Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
trap15

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by trap15 »

It's not that the ROM is that slow, it's that my dumping method is really slow because I have no good tools to do it :lol:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Does it involve a hamster wheel, road barricades made out of toothpicks, and the guts of an old Mr. Coffee chained between two old 286 PCs with a serial connection made of baling wire?
256 bytes in five hours wouldn't be usable even in the original 1971 Intel EEPROMs so this is kind of unusual to hear about.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I dump each 16bit word out as the length of a PSG tone. So when you read a value of, say, 0x0100, it takes 256 update ticks to dump that word. But if we have a value of... 0xFFFF... it takes 65535 ticks to dump. Assume that each tick is the length of 1 frame... and you've got quite a hefty dumping time.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Oh, I see what's going on. Is this a kind of "black box" exploration of a ROM you normally couldn't decrypt and get into to find its outputs?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It's not that it's encrypted, it's that it's inside an MCU and there's no way to get the ROM out without making it spill it's own guts or getting it decapped. I think I'd take the ages-long method rather than destroy a helpless NMK board :wink:

But yeah, it's breaking into a black box, essentially.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

trap15 wrote:I dump each 16bit word out as the length of a PSG tone. So when you read a value of, say, 0x0100, it takes 256 update ticks to dump that word. But if we have a value of... 0xFFFF... it takes 65535 ticks to dump. Assume that each tick is the length of 1 frame... and you've got quite a hefty dumping time.
You sir, are redefining the long dump..
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

don't forget hefty too, it's probably straining the busses to get it out there all at once :mrgreen:
trap15

Post by trap15 »

brentsg wrote:You sir, are redefining the long dump..
My prediction is that the dumping will take a total of 350 hours for all 16384 bytes :mrgreen:
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Getting a new console, having only one game for it and getting bored of that one game within three days.

Especially when the new console is a Neo-Geo so, you know, buying more games is kinda expensive (although it'll be totally worth it once I have a few of the fighting games for the system)
The resident X-Multiply fan.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

> Neo-Geo
> Worth it
:roll:
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Edmond Dantes wrote:Getting a new console, having only one game for it and getting bored of that one game within three days.

Especially when the new console is a Neo-Geo so, you know, buying more games is kinda expensive (although it'll be totally worth it once I have a few of the fighting games for the system)
Because ROMs and virtual consoles aren't things, right? :roll:
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

Waiting for stuff to arrive from ebay.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Stuff arriving from ebay or amazon in shitty condition,when it was was described as good...
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
BIL

Post by BIL »

trap15 wrote:> Neo-Geo
> Worth it
:roll:
THE THEME OF NEO-GEO
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Lord Satori wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:Getting a new console, having only one game for it and getting bored of that one game within three days.

Because ROMs and virtual consoles aren't things, right? :roll:
Not sure what your point is. The console is already bought and payed for... it would be kinda silly to go that far only to play what are effectively ports for an entirely different medium instead, while the real system gathers dust.

Since we're on that subject, I personally prefer not to use ROMs or emulators, because for me they often become more about downloading than actually playing, and when you have 1000 games, I often run into the phenomenon of "Why am I playing a game I've already beat? If I waste time like this, I'll never beat the other 999 before I die!" On the other hand, when you only own a couple dozen games, and you bought and payed for each one, it becomes easier to justify playing them again and again and trying to seriously learn them.

..... One more thing: Not trying to start shit, I mean I understand how Neo-Geo's huge pricetag can be a turnoff... but this is a forum which actively buys, sells, and trades arcade PCBs, which is effectively what Neo games are, and which are usually just as expensive. So unless there's something else to the Neo-hate, it seems a little hypocritical.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I only keep ROMs of games I actually own or definitely plan to, plus a regularly cleared testing folder for stuff I'm still weighing up. Nothing to do with morality / omg allah will punish me, I just hate having a ton of junk lying around for the sake of it. Even in ROM form. I don't think I'm able to play a game very seriously if I don't have the option of firing up a real copy on hardware, either. Also, it's nice to have all my stuff on a thumb drive to emulate if I'm away from home.

MVS > AES tbqh. Shock Troopers! Homeless bum prices! But no Jockey Grandprix Home Version, admittedly. Best thing about the AES these days (besides some nice boxes, assuming you don't get a boot) are the utterly incredible dramas its collector scene conjures up.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

BIL wrote: MVS > AES tbqh.
Cheaper too. You should just get one of those converter things that lets you run MVS carts on your AES.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Good lord, why does anyone give a shit what other people do with their money? It's not like arcade PCBs are a super cheap hobby.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

brentsg wrote:Good lord, why does anyone give a shit what other people do with their money? It's not like arcade PCBs are a super cheap hobby.
Yeah. Cotton Candy on the other hand, that's just a waste.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

brentsg wrote:Good lord, why does anyone give a shit what other people do with their money? It's not like arcade PCBs are a super cheap hobby.
I was just offering a helpful tip. Why pay out the nose for AES carts when you can get the same game in MVS for way cheaper, and run it on an AES with the converter?
BIL

Post by BIL »

The answer used to be the prestige and awesome presentation of homecart releases. It's still much the same today, but with the added psychological thrill of high-end bootleg infestation.
Marc

Post by Marc »

The 360 Midway collection being advertised online with a shot of Roadblasters amongst others, only to find out it isn't on the fucking disc.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

jonny5 wrote:
I was just offering a helpful tip. Why pay out the nose for AES carts when you can get the same game in MVS for way cheaper, and run it on an AES with the converter?
That's actually exactly what I intend to do, actually. At least for games like Metal Slug.
emphatic wrote:
Yeah. Cotton Candy on the other hand, that's just a waste.
OH NO YOU DIDN'T! *Pulls gun that fires cotton-candy bullets*
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

jonny5 wrote:
Cheaper too. You should just get one of those converter things that lets you run MVS carts on your AES.
Except the converter is not 100% compatible or accurate. It would refuse to run my legit SNK VS Capcom, but would work flawlessly with a bootleg Metal Slug. It also needed to have the little pot adjusted every time I loaded KOF 97 to avoid sprite garbage showing up randomly. Last Blade? Scaling glitches. I would totally endorse the idea of a consolized MVS, though.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
rancor

Post by rancor »

Baka native English speakers mixing redundant / retarded Nihongo in their sentences, desu.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Specineff wrote:
jonny5 wrote:
Except the converter is not 100% compatible or accurate. It would refuse to run my legit SNK VS Capcom, but would work flawlessly with a bootleg Metal Slug. It also needed to have the little pot adjusted every time I loaded KOF 97 to avoid sprite garbage showing up randomly. Last Blade? Scaling glitches. I would totally endorse the idea of a consolized MVS, though.
I've actually been reading up on this.

There's at least four different converters. Two of them, which are recent ones, will play all MVS games on an AES without glitches or scaling issues. The only problem games are from the NG Dev Team, and in that case its because they're looking for some sort of memory that AES consoles don't have--it has nothing to do with the converter (and frankly, I'd rather play those on the Dreamcast anyway).

Only issue I have seen so far is that the converters themselves are fuckspensive--even the earlier, inaccurate ones.
Formless God

Post by Formless God »

That person with 20 bladders who never gives up the restroom.
RegalSin wrote:Then again sex is no diffrent then sticking a stick down some hole to make a female womenly or girl scream or make noise.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Miami-Dade County refusing new permits for shop owners because the sewer system literally can't handle another sink or toilet.

Promised Miami-Dade infrastructure improvements over 20 years: ~$20 billion
Capital funding needs for water and sewer systems in the US by 2020 - $125 billion

So yeah, places that only have one restroom.

Also awful: When your guts are churning and you can't make them stop! :o
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

good god, the 12-year-olds playing CoD multiplayer. Been awhile since I've played a trendy shooter, and now I see why. I'm reversing my opinion about videogames being a bad influence.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Moniker wrote:good god, the 12-year-olds playing CoD multiplayer. Been awhile since I've played a trendy shooter, and now I see why. I'm reversing my opinion about videogames being a bad influence.
When I bought CoD MW2 on Steam a few years ago, I bought some DLC with it. I only played that airplane graveyard map once.

I used to be able to deal with that shit back in '05 to some degree but not anymore.

Actually, I think the last online shooter I played was Battlefield Bad Company 2 PC, and after being banned for "cheating" (i.e. knowing how to keep the machine gun trained on somebody) I decided I had other things to do. Not a rage quit, just decided it was time to hang it up. That was a few years ago now.