Toaplan games coming to PC (Steam, GOG)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sumez

Re: Toaplan games coming to PC (Steam, GOG)

Post by Sumez »

Lol just watched Jaimer's video. How can you have played Out Zone on PCB at least once and not notice the sound is completely screwed up? :O
I'm assuming that's not a romset issue, and also broken when playing the right version of the game?
Steven

Post by Steven »

lol right?

I tried this revision on MAME for the first time about a week ago and it seemed to also have broken sound effects, but MAME also told me that the sound emulation is imperfect, so it could be the ROM itself, but I've never played Out Zone on MAME before, so the other versions might sound the same, or perfect, for all I know.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Or maybe the sound hardware worked differently on prototype PCBs, and mame emulation doesn't account for that... and this release just copied that approach? :P

So do the sounds work properly when you're playing the "hard" romset?

(...as you should)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Pretty sure sound is still broken on the hard ROM, too. It's broken in every game to some extent.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Steven wrote:lol right?

I tried this revision on MAME for the first time about a week ago and it seemed to also have broken sound effects, but MAME also told me that the sound emulation is imperfect, so it could be the ROM itself, but I've never played Out Zone on MAME before, so the other versions might sound the same, or perfect, for all I know.
I can also confirm that when I boot up Out Zone from normal romset in Mame, the letters appearing on title screen do not sound like farts. They only sound like farts when you boot up the oldest romset, and only in the oldest romset you get the message "sound emulation does not work properly".

And they do sound like farts in the Bitwave steam version, which is, according to devs, the "better version". But what do I know, I'm just a representative of the nitpicking 0.01% who should not be taken seriously :mrgreen:
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

BIL wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:Poo-pooers, I'm starting to feel pretty good.
I know I felt good after those refreshing farts at Out Zone's title screen, you can't beat a good trump after a long day in the office Image

Waitaminute. That was the video. Image :shock:
Specially after drinking so much coffee at work. Free coffee. Abundant farts

Enviado de meu 2201116SG usando o Tapatalk
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Watched the first loop of Jaimers' video, isn't the 3rd boss behaving differently as well? I can't recall it cutting off the ground right from the get to...
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

emphatic wrote:Watched the first loop of Jaimers' video, isn't the 3rd boss behaving differently as well? I can't recall it cutting off the ground right from the get to...
Played the Bitwave and MAME versions back to back. The third boss behaves exactly same in both of them.

For the sounds in Bitwave could it be that they run the OPL2 emulation in 44khz instead of the 49khz it should be running?
Played both the "oldest" set and the "proper" ROM in MAME and the music plays at the same tempo in both of them. Also the st1 tune has strange off-pitch in MAME where the lead instrument sort of bends out of tune after the intro animation fades out.

I hope they can patch the Bitwave version since it feels a lot of better to play than MAME (input lag wise) if you play them back to back.
PerishedFraud ឵឵

Post by PerishedFraud ឵឵ »

jizz slap
Fun Over Victory| Shitpost Central | Shmusic Archive | Old Account | tuckfouhou@gmail.com
MJR

Post by MJR »

In Steam's discussion boards, devs said they had noted Jaime's video and are working on the fix. "Working on the fix" sounds better than "looking at the issues". Let's hope for the best :)
Steven

Post by Steven »

Great. I hope it's good.

One of my friends, who I have not seen in almost a decade, stopped by yesterday and the first thing I made him do immediately when he got to my house was play Out Zone. He's never even heard of Toaplan but his immediate reaction was something to the effect of "THIS IS FUCKING INCREDIBLE!" and he was disappointed when I told him that the PC version is super broken. I look forward to the day when I can tell everyone that I know to get the PC versions.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Steven wrote:Great. I hope it's good.

One of my friends, who I have not seen in almost a decade, stopped by yesterday and the first thing I made him do immediately when he got to my house was play Out Zone. .
I want to be your friend too

RobHimself

Post by RobHimself »

So if there exists different romsets for Out Zone, how do you know which MAME ROM comes closest to the original PCB?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

They posted patch notes for the first update:

https://www.bitwavegames.com/news/all-y ... -zero-wing
BEAMLORD

Post by BEAMLORD »

Well, that new Zero Wing intro was worth the effort :|
Steven

Post by Steven »

Well, they definitely added at least one thing that I asked them for, which was to be able to reset the game from the menu.

Time to go test to see what all is different now.

Well, they added the intro as a menu option. Alright, I can live with that. They also redid all of the non-CATS lines properly, but CATS still has his weird speech, mostly. It says TRANSLATION ERROR on the screen before CATS shows up, so I guess that's the explanation for his weirdness. They also added in the line that was removed in the PAL MD version, and the typo in the Japanese version is still there. I think I'm okay with this, but my single favourite line in the meme opening was actually the captain's "WHAT YOU SAY!!", which is now gone, but I think I will live with him being lost in the sauce with CATS' weird lines due to the Universal Translator™ being broken. They also radically changed (simplified, really, but it's pretty different) a Japanese line, now that I look at it again. How odd.

Out Zone music is now really weird. They put the real music in for the "normal" version, which is good, and it sounds mostly okay, but the music in the hard version is still fucked. Sound effects are still broken in both. Normal version is still the prototype, though.

Things I noticed that is not in the patch notes: Kyuukyokyu Tiger/Twin Cobra now seems to remember which game you played last, and some of the games now remember if you disabled the border in fullscreen, but some seem to not remember. They still don't remember if you were actually using fullscreen, though.
Leandro wrote:
Steven wrote:Great. I hope it's good.

One of my friends, who I have not seen in almost a decade, stopped by yesterday and the first thing I made him do immediately when he got to my house was play Out Zone. .
I want to be your friend too

lol most people find me to be a very boring person.
Last edited by Steven on Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Is "changed music order for Out Zone" a roundabout way of saying they're using the right ROM now, or have they literally gone in and changed the track order?

Edit: sorry Steven, just saw your notes on that. Damn!
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steven

Post by Steven »

It's still the same weird version. They just made the correct music play on the proper stages.

Fuck, I hope that doesn't mean they really are seriously committed to using this shitty incomplete beta version of the game.
MJR

Post by MJR »

So they didn't give a damn about numerous complaints about the rom version.

To me this does not sound like the kind of attitude that they are listening to the players. I don't think I want to be supporting these versions any more.

Well, that's it guys, you had your chance to prove you know what you're doing.

I have requested for refund.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote:It says TRANSLATION ERROR on the screen before CATS shows up, so I guess that's the explanation for his weirdness.
my single favourite line in the meme opening was actually the captain's "WHAT YOU SAY!!", which is now gone
Jesus fuck. :lol:

MJR

Post by MJR »

Seriously, forget Bitwave. Wait for the M2 release.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Get Mihara to fix it! :lol:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Udderdude wrote:Get Mihara to fix it! :lol:
:lol: Image
Steven

Post by Steven »

MJR wrote:I have requested for refund.
WHAT YOU SAY!!
Spoiler
Yeah, I don't blame you. It's frustrating and saddening. I'm past the 14 day limit, so I can't refund, but since I have these games I might as well continue to send them bug reports to see if I can help them. I care about these games way too much to leave them like this.
BIL wrote:Jesus fuck. :lol:

A very apt comparison. In other words,

You know what you doing!
Spoiler
Actually, I kind of like how they've done it here with the non-CATS lines being properly translated. Yes, some of my favourite lines are now gone, but I feel like this is an appropriate way to do this while still keeping AYB fans happy. I could critique the new art for not really matching the game's style at all, but ultimately I see it as a bit of a tribute and not something that really impacts anything.
Last edited by Steven on Thu Mar 02, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Steven wrote:You know what you doing!
drauch

Post by drauch »

Rastan78 wrote:They posted patch notes for the first update:

Cats looks like one of those fuckin' Troll dolls now.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Steven

Post by Steven »

Udderdude wrote:Get Mihara to fix it! :lol:
lol
drauch wrote:

Cats looks like one of those fuckin' Troll dolls now.

.............................................I think I might eventually be able to unsee this.

In the meantime, since CATS is back, here is some official CATS artwork that was made by the original creator of CATS this year. This is from a few months ago, but in case someone missed it the first time: https://twitter.com/TATSUJIN_Games/stat ... 2104197121

Actually, the more I watch the new intro the more I like it. WHAT HAPPEN is kind of still there (I see what you did with that, Bitwave~), and FOR GREAT JUSTICE is still there, but I think I actually like this new intro.
BIL

Post by BIL »

drauch wrote:Cats looks like one of those fuckin' Troll dolls now.
I hadn't actually looked, before.

He looks like he's been sucking on a dick just to get a buck or two :shock:
Steven wrote:here is some official CATS artwork that was made by the original creator of CATS this year. This is from a few months ago, but in case someone missed it the first time: https://twitter.com/TATSUJIN_Games/stat ... 2104197121
Oh thank God, I needed that. Image
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The Amiga port of Zero Wing is lookin' good!
Manualmartin

Post by Manualmartin »

MJR wrote:To me this does not sound like the kind of attitude that they are listening to the players. I don't think I want to be supporting these versions any more.
It’s been 2.5 weeks since the release. Note the patch notes says:
“We'll continue to add improvements, fixes, and features in the future, so please stay tuned for more!”
So there will be more.