I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sima Tuna

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Sima Tuna »

Is it time?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCWVMZoRHhY

MAZINGER... ZEDDO!
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

velo wrote:Mazinger Z: May 11, 2023
!!!!! Ooooh.

In other news, Taito has announced another game on their upcoming Milestones 2 collection: Solitary Fighter. 1991 2D fighting game on F2 hardware, and the sequel to Violence Fight.

These Taito Milestones collections are bundles of the Hamster AA releases, so that might as well be confirmation that Solitary Fighter is coming to AA, along with Dino Rex from the initial Milestones 2 announcement. Violence Fight isn't yet on AA either, but feels like that would also be a likely future release. Lots of Taito 2D fighter action, I guess (as KOF '96 would say... Violent Fighting to Come Again!)
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

hamfighterx wrote: In other news, Taito has announced another game on their upcoming Milestones 2 collection: Solitary Fighter. 1991 2D fighting game on F2 hardware, and the sequel to Violence Fight.

These Taito Milestones collections are bundles of the Hamster AA releases, so that might as well be confirmation that Solitary Fighter is coming to AA, along with Dino Rex from the initial Milestones 2 announcement. Violence Fight isn't yet on AA either, but feels like that would also be a likely future release. Lots of Taito 2D fighter action, I guess (as KOF '96 would say... Violent Fighting to Come Again!)
GoGOON!

Didn't know a sequel to VF existed; the original is quite the crowd pleaser, so I'm excited to check this out.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

velo wrote:Galaga '88: Apr 27, 2023
\o/
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

So, Mazinger Z is going to be nearly double the normal Arcade Archives price in Japan at ¥1500 (normal price ¥800) - those license fees weren't cheap, I guess!
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/164 ... wsrc%5Etfw

Probably means a $14.99 or similar price in the US.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

I'm sure that will be only in Japan, since we've got a licensed title with the average price already (ahem, Tetris The Grand Master).
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
cfx

Post by cfx »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:I'm sure that will be only in Japan, since we've got a licensed title with the average price already (ahem, Tetris The Grand Master).
Tetris The Grand Master certainly exists in Japan as well--it wouldn't exist elsewhere if it didn't. Price is the usual 837 yen of every other ACA title until now.

Not all licenses or licensing fees are the same.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

That happened over on Pinball FX3 as well, when they added a classic Indiana Jones table at triple the normal cost. Although I think that one is because the tables have pictures of the actors faces and less about licensing the IP, as there are Star Wars tables with not-quite-look-and-sound-alikes priced at the usual amount.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

hamfighterx wrote:So, Mazinger Z is going to be nearly double the normal Arcade Archives price in Japan at ¥1500 (normal price ¥800) - those license fees weren't cheap, I guess!
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/164 ... wsrc%5Etfw

Probably means a $14.99 or similar price in the US.
Not surprised by the price. I was surprised to see that UFO Robo Grendizer is one of the player characters, though the anime is Mazinger related.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Going to put my wishful thinking cap on again and gamble that the remaining unannounced game for Taito Milestones 2 is going to be Night Striker.

It fits chronologically in the 'empty space' in the marketing materials, and it's a very buzzy game - one that you'd save for last to generate interest in the collection.

If I'm wrong, I'll buy one of you...
Spoiler
absolutely nothing lmao
Steven

Post by Steven »

Time for tuna sashimi; Darius II is in Taito Milestones 2. Yay! It's in Cozmic Collection, though, so there is some overlap with that.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Steven wrote:Time for tuna sashimi; Darius II is in Taito Milestones 2. Yay! It's in Cozmic Collection, though, so there is some overlap with that.
It's a real honor to be wrong so quickly.

Damn, though.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

It's actually the 3-screen version of Darius II specifically, so it's not in the Cozmic Collection.

Having played both I don't think 3-screen is superior to 2-screen Darius II, but maybe some like it?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Apparently the 2 screen version is Darius II as it was first envisioned. The 3 screen variant was released to accommodate operators who wanted to convert a preexisting Darius or Ninja Warriors cab.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Is there a rundown of the differences between Assault and Assault Plus anywhere?
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

From one of Aquas' videos:
Assault Plus removes the first stage of the original Assault and rearranges the original stage designs with new enemy placements, locations and behaviors and a color palette change. It is harder but also tweaked to be more balanced, at least in my opinion.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Looks like the "Surprise" game was revealed earlier than we've expected.

Anyone thought Tecmo Knight had "No Future!" in home porting? Arcade Archives: Wild Fang is the next release for May 2nd.
https://twitter.com/4GamerNews/status/1 ... bquPAtAAAA
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I might actually buy that one.
BIL

Post by BIL »

More like WILD BONE Image

Dear Sweet Jebus, every time I take a break from Internet Funnin, I come back to a white-hot thermonuclear bonerdetonator of an ACA pick. Few years back it was Zero Team, more recently Metal Black, and now, the exact literal Tecmo dream pick I was pining after a few pages back Image

Well, that and Silkworm, either is cool. :cool: More Tecmo is Good Tecmo! Their AC team were beasts of technical prowess, bloodening design nous, and (an underrated asset imo) good humour. AC Ninja Gaiden is one of those rare legitimately funny videogames. Japanese tourism + extreme ninja ultraviolence upon men in assless chaps. I headcanon it so the FC game was a movie, and this was what the stunt double and his rowboat homie (actual mahfuckin ninjas) did on their off days. :cool:

Ah well I'm off to finish unloading my stuff. I've been looking forward to Cosmo Gang and Galaga '88 all week as it is Image
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Wow, don't lose your head over it. :lol:
jehu

Post by jehu »

Everytime BIL posts that image, it's a real cause for celebration :lol:
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Meanwhile, I'll be waiting for the official spellings of the kingdom (I put it on Wikipedia as Valdik) and final boss (Deglomes)...
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Tecmo Knight/Wild Fang is out now (US Switch at least). Tuesday release is unusual, I think this may be the first time we've seen that for a US Arcade Archives release.

The enemy designs in this game are deranged and I love them. Played like 15 minutes with no sound while I was in a work meeting earlier, good use of time!
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

I won't say no to an early gift. Wild Fang is awesome!

I do kinda wish the backgrounds made it more clear that you're fighting giant monsters though. All of the environments and buildings are scaled up to the monster size, which makes sense if you're invading their turf, however it looks like you're playing a tiny dude in a normal sized world. For example, if the first stage started in a human-sized city with the big monsters romping around, possibly crashing through buildings or scooping up other humans as they flee, it would make this scale more clear.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ohshi, out in JPSN now too :shock: You know what, fuck going to sleep, let's get the living room set up :cool: Was planning on this being tomorrow afternoon's fap. :mrgreen:
Udderdude wrote:Wow, don't lose your head over it. :lol:
Can I have ALL A THEIRS INSTEAD Image Image
CRP

Post by CRP »

hamfighterx wrote:Tecmo Knight/Wild Fang is out now (US Switch at least). Tuesday release is unusual, I think this may be the first time we've seen that for a US Arcade Archives release.
Could be they released it earlier because of gold week in japan.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Golden Week is a reasonable enough guess on the weird release day. Still a bit curious that they changed it now after observing the usual Thursday release schedule (Friday for Nintendo games because they have to be special) for the rest of the past 7+ years, but that's as a good a hypothesis as any.

I noticed the 5/2 date from Sturmvogel's post and wondered if that was correct. So hopped onto the eShop during my meeting this morning to see, and was pleasantly surprised!
Jeneki wrote:I do kinda wish the backgrounds made it more clear that you're fighting giant monsters though. All of the environments and buildings are scaled up to the monster size, which makes sense if you're invading their turf, however it looks like you're playing a tiny dude in a normal sized world. For example, if the first stage started in a human-sized city with the big monsters romping around, possibly crashing through buildings or scooping up other humans as they flee, it would make this scale more clear.
Ahhh yeah that's a great idea. It definitely takes a minute to grasp "oh, I'm RIDING on this giant dude", not just playing as the big guy who is similar to the size of the enemies. Switching to the tiger and seeing your smaller little fella riding him helps put it into context, but your suggestion sounds even better.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote:Ohshi, out in JPSN now too :shock: You know what, fuck going to sleep, let's get the living room set up :cool: Was planning on this being tomorrow afternoon's fap. :mrgreen:
Udderdude wrote:Wow, don't lose your head over it. :lol:
Can I have ALL A THEIRS INSTEAD Image Image
Came out today on UPSN at 12 midnight. I like it so far. Feels almost like a combination of Rygar and AC Ninja Gaiden with the brutality upped x10. I noticed the player characters are named Duke and Fleet in the manual. Possible UFO Robo Grendizer reference (main character in that is named Duke Fleed/Freed)?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

*ahem*

:shock:
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Marc

Post by Marc »

Decent fun, feels like a mix of Shadow Warriors' movement and Double Dragon's wonky terrain abuse. I'm not seeing much use gir the big guy, the tigers deed and maneuverability seems yo be hands down more useful over the first few stages at least.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell