New Sync Strike - Available Now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hamburglar

Re: New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:How are you connecting your DC. RGBH or RGBHV?
RGBHV
fagin

Post by fagin »

Thats not RGBH then is it.... which is the input you're expecting to work. You DC test is not 100% conclusive.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:Thats not RGBH then is it.... which is the input you're expecting to work. You DC test is not 100% conclusive.
So to verify this test I just need to unplug the V and see if I still get a picture?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

No, I don't think that your Extron will actually convert H/V to C-Sync. IF this works, then it only works but unplugging both H and V and again using Etron's "S" output to Edge's "H" input.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Ok so then it's entirely possible this Extron won't even do what we're trying to get it to do? Meaning now I have to buy a third Extron, the 580xi?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

no, I don't think so (meaning you should be fine with what you got).

While I can't really talk from experience here (I don't have an Edge anymore), we never talked H/V to C-Sync conversion. Your source is C-Sync already and that's fine for the Extron as long as you use the C-Sync output.

Can you do a very basic test and connect a RGBs source as it was initially thought to be connected, using the C-SYNC input on your Edge instead of the H/V inputs. Can you try this in three variatians:

a) 15khz RGB SOURCE -> EDGE
b) 15khz RGB SOURCE -> SYNC STRIKE -> EDGE
C) 15khz RGB SOURCE -> SYNC STRIKE -> EXTRON -> EDGE

All three should work. If one is not, we might be able to pinpoint the problem.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Fudoh wrote:no, I don't think so (meaning you should be fine with what you got).

While I can't really talk from experience here (I don't have an Edge anymore), we never talked H/V to C-Sync conversion. Your source is C-Sync already and that's fine for the Extron as long as you use the C-Sync output.

Can you do a very basic test and connect a RGBs source as it was initially thought to be connected, using the C-SYNC input on your Edge instead of the H/V inputs. Can you try this in three variatians:

a) 15khz RGB SOURCE -> EDGE
b) 15khz RGB SOURCE -> SYNC STRIKE -> EDGE
C) 15khz RGB SOURCE -> SYNC STRIKE -> EXTRON -> EDGE

All three should work. If one is not, we might be able to pinpoint the problem.
Ok, finally got to try this. The only situation where it does not work is with the Extron. The picture is completely red and very distorted.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Well I'm off to buy the 580xi, my 3rd Extron RGB :|
hijakt

Post by hijakt »

what does the blue strip down the side do? Is that a RGBHVG outputs? Im thinking of getting this for a Sega Saturn PAL which apparently doesnt have CSync (it uses Comp video), so i can get the Scart cable and connect to sync Strike to 15hz monitor. That'll work yes?

I currently have a 15 D Sub connector wired to my arcade monitor, connected to a Dc with the 15hz hack, I could connect the vga connector of this to that yeah? Also can I usse this with any console that'll output 15hz over RGB Scart.

Im getting a PAL Saturn, Now am I right in saying the PAL saturns dont have CSync, theerfore I'd need to strip the sync from Comp Video?Therefore I can use this as a sync stripper.
fagin

Post by fagin »

The strip down the side is breakout! :)

Yes to the Saturn question.

Yes to the DSUB connection.

Yes to the console question.

Yes you can use this as a Sync Stripper (that is what it's for).
hijakt

Post by hijakt »

Yeah, I placed my order last night, Im learning all this stuff now.

If I put a 480i input it going to output 480i
same with 240p (That why I'm getting a Sega
Saturn heheh)

Save me building a LMM18 circuit into an RGB cable and I can use it for all consoles that have RGB cables-AWESOME !!!!!!!
fagin

Post by fagin »

hijakt wrote:If I put a 480i input it going to output 480i
same with 240p (That why I'm getting a Sega
Saturn heheh)
Yes
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

You know guys you can just PM me if you've questions on the Extron trick :)

1) The Extrons DO do RGBHV to RGBs conversion.
2) No, you don't need a 580xi, I sold my 580xi and I'm using a 203 Rxi and doing the exact same conversion with it. You can feed RGBHV in and take RGBs out as Fudoh says, just by connecting your DSub 15 cable. into the extron unit and then connecting RGB and S out, as explained on my site.
3) DSP has poor compatibility with the DVDO Edge. At lower resolutions it might work, but pretty much anything over 640x480 it's a no-go. Turn on the DDSP switch while you experiment.
4) Its the EDGE GREEN that cannot handle 240p not the XRGB Mini, the XRGB Mini only struggles with 288p (as in 50hz PAL).

Oh and also almost forgot

5) If you're getting no signal, maybe you connected the wrong sync wire from your DSub15 to 5 RCA cable? Swap the sync cables (i.e so the black one is connected rather than the white, for instance).

Console->Sync Strike(RGBHV via Dsub 15)->Extron (RGBs)->Edge works for me, no need to sync split/rejoin from the Sync Strike let the Extron do it.

Yeah I know this is late but better late than never
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
kerkyra2009

Post by kerkyra2009 »

Dear ALL,

How about connecting an Amiga vintage computer through sync strike to gsb-8220 upscaler to scandouble the 15khz outpout of Amiga to standard vga monitor?

The conversion diagram for the cable used to convert the old 23pin rgb video connector from amiga to scart is as follows : Image

A lot of people are trying in Europe / Greece to connect the amiga to the upscaler by converting the 23 pin rgb out to the 8 pin input header of the gsb-8220 uscaler with no real success mainly due to the sync signals. There is an adaptor 23 pin rgb to vga 15 for amiga but obviously this does not work either.

The question is if the sync strike is the missing link to their quest???

Any info available

Athens Greece
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Worth a try but I don't think so, Amiga already outputs raw sync. Do you mean the GBS-8220? I would have expected the Amiga to work with that just fine. My Amiga CD32 SX32 connected to my DVDO Edge RGBs inputs without any modification to the sync signal.
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
kerkyra2009

Post by kerkyra2009 »

BuckoA51 wrote:Worth a try but I don't think so, Amiga already outputs raw sync. Do you mean the GBS-8220? I would have expected the Amiga to work with that just fine. My Amiga CD32 SX32 connected to my DVDO Edge RGBs inputs without any modification to the sync signal.
Yes My friend we are talking about the gbs-8220. Unfortunately does not work properly.

See below in the picture how we are trying to connect it:

BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

and that doesn't work? Hmm, well it certainly can't hurt to try the Sync Strike. The Sync Strike will work with both composite video for sync and raw sync. I did not need any sync processing for my Amiga on the scalers I have tried, but I do not own the gbs-8220 personally.
fagin

Post by fagin »

What do you mean it doesn't work? What's happening?

What input are you choosing?
kerkyra2009

Post by kerkyra2009 »

Unfortunately I do not have the results from the latest try outs yet. (I do not own a gbs-8220).
At least with the combimation No 1 it is steady for a liitle bit and then the stability is lost.

When we have the results form the last try outs I will post the results.
gumbo

Post by gumbo »

If I run a widescreen source (e.g. Wii with RGB and set to widescreen mode) through the "DIY Scaler Kit" will the end results displayed on the TV be 16: 9 or a distorted/cropped 4:3 display?
fagin

Post by fagin »

The maximum this scaler will accept is 480p, so the input if widescreen would be letterbox format (I suspect).

Output will be at whatever resolution you choose and whatever ratio you have set on your TV.
gumbo

Post by gumbo »

Thanks, I just tried it there with the cga2vga scaler set to the usual 640x480 and the TV screen stayed at 4:3 regardless of what wii setting was enabled (there was no letter boxing for 16:9). After manually setting to TV to display 16:9 it fit the screen fine. Guess I'll just manually enable the appropriate setting depending on the console in use.
Thanks again!
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

For monitors that dont have a VGA connection like a 15khz monitor can you connect the video breakout cable from the monitor to the screw terminals on the Sync Strike and then plus a SNES into the Scart socket so you get the display on the monitor from the SNES?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Yes
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

lettuce wrote:For monitors that dont have a VGA connection like a 15khz monitor can you connect the video breakout cable from the monitor to the screw terminals on the Sync Strike and then plus a SNES into the Scart socket so you get the display on the monitor from the SNES?
Fagin wrote:Yes
So is it ok to use the above setup combined with the UMSA device for connecting a PC to the monitor, for example....

PC>VGA cable>UMSA>Scart cable>Sync Strike>video breakout cable to monitor

Or can I just use a VGA cable from the PC to the VGA connection on the sync strike and then to the monitor via the screw terminals on the sync strike, or is the VGA connection 'output' only on the sync strike?
fagin

Post by fagin »

If you have BNC inputs on the Monitor, just use a DSUB (PC) to BNC (Monitor) cable. What type of inputs does the monitor have?
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

fagin wrote:If you have BNC inputs on the Monitor, just use a DSUB (PC) to BNC (Monitor) cable. What type of inputs does the monitor have?
Off the top of my head, R,G,B, V sync, H sync, Ground
fagin

Post by fagin »

What connector type I meant. :mrgreen:
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

fagin wrote:What connector type I meant. :mrgreen:
fagin

Post by fagin »

Mmmm.... you would need to find out if your monitor accepts composite sync. That loom is RGBHV but that doesn't mean it can't take RGBc.

The SS does not output a proper RGBHV signal.