Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Obscura

Re: Shmup Related Questions That Don't Deserve a Thread

Post by Obscura »

First bomb is still the same "strength" I would think, since either way, it's a full bomb (with suicides, I've got 2 and some spare fragments).

After more experiments, I think it's one of two effects:
1. Deadspot at the top of the screen coming into play
2. Time between bombing the keep and bombing the flamingos; I don't think that the rate it releases birds at is constant.

Still seem to get quite a bit of variance in the absolute result, though.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

oboewan42 wrote:Anyone who speaks Japanese care to translate this?

It's from the hidden options menu in Super Star Soldier. There are four difficulty settings: "Poor Body", "Official Level" (default), "Go Go Enemys", and this.

(BTW, to get to the hidden menu, turn on the console while holding Run+Select, release those two buttons, then press Left II Up II Right II Down II Left I Up I Right I Down I (I+II)x8 (I+Select)x8.)
It says "sugeeze"

"Sugee" is the casual slangy version of "sugoi", which means something like "awesome", "amazing", or "sweet!". Adding the ze more or less makes it awesomesauce mode.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Uzumakijl

Post by Uzumakijl »

Why is Daifukkatsu 1.5 stage 5 so hard :(?
“Approach your target and attack. Your mission starts now. Are you ready?”
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Because fuck laser wheels :evil:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Uzumakijl

Post by Uzumakijl »

I try to dodge thru them and i get sniped by the tanks, I try to hyper to kill the tanks and i get killed by the lazers, I try to block the lazers and i get sniped by the shot wheels :x

For trap15: Why haven't you accepted me on XBLA :'( i want to compare my kuso scores to yours in Pink Sweets so i can beat you someday
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yeah, the laser wheels are complete assholes. Just bomb-spam and memorize hard, I guess...

As for not accepting XBLA, it's probably because I haven't used my Xbox in forever :P
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Uzumakijl wrote:I try to dodge thru them and i get sniped by the tanks, I try to hyper to kill the tanks and i get killed by the lazers, I try to block the lazers and i get sniped by the shot wheels :x
Play Arrange A. It's fun, it's a good way to learn Power type, and the laser wheels in stage 5 can be killed. Scoring is also crazy and a bit more interesting than BL is IMO.
Uzumakijl

Post by Uzumakijl »

I spent around 2 hours today in training mode doing stage 5 over and over and i can't even reach the boss consistently with 3 lives haha, It's pretty interesting because DFK is pretty calm until stage 5 unlike other Cave games, this is gonna take a long time heh.

@ XBLA: Oh i see, makes sense :oops: .

I gotta give the arranges a deeper look, A seemed a bit more like DOJ but B seemed quite complex.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Uzumakijl wrote:I gotta give the arranges a deeper look, A seemed a bit more like DOJ but B seemed quite complex.
A plays nothing like DOJ; it only resembles it in that the ship looks like the type A ship, and hyper collection is DOJ style (fill the bar, collect the item). Otherwise, it's not really much like DOJ.

Arrange B is a single stage score attack mode where you want to replay stages repeatedly to up the bullet density/speed counters so you can gain more points via cancelling those bullets on subsequent runs of that level/later levels.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

EDIT: I found one that clearly states DLC is included so scratch that question. Still curious about the LE though.

So I scored a brand new copy of Mushihimesama Futari 1rst Print Limited edition on Amazon Japan for the crazy cheap price of 4000 yen. I'm really loving it so I think I might go ahead and buy Mishihimesama HD on 360 also but I have a question first. I read somewhere that the game includes a download code for version 1.5. People have been referring to this as a preorder code, but is that actually what it is or was it just something that was packaged with new copies of the game. The reason I asked is because there are still a few sealed copies of the regular version available on Amazon for around 5000 yen. They don't say anything about preorder DLC in their descriptions but is it safe to assume if they are new copies then they include a 1.5 DLC code in the case? If they don't include 1.5 I will just buy it used since it is quite a bit cheaper. Also what is included with the limited edition? They have a couple of those available too but I don't know if it is really worth the extra cash.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ACSeraph wrote:EDIT: I found one that clearly states DLC is included so scratch that question. Still curious about the LE though.

So I scored a brand new copy of Mushihimesama Futari 1rst Print Limited edition on Amazon Japan for the crazy cheap price of 4000 yen. I'm really loving it so I think I might go ahead and buy Mishihimesama HD on 360 also but I have a question first. I read somewhere that the game includes a download code for version 1.5. People have been referring to this as a preorder code, but is that actually what it is or was it just something that was packaged with new copies of the game. The reason I asked is because there are still a few sealed copies of the regular version available on Amazon for around 5000 yen. They don't say anything about preorder DLC in their descriptions but is it safe to assume if they are new copies then they include a 1.5 DLC code in the case? If they don't include 1.5 I will just buy it used since it is quite a bit cheaper. Also what is included with the limited edition? They have a couple of those available too but I don't know if it is really worth the extra cash.
Same shit that's in all the LE's, an arrange soundtrack CD.

You have a good chance of getting the LIMITED EDITION FIRST ADOPTERS ONLY PREORDER CODE!!?! (Later to be released to the public for free via Cave Budget Collection) but normally there are YHJ auctions that actually state that it's there. It might be best to wait for one of those. Either way, if you don't get it, someone is bound to float all the DLC from the Cave Collection in the intarweb in a matter of months, whereby you can install via USB. Nothing is limited, especially when it comes to Cave. It's all liez to get you to buy something six times over.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I can probably live without a soundtrack considering Futari came with the original games soundtrack. So then as far as loading the DLC off a memory stick is concerned, isn't that something that would require a modded Xbox? If not its a cool option, but I'm not willing to mod my box.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Only the LEs include the DLC codes. The DLC codes can only be redeemed once and they need to be redeemed using a JP XBL account. After that, the DLC will be accessible to any XBL account (regardless of region) on your 360.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

pestro87 wrote:Only the LEs include the DLC codes.
Not quite true. The LEs are SURE to include the DLC codes, but first release editions (usually you have to preorder to make sure to get them) got the DLC codes as well.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Skykid wrote:Same shit that's in all the LE's, an arrange soundtrack CD.
The Double Arrange Album included in the LE is fucking awesome, I can't allow you to call it "same shit".
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

KAI wrote:
Skykid wrote:Same shit that's in all the LE's, an arrange soundtrack CD.
The Double Arrange Album included in the LE is fucking awesome, I can't allow you to call it "same shit".
Yeah gotta say that album that came with the Futari LE was pretty damn good. It was worth the money. But since it included the arrange for Mushihimesama 1 I'll probly skip out on the Mishihimesama HD LE.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Mushi HD LE has a different arranged album (Includes the new tracks used in the game).
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Question 1:

Is there any difference between the versions of Dogyuun? My mame rom is says "For use in Europe" so I want to make sure I'm playing it "the right way."

Question 2:

I've looked around in the ST forums, and what exactly is the difference between ESPRade P1 and P2?
endoKarb

Post by endoKarb »

Question 2:

I've looked around in the ST forums, and what exactly is the difference between ESPRade P1 and P2?
One thing I'm sure is that with p2 you can use the gaurd barrier to extend the combo timer, something worth quite a bit of points that you cannot do with p1.

I dunno if there are more differences. Didn't notice anything myself.
"Compendaria res improbitas, virtus longa."
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Can I use ROM files in MAME to check the region of a PCB (assuming the ROM labels are intact and haven't been overwritten or otherwise altered)?

EDIT: Nevermind, I think MAMEinfo has got me sorted out. ClrMAMEPro can also do this, apparently.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

I'm trying to help out over at BYOAC: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 472.0.html
brad808 wrote: I'm wondering if anybody else has this problem with saving high scores in ketsui using mame. Basically it can't save high scores over 20 million (approximately, I haven't narrowed down the exact number). It will save all scores perfectly until getting over 20 million. I can exit and reopen the game and they will all be there perfectly. As soon as I get a score above 20 million it will show up there until I exit and then when I reopen the game it will be a number under 10 million but in the first place spot. Then next time I get a score above that it will replace the first place spot again. I've tried deleting the hi score file and nvram file but it doesn't make a difference.

Anyone else see it or have a solution?

This particular high score should be 25 someodd million
Anyone has a clue?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
chempop

Post by chempop »

How does 2-player Kingdom Grandprix/Shippu Mahou play in tate?
Is the screen split horizontally or what? I can't even find a screen shot.
THANKS
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

emphatic wrote:I'm trying to help out over at BYOAC: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 472.0.html
brad808 wrote: I'm wondering if anybody else has this problem with saving high scores in ketsui using mame. Basically it can't save high scores over 20 million (approximately, I haven't narrowed down the exact number). It will save all scores perfectly until getting over 20 million. I can exit and reopen the game and they will all be there perfectly. As soon as I get a score above 20 million it will show up there until I exit and then when I reopen the game it will be a number under 10 million but in the first place spot. Then next time I get a score above that it will replace the first place spot again. I've tried deleting the hi score file and nvram file but it doesn't make a difference.

Anyone else see it or have a solution?

This particular high score should be 25 someodd million
Anyone has a clue?
Nope, I always just use a savestate at the title screen to save my high scores. Doing that has always worked fine for me.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

THANKS.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
chempop

Post by chempop »

chempop wrote:How does 2-player Kingdom Grandprix/Shippu Mahou play in tate?
THANKS
Okay, so I'm told it's shared screen... do both players have to be on the top of the screen to accelerate?
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

emphatic wrote:THANKS.
Is this a sarcastic "thanks for stating the obvious, dumbass" or a real thanks?

If the former- sorry, I was only trying to help.

If the latter- you're welcome.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

What XBOX 360 Shmups are coming out for the remainder of this year (all regions) I know of, Caladrius & DoDonPachi Saidaioujou but what else?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

lettuce wrote:What XBOX 360 Shmups are coming out for the remainder of this year (all regions) I know of, Caladrius & DoDonPachi Saidaioujou but what else?
Triangle Service is releasing "Shooting Love 10th Anniversary", which bundles together XIIStag and a new version of G-Stream 2020.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Obscura wrote:real thanks?
^^This. Sorry for the caps, I was lazy and in a hurry.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm still looking for an answer to the Dogyuun question I posted a little above here - the only ROM I have says it's for the European region, and I can't find a way to change the settings in the dip switches.
chempop wrote:How does 2-player Kingdom Grandprix/Shippu Mahou play in tate?
THANKS
Lucky for you I was showing off my copy of Kingdom Grandprix last night and doing some co-op.

1) it's shared screen

2) you go as fast as the fastest player