XRGB-3

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
BuckoA51

Re: XRGB-3

Post by BuckoA51 »

I'm using the translated english firmware.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Alright could be a bug in the Japanese firmware then :) I don't remember this ever happing on the English firmware, but then again I'm not sure I had the Gefen back then.

Anyone here uses the Japanese firmware too and can confirm this problem?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Downgraded to the English firmware and after about 5 min it happened again :(

This must be a Gefen issue then... Shitcrap!
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Hmm, played about an hour of Megadrive tonight with my XRGB3 + Gefen and didn't notice this problem, how long has yours been doing this?
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I think it has always but I can't be sure. I just played Dynamite Headdy for 2 hours and it never happened once :) It varies a lot.

What are your settings? Mine is set to 1080p60 out.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

1080p60 here too, I set mine up based on your recommendations.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Would anyone mind if I did some tidying on the XRGB3 wiki page and added a bit about using another video-processor in the chain?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

hey, that's why it's a wiki, isn't it ?
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

I think the tearing issue with the Gefen happens when the Scale settings is set to Panscan Full. Switching away from that instantly corrected this and when it got back to Panscan Full the tearing reappeared. Further testing is needed.

So I can set the Gefen to stretch the image to 16:9 and have the Panny squeeze it to a 4:3 image. Should be fine except the Panny chooses to overscan anything that's NOT 16:9 which is retarded to say the least. Thankfully the Gefen's Scale menu can also be set to "underscan" which sorta makes things look right with the Panny's 4:3 setting, but now I have a few pixels underscan on the bottom of the screen. Arrrrgh!...

I'll try writing to Panasonic requesting a fix for this problem but I don't know how much they listen to their consumers? Perhaps it could be fixed in the Panny's service menu?

EDIT: Luckily the scanlines doesn't appear fucked up after all this scaling and stretching. I guess that's something...

EDIT2:
Voice of Fudoh wrote:Have you tried putting an Extron RGB device between XRGB-3 and Gefen?
Actually no I haven't. I'll try that tonight :)
Last edited by Konsolkongen on Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I've got the XRGB-3 running in B1 mode now and am enjoying it very much. glorious scanlines. Couple questions...

1.) the lineout and headphone out both seem to have significant ground/static noise on them (the line out is the worst of the two). With my genesis and nes I've just been running from their separate audio outs, but the snes doesn't have this... what have been your solutions? I'm thinking a custom SNES rgb cable (with a separate line out) is the answer, but I don't know where to get such a cable... (anyone want to make one for me for $$? hehe...).

2.) on the genesis, I get a weird multi-colored flashing line at the bottom of the image in B1 mode. its not really a problem but its a little distracting. i havent read all 98 pages of this thread to see if this is addressed there... time to start i guess... ;)

thanks!
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

The flickering colored line on the bottom of the Genesis image is normal. It's part of the Genesis' signal.

Strange about the audio. Mine is crystal clear when using the Line out. Perhaps your audio cable is shitty?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Same over here: perfectly clear sound from the line out in the back. The line out also isn't affected by the XRGB's audio settings.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

Same here for clear sound, probably a bad cable.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Thanks, I was thinking that might be it. I'll do a quick swap of the audio cable itself, but I kind of wonder if it isn't the RGB-SCART cable from the SNES itself. That is, I don't have an original 21RGB cable for the SNES (didn't they only make one for the super famicom, anyway?). I have that cheap-o 5$ thing from playasia running through a SCART--RGB converter cable that's sold on ebay, basically as suggested in the xrgb3 wiki. I wonder if there's not strangeness being introduced there....

UPDATE: so, I swapped the audio cable and that isn't the problem. I didn't think it would be. I've physically moved the SCART<->RGB cable around to make sure there isn't some weird electrical interference, but thats not it either. However, while playing, I noticed that the static increases or decreases depending on whats happening on the screen. So it seems like some internal pin interference/wiring problem... forgive my clumsy way of describing all this, I know very little about the technical side. Just kind of muddle my way through.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I noticed that the static increases or decreases depending on whats happening on the screen
either really badly shielded or the cable's using the same ground line for audio and video. Just get a better cable and your problem will be solved. Doesn't have a japanese SFC cable; the european (original Nintendo) GameCube RGB cables are quite good, or just get a custom made one from somebody who knows what he does.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Could the tearing be a SLG3000 power problem? It should be so easy for me to remember if it has ever happened before I got the SLG3000 but I simply can't... :/

Using the Extron, my Saturn has been running with Bulk Slash for over an hour now switching between intro and demo play (lots of sync dropouts 240p <> 480i) and so far everything has been perfect. Perhaps the Extron delivers just a bit more power than the XRGB-3 does?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

really don't know. My new TV hardly displays anything VGA without the Extron and next to everything with an Extron interface in the chain...

The Extron interfaces stabilize the voltage level of the signal and make sure standard sync rules apply. On the other hand tearing is usually a result of a framerate conversion or framebuffer problem. But since the Extron doesn't change the framerate I'm really dazzled at what actually might be causing this.
Last edited by Fudoh on Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Em0tion says he has experienced the same without the SLG3000. Makes sense since I only had the SLG for two weeks. I can't think at all these days...

What I do know is that this never happened when I first got my Gefen. I'll test it some more with the Extron, so far so good.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

EDIT: Just realized Gefen has a whole support forum on their site... I'll go bother them instead :)
Last edited by Konsolkongen on Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

With the Extron in line the tearing is replaced by a slight stuttering instead. Re-syncing usually takes care of this just like the tearing... :(
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I decided to mod my Gamecube SCART cable into a pure composite sync cable for my Super Famicom. This yielded some interesting results. Basically now some games work and some do not, I am most puzzled:-

Super Mario All Stars (PAL) No problems (except when forced to NTSC but probably due to it being PAL optimized).
Yoshi's Island (PAL) horizontal strip of interference moves down the screen when the consoles set to NTSC, replaced with picture shimmer when PAL.
Lemmings (NTSC/US) White lines of interference occasionally streak across the screen.
Cotton 100% (NTSC/JAP) No problems whatsoever.

Weird huh? This is with the Gefen in the chain since my Edge is away for servicing yet again. When I put the comp sync line on I just put it directly on pin 20 on the SCART cable without any caps or anything (the composite video line that was there before had a capacitor on it).

Has anyone else played with the Super Famicom's composite sync and had any better results? Googling around it looks like it should just work. There could be something weird with my Super Famicom too I'm not entirely sure yet.

Oh almost forgot to mention, I tried my Extron in the chain too and it didn't make a difference.

Edit - :mrgreen: ***SOLVED*** :mrgreen: Turned out to be a bad power supply, I was using one from a PAL SNES, an official Nintendo one but even so, using the SFC PSU now through a stepdown and all is perfect, no more crawling pixels on certain colours, PAL and NTSC both perfect...when this crappy little box called the XRGB3 works it really is a wonderful little box :)
Last edited by BuckoA51 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
angryswede

Post by angryswede »

I'm on the verge of a complete mental breakdown here guys.

My scart adapter seem to act funny. I think. I have a modded ps1 connected to it, and the xrgb boots up showing the "game in" text in the upper right corner, and then the screen goes black. It doesn't go to power saving status as it usually do when theres no signal, it just goes black.
Audio is working.

I'm was first suspecting the dodgy stealth chip as it first refused to boot in ntsc but did boot up. But after a while it started to boot in ntsc by it self.

I have also tried an original super famicom scart with the adapter, this time the screen goes to power saving mode (!) instead. When connected straight to game in the sfc works like a charm.

My idea was to ease the stress on the scart port by adding a switch. But with this config (sfc/ps1 to switch, male male scart to the adapter and in to the xrgb) I don't get any picture either. Tried with different male male cables to the adapter but get the same no result.
The xrgb lights up indicating a signal - but I don't get anything on the screen.

Took a quick look at the adapter and it don't seem that I can get it open without causing some damage to it?

Sorry for this inconsistent rambling, I'm almost crying with frustration here. Help? ;)

Edit: It's the micomsoft adapter.
clean gloves, dirty hands.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

So you've tried the console directly into the adaptor without the switch inbetween? Must be a faulty adaptor. I use scart switch->SCART to JP21 adaptor->XRGB3 Game in all the time, no problems.
angryswede

Post by angryswede »

BuckoA51 wrote:So you've tried the console directly into the adaptor without the switch inbetween? Must be a faulty adaptor. I use scart switch->SCART to JP21 adaptor->XRGB3 Game in all the time, no problems.
Yes, with the switch I don't get anything at all, and with the only the the adapter I get audio only.
It's a passive manual switch btw.

What bothers me is that everything worked perfect without the switch just a few days ago, and now nothing works. I have not done anything except connecting/disconnecting the adapter.
Are the micomsoft adapters prone to fail? Is it fixable?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What Micomsoft adapter are you taking about ? Micomsoft doesn't supply any RGB-related adapters.
angryswede

Post by angryswede »

Fudoh wrote:What Micomsoft adapter are you taking about ? Micomsoft doesn't supply any RGB-related adapters.
I must have got wrong then, it's a scart to rgb-21, like the one pictured on the wiki. It came with the unit so I just assumed it was an official adapter.

Edit: I've now checked both ends of the adapter and everything is still connected, actually looks like better soldering than several of my ordinary scarts. What can be the problem here?

Edit 2: Alright, I've got some beers down and started to calm down. Apparently it's as buckoa51 says, a broken adapter. But is there anyway to fix it? Like if the connectors got worn down and I can bend them back or something lo-tech like that?
The adapter is only a couple of months old so I'm not that keen to to buy a new one which probably will have the same problem after some use...

Edit 3: Ha, one of the pins on the ps1 cable had been pushed back. Now it works even through the switch. Sfc cable still wont work, but now I've got a clue at least.
One last thing before I go hikikomori with Metal gear solid; I have a 1680x1050 lcd, but the xrgb blanks out when I try to go that high. Any ideas? This one should not be about disconnected pins ;)
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

I have a 1680x1050 lcd, but the xrgb blanks out when I try to go that high. Any ideas?
Yes, it's because the XRGB3 just generally sucks :)
Konsolkongen

Post by Konsolkongen »

Isn't the problem more like all new TV's suck and the XRGB-3 is perfect in it's own way? :)
angryswede

Post by angryswede »

Konsolkongen wrote:Isn't the problem more like all new TV's suck and the XRGB-3 is perfect in it's own way? :)
Considering the amount of weird crap I've bought for this setup instead of food I refuse to believe that the xrgb3 is anything but perfect ;)
fagin

Post by fagin »

This is when a DVDO EDGE should help the stability issue I suspect. :)