Questions that do not deserve a thread

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Fudoh

Re: Questions that do not deserve a thread

Post by Fudoh »

A 5V/12V/-12V combi-PSU with a custom pinout. You can find the pinout here on the board.
ryu

Post by ryu »

can s-video cables for a pal snes be used on a pal n64 and vice versa?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

ryu wrote:can s-video cables for a pal snes be used on a pal n64 and vice versa?
Yes you can but PAL N64 does not output S-video iirc
firebird

Post by firebird »

Are there any shmups that run on a higher resolution than 240x320?
(A few searches did not bring up any1 atleast.)
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

What about all the native 31khz boards, like Noami or Taito Type-X ? Their standard resolution is 640x480.
ryu

Post by ryu »

gundamalpha wrote:
ryu wrote:can s-video cables for a pal snes be used on a pal n64 and vice versa?
Yes you can but PAL N64 does not output S-video iirc
i'm pretty sure it's just rgb that it won't output unmodded. would be damn miserable if it was composite only..
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Stainomo

Post by Stainomo »

I'm currently building an LM1881 sync splitter. I have a working setup (snes - rgb - rgb to rca - scaler) but when i add my LM1881 nothing happens...

I measure 2.5sish volt on the in-pin, 0.5v on the out pin, that's with cables connected.

Disconnected i measure the voltage of my powersupply on the out pin (is that normal?).

Any idea what the problem is? I use http://gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:lm1881 - already replaced the chip. It's connected to a 12V powersupply, already tried a 7V one aswell.
ryu

Post by ryu »

anyone know what might be wrong with this crt monitor? whenever a signal is fed into it this weird green mask stretches all over the screen. it's also always sort of on-top of the picture, falsifying all colours.

http://youtu.be/-SuAFNc8JmA
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

Can I get some help with MAME? Was told it was easy, but that person was probably a professor in computer science. No quality or up to date tutorials either. I'm just trying to play the first 3 DoDonPachi's, Pro Gear, and Ketsui. I have no idea what to do and I'm getting frustrated.
RGB32E

SNES Component Output! D:

Post by RGB32E »

Found this over on nfggames. From the looks of it, any SNES with a "S-ENC" RGB encoder outputs component video! Just add 1K ohm resistors to ground on the B-Y and R-Y lines, tap Y, and you have component output! I'm going to try this out on my GPM-01 in the near future! If this is a viable solution, it will be an easy solution where component is the best connection, and no need for CSY2100 units and the like!
In short, early SNES decks have a BA6592F encoder, which spits out instead of clamped RGB, YPbPR!

This VERY ELUSIVE datasheet was helpful:
http://mikejmoffitt.com/BA6592F.pdf

Here is a writeup:
http://mikejmoffitt.com/wp/?p=74

And a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-C59SAVUow
anticipating

Post by anticipating »

Random question - is it bad to leave a device in standby connected to a stepdown transformer? By bad I mean for power wastage and for the longevity of the stepdown. How about leaving a device such as the xrgb mini turned on opposed to in standby?
Thanks in advance
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Does the Extron Emotia do 240p? No Super, no GX, just simple old Emotia. And what's the maximum input resolution it can take?
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The original Emotia does 240p output, yes. And it accepts VGA (640/720x480p) only.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Fudoh wrote:The original Emotia does 240p output, yes. And it accepts VGA (640/720x480p) only.
So it doesn't take any interlaced input?
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

No, the Emotia is a COMPUTER GRAPHICS to Video converter. As are all the other Emotia units.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Gotcha, thanks for the response
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

anticipating wrote:Random question - is it bad to leave a device in standby connected to a stepdown transformer? By bad I mean for power wastage and for the longevity of the stepdown. How about leaving a device such as the xrgb mini turned on opposed to in standby?
Thanks in advance
I think its universally accepted that if a device generate heat while on standby mode will incur some form of wear and tear, plus increases your exposure to power spikes. Be green and switch off the stuff you dont need.
kyuzo

Post by kyuzo »

So is getting video from my cab to my brand new VP20 really as easy as splicing four rca plugs to RGBS on the jamma harness and plugging it in?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Jamma video levels are quite high which might throw the VP20 off. You should add some resistors (220 ohm) to the RGB lines when feeding the processor.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Anyone know where I could find the contrast on the monitor chassis in my Astro City 2?

I see my gains and brightness in the control panel, and the cutoffs, something labeled "s.p.c", and some H and V pots. Is it located in a different section of the chassis?

Also, I have a switch labeled "SS.SW", and the positions of the switch are labeled "A" and "B". Is this a duel res switch?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

What is the word that describe this: The 2d backgrounds doesn't scroll as fast as your sprite moves thus creating "lagging" on the background when playing 2d side scrolling games on flat screen tvs/monitors? :oops:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

what ?
rugdoctor

Post by rugdoctor »

if it is intended by the programmer, its called parallex scrolling, but seriously, its motion blurr, is that what you mean?
gundamalpha

Post by gundamalpha »

rugdoctor wrote:if it is intended by the programmer, its called parallex scrolling, but seriously, its motion blurr, is that what you mean?
I don't think it's motion blur since it's not blurring but more like screen tear but this is not the whole image, just that the backgroung suddenly "jumped" due to fast motion. I could be wrong though :oops:

Edit: Just checked, no it's not motion blur. This question struck to me when I was playing Princess Crown on a LCD monitor when the characters are moving and the background kept "jumping" as if it couldn't match the refresh rate. The problem gone once I switch to CRT
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Can't say that I've noticed something like this. Does it happen with a 15khz connection to the TV or with a 31khz one ? In the former case, it might be a deinterlacing effect. If it happens with the later one it might be a effect caused by the TV's interframe creation software. I would be interesting to see a video of this (if you have the possibility).
antron

Post by antron »

gundamalpha wrote:What is the word that describe this: The 2d backgrounds doesn't scroll as fast as your sprite moves thus creating "lagging" on the background when playing 2d side scrolling games on flat screen tvs/monitors? :oops:
ahh, that's just the chronic.
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

:lol:
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Will a HDMI to VGA converter have any input lag?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

No, they should all work line-based, so there's no buffering delay.
ryu

Post by ryu »

anyone know if there's software to help with setting a monitor's colours correctly? i got a nice vga crt that i want to use for working on graphics, but none of the presets set correct colours. for example i always have to reduce the green cut-off (whatever that is) since otherwise it would show green tones for blacks and greys.