Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
brentsg

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by brentsg »

Skykid wrote:
trap15 wrote:@LS:

Armpit and other pubic hair is there to capture pheromones.
That's interesting. Does that mean women who shave their pits and downstairs areas are more difficult to entice with man pheremones then?
Fortunately they can then attract the folks into the Kojak thing.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

MX7 wrote:Humans don't emit pheromones.
Okay, now I'm royally confused. :)
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

trap15

Post by trap15 »

Skykid wrote:
Me too :?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Deca

Post by Deca »

null1024 wrote:Having to flip over consoles to get a game to boot.

It's annoying, especially since I can't think of why that would actually help, even though it does. Also, having to flip the damn thing over again to switch games is annoying.
I'm late on this one, but I've had similar experiences. I could be completely off base here but I figured it might rock the laser over so that it was a bit closer to the disc, since there's a small amount of play in the assembly.
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Not a "little thing", but I wanted to scream upon reading this.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ever had a huge beard in the winter, dudes? Trust me, it helps so much.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
xbl0x180

Post by xbl0x180 »

I cannot grow a beard or a moustache... but I still grow enough facial hair to require shaving! :evil:
null1024

Post by null1024 »

This Galaxy S3's inability to play DDP:R. I've gotten the game to work properly once, and that was a complete fluke.
It runs, it just shows a black screen after five seconds. All inputs and audio work.

Also, the absolutely massive sound latency on the thing.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

trap15 wrote:
Skykid wrote:
Me too :?
Maybe it's not pheremones per se, but male smells definitely play some kind of role in female sexual sex-lection of a mate.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Vice-versa as well. I know :)
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Maybe it's not pheremones per se, but male smells definitely play some kind of role in female sexual sex-lection of a mate.
Mainly those of leather, paper and green ink. :P
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Things that cause minor angst:

Those moments when you do a mental tally of all the MT-32s, CM-32P and CM-64 stuff you have, coupled with the knowledge you still don't have anything which interfaces with them

edit: Also finding out that Microsoft's stupid-ass verification system on the Xbox does jack shit unless you go to the URL shown on the screen - the way it's written, it seems like it's an optional step. Not so; got dicked around again because I didn't set it up. Let's hope that not fucking around with other options won't require me to go through that shit a third time. Fuck you, Microsoft. Even when they're trying to be helpful they fuck it up.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

People that don't understand the difference between a video game remake and an (enhanced) port. A remake is obviously when they you know, remake a game? A port of a ds game on 3ds with added features isn't a god damn remake.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Zerst

Post by Zerst »

Mosquitos
Dimahoo is a fun game.
<trap15> C is for Bakraid
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Not necessarily a "little" thing: how fucking unclear Linux is.

I was trying to install it on a USB drive, but somehow wound up erasing my hard drive and needing to reinstall everything. And I lost a lot of Works-in-Progress that hadn't been backed up because of this.

If only Linux had said "this is your main hard drive" instead of labelling it with its cryptic /dev/sba bullshit, that wouldn't have happened.

Lesson learned: Always remove the hard drive if you're trying to install Linux.
The resident X-Multiply fan.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It's not cryptic. There's no way to say "this is the main hard drive" because there isn't such a thing. The names are assigned based on when they're identified. sda is the first, sdb the second, etc.

Chances are, it told you the sizes of each drive. Chances are, you didn't bother to look and just assumed sda would be what you wanted. Chances are, you didn't pay enough attention and if you had bothered to, it wouldn't have happened.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

trap15 wrote:It's not cryptic. There's no way to say "this is the main hard drive" because there isn't such a thing. The names are assigned based on when they're identified. sda is the first, sdb the second, etc.

Chances are, it told you the sizes of each drive. Chances are, you didn't bother to look and just assumed sda would be what you wanted. Chances are, you didn't pay enough attention and if you had bothered to, it wouldn't have happened.
This kind of view is exactly why Linux variants are not as popular as they could be, and why I can't be assed to do anything with it. Need experience to use it, need to use it to get experience, and perfectly intelligent people get shot down when making valid points or otherwise asking for help, so they get stuck, so they don't get the needed experience, so they give up.

Why bother with even trying Linux if you have to already a Linux programmer/hacker to be able to get it going and to use it effectively, and when you don't, get slammed by people with this kind of attitude? There is surely a way to make the process less cryptic, but chances are, the Linux community doesn't give a fuck, therefore nothing will get done. At least Ubuntu somewhat tries, or at least the last time I bothered to give it a look and it actually started up correctly it did.
captnrain

Post by captnrain »

You didn't at the very least check the size of the disk or its contents before you nuked it? You got what you deserve and it isn't linux fault.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

captnrain wrote:You didn't at the very least check the size of the disk or its contents before you nuked it? You got what you deserve and it isn't linux fault.
I'm very sorry for you data loss, but I have to agree with this^^. I have a friend who asks me for help with computer stuff (I hate helping people with this shit, stop bothering me) and many times I've helped him only to have him do stupid shit like this. I hope you've learnt a valuable lesson.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

A while back I accidentally nuked a partition in Windows 7 when trying to merge partitions, so this can happen pretty much anywhere. Although in many ways these are different cases, there is the basic reality that if you don't know what's going on, you can't just hope for the best.

That said I am glad for the forewarning about Linux, since I have been interested now and again in trying it on a USB drive. However I find it hard to believe that there aren't clear and readable drive tools for setting up Linux which will tell you what a drive is (if you know the size of each volume or physical drive, at least).
trap15

Post by trap15 »

If you know the sizes of all your drives, you should be able to tell which is which pretty easily, since I think every tool will tell you that when you have to pick one. Additionally, the first devices enumerated are generally your internal drives, so sda is probably going to be your primary hard drive.
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

trap15 wrote:Additionally, the first devices enumerated are generally your internal drives, so sda is probably going to be your primary hard drive.
^this. Linux is pretty clear on which drives are what. Never have been confused by it. But I will agree, its more on the lines of "Know thy hardware". Its clear on whats there, but depends on what you see is there.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Does Linux support the same kind of volume labelling that Windows does?

Also, what is the most typical file system used with Linux? Wikipedizu says that NTFS performance via the NTFS-3G system on fragmented files can be poor.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

NTFS is a terrible filesystem in general. Ext3 and Ext4 are the most used filesystems on Linux, though I've been known to dabble in the most killer of filesystems, ReiserFS :wink:

It does support labels, but those are per-partition, not per-disk. So if you're doing operations on the disks themselves and not partitions, you won't see them (since they're not relevant). Same in Windows, except I don't think Windows makes it readily apparent that it only exposes partitions, and it's quite difficult to get to just the media itself. And when you do, it ends up being just like Linux: labeled with numbers and letters.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

captnrain wrote:You didn't at the very least check the size of the disk or its contents before you nuked it? You got what you deserve and it isn't linux fault.
I did check the size, elitist monsiuer.

The thing that threw me was that it showed five different partitions on the drive. In Windows, I have my drive split into a C drive and an E drive, so I expected two partitions, three if I count the hidden recovery partition. I saw five partitions and had no reason to suspect it was my HD.

On top of that, it wasn't until it deleted a few that it showed a whole bunch of megabytes (it shows megabytes, not gigabytes) and I realized that's way too big for the USB drive.

Dude above you is right, Linux users are way too elitist, and you're demonstrating it.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Ed Oscuro wrote:That said I am glad for the forewarning about Linux, since I have been interested now and again in trying it on a USB drive. However I find it hard to believe that there aren't clear and readable drive tools for setting up Linux which will tell you what a drive is (if you know the size of each volume or physical drive, at least).
Something else I learned that would've saved me some headaches. This may not be for all versions of Linux, but for Zorin at least, it typically offers three install options: Completely replace windows, Install alongside Windows, and Something Else.

For some reason, it kept fucking up when I picked the latter two--it wouldn't take the entire USB drive (apparently they were partitioned before). But when I picked "completely replace Windows," It took the entire drive, automatically blanked it and made the kind of partitions it likes, and installed with no hassle.

Why hadn't I used this option in the first place? Because due to its label, I assumed it would nuke Windows even though I was installing it on a USB drive... which fortunately, it won't in that case. Just another way Linux doesn't clearly telegraph itself... (of course, I'm sure the Linux-lovers will say this is my fault for not being psychic and magically knowing this as well :roll: )
I have a friend who asks me for help with computer stuff (I hate helping people with this shit, stop bothering me) and many times I've helped him only to have him do stupid shit like this. I hope you've learnt a valuable lesson.
Yeah, I have. Two, actually.

One, always remove your hard drive before fucking with Linux if its been awhile.

Two, don't expect sympathy from Linux users. They're almost as stuck-up as Ninja Gaiden fans and have the same "you didn't magically know that this would happen despite there being no logical way to reasonably expect this? IT's YOUR FAULT!"

I swear, if I got into a traffic accident, some people here would say its my fault for driving a car.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

For the record, I'm not a "Linux user/lover".
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
spl

Post by spl »

Edmond Dantes,

May I ask why you are trying to install Linux in the first place?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Things that annoy me: Razer.

At least my mouse is back to working. It'd be nice if the shoulder buttons on my Onza stopped acting up. Nice to have the left shoulder button seize up entirely (due to something loose rattling around inside, it's been that way since I bought it and should've sent it in at the time, in retrospect) when trying to line up a shot against a bear in Red Dead Redemption.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Things that annoy me: Razer.

At least my mouse is back to working. It'd be nice if the shoulder buttons on my Onza stopped acting up. Nice to have the left shoulder button seize up entirely (due to something loose rattling around inside, it's been that way since I bought it and should've sent it in at the time, in retrospect) when trying to line up a shot against a bear in Red Dead Redemption.
This.The Onza is a piece of shit.

I bought it for $50, $10 less than what the official 360 controller was going for. Regret every penny: should've gone for the official controller or looked around harder for a third-party controller that was cheaper (at the time they weren't too easy to find locally). Now I've got a Rock Candy one that was $20-30 and already seems better-built.