one.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

brokendivide wrote:I Pa practices grappling, therefore he's proficient at grappling, .......exercises involing everything on the front. Doing snatches and pulls with weights helped (and is helping) to sort that out.

Sorry I just had to make those sentences one. :oops:
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Well I never did care for weights and running but what got me digging more deeply into the bodyweight stuff was actually a bad back injury of my own. Have you been to physical therapists at all? If not I have a couple of stretches and excercises that have really helped my back feel better. Also I remember you saying that you were big on the drug and drink thing. Hey me too, so let me be the first to tell you that dehydration is your very WORST enemy in a struggle against back issues and arthritis. I still smoke a bushel of grass about every day but I have definitely stopped all drinking (except new years and birthday) and drugs, including pain medication. It's made a difference.
I saw a physical therapist a year after my first back operation. I may go see another soon because I've been getting followups done lately and my orthopaedic surgeon said it might be a good idea. I still do most of the PT exercises but some required equipment so naturally I just shifted to others. If you have any suggestions, throw em out, I'm interested to hear them. As for dehydration, I have probably 2 to 3 beers a day and a brownie, but mostly I drink water. Probably something like 6 or more glasses a day. I cut out pretty much all carbonated and sweet shit like soda. Just cutting soda out of my diet I dropped almost 10 pounds and I definitely feel a lot better.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb