Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DrKingSchultz

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by DrKingSchultz »

BazookaBen wrote:
DrKingSchultz wrote: Could anyone link me to a few pictures or a YouTube video on the dangers and big red flags that could be present when buying a 20 year old crt, what should I be looking out for when trying to perform a proper test when I am collecting the set.
Well, I think you're basically as qualified as me. You lived through the 90's, right? You were surround by tubes. Did you never see one that was going bad? If the tube isn't doing stuff like that then I would be OK with it for the most part.

For all the PVM's I've purchased in the past, I would take a PS3 with a component cable and BNC adapters, and I would have images from this website loaded on it. An S-video cable would even work too. I guess if you only had a composite cable, it would probably work well enough to notice any serious issues.

Better yet would be to bring a Wii or some older console running the 240p test suite: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35554

That's all I got.
Thank you for that very informative and helpful reply! :)
nio

Post by nio »

Ui, have a BVM-D20F1E. 50 Hz signals look perfect. 60Hz Signals the scan lines seems to breath, moving up and down like .1 mm. I also have this pulsating/shacking behavior in the menu. No clue whats going on.
DrKingSchultz

Post by DrKingSchultz »

Is this pvm better than the pvmL2? The condition looks a lot better..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-Trinitro ... 3f4e1ae33a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-TRINITRO ... 25a605fc25

Any thoughts on which is the better TV?
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

The second link looks to be a bunch of L2's and L5's. The monitor in the first link is good as well, i really like the old school SONY design of the bezel.
Last edited by kamiboy on Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Um, did you not see where the second seller said multiples times the mointors are "AN ABSOLUTE BARGAIN!!!!!!"? Seems pretty clear to me.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

Einzelherz wrote:Anyone know what this is?

http://m.publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1376895
Looks like one of the later Megaview monitors. IIRC these will accept 15kHz 240p RGB all the way up to 800x600@60, and possibly XGA.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

A 37" CRT as versatile as the NEC XM series? Quite a catch I dare say. Imagine gaming on that, it would dwarf the tiny 25" TV I play retro games on presently.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

How close are you to that auction, Einzelherz? I'm kinda interested in it, and I'm about 3 hours away.

37 inches is definitely going to require professional assistance!
nissling

Post by nissling »

Does anyone know if the Sony HDM-3830E can take 720p signals through YPbPr? I'll be getting one of those within a month...
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

180kg - that's what I call heavy duty.

Always wondered how the big HDM models fare, so certainly let us know! Certainly one of the most expensive monitors ever built. I think the 38" "retailed" for around $75.000.

Technically they're specified for D1 (480i), D2 (480p) and D3 (1080i) only, but given that these use an analogue I wouldn't really rule out D4 (720p).
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Fudoh wrote:180kg - that's what I call heavy duty.

Always wondered how the big HDM models fare, so certainly let us know! Certainly one of the most expensive monitors ever built. I think the 38" "retailed" for around $75.000.

Technically they're specified for D1 (480i), D2 (480p) and D3 (1080i) only, but given that these use an analogue I wouldn't really rule out D4 (720p).
So are these monitors almost always multi-sync? Was upscaling only used with consumer HDTV CRT's?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

On a production or broadcast monitor you want an unaltered rendition of your input signal - at least as far as possible.
nissling

Post by nissling »

A fellow of mine has the HDM, which originally was imported by SVT (Swedish Television), and now he wants to get rid of it so I'll get it for free. I'll let you know all about it once it's in my house.

I've got a fully functional Crystalio VPS-2300 so I will be able to display several kinds of signal on it with no major issues other than possibly noticeable input lag (although I'm not very sensitive in that era). If it can take 720p however it may be the optimal HD CRT for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Ed Oscuro wrote:How close are you to that auction, Einzelherz? I'm kinda interested in it, and I'm about 3 hours away.

37 inches is definitely going to require professional assistance!
Much further. I just thought it was neat and posted for anyone closer.

If you win it though, you can find me a cheap 20L5 and we'll call it even :-)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Haha, I guess I'll have to bid on it then. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the shipping / assistance fee, but I'll give it a shot.

I actually do have a PVM 20L5 at ZIP 49016, if you're interested! I wouldn't want to ship it again but I would be willing to give 'er a push out the door.
DrKingSchultz

Post by DrKingSchultz »

Not having much luck, I am a 2.5 hour drive either way to pick up the pvmL2, the seller tells me I can only pick the monitor up between 6pm-7pm Monday to Friday, giving me a 1 hour time window :( given I finish work at 5:30pm and then get home for 6pm, it's a set up for failure. Very Unreasonable, told him to keep it.

Does anyone happen to know anything about the Sony Trinitron PVM-2130QM and how it compares vs the l2

Here is an image for those not familiar with the model

If any UK members here, happen to have any spare, nice pvm/bvm's and they wouldn't mind selling one, let me know I can travel to collect and would compensate your loss.

Worth a shot..
Bancho

Post by Bancho »

DrKingSchultz wrote:]If any UK members here, happen to have any spare, nice pvm/bvm's and they wouldn't mind selling one, let me know I can travel to collect and would compensate your loss.[/b]

Worth a shot..
Not sure where your located.. but 6 monitors for £10! Absolute bargain :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191595373208? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Haha, I guess I'll have to bid on it then. I'm not sure I'll be able to afford the shipping / assistance fee, but I'll give it a shot.

I actually do have a PVM 20L5 at ZIP 49016, if you're interested! I wouldn't want to ship it again but I would be willing to give 'er a push out the door.
Well I'm only a 12 hour drive away... :D

I drove about 5 hours round trip for my 14L5 and that was pretty taxing. At least it was cheap.
nissling

Post by nissling »

My Sony BVM-20F1J arrived today, all the way from Japan (to Sweden). Although it did survive the shipping flawlessly from what I can see, my back is aching so much from carrying it upstairs. I think I'll have to get some massage tomorrow.
Spoiler

bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Surprised it made it, that's fairly minimal packaging really. Peanuts will shift the weight around, and when there's that much weight, that's definitely a problem. Congrats!
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

My Sony BVM-20F1J arrived today, all the way from Japan (to Sweden).
you're crazy.
nissling

Post by nissling »

I know it may be the last solution, but that's the way it went this time. :P It has slightly less than 7000 hours of usage and is in great condition overall so I wouldn't complain. Shipping wasn't that bad either (most European sellers charge a bit less but the monitor itself was fairly cheap so in the end I didn't lose any money). Avoided customs as well.

But I'm not kidding, I could barely sleep last week and had nightmares over how the BVM would be destroyed in transit so I was fully aware of the risk. :P
DrKingSchultz

Post by DrKingSchultz »

Bancho wrote:
DrKingSchultz wrote:]If any UK members here, happen to have any spare, nice pvm/bvm's and they wouldn't mind selling one, let me know I can travel to collect and would compensate your loss.[/b]

Worth a shot..
Not sure where your located.. but 6 monitors for £10! Absolute bargain :-)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191595373208? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Thank you this is unbelievable!
nissling wrote:I know it may be the last solution, but that's the way it went this time. :P It has slightly less than 7000 hours of usage and is in great condition overall so I wouldn't complain. Shipping wasn't that bad either (most European sellers charge a bit less but the monitor itself was fairly cheap so in the end I didn't lose any money). Avoided customs as well.

But I'm not kidding, I could barely sleep last week and had nightmares over how the BVM would be destroyed in transit so I was fully aware of the risk. :P
Very nice! Lucky the set arrived in one piece, be careful of your back though man, congratulations on the great pick up. 8)
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Fudoh wrote:
My Sony BVM-20F1J arrived today, all the way from Japan (to Sweden).
you're crazy.
If we're being honest, I'd say most of us in this thread are.
nissling

Post by nissling »

Also, I don't think most of you guys know just how difficult it can be to find a good PVM or even BVM in Sweden. The demand is fairly high among retro gamers around here but very few are available local and international shipping can be very expensive. You usually cannot get bigger than 14" due to this and for that reason most people here get an XRGB-Mini (I love my Mini as well, but there's just something about pro-CRTs that I like).
Saturngamer81

Post by Saturngamer81 »

nissling I usually import mine from Germany to Sweden on a pallet. Did you buy yours from ebay? I have both a bvm 20g1e and a 20f1e. What hours do you have?. We should start a Swedish BVM/PVM preservation club here, exchange tips on maintenance etc.

Congrats btw on the BVM.
nissling

Post by nissling »

I bought it on Yahoo Auctions out of all places. Originally I thought about shipping it on a pallet but my agent suggested TNT Express which turned out cheaper and went really well although I will probably not buy another 20" monitor from Asia again. Like I said it has 7000 hours of usage which I'm satisfied with.

Nice to hear from more Swedish folks. :) I do have a fellow in Täby who has a 20" BVM (not sure which one but not G1, F1 or E1) and unfortunately the PSU is dead due to the previous owner. I will pay him a visit the upcoming weekend and see what model it is.
DrKingSchultz

Post by DrKingSchultz »

Well I picked up that pvm, it was filthy very poorly looked after, opened her up :cry:
Rust everywhere..

Rusty spoiler
Spoiler

Image quality^ can anyone give me advice on how to clean up all this rust? I was using q-tips with a hand alcohol/sanitiser and managed to remove a lot of the rust, Dried to board, went over it with a dry tooth brush, but this is not the correct method I'm sure.

Edit I am going to repeat the process again with IPA Isopoperol Alcohol from maplins.

I must say I am VERY disappointed with the condition and state of this pvm, the filth of it, every part of the chassis is scratched/not secure. It even had white paint splatter on top of the monitor, I could pick any part of the PVM's chassis and give it a wipe and the wipe is turning from bright white to pitch black :x I'm surprised it even works, the seller was acting mad shady. I suppose, It should make do until I can find something better. Waste of £110 I must say :cry:
Last edited by DrKingSchultz on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Naval jelly or blue and rust remover can clean up rust. I'd use it sparingly and only on components after they've been removed from the case.

That said, I'm not seeing a lot of rust on my phone, but maybe some dirty flux.