B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Sid

Re: B&O MX4/6/7000 - troubleshooting and general information

Post by Sid »

Jojkenstein wrote:I can immediately add that when I turn off the TV and then turn it on again the picture again is black in the bottom and the picture is squeezed. So you can see the whole picture, but it has a broken aspect ratio (and probably missing scan lines).
I did test this cable on my Panasonic plasma and it showed the picture correctly. My BO:s does not seem to like my RGB signal it seems..
From memory I think I ended up removing pin 8 from my scart cable to get it working properly with my MX4200. I had the aspect ratio issue.

Sadly, I have not had any luck getting deinterlace mode working though.
_rm_

Post by _rm_ »

What chassis does the beovision lx4500 have? Is it any good and also has the de-interlace function?

Thanks in advance.
marmotasana

Post by marmotasana »

I can not access the menu of options image and sound ... Why do I have limited ?, as I can unlock?

Cisek

Post by Cisek »

You must find service menu pins (on the back of your chassis, near input sockets) connect wires to it with momentary switch on the second side, and push the switch while on tv.

Anyway I've got B&O MX5500 manufactured in 1989 with 2.1 SW and it is just perfect tv for retro. IMO it beats trinitron (had 2) with how retro games look on it. It is not as sharp and vibrant as trinitrons, but thanks to different shadow mask, games look great and not too blocky even on 28". The scanlines are subtle which give a lot better effect, than on trinitron where scanlines and overall image is just too sharp. If anyone wants to go for retrogaming with trinitrons, than 21" i think is the biggest screen I would suggest. With my MX 5500 everything looks great even on 28" :)
MushiMaster

Post by MushiMaster »

Hi guise

I am thinking of picking up a local mx7000, i have heard the B&O's have problems with NTSC 60hz is this true? i have NTSC consoles because i like the 60hz speed.

Has anybody got a picture of a mx7000 next to a mx4000, do you think the mx7000 is too big>?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

My B&O CRTs all handle NTSC fine. The MX7000 is 28" while MX4000 is 25", if I am not mistaken. A bigger screen is better in my opinion.
MushiMaster

Post by MushiMaster »

Thank's for the reply, Do you know if there is any difference in screen quality between the MX7000 and MX4000?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

No, but pennies to potatoes that all B&O sets sport a pretty good picture.

While we are on the subject I wish people would stop obsessing so much over whether this CRT is theoretically "better" than this other set, as if such a nebulous quality can easily be quantified.

Such hair splitting is bloody pointless, especially when it comes to consumer sets. It has also lead to people tripping over themselves trying to hunt down a PVM or BVM and deal with all the associated trials because they are "the best", when they have much more user friendly consumer sets readily available to them locally, and for almost no cost.

Here is a pro tip, "the best" is overrated. Still want to know which is "better"? Here is my universal answer, whatever CRT set A or B look like they sure as hell shit all over connecting your old console to an LCD TV. So stop obsessing and just buy one.

You wont regret it, unless of course you suffer from severe OCD. In which case nothing will satisfy you, ever, I am sorry.
Sid

Post by Sid »

kamiboy wrote: Such hair splitting is bloody pointless, especially when it comes to consumer sets. It has also lead to people tripping over themselves trying to hunt down a PVM or BVM and deal with all the associated trials because they are "the best", when they have much more user friendly consumer sets readily available to them locally, and for almost no cost.

Here is a pro tip, "the best" is overrated. Still want to know which is "better"? Here is my universal answer, whatever CRT set A or B look like they sure as hell shit all over connecting your old console to an LCD TV. So stop obsessing and just buy one.

You wont regret it, unless of course you suffer from severe OCD. In which case nothing will satisfy you, ever, I am sorry.
I have a couple of PVM-20M4 units, a couple of the JVC pro monitors, and a B&O MX4200. For my taste, the four pro displays very much satisfy me, while the B&O is uninspiring in comparison. I'm not sure how the better consumer Sony sets compare, but the B&O doesn't quite do the job for someone wanting strong scanlines and clarity, I think. For those after a softer look, the B&O may be just right though.

Now, the B&O vs my plasma (minus any extra tricks)? Despite being the best tv model ever produced to date, the plasma has no hope of doing justice to retro games. So I both agree and disagree with you, but the disagreement part considers preference as much as quality.

Edit - Oops. I forgot that I have a couple of big Sony component input 4:3 sets especially for light gun gaming, and three Sony KV-HR36M31 sets. The latter are widescreen hd displays, but I really should check out the quality of the 4:3 sets with some 240p input stuff.
Last edited by Sid on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Going from a PVM to a B&O, I thought the same at first. Soft, lack of prominent scanlines.

But after a little while I got used to looks of the B&O and it grew on me. I find it very pleasing now and play on them exclusively. As such the PVM/BVM's are currently downstairs, in storage, for posterity.

I think the only genuine advantage of pro monitors, provided they have low hours of course, is they are built for better longevity.
Milspex

Post by Milspex »

How does one adjust the focus on the MX7000 chassis? Anyone have a diagram or at least a picture of where it is supposed to be?
MushiMaster

Post by MushiMaster »

Guise, I just picked up a MX4000 with BEO4 remote and when i go into menu all i have is

Timer
Power Link
AV1
AV2
S-Vhs

I Have no option to change picture or sound?
MushiMaster

Post by MushiMaster »

I worked out to adjust the picture settings with my BE04 but my tv doesn't remember the settings? Any idea how to store them?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

You have to press the "GO" button to save settings. It will confirm that it has saved via text on the menu.
MushiMaster

Post by MushiMaster »

The go button is what cycles through brilliance,color,contrast etc on my remote, I have to enter V-Set up to get to picture settings.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Sounds like you have an old ass B&O TV. Most models from the 2000's had a unified OSD system that worked very well and intuitively with the BEO4 remote.

If you search the internet for the BEO4 remote manual you will learn that it can be extended with extra functionality which you can cycle through with the "List" button. You can insert a shortcut to picture or sound settings there. Give it a look, might be of help. The remote manual may tell you more.
xga

Post by xga »

Hey Guys. Can anyone tell me what size screws are required to secure a MX7000 to the B&O motorised stand, please? Is there a user manual for the motorised stand that might list the type of screw size?

Cheers
marmotasana

Post by marmotasana »

Impossible up the color in RGB mode ?, some way?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

You just turn up the colour in the picture menu.
MushiMaster

Post by MushiMaster »

I read that color makes no difference in RBG mode. Tried it on my own set and adjusting it makes no difference.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Works on all 3 of my B&O TV's.
MushiMaster

Re: This is now about the B&O MX4000 CRT TV

Post by MushiMaster »

fagin wrote: Colour adjustment will have no effect if you're using RGB. ;)

marmotasana

Re: This is now about the B&O MX4000 CRT TV

Post by marmotasana »

MushiMaster wrote:
fagin wrote: Colour adjustment will have no effect if you're using RGB. ;)

And is not it possible to raise the color somehow ?, in the service menu you can climb a little ... but I would like to RGB upload much more .... is there some trick?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Colour adjustments work on all my B&O televisions, yes, in RGB as well, as anything else would be an absurd omission in a consumer set sold here in Europe.
marmotasana

Post by marmotasana »

kamiboy wrote:Colour adjustments work on all my B&O televisions, yes, in RGB as well, as anything else would be an absurd omission in a consumer set sold here in Europe.
In my MX 7000 (European) I can not adjust the color if I am using a RGB input
Sid

Post by Sid »

kamiboy wrote:Colour adjustments work on all my B&O televisions, yes, in RGB as well, as anything else would be an absurd omission in a consumer set sold here in Europe.
It would absolutely be absurd. I never had any question that the colour on my MX4200 was showing results from colour adjustments.

MushiMaster, the original quote actually appears to be from futurematf5, not fagin. I had hoped that some context would shed more light on what he was explaining - but I don't see it personally........

"5. Inputs and sockets

Both of the AV Scart inputs are capable of accepting RGB video via the 21 pin connector. However, sockets must be configured correctly. To do this:

MENU > SETUP > SOCKETS

Set AV-1 to V-TAPE 1 and AV2 to V-Tape 2 or V-AUX.
You will then need to access these AV input channels using the corresponding button on your remote, or via the LIST function to obtain addition commands from the programmable beo4 remote. These are RGB configured inputs and MAY NOT provide a stable colour image for NTSC or composite signals in all cases. It may require some trial and error to establish the best input signal for any given console / system. The TV does however accept both 50hz and 60hz signals, and both PAL and NTSC signals.

Using S-video, it is best to connect to a scart converter, this way you can also plug the audio into the scart socket.

Colour adjustment will have no effect if you're using RGB."
Last edited by Sid on Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Seeing videos of the MX7000 in action I can see that the menu system it uses seems rather primitive compared to the ones I have on all my B&O TV's, which are all early to mid 2000's models.

Maybe the inability to change colour in RGB mode was an omission of older B&O sets. A rather odd omission for such an decadent piece of kit. So let prospective owners know to be on the lookout for the later era B&O CRT models. The MX4200 is a good candidate which should be easy to find. The Beovision 1 also comes very highly recommended.
marmotasana

Post by marmotasana »

That is, a console cable can not be adjusted RGB color ... right?
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

My MX4000 with firmware 4.3 doesn't allow RGB color adjustments. Even if I set color to 0 it's still the same.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Well, the MX4000 was only made up until 2003. The MX4200, which I have here, was made from 2003-2007. It belonged to the last CRT lines that B&O made. My other two B&O's, Beovision 1 and Beovision 3 also belong to that tail end line.

They all have similar looking menus, and all allow colour adjustments in RGB.

I am frankly quite baffled by how earlier models seemingly lacked this feature. Quite shocking, really, considering how those older models had a retail price of several thousand pounds.