PsychoGun
Banned User

Re: Custom Sticks Thread!!

Post by PsychoGun »

bigger, badder, better. :mrgreen:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Got myself a cheap HORI Tekken 6 (wireless) 360 stick/game/book bundle and it's now modded to completion (just about).

Inside shot:

The HORI sticks use a PCB for their crappy buttons (in their cheaper sticks) which unfortunately for anyone who wants to mod these means: hole widening, wire extending and crimping/soldering. The joystick HORI makes aren't as dreamy as the arcade standards I'm used to, so that meant A: REALLY time consuming modding, or a B: "quick fix". I went with option B.

You drill (by hand) four holes in a SANWA JLF gate and put it in place using the HORI screws. I also changed those loosey goosey switches for the ones' found in Seimitsu LS-32. The new spring is from an LS-32 that I pulled on 'til it grew twice it's length.

I only want 4 buttons, and buttons plugs seems to intrusive (I like my artwork too much) so I just put the artwork over the holes. The overlay is printed by GameOnGraphics, and although not as thick as the HORI sticker, it's very durable.

To cut my new artwork for size, I used the Tekken 6 artwork as a guide. It had glue residue still, so it stayed in place well on top of my new overlay. I got a bit over-confident though, and screwed up the sync-button hole as well as that corner slightly.

I had lots of success with the button "fillings" though:

"You mess with me you get the horns":

The orange 24 mm Seimitsu's turned out really nice as well:

Another shot:

As I fit the artwork to a nice stick opening spot, I always wanted it in the curve of the Guwange logo, and that went very well. Inspired by the button fillings, I saved the stick cutout piece and put it around the shaft, covering the stick assembly. Looks very nice, especially thanks to one of Franco's washers and won't interfere at all with the mechanics of the joystick:

I got an extra overlay, so if I get bored I will make a better cutting job and switch out this botched attempt.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Love the sticks here!

Want to contribute a few myself... I got sucked into Stick-greatness last year, with street fighter IV... (well, actually a little bit before, when I built my own mame-cab...)

But enough talk, here are the pics:

My first try at a mod. A hori fighting stick ex 2 for xbox, swapped the buttons to sanwa, left the stick hori-stock (this stick is a pain in the ass to swap...):

After modding a stick, I wanted to build one myself from scratch. Well, I did. Here's my xbox 360 stick, all Sanwa, fully self-made:

After this one, my hunger for joystick was still not satisfied. (My, this sounds sooo wrong...) So I got myself a nice custom made case from a talented stickbuilder called ecksine, put a sanwa stick and seimitsu buttons in it and a PS3 pcb... Et voilà:

And last but not least, here's also a pic of my cab... And I know, it's lousy, it doesnt even have a coin door...:

I recently got a hrap 3 for ps3. I swapped the buttons for sanwa there...

And the stick-fever has gotten me again, now that I rediscovered shmups and experiencing em with a good stick... I just ordered a hrap3 for the box... :oops:

Btw., you can find many more pics of the sticks and their making here.
Truth - Compassion - Tolerance
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

I've been waiting so long and now the time has finally come for me to post my sticks.

On the left is a HRAP 2 with Seimitsu LS-32, 6 Sanwa snap-ins and 2 button plugs (this stick arrived on friday).

On the right is a HRAP EX SE with a stock LS-32, 6 Seimitsu screw-ins and 2 snap-ins (I just got this today).

I bought both sticks from Shoryuken forum members.
gum_drops

Post by gum_drops »

Here is my first attempt at a custom stick I finished a few weeks back.

Its about the size of an AES, but weighs 6 lbs. The top is powdercoated 16 gauge steel with a wood backing, feels rock solid. The box is stained and finished oak.

Its been great so far, big improvement over the stock Neo Geo controllers for the home system. I forgot to round the edges on the box before staining/finishing it though : /

Matskat

Post by Matskat »

Hello Kitty!

J L F
6xSeimitsu 30mm
3xSeimitsu 24mm
RJ-45
White Feet

Cellphone pics for now. :)
It's a present for my ninja kid...
Not wired up either, my kid is 2 she just acts like she's playing :)

Pics:

Last edited by Matskat on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat$kaT
http://matskatcustoms.wordpress.com
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32709
"This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done."
drauch

Post by drauch »

That's a pretty beastly stick for a 2 year old! Really liked your custom the other day at the ol' shmupmeet as well!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Matskat

Post by Matskat »

drauch wrote:That's a pretty beastly stick for a 2 year old! Really liked your custom the other day at the ol' shmupmeet as well!
Thanks man!

I figure in a year or two, when she can grasp games better I'll get around to wiring it all up :)
Mat$kaT
http://matskatcustoms.wordpress.com
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=32709
"This is not similation. Get ready to destoroy the enemy. Target for the weak points of f**kin' machine. Do your best you have ever done."
RVTK2DX

Post by RVTK2DX »

Last edited by RVTK2DX on Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Matskat wrote:
drauch wrote:That's a pretty beastly stick for a 2 year old! Really liked your custom the other day at the ol' shmupmeet as well!
Thanks man!

I figure in a year or two, when she can grasp games better I'll get around to wiring it all up :)
I'll bet she'll be the first kid to beat mushihimesama futari 1.5 - ultra on 1 life... at the age of 6! :D

And good job, I'm impressed, really beautiful piece of work.
syn13

Post by syn13 »

Wow, went through a number of pages here and there is a crazy variety of sticks be it custom or big company types!! New member here, been a fan of shmups but got back in the home gaming fighters and shmups only recently and have had my Qanba RAF3 completely dual modded(had to rip out the original PCB and lost the wireless play ability) and parts swapped including my template.

Qanba Real Arcade Fighting stick 3
-Wood body - Dual modded for 360 & PS3 - Seimitsu LS-56 with octagonal gate - Sanwa Black/Blue buttons - Sanwa Mesh blue ball top-
Another angle:

I just sold my Hori Real Arcade Pro V3 and ordered the RAP VLX Premium for my Xbox 360(for mic jack) so I'll have this beauty next week when my friend comes up from the states.
1. Dual Modded Qanba Q3 RAF with Seimitsu LS-56/Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons
2. Dual Modded Hori Real Arcade Pro Premium EX VLX with Seimitsu LS-56/Seimitsu PS-14-KN buttons
kevkevkevkev

Post by kevkevkevkev »

can someone sell me a nice custom stick? :(

i have no knowledge of modding. i assume you need to solder?
syn13

Post by syn13 »

kevkevkevkev wrote:can someone sell me a nice custom stick? :(

i have no knowledge of modding. i assume you need to solder?
Madcatz SE and TE sticks do not require any soldering at all actually, just unscrew the bottom panel and pull the cables off(quick disconnects) and replace with preferred parts. The new Hori Real Arcade Pro V series are the same as well unless you want to dual modded stick but that doesn't come standard even for custom made stick.
2. Dual Modded Hori Real Arcade Pro Premium EX VLX with Seimitsu LS-56/Seimitsu PS-14-KN buttons
JUTMAN22

Post by JUTMAN22 »

Huzzahhh!!!!

I managed to get one of these bad boys to the U.K(!) whilst taking full benefit of the 'black Friday sale' from Amazon.com in the USA. All in all including shipping, I paid £200 not bad really considering they retail in the US @ $299 and Japan @ 30,000yen.

Huuuuuuge thanks to Shmups11 member MeshControl whom without his help I would not have been able to get this stick .... thanks again bro!!!

Oh, and I put one of my custom stick builds in the background of the picture to make this post (kinda) relevant to the thread! :P

Yipeeeee!

StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Awesome - by the time I knew they were on sale, the 360 version was all gone.

I see you've got blanks in there, despite the huge "HORI DOES NOT RECOMMEND CUSTOMIZATION" on the outer box. Nice =p
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

It's just a shame that the black is painted so can rub off as seen on SRK..
JUTMAN22

Post by JUTMAN22 »

True, I have spoken with me ol'pal B15 and he will spray if required as I am shite at painting :S
syn13

Post by syn13 »

speedlolita wrote:It's just a shame that the black is painted so can rub off as seen on SRK..
You mean "as seen on SRK from only one reported defect whereas the many owners in the VLX thread has not reported such a problem yet".
One thing I don't like so far is the fact that I live in Canada and around this time of season, the metal plate is extremely cold within the first ten minutes of play.

Voided my warranty withing 5 minutes of receiving mine:
-Seimitsu LS-56(with octagonal gate) fits in perfectly, my custom stick was fitted for a specific mounting plate for the JLF so only two screws held the stick on in my other stick. For some reason, the VLX comes with two dust covers, once you remove the stock JLF, there a slightly greased dust cover in between the metal plate and the stick.
-Decided to go with only 6 face buttons since it came with the plugs, had a fun time labeling each QD so that I can get the default button layout rather than using M$' odd layout.

I forgot how much I don't like Sanwa's JLF stick and how spongy it felt, while I wait for a second LS-56, my buddy is gonna do the spring mod on the JLF for now.
JUTMAN22

Post by JUTMAN22 »

syn13 wrote:
speedlolita wrote:It's just a shame that the black is painted so can rub off as seen on SRK..
You mean "as seen on SRK from only one reported defect whereas the many owners in the VLX thread has not reported such a problem yet".
One thing I don't like so far is the fact that I live in Canada and around this time of season, the metal plate is extremely cold within the first ten minutes of play.

Voided my warranty withing 5 minutes of receiving mine:
I think your colour scheme is poor, the Blue clashes with the red of course IMHO (I assume you had those buttons as spares??)
syn13

Post by syn13 »

Had it been any other choice, my ball top and buttons would still be contrasting colors on the VLX because I don't generally like the colour red. :D
Astro City's Pink and Green buttons/ball tops FTW!
Drachenherz

Post by Drachenherz »

Finally got round to finish modding my HRAP3 for PC/PS3. As EspRa.De. is my main game right now (and I guess the next couple of months *gg*), I wanted to have some corresponding art on my stick. Here's the result, hope you like the mod:

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

That looks lovely, Drachenherz!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

Drachenherz wrote: Image
That is awesome
chempop

Post by chempop »

Drachenherz, your ESPrade stick came out awesome!

I need to learn how to mod sticks, never used a soldering iron before though :oops:
Is SRK forum the best place for tutorials on getting started?
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

So after a whole bunch of reading and then practicing soldering on my HRAP2 PCB I decided I was confident enough in my abilities to solder the 8 connections of the RJ45 screw-in terminal to my MC Cthulhu. After burning myself a couple of times I managed to finish soldering it together (I forgot to take a pic, it actually soldered really well) and then wire everything up.

Everything you see asides from the case and the custom RJ45 cables (from NiteWalker on SRK) was ordered from Lizard Lick.
Seimitsu LS-32 joystick
green Sanwa Meshball
8 green Seimitsu PS-14-KN 30mm buttons
2 green Seimitsu PS-14-DNK 24mm buttons
1 black Seimitsu PS-14-DNC 24 button
black Tek-Innovations Arrow Dustwasher
Everything's wired to the awesome MC Cthulhu

Top view:

Back of the case, and yes I know that I put the Home button and Neutrik passthrough on the wrong sides. I had dremeled the wrong hole and didn't realize until it was to late, doesn't really matter anyways. The hole saw bits I was able to find and buy locally only came in 22mm and 25mm sizes so I used the 22mm.

Here's a pic of my "clean and professional" wiring: I know the 1 orange wire is loose, I screwed it back in after I took the pic

And finally a before picture:

I will be painting the case and getting some custom artwork once Spring comes around. Damn long-ass cold Canadian winters. I also plan on wiring this up to a pad hacked Madcatz Retro pcb and IMP once I feel confident enough in my soldering skills.
speedlolita

Post by speedlolita »

Works on every console ever kinda.

MC Cthulhu + 360 PCB dual mod.
syn13

Post by syn13 »

YUI! That's a TE stick right speedlolita? Very clean but does covering up the cluster on the upper left bother you whenever you play games? There are a lotta hardcore dual mods in this thread! Unfortunately I haven't the moneys at the moment to dual mod my VLX but I do have a surprise to those VLX purists out there(yes, I ruined my $300 stick):
Just had to do it, I was never fond of having the same looking item as the next guy so I went ahead and made my own template for the VLX and then printed on high quality vinyl for $25. The Mesh Blue ball top and black/blue Sanwa buttons are going, in place will be a Mesh Black ball top with black/yellow Seimitsu buttons. The template came out 98% perfect except for the start button placement as seen in my Test Template here.

Not sure if NSFW but here's my dual modded Qanba Q3 with a redone graphic(I forgot to laminate the last one):

Currently awaiting my second Seimitsu LS-56 stick...had I known I was going to mod the look of my VLX, would have ordered the rest of the parts needed.
Sparda

Post by Sparda »

i want to mod my Agetec Dreamcast full Seimitsu, but for my project, i need black/white pushbuttons, whats the difference between PS14 G and PS14 KN , since the KN seems to be the most common buttons used actually (except the Sanwa OBSF 30)