Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
trap15

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by trap15 »

Skykid wrote:feeling as though you're walking around at 6am with no sleep (even though you slept) nausea, brain feeling like it's expanding in your skull, dizziness and a constant struggle to concentrate
Yep, sounds like me on the end of a "sleep session". At that point I usually force sleep super early (and wake at like 5am or something), or skip sleep on a night and go to bed early the next. And then my schedule drifts further and further off and I repeat the same thing a week or two later.

Silly stuff :lol:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

trap15 wrote:
Skykid wrote:feeling as though you're walking around at 6am with no sleep (even though you slept) nausea, brain feeling like it's expanding in your skull, dizziness and a constant struggle to concentrate
Yep, sounds like me on the end of a "sleep session". At that point I usually force sleep super early (and wake at like 5am or something), or skip sleep on a night and go to bed early the next. And then my schedule drifts further and further off and I repeat the same thing a week or two later.

Ending up with a fucked sleep schedule is the woooooorst.

3 days ago, I got to sleep at 4AM... and I woke up at 6PM. It wasn't so bad before [bed at 2am, wake up noonish-1ish], but I've been drifting forwards a bit. 2 days ago, I didn't get any sleep at all [sleep-dep is the worst]. Last night, I went to bed at 6pm, woke back up at 10pm, and fell asleep again at 2pm.

hopefully, I can go back to normal so I don't go insane when I go back to university in a week
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

trap15 wrote:

I definitely know that feeling. This is a bit nastier though, since I'm sleeping pretty normal hours and still walking around like I've been drugged. On the morning after landing I went to sleep at about 2am and woke up at 6am, went back to sleep til 8, then again until 9:30. Was fine for about 2 hours before brain started going real foggy, progressively worsening through the day. Since then I've been going to sleep at fairly normal times, but the jet lag won't fuck off. I get up in the morning, drink a coffee, and slowly as the hours pass, I start to crumble. By midday it's terrible, by late afternoon I feel like I'm going to die.

I'm trying light therapy: got up this morning and just went for a long walk in the sunlight. Apparently the body reacts to light to reset the clock back to correct patterns, and in previous days I've felt too buggered to leave the house which probably didn't help.

Wouldn't wish it on anyone though, I have no idea how pilots combat this. If I had to fly a plane in this condition, I'd absolutely definitely crash.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

rancor

Post by rancor »

Skykid wrote:I have no idea how pilots combat this. If I had to fly a plane in this condition, I'd absolutely definitely crash.
Had it for a month now, and just as it's going away I have to go back to Japan. I would imagine when you have a schedule it's much easier to adjust. There's really no reason for me not to take a nap from 2-6pm, so I do. :mrgreen:

Something that annoys me? Just saw on the news that Jesse Jackson Jr. is going to jail for 2 years for fraud. He was diagnosed with bipolar condition several years ago and gets $8700 a month in disability payments for life. While in Jail. He's also still eligible for $150,000 a year government retirement pension. :shock:
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I can never remember the things I want to post in this thread when I'm here.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

null1024 wrote:Ending up with a fucked sleep schedule is the woooooorst.

3 days ago, I got to sleep at 4AM... and I woke up at 6PM. It wasn't so bad before [bed at 2am, wake up noonish-1ish], but I've been drifting forwards a bit. 2 days ago, I didn't get any sleep at all [sleep-dep is the worst]. Last night, I went to bed at 6pm, woke back up at 10pm, and fell asleep again at 2pm.

hopefully, I can go back to normal so I don't go insane when I go back to university in a week
Yeah, this is something I've had to deal with for a long while.

Don't worry about it too much, though - you'll get back on schedule for classes quick enough. What I find is a problem is not having a schedule so that you find yourself sliding into another rhythm again, and the process continues. Another corrective and you're back where you started, though.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I just recovered a 7-hours jet lag difference (Stockholm to Seoul and back) by sleeping for 12 hours straight. In general, jet lag effects decrease with practice: the more one flies through time zones, the lower the effect is. Spending short periods in a new location also helps: I stayed two weeks, so one night of sleep suffices, more or less. The critical period for suffering the extend effects is usually 28-30 days: like Kid and Rancor's, I simpathize with you guys.

As far as I know, plane crews develop an ability to withstand any jet lag by only spending short amounts of time on any time zone, and often receive specific training to do so. On longer flights, it is not uncommon that pilots have to witness rather peculiar effects, such as "extended sunrises". Basically, this happens when the plane takes off around sunrise time, and then moves "away from" the sunrise time zone. The feeling is that the sunrise lasts as long as the trip, which in certain cases means up to 16 hours. The same holds for "extended sunsets" too. On top of that, if the plane flies during Winter, at a high latitude in the northern emisphere (50° or more), it is common to witness the aurora from the stratosphere, a fact that can influence the perception of day/night difference.

At least we don't get a sunrise every 45 minutes, as on the ISS. ISS occupants say that no matter how much they train, the first week is maddening.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

yeah, not jet lag per se - but everytime i play football i have way too much adrenaline in my system afterwards and i end up not sleeping. The next day i crash around 3pm and wake at 10pm - then by the time my body has gotten back into a proper sleeping pattern it's time for the next football game :/
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

I ordered a Blu-ray from an Amazon marketplace seller. It shipped from the West coast on August 18 and it is supposed to be delivered on Sept 9th. I live in the middle of the country so I guess shipping to the east coast would be an October thing.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

brentsg wrote:I ordered a Blu-ray from an Amazon marketplace seller. It shipped from the West coast on August 18 and it is supposed to be delivered on Sept 9th. I live in the middle of the country so I guess shipping to the east coast would be an October thing.
And where exactly is the annoying part in all this? Do you hate ordering things? I don't get it...

Anyway, I've been noticing a trend of ads disguised as false notifications. Ex: your hard drive is running low, java updates, browser updates, etc. There's also that annoying ad type thing that pops up in the lower right hand corner of almost every damned site I visit!
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Randorama wrote:At least we don't get a sunrise every 45 minutes, as on the ISS. ISS occupants say that no matter how much they train, the first week is maddening.
Interesting post here, thanks for that info.

@ Lord Satori: A 23-day shipment time seems a bit on the long side, especially for something moving halfway across CONUS. But I've had things take that long or longer.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

The critical period for suffering the extend effects is usually 28-30 days: like Kid and Rancor's, I simpathize with you guys.
30 days! Boy I really hope it doesn't persist that long. :(
Felt almost motion sick last night, couldn't eat.

I crossed 8 time zones (+9 to +1) with a three hour stopover in Moscow. Slept poorly and intermittently on the flight.

You're meant to recover at one time zone per day, which would mean I have two more days of this. I have heard, like Rancor, it can take longer though.

I definitely agree with the shorter visiting thing. I've never had jet lag from a trip before, and I've been to Asia many times, some times as long as a month. I guess 9 months is enough to do it.

brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Lord Satori wrote:
brentsg wrote:I ordered a Blu-ray from an Amazon marketplace seller. It shipped from the West coast on August 18 and it is supposed to be delivered on Sept 9th. I live in the middle of the country so I guess shipping to the east coast would be an October thing.
And where exactly is the annoying part in all this? Do you hate ordering things? I don't get it...

Anyway, I've been noticing a trend of ads disguised as false notifications. Ex: your hard drive is running low, java updates, browser updates, etc. There's also that annoying ad type thing that pops up in the lower right hand corner of almost every damned site I visit!
How the hell can it possibly take 3 weeks for USPS to move a parcel halfway across the country? Sorry, thoght that was obvious..
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Annoying older siblings who say things like "I thought you grew out of games"
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List
Ji-L87

Post by Ji-L87 »

Jonst wrote:Annoying older siblings who say things like "I thought you grew out of games"
Sounds like my dad :mrgreen:
CHECKPOINT!
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

yeah, not jet lag per se - but everytime i play football i have way too much adrenaline in my system afterwards and i end up not sleeping. The next day i crash around 3pm and wake at 10pm - then by the time my body has gotten back into a proper sleeping pattern it's time for the next football game :/
quoting self here - played last night - been awake since 2am :/ Brain carnival in full gear.
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

When you buy a new electrical item and it's covered in stickers which aren't easy-peel. Pffff-ff-ffftttt! What am I supposed to do? Scratch the glue with a fingernail or a damp cloth or something? It's 2013 god-damnit, we're should be past this by now.
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

People who can't speak their native language.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

"Are you serious?"
Are you?

I can't believe what I'm reading.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

I can't believe you can't believe.

On a more light-hearted note, there's a store that sells cotton candy (which I didn't even know stores sold--I always thought it was strictly-at-fairs), and I had gotten in the habit of buying a bag every time I went there. So now I'm a cotton candy addict. Then, last monday I went... they were out. And didn't know when they'd get more. And I'm having fierce cravings.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

I'm not going to bother with this much longer but are you saying that they shouldn't have gun free zones? (Only in america would they even have a need to point that out) And that you should be able to bring a gun into a mall? Why have a gun at all? Hell I've never seen a gun in my entire life outside of glocks holstered on a policemans belt.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

AntiFritz wrote:I'm not going to bother with this much longer but are you saying that they shouldn't have gun free zones? (Only in america would they even have a need to point that out) And that you should be able to bring a gun into a mall? Why have a gun at all? Hell I've never seen a gun in my entire life outside of glocks holstered on a policemans belt.
from the link
Yeah the problem with gun free zones is you are expecting criminals to obey the law… and they now know that no one in “the zone” has a gun to stop them.

Criminals are people who BREAK THE LAW.

"Gun-Free Zone" is a LAW.

Criminals are going to BREAK IT.

That means that the CRIMINAL is going to have a GUN and the law-abiding innocent citizens WILL NOT have guns.

See the problem yet?
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

So are you saying that the people should be allowed guns? Or that we shouldn't have laws at all if they're just going to be broken?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I presume gun free zone means the law enforcement on site won't have guns either?

@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

AntiFritz wrote:So are you saying that the people should be allowed guns? Or that we shouldn't have laws at all if they're just going to be broken?
Honestly, pro-gun fanatics are broken. I wouldn't bother arguing in the absence of, as Oscar Wilde once said, that rarest of things, common sense.

Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Skykid wrote:
AntiFritz wrote:So are you saying that the people should be allowed guns? Or that we shouldn't have laws at all if they're just going to be broken?
Honestly, pro-gun fanatics are broken. I wouldn't bother arguing in the absence of, as Oscar Wilde once said, that rarest of things, common sense.
Look: Put yourself in the criminal's shoes. Let's say you've got a gun, and you want to kill someone for whatever reason, and you see a sign that says "Gun-Free Zone." To you, that sign might as well read "Open Season." Because it's declaring that you can go in there, shoot people, and probably even get away because they won't have the power to resist you.

It's a law that, like DRM, harms the law-abiding citizen far more than it harms the criminal. It in fact does NOTHING to the criminal.

Might want to think about that before you start talking about "common sense," because you're the one that lacks it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

trap15 wrote:I presume gun free zone means the law enforcement on site won't have guns either?
There was a recent case - though unusual - where a restaurant owner asked a policeman meeting with a member of the public to leave his restaurant because police frisking and the like was making people feel their liberties were violated. This was a white restaurant owner, in Seattle I believe.

It's uncommon but the property of most businesses is private property. Police can be denied entry without a warrant.

The "gun free zone" pro-guns argument is really just a variant of the argument for gun ownership in places that are too rural to get to. Police have either to spread their resources thin, to try to cover everything with a minimum response time, or saturate known problem areas based on known statistics of gun violence by region, and that further thins out the numbers available for general saturation tactics. Either way, assuming a usefully quick police response at almost any situation is unrealistic when it comes to gun violence. Of course, many gun owners tend to stand in the open and shoot defensively like it's a day at the range, where the first thing you should hopefully be thinking of is cover and probably escape if you aren't defended.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

A grotesque oversimplification of why people want to reduce the number of guns per capita is a 'good point' to you? I really do pity you.

It's not an issue of "let's keep guns out ohnoes the criminals have guns", it's a matter of reducing the availability of guns. The less prevalent guns are in a country, the harder it is for criminals to obtain them and thus the hope is to reduce the incidence of gun violence. It's as much an issue of changing the attitude towards seeing guns everywhere as A-Okay (pop in to Walmart, grab one with no training, yee haw, easier than getting a car, wtf) as it is about the guns themselves.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

But it's not the firearms themselves that we're worried about, but how they're used and how people view them. Anybody can use a car to aid in committing a crime, but the possibility a prospective criminal might get their hands on one isn't enough to ask for banning them. It's pretty easy to modify this view enough to try (via the use of "designed uses") to make a distinction between cars and firearms, and I am sure this will just provoke righteous indignation that I could be so pinheaded as to ask for a better description than this. But clearly firearms do have a good purpose, and the idea that firearms + private citizen = bad, but firearms + law enforcement official = good, in every case and situation, is pitiable indeed, as is the assumption that police (many of whom are in departments with insane regulations on trigger pulls and many individual officers who only tolerate firearms enough to barely pass the mandatory qualification, if that, when it's time on the calendar) are immune from the same lapses of judgement, aggressive tactics promoted by thinking with your gun, or other bad behaviors that the private citizen may fall prey to.

DID YOU KNOW: Occasionally automatic firearms and even heavy weapons disappear from the stocks of military and even police armories. This obviously allows evil criminals to get their hands on them. Clearly, we need to disarm the police in order to prevent this terrible eventuality!