NESRGB New Firmware Palette Updates:

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
FinalBaton

Re: NESRGB New Firmware Palette Updates:

Post by FinalBaton »

blizzz wrote:Calling one palette more authentic than another, when they only have tiny differences, doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I don't think people have been uttering the word "authentic" on the previous page. "Prefered" is what you'll see mentionned.

Otherwise I don't disagree with the rest of your post
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

FinalBaton wrote:Besides, the "close to original" palettes, like NESCAP and Nostalgia, only serve a part of the market. Other people will want a more vibrant palette.
Also : there as been like 3 people saying that. 3 people. it's not a big chunk of the market there.
This is key! Some like me are using CRTs and only want as close to composite no matter how dim or off-color it looks since the screen will make up for it. For instance, the SMB sky on my CRT with Unsaturated v6 appears how I always remembered it with little to no purple. I still find some of the colors a bit too hot though which is what makes me lean towards NESCAP. That said, others are using flatscreens, and of course they don't want a dim image with colors they don't remember, which I think begs the case for a legit CRT-styled palette. So rethinking my previous statement, my ultimate imaginary firmware would be:

- PC-10
- Composite (as accurate as possible to original signal, no voting, no customizing, purely based on science)
- Vibrant (emulates CRT colors that everyone remembers for LCDs, everyone can vote for a consensual representation if they want)

FBX, don't give up man, you're doing awesome work! It just seems people's expectations are all over the place right now. Ultimately this is your project, and you should be having fun with it, so do what you want. If myself or others disagree with the direction it goes we can just try and get an alternative firmware done for our needs.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

I think another problem is there are too many palettes to choose from and it's getting confusing. All of them are very similar as you can tell by the screenshot comparisons. I say just stick to two and that's it. You are creating more stress for yourself then needs to be by creating several palettes and trying to please everyone. As you can tell alot of people want a pure capture composite palette. Even though it may look darker and not as good as the other more vibrant palettes, this is what we grew up playing and remember most.

As for the second I say we vote on that.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
FBX

Post by FBX »

My apologies for getting upset the other night. Bad bout of depression followed by a little too much to drink.

Anyway, using raw screen dumps did the trick, and my sample results of the NES Classic palette ended up being almost identical to RGBSource's. There's a very slight amount of variation, but I'm thinking that's unavoidable unless you have two of the exact same computers with the same hardware. Here's the side-by-side mock up (RGBS on the left, mine on the right):

And here's the download to the zip file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/NES ... c(FBX).zip
Tatsuya79

Post by Tatsuya79 »

Thanks! :)

That's really close. I think your own capture is better than this NES classic palette (it shifts to a colder rendering).
But better than the Wii virtual console for sure.
FBX

Post by FBX »

I've spent several hours re-calibrating Framemeister settings to match NESCAP. Turns out I had to turn pedestal back on and then adjust brightness up to 35 compensate. I then turned gamma completely off, and saturation down to 23. It's now looking almost indistinguishable from NESCAP. I'm going to get some sleep and then finish it when I get back up.
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

FBX wrote:I've spent several hours re-calibrating Framemeister settings to match NESCAP. Turns out I had to turn pedestal back on and then adjust brightness up to 35 compensate. I then turned gamma completely off, and saturation down to 23. It's now looking almost indistinguishable from NESCAP. I'm going to get some sleep and then finish it when I get back up.
Nice, looking forward to checking it out!
austin532

Post by austin532 »

FBX wrote:My apologies for getting upset the other night. Bad bout of depression followed by a little too much to drink.
That will get you nowhere in life, nowhere. If you are ever feeling down just know that we are here to help. Well at least most of us... I can't speak for some of the clowns on this forum.
Framemeister 240p scanline settings: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... start=9600
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

Don't let RGBSource get to you. He seems like a huge flamer with no insight on NES Palettes.
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

GeneraLight wrote:with no insight on NES Palettes.
That's a little much, don't you think?
Link83

Post by Link83 »

Glad your not giving up FBX :)
FBX wrote:I've spent several hours re-calibrating Framemeister settings to match NESCAP. Turns out I had to turn pedestal back on and then adjust brightness up to 35 compensate. I then turned gamma completely off, and saturation down to 23. It's now looking almost indistinguishable from NESCAP. I'm going to get some sleep and then finish it when I get back up.
Rather than tweaking all the Framemeister settings, might it be worth waiting for the new capture hardware you mentioned on your page so that you can capture directly from the Composite signal? Just thought it may help prevent confusion with too many palettes.

All I would really like to see in a future NESRGB update is:-
Accurate - Perfect direct capture of the original Composite signal (Nostalgia v2/Final?)
Improved - Brighter, more saturated palette with tweaks/improvements (Unsaturated-Final?)
Arcade - PlayChoice-10 (For the VS/PC-10 games)
Last edited by Link83 on Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

Ok so apparently I'm full of shit. I haven't had a lot of time to play with my NES since I got it flashed with Unsaturated v6, but I finally had some time tonight to sit down with it. I booted up Super Mario Bros since the purple sky is always controversial, and guess what? It's still purple-ish, even on a CRT. So this of course makes me question my whole previous statement of a "perfect RGB composite palette on a CRT is just like a real composite NES on a CRT".

To give some context, I have a non-modded NES hooked up via Composite to a different small 13" Sony CRT from 1986. The sky looks exactly as I remembered it: light blue, not too much unlike the FCEUX palette but even lighter and crisper. It got me wondering though, if the tubes are pretty accurate and it's not them, then is it actually in the conversion of the composite signal to the format the tube can display? From what I'm reading that's the case. Each TV will interpret the NTSC signal coming out of the NES a little differently, sometimes with large shifts in the hues. And unfortunately, the NTSC colorspace doesn't equally map to the RGB one, you can go way beyond it even. I believe all this is what's responsible for the wide range in our perception of what it should look like (the joke acronym for NTSC is "Never The Same Color" since each TV will interpret the colors differently). This page had some good info it, including a colorwheel showing the NES colors in NTSC colorspace.

So I guess if that's really the case, I may never be truly happy with an NESRGB. My un-modded NES is at my in-laws, but I'm going to try and get it back soon. I want to see it side-by-side with my Unsaturated v6 NESRGB on the same exact TV for the sake of science. Sorry if any/all of this is known or obvious to everyone already. I mean I understood that NES' graphics weren't based in RGB like all the other systems, but it never occurred to me that the colors defined in its palette can lie beyond what RGB could ever even display. (let alone what our TVs were doing to them)
FBX

Post by FBX »

Scrap the old nostalgia palette. Just finished the new calibrated Framemeister settings capture and it looks superb! Hues are virtually identical to NESCAP, and the only difference now is mine has a slightly wider dynamic brightness range, which actually looks quite nice in live action. However, for those wondering what this looks like side-by-side, here's the swatch comparison with Nostalgia-(FBX) on the right in each entry:

So please give it a try an see what you honestly think. Here's the link:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/Nostalgia-(FBX).zip

-FBX
FBX

Post by FBX »

Actually on 2nd look at dark games like Castlevania, I'm not entirely sure the dark entries look as kosher as I thought. Give me some time today to fidget with the color settings to see if I can't get that fixed. I'll post an update soon.
FBX

Post by FBX »

Okay finally got it nailed now. I recaptured the dark entries by themselves at one notch more saturation, then added those to the current palette. Now it's a Tostada:

New palette link:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/Nos ... (FBX)..zip
austin532

Post by austin532 »

Pretty damn close. Seems like the blues give the most trouble. Why are you trying to match NESCAP though? I know people like it but can we verify that his is 100%? I doubt it. Also just curious, would an RF capture be possible? Maybe that will please my pupils :roll:
FBX

Post by FBX »

austin532 wrote:Pretty damn close. Seems like the blues give the most trouble. Why are you trying to match NESCAP though? I know people like it but can we verify that his is 100%? I doubt it.
Probably we'll never know, but A: people kept claiming it looked better, and B: I wanted to see if it was even possible to capture the same results. The Framemeister has one hell of a lot of variables to contend with, but it's a testament to its capabilities that I was even able to get that close. Although it really couldn't be done without the Pedestal option. That's the only thing that swings the hues into alignment such that Castlevania's stage two bricks look accurate to original hardware.

At any rate, I uploaded all the current work and findings onto my project page:

http://www.firebrandx.com/nespalette.html

Though you will need to hit refresh on the browser to see the new update.
yxkalle

Post by yxkalle »

One thing you could do to increase accuracy would be to assure that the on-board oscillator runs as close as possible to NTSC color carrier frequency 3.57954 times 6 to ensure hues are correct.
blizzz

Post by blizzz »

nakedarthur wrote:This is key! Some like me are using CRTs and only want as close to composite no matter how dim or off-color it looks since the screen will make up for it. For instance, the SMB sky on my CRT with Unsaturated v6 appears how I always remembered it with little to no purple.
But do you actually play with low brightness and saturation on a CRT? I modified a screenshot to match what I see on my CRT when playing my AV Famicom in Composite.

Vs Nostalgia in an emulator:
Yamato

Post by Yamato »

Thanks for all your efforts, FBX!

I've been following this thread quite a while now. May I ask a question for my understanding?

I live in the PAL region. Yesterday I finally had the time to compare my RGB modded NES (original Natural palette, not updated yet) to my other unmodified Composite NES to see if there are any color differences. Both consoles were connected to a Sony BVM 20F1E.

To my surprise those bricks in Castlevania stage 2 were purple and not red with both Composite and RGB connections! I would have imagined them to be red after following this thread. (With the RGB modded NES the colors are overall just a bit "stronger" and more definied due to the RGB signal - again, I've tested it on a CRT).

So my question would be if this whole palette-update project might be adressed to NTSC regions only? (because of basic color differences between PAL and NTSC maybe?)

Thinking of it, which color palette is "Natural" anyway? Is there a corresponding palette name in emulators? Tim Worthington lives in Australia which is a PAL region too. Maybe he chosed a palette for Natural which resambles Composite PAL colors? This would explain why it looks overall right to my "PAL eyes" (like there are no differences in the Castlevania stage 2 background, see above. Also the Mario sky is right and so on).

Although I have to say that the Natural palette doesn't match all PAL composite colors in a few nuances. On my BVM the Metroid title screen ground looked more yellow/golden with Composite that the more "greenish" Natural palette. Also the first screen in Metroid was a bit too "cyan" with the Natural palette. With composite it was more blue. Although this may have to do with the Composite colors being more "mixed" on a CRT screen than with crystal clear separated RGB colors, I guess?

I can post some of my PAL comparison shots if needed.
FBX

Post by FBX »

blizzz wrote:
nakedarthur wrote:This is key! Some like me are using CRTs and only want as close to composite no matter how dim or off-color it looks since the screen will make up for it. For instance, the SMB sky on my CRT with Unsaturated v6 appears how I always remembered it with little to no purple.
But do you actually play with low brightness and saturation on a CRT? I modified a screenshot to match what I see on my CRT when playing my AV Famicom in Composite.

I realized years ago that trying to mimic CRT colors was an even worse lost cause. There are just too many variables, and no one CRT's color output will look the same compared to the next, much less how people perceive the color that glows from the screen. My goal from the beginning was to leave such subjective palettes for others to obsess over, whereas what comes out of the NES deck itself should in theory be a more approachable prospect. It's still a bit interpretive, but at least there's a general idea of what the color ranges fall into. With CRT guess work, everything is up in the air.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

blizzz wrote:But do you actually play with low brightness and saturation on a CRT?
yes. when playing on a good RGB CRT you certainly do. Games on there look a tad more vivid than on an LCD, which is why you want a more somber palette. A bright palette is overkill on a CRT.
Last edited by FinalBaton on Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

blizzz wrote:

Sorry, I was wrong, read my post just a little further down where I scratch my head in agony. Unsat v6 on my CRT looks much closer to the bottom one, not the top. I was thinking it was the tube itself making the difference, so if you input a perfect composite RGB palette into a CRT it would replicate something similar to the top shot. I still need to test with an unmodded NES on the same TV to confirm, but I think the magic is actually happening in the circuitry that converts the NTSC signal, with each device interpretting it differently (including Framemeister). So basically when you plug up a composite NES to a CRT, the guns aren't getting FBX's colors to draw on the screen, it's something different.
austin532

Post by austin532 »

That's what it would look like if the CRT was perfect. As we all know CRT's age and the red electron gun is usually the first to go.

Also, I wonder if the Top Loader has a slightly different palette. We know it can only do RF so the colors will definitely look different.
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

austin532 wrote:That's what it would look like if the CRT was perfect. As we all know CRT's age and the red electron gun is usually the first to go.

Also, I wonder if the Top Loader has a slightly different palette. We know it can only do RF so the colors will definitely look different.
It doesn't sound likely everyone's red gun would be gone just enough to remember a certain bright sky blue. And CRTs are known for their color accuracy, so it can't be the case that the tube can't display a common RGB color. More likely the NTSC decoder is shifting hues differently. Maybe it would be possible to tap into the composite signal after it's been decoded into RGB but before it reaches guns..
Last edited by nakedarthur on Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

Don't TVs in the USA have a hue setting? I haven't seen anyone talk about it yet. My euro Sony CRT and LCD TVs have a hue slider when I feed them NTSC composite. So I can make the SMB skycolor blue or purple.

Here are photos of my Sony CRT tv with US NES front loader:

Hue set to blueish.

Hue set to purplish
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

Hey I think you just may have confirmed what I'm rambling on about :D CRTs CAN show the ugly purple if they want, but it's being decoded differently.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

One of the Hue settings is correct though, use SMPTE color bars and a blue filter/blue gun only setting to check.

And I guess it should be reiterated for the billionth time that Miyamoto intended the sky to have a purplish color...
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
nakedarthur

Post by nakedarthur »

bobrocks95 wrote:One of the Hue settings is correct though, use SMPTE color bars and a blue filter/blue gun only setting to check.

And I guess it should be reiterated for the billionth time that Miyamoto intended the sky to have a purplish color...
I'm not saying the purple isn't correct in the authorial sense, but if others like myself experienced with the shifted hues, then that will always be correct to us. It just seems like everyone's been told their memory or equipment is faulty when that's not the case.
Last edited by nakedarthur on Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulb_nl

Post by paulb_nl »

The hue setting is actually a slider so I have granular control. For the photos I had it set to very blue and very purple. Normally its in the center and then the sky is slightly purple.