Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Acid_Rain

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Post by Acid_Rain »

Bananamatic wrote:spoilers: saidaioujou is a shmup
skrew you. you ruined the whole experience now :(
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:If you are able to memorize every little bit of where to place your ship before all patterns start and exactly how he dodged them from there just from watching videos and quickly get used to the big hit box and so on then maybe somehow you will find it easier than loop 1 in DDP. The reality is I cleared the first loop of DDP in less than 1/10 the time and didn't have any pre-placements memorized for it, just took it balls out. And that's with lots of clear videos of SDOJ watched and none for DDP. If you don't place your ship in the right places before a million of the patterns start in SDOJ then the patterns are way harder, way more than DDP. You don't see that in any of these videos, you just see a best case scenario for them all because they are so slick with their pre-placements/memorizations.
Evry shmup is like that... weren't all those sissy 1cc made by hydeaux about that?
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

A lot of shooting games have this element to a certain extent but it is taken to a new level for Cave games in SDOJ. Never before have I had to memorize so many pattern pre-placements for the ship. Maybe some Ultras or God Mode have the element this high but that is about it, not any base level modes. It is a lot to do with simply the difficulty of the patterns. If they weren't so hard then there would be more ways to consistently dodge them, even with no ship pre-placement needed at all. This along with a bigger hit box can turn some people off, at least initially.

Also the general difficulty tension level is sort of in overdrive, if that makes any sense. Where it is (was for me) perfect for a long time in Ketsui until around the end of stage 5, resulting in a zoned drug like feeling, it's overdone in SDOJ to the point where it often feels like "too much, ahhhh!". That's probably why some people sold their board quickly and some players quickly dismissed the possibility that they could ever clear it, even after years. But Cave can't make them all at the same difficulty level so it is what it is. I've been messing with you guys to a certain extent about the difficulty but it is (to me) higher than other Cave games to clear and if you look at a video and think it's easier than loop 1 of DDP then you are mislead.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:A lot of shooting games have this element to a certain extent but it is taken to a new level for Cave games in SDOJ. Never before have I had to memorize so many pattern pre-placements for the ship. Maybe some Ultras or God Mode have the element this high but that is about it, not any base level modes. It is a lot to do with simply the difficulty of the patterns. If they weren't so hard then there would be more ways to consistently dodge them, even with no ship pre-placement needed at all. This along with a bigger hit box can turn some people off, at least initially.

Also the general difficulty tension level is sort of in overdrive, if that makes any sense. Where it is (was for me) perfect for a long time in Ketsui until around the end of stage 5, resulting in a zoned drug like feeling, it's overdone in SDOJ to the point where it often feels like "too much, ahhhh!". That's probably why some people sold their board quickly and some players quickly dismissed the possibility that they could ever clear it, even after years. But Cave can't make them all at the same difficulty level so it is what it is. I've been messing with you guys to a certain extent about the difficulty but it is (to me) higher than other Cave games to clear and if you look at a video and think it's easier than loop 1 of DDP then you are mislead.
l2p

As far as i've seen, popcorn doesn't shoot DFKBL-walls in SDOJ? I can't imagine getting cornered with that fire rate. I can't even prove this when the port comes out, because I know (almost) all enemy placements thanks to hundreds of hours i've spent on livestreams :lol:
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Honestly, the really dangerous games are the ones that are balls hard even after you've memorized every enemy appearance D:
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Cagar wrote:l2p
He did and 1CC'd it. How much have you played SDOJ?

This argument sort of reminds me of when Pink Sweets first came out and people said "a rechargeable bomb and you can absorb bullets? this will be too easy!" The game isn't insurmountable, but it is challenging in a slightly different way than other Cave shooters. Top players on this forum will likely clear it within a day or two when they have the port in their hands, but stage 4 and on will be a wall for many people here.
O. Van Bruce

Post by O. Van Bruce »

NTSC-J wrote:

This argument sort of reminds me of when Pink Sweets first came out and people said "a rechargeable bomb and you can absorb bullets? this will be too easy!" The game isn't insurmountable, but it is challenging in a slightly different way than other Cave shooters. Top players on this forum will likely clear it within a day or two when they have the port in their hands, but stage 4 and on will be a wall for many people here.
That stage completely on the clouds... How much ball crushing can Pink Sweets get?

And those lasers... Those friggin lasers...
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

NTSC-J wrote:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

Out of interest, how long do the stages feel in SDOJ? More importantly, how fun is it to play if you suffer from major restart syndrome?

I've come to realise one of the things that annoys me about DFK is that the game seems to last an incredibly long time and up until later stages, doesn't really offer a lot in the way of challenge. I can handle Futari slapping me in the face on stage 3 and causing a restart, but for some reason DFK always annoyed me if I missed in later stages as it felt like more time had been invested. I reckon it might be due to the fact I was able to get bored due to the bullet cancelling - so it seemed longer. I certainly didn't feel that way about DDP or DOJ
facebook: Facebook
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

SDOJ is one of Cave's shortest games, which is both good and bad.

Stage 1 is pretty damn easy, so the restart syndrome should only kick in if you're really gunning for leaving the level with lots of hypers.
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

NTSC-J wrote:SDOJ is one of Cave's shortest games, which is both good and bad.

Stage 1 is pretty damn easy, so the restart syndrome should only kick in if you're really gunning for leaving the level with lots of hypers.
Cheers for that :)

Also, about hypers - what are the conditions for hyper release during boss fights? I seem to recall in DOJ you didn't cause hypers to spawn during a boss fight but instead banked them in reserve for the start of the next stage.. but you COULD release if you used a bomb. Also destroying boss parts and triggering berserk patterns caused a hyper to spawn.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

n0rtygames wrote:Also destroying boss parts and triggering berserk patterns caused a hyper to spawn.
You're thinking of stage 1 boss's side pods, right? No other boss had any destructible parts or berserk patterns per se.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

moozooh wrote:You're thinking of stage 1 boss's side pods, right? No other boss had any destructible parts or berserk patterns per se.
Correct :)
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

n0rtygames wrote:
NTSC-J wrote:SDOJ is one of Cave's shortest games, which is both good and bad.

Cheers for that :)

Also, about hypers - what are the conditions for hyper release during boss fights? I seem to recall in DOJ you didn't cause hypers to spawn during a boss fight but instead banked them in reserve for the start of the next stage.. but you COULD release if you used a bomb. Also destroying boss parts and triggering berserk patterns caused a hyper to spawn.
In DOJ, the condition for causing a full hyper bar to spawn a hyper item during a boss fight is having no bombs in stock and no hyper items in tow.
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

Obscura wrote: In DOJ, the condition for causing a full hyper bar to spawn a hyper item during a boss fight is having no bombs in stock and no hyper items in tow.
Oh, it's no bomb stock at all? I tend to play as Exi. Didn't know that :-)

So is SDOJ the same?
Meseki

Post by Meseki »

You don't pick up Hyper items in SDOJ (or DFK); once you fill the gauge, you can use the Hyper.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

SO

Anyone beaten Inbachi yet? Or did all the superplayers give up because it's retarded?
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Giest118 wrote:Anyone beaten Inbachi yet? Or did all the superplayers give up because it's retarded?
They're working on it in their secret underground arcades. Maybe they have, maybe they haven't.
They certainly wouldn't tell if they did, just like with Zatsuza back then.
KAI

Post by KAI »

There must be hundred of players waiting to see an Inbachi clear superplay, just to steal strategies.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Strategy for Lolibachi:
Be Attitude for Praying
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Avoid bullet for high score.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Shoot it until it dies
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
O. Van Bruce

Post by O. Van Bruce »

Jaimers wrote:They certainly wouldn't tell if they did, just like with Zatsuza back then.
Why Japanese are so Beta?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

We'll probably find out about an Inbachi clear via Arcadia, since they've started splitting Hibachi/Inbachi scores as of December's issue. A video probably won't surface until either a DVD or the port is released.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

New Arcadia is out. Lots of new high scores, but the only new Inbachi record is not a clear.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

I'm guessing the top scores are people who got 50k hits on stage 5 and pseudo-counterstopped it?
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Probably. The Inbachi clear is only going to be worth pursuing for score are the Shot players, assuming they don't find a way to hit the overflow as well.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

The only new Inbachi score was over 100 billion, so they definitely triggered the GP counterstop (I think it was a Laser-type). It makes sense that Inbachi scores will still be very high because triggering her means you NMNB'd and got at least 30,000 hits on the stage 5 chain.

However, Arcadia usually gives precedence to ALL scores, so once someone beats Inbachi I think they automatically get the new record even if the score isn't higher.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

This will seem a silly question, but are there even 30,000+ things to shoot in stage 5? Or is this the whole game we're talking about.
I don't like game-long chains. :(
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

The chain doesn't count how many things you kill, its affected by making contact with something for a period of time and what level the hyper is at. The chains are by stage, like with the other DDP games.