STGT 2k6 Week #4- Dragon Blaze

javel

Post by javel »

Javel - Team Sweden - 1,021,600 - Stage 1-7 - Quaid (MAME)

Ok, so I had to give it another go... (been playing since my last post actually.. :oops:) No missed into 1-5 for the very first time but wasnt prepared for the insane rank increase and got killed instantly. Rest of the stage went well, then one death at the big evil skull on stage 6 and another death at the boss.

After savestating the hell out of 1-7 I can conclude that it´s actually much easier than 1-6 (not counting the final boss)
gionmatsuli

Post by gionmatsuli »

Up;
760.700- Team Stranger - Gion - 1-6 - Ian - PCB
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Rob wrote:
Icarus wrote: Hope you're getting ready to move the tournament scores over to your main score thread. ^_-
You're cruel. A possible solution (i.e. this is what I'd do if a thread I was maintaining got ambushed by a tournament week): post the results as they are in the thread (in a separate chart, below the main one) and let people elect to copy their scores over if they want.
I may need to do something like this for the simple reason that some may be unhappy to have their scores immortalized. I know, e.g., that Super Laydock hates DB and for all I know he doesn't want his score preserved in the official highscore thread.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Sparky - California Dudez - 535,600 - 1-5 - Quaid - (MAME)

Sorry for the delay.

Edit: Format
"Make-up! Jewels! Dresses! I want it all! Sigh... And some new accessories would be nice..."
Zigfried the Trizealot

Post by Zigfried the Trizealot »

Zigfried - Feka USA - 647'400 - 1-5 - Quaid - (PS2)

//Zig
howmuchkeefe

Post by howmuchkeefe »

howmuchkeefe - Team Old Schoolers - 570,000 - Stage 1-4 - Quaid - (MAME)

That's it for me, I've had all I can take for this week. I'm bugged that I didn't hit the extend, but I won't go to bed tonight feeling like a slacker.

Good show, Old Schoolers! ...especially to The Coop, Ed-057 and Turrican. WTG. :D
Rob

Post by Rob »

Zigfried the Trizealot wrote:Zigfried - Feka USA - 647'400 - 1-5 - Quaid - (PS2)

//Zig
That's the spirit.
thesuperkillerxxx

Post by thesuperkillerxxx »

umm yeah so I didn't play this game hardly at all

201,200 - thesuperkillerxxx - Stage 2 - Sonia - Super Buffet S. T.

The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Final update. I gave it another whirl, and I'm officially done playing for this week. All in all, it's a pretty good game that I did better at than I expected tp.

The Coop - Team Old Schoolers - 1,114,100 - 2-1 - Quaid (MAME)

All that shit for less than 12,000 more points. I demand a recount :lol:

howmuchkeefe- Thanks :)
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

sooo mad......so, so mad......
DJ Incompetent - Drink & Fly - 679,000 - 1-5 - Quaid (MAME)

:evil::evil: There's a fucking karma joke in here somewhere....isn't there, mulletgeezer...
zakk

Post by zakk »

Zakk - Team Cowboy - 559,300 - 1-4 - Quaid (PS2)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Only a few hours left and I'm definitely not playing anymore, so here's my verification replay:

stages 1-1 to 1-4

-Epic power metal. I wanted to include a Dragonforce song, but don't like them enough to know a good one.
-Retarded dodging on the 1-1 boss. I was bored.
-Mediocre playing on stage 4, saved by having plenty of bombs to waste. I assume I'll die by 4 or 5*, so I use them all. Luckily there's a good spot to dump them at the cannonball section to make collecting that lot of points easier (got 50,000).
-*I was right.

stages 1-5 to 2-1
-Impossibly dumb death on 5th boss.
-On stage 7, since I had no buffer lives left, played a little conservatively. Exciting stuff.
-Ten seconds of loop.
mulletgeezer

Post by mulletgeezer »

DJ Incompetent wrote:sooo mad......so, so mad......
DJ Incompetent - Drink & Fly - 679,000 - 1-5 - Quaid (MAME)

:evil::evil: There's a fucking karma joke in here somewhere....isn't there, mulletgeezer...

Beaten by another member of your team by the smallest possible margin? Nice! We should have some kind of prize for this kind of thing.

Rob: Nice replay. Do you really think DB has a scoring system equal to any Cave game? I still like this game but i think the way it makes you repeatedly shove your dragon into enemies to score is rubbish, and it doesn't punish you for mistakes enough. The TB is ok but it should score more and maybe not allow you to do it with a bomb, which would take proper skills to achieve on stage 4.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Zakk - Team Cowboy - 567,400 - 1-4 - Quaid (PS2)

Dunno if I'll play again before the deadline. sorta close to the extend tho...
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Skyline - California Dudez - 471,840 - 1-5 - Ian (MAME)

Not a lot of time on my end for practice this week, unfortunately.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Since there's a couple of hours left, I've uploaded a resource I put together from my teams forum to the Strategy Forum: approximate coin chest locations.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

lol since this game is pretty void of any other strategies than "use dragon shot ALOT" and "get the coinheads (which you will without fault after about 5 credits)" the swedish team have spent their week trashtalking instead :P
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Edge

Post by Edge »

Scores updated. Let's see if someone posts a new score in the last 30 minutes... hmm.. I think I'll give DB another go by myself. I like the dramatic last tries... :p
zakk

Post by zakk »

I'll be that guy!

Zakk - Team Cowboy - 658,100 - 1-5 - Quaid (PS2)

Knew I could crack that extend before the deadline. I used the Rob approach to 1-4. 1-5 was comical, I don't know the stage at all.
Edge

Post by Edge »

Week is over. No more Scores

Nice, zakk. I tried but I simply couldn't stand the game anymore and turned it off after 1 minute... well, I personally find Psikyo games pretty frustrating anyway.

EDIT:
Will post the results tomorrow, will be busy today. Have to prepare for Japanese lesson now.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

My score is replay verified:
http://bigcore.rsdio.com/icarus/dragonb ... id_icr.avi
(Thanks to zakk for kindly providing hosting)

Notes:
- lucky dodge to TB Desert4 boss without bombs (had none left)
- no miss to stage6 skull midboss
- stage6 TB negated in favour of safe progression
- all coin chests gained from first loop, coin chest gained in 2-1
- first loop ended for about 1.25mil
landshark

Post by landshark »

Icarus wrote: - lucky dodge to TB Desert4 boss without bombs (had none left)
You go for the tech bonus on that? You get more points by waiting for the TB to disappear, then dragon shooting the 3 groupings of enemies that come out. They unload a ton of coins. Just weaken the boss as you are are getting the groupings and you can single-dragon shot him when his core pops out and he gets all pissed. It's pretty easy and yields good points at 1-4.
- no miss to stage6 skull midboss
This boss is evil. If you are not in the bottom center of the screen, his spread that is SUPPOSED to go around you (2nd wave attack) clips you as he backs away and shoots it. Evil.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

landshark wrote:You go for the tech bonus on that? You get more points by waiting for the TB to disappear, then dragon shooting the 3 groupings of enemies that come out. They unload a ton of coins. Just weaken the boss as you are are getting the groupings and you can single-dragon shot him when his core pops out and he gets all pissed. It's pretty easy and yields good points at 1-4.
I just don't like the boss at 1-4 difficulty, so I went for the TB and luckily got it.
landshark wrote:This boss is evil. If you are not in the bottom center of the screen, his spread that is SUPPOSED to go around you (2nd wave attack) clips you as he backs away and shoots it. Evil.
I've had much better runs through stage6, but for some reason on that run I mistimed the initial dragonshoot and then backed into the spread. -_-;;
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

DJ Incompetent wrote: I'm crackin' three beers. One for malcolm, one for Kiken, and one for Acid King. Our team is shaping into somethin' fierce! I've become the outdated model...

fucking. awesome.

I'll shoot for the blitzkrieg Monday like I always do.....but damn! It's like I don't even need to!? :idea:
Don't feel so bad. I'm the one that feels like a douchebag. I probably could have pushed my score up some more if it wasn't for my lousy girlfriend yelling at me the few times I played over the weekend ("Stop playing that game and pay attention to me").
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Rob

Post by Rob »

mulletgeezer wrote: Rob: Nice replay. Do you really think DB has a scoring system equal to any Cave game? I still like this game but i think the way it makes you repeatedly shove your dragon into enemies to score is rubbish, and it doesn't punish you for mistakes enough. The TB is ok but it should score more and maybe not allow you to do it with a bomb, which would take proper skills to achieve on stage 4.
I like it, I'm biased, and I've yet to be able to play any Cave games for score... My favorite is Dangun Feveron, which also has a very simple scoring system. I really don't like the "you get this item to charge this meter to get this other item" type of scoring system. And chaining, no matter how meticulous it must be to lay out the stages, is just never interesting or fun to me.

You're right, though, it doesn't feel like it punishes enough or gives enough points for the constant risk taking. It's a very slow trickle to points that seems to add about a third extra to the total, beyond the easy icons and semi-easy tech bonuses (aside from exorbitantly hard 6). There really isn't enough detail in the scoring to make me want to continue with it, but it was a nice bonus for another Psikyo clear (which could've been a little boring without something different).
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Sigh, it's regretful not being able to reach the extend. Still, I bought the game a day before the week started, and I wasn't sure to reach stage five at first...

It's a cool game.
X - P - B
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Acid King wrote:Don't feel so bad. I'm the one that feels like a douchebag. I probably could have pushed my score up some more if it wasn't for my lousy girlfriend yelling at me the few times I played over the weekend ("Stop playing that game and pay attention to me").
:lol: You too huh. My girl wanted to stay with me the whole weekend. I left an ace in the hole a week ago by spending the extra cash and getting her the entire Sex and the City collection for her birthday. Teamed with the fact I finally got my insurance check from my robbery and rebuilt my entertainment center, the woman excitedly preoccupied herself with most of season 1 while I got to work on this tourney thing. Can't say I was focused with the constant snobby hollywood relationship dialogue and talk of dildos and tantric sex...while I'm playin' a game about goddamn dragons of all things.

...yeeeah, less D&Dish shit for next week? The goal was not to become the nerdiest guy I know. :? :wink:
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

a game about space and blasters isn't any less nerdy tbqh
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

....I..have no rebuttal…..’cept maybe Batrider...or Strikers..

you win
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

I'd be interested to hear more about this suggestion that DB doesn't punish enough for mistakes. I'm not understanding. Example?

I'd also be interested to hear more about non-nerdy shmups. Strikers is a pretty good suggestion, DJ. Definitely needs further investigation, though. My vote goes to Raiden.