Little things that annoy the hell out of you

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
AntiFritz

Re: Little things that annoy the hell out of you

Post by AntiFritz »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Abusing cultural tolerance by speaking another language in a place where English is obviously the dominant and preferred language (and I could've sworn used to be in the Forum Rules). Case in point: JAPJAC.
This. It's not like there isn't like twice as many french shmup forums then english ones...
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Rob wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:(they don't have a concept of "seasons" in Japan, despite what american box sets tell you--
Huh. Now that I think about it, Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger had "seasons" too.

This is probably just another thing they picked up from the west though. Used to be, they pitched different "seasons" as entirely new series (that's why you had Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try...)
The resident X-Multiply fan.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Edmond Dantes wrote:
Rob wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:(they don't have a concept of "seasons" in Japan, despite what american box sets tell you--
Huh. Now that I think about it, Unofficial Sentai Akibaranger had "seasons" too.

This is probably just another thing they picked up from the west though. Used to be, they pitched different "seasons" as entirely new series (that's why you had Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try...)
Yeah, I've noticed that in the last few years japan has been doing the whole seasons thing. But generally I don't think they do.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

When customs screws up and charges tariffs on goods that don't have them.

Also when UPS compounds this by adding on brokerage fees and then refusing to add any value beyond "pay up or refuse the package".
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

This is probably just another thing they picked up from the west though.
there's stuff like Aibou that's been running for years and years that has seasons - i just think it's on a case by case basis : some manga are hot so they commission the anime and just have it run, other things like dramas etc run in seasons or until they burn out.
"It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved."
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Having to flip over consoles to get a game to boot.
No idea why it works, and it's one of the silliest things ever. Had disc read issues playing Triggerheart Exelica on my DC -- at first it seemed fine, but then the game crashed loading a stage, and then wouldn't even get past the Sega logo before kicking me back to the DC menu. The disc is clean and unblemished.
flip that fucker over, game works fine

I've had to do it with my PS2 and a PS1 before too. IIRC, there were some early model PS1s that pretty much demanded being flipped to prevent FMV stutter or something like that.

It's annoying, especially since I can't think of why that would actually help, even though it does. Also, having to flip the damn thing over again to switch games is annoying.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

null1024 wrote:Having to flip over consoles to get a game to boot.
No idea why it works, and it's one of the silliest things ever. Had disc read issues playing Triggerheart Exelica on my DC -- at first it seemed fine, but then the game crashed loading a stage, and then wouldn't even get past the Sega logo before kicking me back to the DC menu. The disc is clean and unblemished.
flip that fucker over, game works fine

I've had to do it with my PS2 and a PS1 before too. IIRC, there were some early model PS1s that pretty much demanded being flipped to prevent FMV stutter or something like that.

It's annoying, especially since I can't think of why that would actually help, even though it does. Also, having to flip the damn thing over again to switch games is annoying.
It probably stabilizes the read head or the disc spinner thingie. DVD players have a magnetic holder to stabilize disc while it spins, DC, PS1 and PS2 lack it but have some kind of latch on the spinner itself. Or, the lens has some dust on it and flipping it over drops some of it. Either way, you should open it up clean the lens drive shaft, re-grease it, clean the lens. That will fix it. how do i know this, I used to fix DVD players and have fixed my PS2 too.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

That Daffy is always the bad guy whenever he and Bugs are featured in the same short or commercial. Dunno why this bothers me, it just does.

How fast you die in Rainbow Six. Seriously that's.... probably not worth mentioning on a Shmup forum now that I think about it.

Lately been raising a kitten, and that's... sometimes its not a problem, other times its the most annoying thing in the world. Weird how that works. Worst thing IMO though is that its making my existing cat feel like she's been ousted.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Edmond Dantes wrote:How fast you die in Rainbow Six. Seriously that's.... probably not worth mentioning on a Shmup forum now that I think about it.
The original ones? I always loved going through solo or with at most a team of two people following me. Always hated spending time on the planning phase.
dcharlieJP

Post by dcharlieJP »

All the R6 games were pretty great - and dying quickly (or the threat of dying quickly) was part of the appeal. Whilst i moaned with the move to a different -style- of game for the X360/PS3 versions , i couldn't get enough of Terrorist Hunt.

the xbox games were pretty awesome - especially when you heard someone go "oh shit there's about si...*BANG* <silence>" and you just saw the X on the map.
"It's really the only sensible thing to do, if its done safely. Therapeutically there's no danger involved."
Edmond Dantes

Post by Edmond Dantes »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Edmond Dantes wrote:How fast you die in Rainbow Six. Seriously that's.... probably not worth mentioning on a Shmup forum now that I think about it.
The original ones? I always loved going through solo or with at most a team of two people following me. Always hated spending time on the planning phase.
Yeah, I'm starting to feel that at the moment. Planning seems for the most part useless, since there's no way to really know what's going on in the level until you've played it a few times--its just trial-and-error. And then most of the time, the plan doesn't work anyway because the dirt-stupid AI got hung up on door frames.

I'm thinking of approaching this the way you guys do--single team, just play it like a very strict FPS and fuck the planning. Especially since I actually do enjoy the action bits.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

One thing that's good about playing the Rainbow Six games solo is that you get to see all of the levels.

The other possibility is just having a couple agents around the level, when necessary to tackle things from different angles. It's funny but I don't recall the series ever attempting to do simultaneous takedowns until the "new era" (R6 Vegas and the like); previously all you needed was to silently take out a group of enemies in a room and that would be enough to keep the hostages safe, despite the insinuation that you had to coordinate those.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Mmm, censored ROMs. MD on top, Wii VC on bottom.

BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

AntiFritz wrote:This. It's not like there isn't like twice as many french shmup forums then english ones...
I can't speak for the amount of forums in a certain language or not, but it's not like you just walk into a conversation in another language and speak a completely different one. For example, one does not simply sit next to two people in Australia speaking Indian and then speak to them in German. But that's another topic in of itself.

I had something else I was going to post here about, but I've forgotten what it was. So I'm posting about how forgetting what it was that annoyed me to begin with is in itself a little thing that annoys the hell out of me. Littleannoyingshitception.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

BIL wrote:Mmm, censored ROMs. MD on top, Wii VC on bottom.
W... whoa! :shock: That looks TERRIBLE! Did they even try? :x
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
drauch

Post by drauch »

trap15 wrote:
W... whoa! :shock: That looks TERRIBLE! Did they even try? :x
All building nipples must be censored. Nintendo 2k.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

brentsg wrote:
Also when UPS compounds this by adding on brokerage fees and then refusing to add any value beyond "pay up or refuse the package".
Also a big fan of this, especially when there wasn't any actual customs fees beyond the brokerage fee, and the fact that the brokerage fee seems to be random, as sometimes it's like $35, others I've had it as high as $60.

Made even better by the fact they will not take cash. :evil:
KAI

Post by KAI »

People who think I'm into heavy metal cause I have long hair.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

People who think I'm not into heavy metal even though I have long hair.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

People who think I'm not into heavy metal cause I have short hair.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
gabe

Post by gabe »

People who think I'm not into heavy metal because I have short hair.

EDIT: FUCK!
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I can't think of any logical reason why facial hair, armpit hair, and the like exists. The hair on your head makes sense, it protects your head and neck from sunburn. Eyebrows and eyelashes keep debris out of your eyes, arm and leg hair helps to better detect things like insects that land on you.

But facial hair wtf. "Lets have something that itches, gets in the way of your mouth if it gets too long, and is a pain in the ass to shave" says nature when mankind is evolving. "How about something that amplifies how much your armpits smell? Thats a good idea, too." says evolution when it unlocks one of mankinds upgrades on the evolution chart.

why would people think you're into a certain kind of music because of the length of your hair?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Those towers look circumcised.

@ Lord Satori: Facial hair might have evolutionary advantage in that, like hair on the top of your head, it signifies status. Hair in the unmentionable places perhaps cushions those areas. A hairless area is probably more prone to taking damage and chafing as well, and it can be just plain uncomfortable to be hairless in some areas. There's possibly an angle to say some of it is just vestigal, but I kind of doubt that.
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

brentsg wrote:When customs screws up and charges tariffs on goods that don't have them.

Canada post USUALLY leaves any package marked $50 or less alone. I have gotten stung before for packages with a higher marked value. We get hit with an HST tax (13%) + a "handling fee" which is the 2 minutes Canada post slaps a customs charge on the package.

The other day I got a package I ordered off eBay. Was marked at a low $10. Ten fucking dollars.

Got stung with $9.60 handling fee + $1.30 tax making the customs worth more than the god damn package.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

@LS:

Armpit and other pubic hair is there to capture pheromones. Also helps prevent sticking and other uncomfortable things that are related.

Sweat is not only a means of cooling, but it also releases pheromones.

:mrgreen:

Not too sure what facial hair is for.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Those towers look circumcised.
I guess nintendo prefers to look at dicks.

speaking of nintendo, the fact that they've utterly abandoned the mother/earthbound franchise. I swear an Earthbound remake would be the greatest thing of all time, but no, they'd rather keep cranking out versions of New Super Mario Bros.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

trap15 wrote:@LS:

Armpit and other pubic hair is there to capture pheromones.
That's interesting. Does that mean women who shave their pits and downstairs areas are more difficult to entice with man pheremones then?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Pubic and pit hair is there to extend the range of your body's smell. Your personal smell may attract some people and also turn some people off, this is nature's way of telling you who your attracted to as well as looks of course.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

trap15 wrote:Armpit and other pubic hair is there to capture pheromones.
Oh snap, you're right.

Facial hair is probably another sexually selected trait.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Humans don't emit pheromones.