BATTLE GAREGGA REV.2016 (M2)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
SMC

Re: BATTLE GAREGGA REV.2016 (M2)

Post by SMC »

Last edited by SMC on Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Not a fan of forced HD updates on graphics created for a low-res display, but I'll have to agree with all of Illyrian's points. As much as the rank is an integral part of the game, it would be nice to have a no-rank option to play it as a plain common shoot'em up without alienating everyone who hasn't read a thorough guide to the game.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

It wouldn't hurt if they could make some of those bullets a lot easier to see.

One reason why I got rid of my copy of Garegga for the Saturn was because it was I found it too hard to see at times. Of course the bigger reason was because I just sucked at the game lol
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Sorry but wut?
Garegga has the best pixel art of any shooting game ever.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Eaglet wrote:Sorry but wut?
Garegga has the best pixel art of any shooting game ever.
Did you actually read my post?

Compare how it looks to pixel art games from the last 5 years. You can update the graphics while keeping the feel the same.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Illyrian wrote: Did you actually read my post?

Compare how it looks to pixel art games from the last 5 years. You can update the graphics while keeping the feel the same.
Yeah i did and agree with most of your points when it comes to western reviewers since they usually don't know anything at all.

Again, in terms of shooting games i haven't seen anything that matches Garegga in terms of animation, detail or a e s t h e t i c s.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Eaglet wrote:
Illyrian wrote: Did you actually read my post?

Yeah i did and agree with most of your points when it comes to western reviewers since they usually don't know anything at all.

Again, in terms of shooting games i haven't seen anything that matches Garegga in terms of animation, detail or a e s t h e t i c s.
The graphics and aesthetics by today's standard look like crap:
1. Low res, cheap looking explosions
2. Tacky looking tokens and medals
3. Regarding the music, it is simply low bitrate. This is completely understandable for the time when you need to fit everything on a PCB but again they need to update this, raise the bitrate etc. for today. They don't need to change the notes or the songs themselves but for sure increase the sound quality
4. The more visible bullets thing isn't something I personally need but there would probably be complaints about this so they need to make the bullets brighter/clearer so they are easier to see.

Again, I will say that none of these changes are necessary for me personally to want the game, but if you want any casual gamer to buy it I consider these pretty much essential quality of life changes.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Sumez wrote:Not a fan of forced HD updates on graphics created for a low-res display, but I'll have to agree with all of Illyrian's points. As much as the rank is an integral part of the game, it would be nice to have a no-rank option to play it as a plain common shoot'em up without alienating everyone who hasn't read a thorough guide to the game.
It's not very complicated to keep the rank reasonably low.
Illyrian wrote:They could at least give the graphics a HD update.

Unfortunately this will probably only sell less than 5k copies world wide due to it's complexity as a shmup and the bollocks 1996 graphics. For the record I think Garegga looks fine as a shmup from the 90's but these days people expect more. Even new pixel art games are much more complex graphics wise than old games.
I agree for the hard-to-see bullets, but what 'new pixel art games' are you talking about ? pretty much anything post-2000 is significantly inferior pixel art-wise.
Don't be fooled by all those modern 2.5D games full of vector engines and photoshop-like effects, they're much less work and details than the old Toaplan or Irem 'schools' of graphics to only name a couple obvious ones.
Sure modern pseudo-2D can look awesome, it fits high resolution displays. But more complex ? I don't think so.

PS: this is why giving a 'HD update' to real pixel art is so hard and costly; beause it means redrawing already very complex and detailed graphics, few dev studios have the means to do it for real.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Illyrian wrote:
Eaglet wrote:
Illyrian wrote: Again, I will say that none of these changes are necessary for me personally to want the game, but if you want any casual gamer to buy it I consider these pretty much essential quality of life changes.
I can not foresee how any casual, modern gamer would have any interest in Battle-garegga either way and to be honest for Shmups generally.
Budget wise I doubt that they have enough cash to re-do the graphics but you never know they could offer it as an add-on given later if they feel the market is worth taking a risk on.

Being able to see what is going would help a lot for BG and ibara, I agree with the sentiment here :)
More Bromances = safer people
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Shelcoof wrote:It wouldn't hurt if they could make some of those bullets a lot easier to see.

One reason why I got rid of my copy of Garegga for the Saturn was because it was I found it too hard to see at times. Of course the bigger reason was because I just sucked at the game lol

Didn't the Saturn version (optionally?) replace the original bullets with brightly colored bullets to eliminate this complaint?

Anyway, I think the new UI will be popular with things like YouTube where it will be easier to explain the game's mechanics to viewers, and stage scores are always nice to see.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

MR_Soren wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:It wouldn't hurt if they could make some of those bullets a lot easier to see.

Didn't the Saturn version (optionally?) replace the original bullets with brightly colored bullets to eliminate this complaint?
Hi,

I don't think so but the Saturn version had lots of nice extras that are worth having all the same.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes, it did.
phase3

Post by phase3 »

MintyTheCat wrote:
MR_Soren wrote:

Hi,

I don't think so but the Saturn version had lots of nice extras that are worth having all the same.
Redball mode on the saturn changes some of the bullets into, wait for it, red balls. Not all of them, however.
WarpZone

Post by WarpZone »

Yeah, redball helps but isn't a comprehensive fix. It doesn't seem clear if this version will even include redball.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

WarpZone wrote:Yeah, redball helps but isn't a comprehensive fix. It doesn't seem clear if this version will even include redball.
Sorry, you reminded me - I am getting old :)
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

If M2 had millions to spare they'd probably make a 4K 3D black label arrange, crafted by YGW himself (on acid), with a soundtrack remixed by Goblin, the premium package would also probably include a new kind of Trance Vibrator or something.

But this release is clearly a little gift to please - should I say 'say thank you' - to the niche and make a little profit, no way it's gonna be of any interest to anyone but the tiny, scattered and aging, shmups crowd.

So we can't expect nor demand incredible things, that HUD is already a lot.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Fudoh wrote:
yes, it did.
I still found the bullets quit hard to see... especially with all the explosions and particle effects.
Maybe I'm just use to those bright Cave bullets lol
TastySoil

Post by TastySoil »

I've read through a bunch of this thread and didn't see this question asked, so sorry if it's already been answered...

I have a US PS4 system w/ a US PSN account. Will I still be able to get this? A friend said that it will work on my US PSN account if I grab the Special Edition w/ download card. I just want to confirm what my options are. Thanks for the info!
rtw

Post by rtw »

If you want brightly coloured bullets try: bgareggacn
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

rtw wrote:If you want brightly coloured bullets try: bgareggacn
I'll check it out :)
I'm sure I'll still suck hard at the game lol
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Wasn't there a hacked rom or build showing a rank bar during gameplay ?
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

TastySoil wrote:I've read through a bunch of this thread and didn't see this question asked, so sorry if it's already been answered...

I have a US PS4 system w/ a US PSN account. Will I still be able to get this? A friend said that it will work on my US PSN account if I grab the Special Edition w/ download card. I just want to confirm what my options are. Thanks for the info!
it looks like there's a possibility that it might release in more regions than just JPN, but if you buy the special edition you will most likely have to redeem it using a JPN PSN account. same goes for if you want the game on release (unless they announced the game is releasing worldwide simultaneously).
a creature... half solid half gas
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

You would need a Japanese PSN account to redeem the Japanese download code, but they're very easy to set up for free, and once you've got the game downloaded, you can still play it from your main US account.

It's also true that they seem to be hinting about an overseas release, but no confirmation on that just yet.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

We can always hope someone cool who really wants to make a physical release picks it up for the overseas release :) Someone like Rising Star Games, Atlus or XSeed, or whatever they all are called.
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

limited run games would probably be a best bet :o
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

LRG release their games like 5 years after the title originally came out :P
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Get these bright bullets out of my Garegga
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

Sumez wrote:LRG release their games like 5 years after the title originally came out :P
they inquired about wild guns right away and outed the info on a physical release tho!
ArmoredCore

Post by ArmoredCore »

Can't wait. 8700 yen for soundtrack though :evil:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Some-Mist wrote:
Sumez wrote:LRG release their games like 5 years after the title originally came out :P
they inquired about wild guns right away and outed the info on a physical release tho!
WAIT! LRG are releasing Wild Guns? Where did you pick up this info? I need to be ready when the preorder starts. This is big news.