Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DrKingSchultz

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by DrKingSchultz »

there is a white band at the top of the screen and a multi coloured one at the bottom when the monitor is displaying a black screen on a PS3, what is the cause of this/thoughts?

ps:

My snes is missing it's official scart, does anyone know a great place to buy a pal snes compatible high quality scart? Thank you
Last edited by DrKingSchultz on Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
noonan2678

Post by noonan2678 »

DrKingSchultz wrote:
there is a white band at the top of the screen and a multi coloured one at the bottom when the monitor is displaying a black screen, what is the cause of this/thoughts?
Interesting as I've gotten the same with some systems outputs...I believe it was on my Genesis only. Fudoh had mentioned to me that the color band is the pallet being used and it's normal to be displayed. You'd correct it with overscan. The white band I never figured out, so +1 to this issue. The white was displayed on the left side of the image for me and was only when using an XRGB mini, so maybe a different issue...
nissling

Post by nissling »

Finally got around to get some screenshots of my BVM-20F1J that arrived from Japan one week ago. What do you guys think? :)

Spoiler

ryu

Post by ryu »

jelaous.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

nissling wrote:Finally got around to get some screenshots of my BVM-20F1J that arrived from Japan one week ago. What do you guys think? :)

Spoiler

I think you have a much, much better camera than I do.
nissling

Post by nissling »

I'm using a Nikon D80 along with a Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1 3.5-5.6g. ;)
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

Holy moligans, I came
Saturngamer81

Post by Saturngamer81 »

yeah really great picture, that tube is in great shape,, also jealous
nissling

Post by nissling »

Only problem is that the included BKM-24N supposedly doesn't work, which I knew when I bought the monitor. It's recognized but basically won't take any signals. Does anyone have any idea what the problem may be?

Other than that I'm 100% satisfied. Being crazy is worth it sometimes. :)
mattll

Post by mattll »

Hi, I've got a JVC BN1400PN
I need help with my female scart to rgb bnc adapter :?

I wired up:
7 - Blue
5 - Blue Ground
11 - Green
9 - Green Ground
15 - Red
13 - Red Ground
19 - Sync
17 - Sync Ground

However I get this with ex sync on:

I've tried redoing the sync solder but I get the same thing.
Have I got the wrong pins for the sync?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
nissling

Post by nissling »

So here comes more captures. This time, pure NesRGB glory! :D
Spoiler

This has to be the most amusing monitor of them all. No matter what I try, everything looks pretty much perfect. Contrast, brightness, sharpness and colors are all excellent. I don't get this at all, but it doesn't matter, just keep on playing and loving it! :lol: :mrgreen:
Saturngamer81

Post by Saturngamer81 »

You show off :D. I think games with lower/less color palettes look better tbh.. I love mostly the look of System 16 type games: outrun, afterburner etc. The blue/red etc skys and fireballs just pop out of the screen. Long live CRT.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

just nabbed a bvm20f1u from the harpo studios auction for $60. has 66k crt hours and 70k hours total... basically ran for 8 years straight.

once I turn it on, it actually takes awhile for the colors to normalize and for the scanlines to stop scrolling. currently hooking up a saturn via composite cables. should it take like 5 minutes or so to warm up?
a creature... half solid half gas
jedman

Post by jedman »

was bidding on a BVMA32 earlier, thought I may win it as it was untested with no video cards, put £100 down which I thought was a reasonable amount, woke up today and someone one it for £450! some people must be made of money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-BVM-A32E ... fresh=true
sixbynine

Post by sixbynine »

If it’s working without issues 450 pounds is very reasonable. The BKM-16R is worth a few bucks too. Although to track down needed input cards (especially the 68x) can be a pain.

Something else: If I got a YPbPr source connected to the 68x, will it properly sync through Y?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

If I got a YPbPr source connected to the 68x, will it properly sync through Y
of course. That's what the 68x was made for, wasn't it ?
Last edited by Fudoh on Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sixbynine

Post by sixbynine »

I guess :D But it also takes RGBs, right? I mean what would the sync-in be there for otherwise?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

sure, RGBs and RGsB and YPBPr.
Saturngamer81

Post by Saturngamer81 »

Some-Mist wrote:just nabbed a bvm20f1u from the harpo studios auction for $60. has 66k crt hours and 70k hours total... basically ran for 8 years straight.

once I turn it on, it actually takes awhile for the colors to normalize and for the scanlines to stop scrolling. currently hooking up a saturn via composite cables. should it take like 5 minutes or so to warm up?
the Manuel says 30mins warm up time or something,, both my BVMs pictures look best after they have been on for 10-20min or so, and mine has lower hours than urs,,,
jedman

Post by jedman »

sixbynine wrote:If it’s working without issues 450 pounds is very reasonable. The BKM-16R is worth a few bucks too. Although to track down needed input cards (especially the 68x) can be a pain.

Something else: If I got a YPbPr source connected to the 68x, will it properly sync through Y?
I guess Im just jealous really. If it works fine then I could see why that would be a good deal, it is a bit of a gamble though.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

Saturngamer81 wrote:
Some-Mist wrote:just nabbed a bvm20f1u from the harpo studios auction for $60. has 66k crt hours and 70k hours total... basically ran for 8 years straight.

the Manuel says 30mins warm up time or something,, both my BVMs pictures look best after they have been on for 10-20min or so, and mine has lower hours than urs,,,
ayy... thanks for the response. so far I've done pretty good at configuring it without the manual but I should probably flip through it a bit.

do you usually leave it on standby for 30 minutes? I guess it makes sense that it takes so long to boot since most places just kept it on 24/7 anyway.
a creature... half solid half gas
Saturngamer81

Post by Saturngamer81 »

Some-Mist wrote:
Saturngamer81 wrote:

ayy... thanks for the response. so far I've done pretty good at configuring it without the manual but I should probably flip through it a bit.

do you usually leave it on standby for 30 minutes? I guess it makes sense that it takes so long to boot since most places just kept it on 24/7 anyway.
i usually put them on with no signal for 15mins then start playing. I want to re cap my deflector boards,, to fix some convergence and geometry issues. With ur hours i think you should do the same. Hopefully some one will eventually post enough information on how to go about this. I presume my deflector needs re capping because some geometry settings on the menue dont adjust write. so some have aged.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Should my 14L5 be able to run the auto chroma/phase in RGB mode?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Einzelherz wrote:chroma/phase ... RGB mode?
RGB is RGB, there's no chroma or phase.

You can get a rough idea why this is so by looking at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrominance

The setting doesn't work in other forms of component (I think here meaning YPbPr also) either: https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/223/19322
nissling

Post by nissling »

Today is Armageddon for me. I'll let you know later what's going on...
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

nissling wrote:Today is Armageddon for me. I'll let you know later what's going on...
You have explosive diarrhea and your last meal was extra pepper-charged ?

EDIT: i can only think about one worse thing: fantastic crt crushed during delivery, or burning.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Saturngamer81

Post by Saturngamer81 »

nissling wrote:Today is Armageddon for me. I'll let you know later what's going on...
Hope that you are ok mate.
nissling

Post by nissling »

I'm alright at the moment, but I've got some serious CRT business going on that will come to an end this evening.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Criterion Laserdisc Spine #40: ARMAGEDDON.

Full LD 480i glory on his BVM. That's serious CRT business.
nissling

Post by nissling »

I thought the Criterion Laserdisc of Armageddon was #374 or something. Their last LD. However their DVD was very early.