GamerGate - and it's continuing aftermath.

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Mischief Maker

Re: Pro Gamergate or Anti? Let it out there.

Post by Mischief Maker »

I think Gamergate is like the Hippie movement: a successful movement surrounded by such hyperbole that its victory gets lost in the frenzy. Just as the Hippie movement successfully managed to abolish the draft in the U.S. and make the reinstatement of it political poison, so too has the gamergate phenomenon lead to a new industry practice of listing any conflicts of interest when reviewing videogames.

Lots of other interests have latched on to try and advance their own agendas, I personally wanted to use it to advance some kind of quality standards in VG reviewing, but in the end they probably won't come to any fruition.

I agree that video games primarily cater to a male audience because that's a money-making demographic. I don't agree that videogames are inherently misogynistic, I say that they are inherently immature, in part because story isn't what's important to a game.

As I've said several times before, I don't think the games press gives special treatment to indie games because they advance a SJW agenda, they give preferential treatment to ART GAMES so their profession will be taken seriously. Does "Mountain" advance a SJW agenda?

I think the SJW "agenda" in mass media, things like the Daniel Tosh controversy, isn't an agenda at all. I view it the same as the Fatty Arbuckle trial in 1921: a prominent public figure getting crucified in the media over a bullshit accusation. The difference is in 1921 the number and speed of media outlets were a fraction of what we have now in the age of the internet, where millions of blogs clamber over each other like cockroaches on a pile of bat guano, scrabbling for SOMETHING to push themselves into prominence. People who stroke their beards and opine how left-leaning yellow journalism resembles right-leaning yellow journalism are missing the common denominator, here.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Satan
Banned User

Post by Satan »

Mischief Maker wrote: I agree that video games primarily cater to a male audience because that's a money-making demographic. I don't agree that videogames are inherently misogynistic, I say that they are inherently immature, in part because story isn't what's important to a game.
Totally agree. Also something which is often knowingly played up, especially in something like Metal Gear Solid which also features men shitting themselves, slipping in bird shit and enemies who urinate on your head.
"A bleeding heart welcomes the sharks."
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

BryanM wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:GamerGate is the only thing that has done anything to slow down SJWs completely winning.
Ash, let's review your accomplishments on this front this year. I have prepared this survey for you:

* Why do you hate complaining Single Jewish Women being allowed to live so goddamn much?

* Are you aware that I never, ever, ever, would have even heard about Sarkeesian if it wasn't for your efforts on this site?

* Are you aware that you've done a much better job spreading and selling her own message than her boring ass videos where she reads lists off of TVtropes ever could? If your goal was to silence the message of Single Jewish Women, you've done the exact opposite of that. They're not here. You are.

* What does this "winning" you're talking about even entail? Does it mean Sarkeesian commits suicide? Women everywhere have to wear burkas/stripper clothes? No one is allowed to talk about how a man punches a girl in the vagina at the start of Double Dragon and how that's used to establish the end boss as a coward? The only kinds of games being allowed to be made are murder simulators like Super Mario Brothers? What is this perfect utopia you're envisioning exactly, that requires videogames to accomplish?
Sarkeesian isn't the main issue with GamerGate. She's actually doing very well, as always.
However, GG have had a lot of accomplishments, that primarily revolves around gamer hating journalists removed from their lofty positions.

And she's not Jewish. She's Armenian.
And most people think Jonathan McIntosh is her "partner", so I don't think she's single.

And what do I want to happen to her? For people to figure out what she's actually doing, and quit giving her tons of cash, and spouting her garbage like it's gospel.
After that, she can do whatever she wants. I don't care what she's doing, I care that the games journalism industry is eating it up like ice cream, and acting like she's some kind of important figure.

I don't know what the hell you are talking about, with Utopias and whatnot. People should be able to make what they want.
JBC

Post by JBC »

It's pretty telling that a thread titled 'Girls' which asked the simple question of "Which kind do you like?" doesn't get locked, but outright suppressed on this very site.

Unless you are of the narrow mind to immediately associate your response to the question with sex or controversy, there's no particular reason to view the question as sexist or controversial. Women exist as multifaceted creatures, & it's natural for one to like or dislike them for various reasons. There are different kinds of women, with different traits one may view as pleasing or repellent. A topic as normal & commonplace as any other.

'Wine' "Which kind do you like?"
'Dancers' "Which kind do you like?"
'Birds' Which kind etc etc

But in today's climate to even acknowledge the existence of women is taboo on the shmups forum? In the end, this kind of censorship only serves to demonize both genders & widen the divide between them. Was it deleted to save face? An administrative decision fueled by paranoia? An accidental late night drunken click o' the 'X'? Perhaps a means to avoid controversy, but that begs the question of why this thread is allowed to exist.
Godzilla was an inside job
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Mischief Maker wrote:As I've said several times before, I don't think the games press gives special treatment to indie games because they advance a SJW agenda, they give preferential treatment to ART GAMES so their profession will be taken seriously. Does "Mountain" advance a SJW agenda?
I don't think that's right. It's natural for people to attempt to gain prestige, and it's natural to want to feel one's work has a larger purpose for society. Probably many gaming journos / features editors have some background in "traditional" journalism or art criticism, and even in art criticism there's a naturally ingrained tendency to try to make messages for good. There's not even anything inherently wrong with this.

One thing that is totally different about gaming journo is that it's not often clear whether the best approach is investigative journalism or criticism. Sometimes an article calls for both approaches at once, but the many facets of gaming means that the expertise of many writers is quickly spread thin.

There also tends not to be a clear recognition of the difference between an investigative piece and a straight op-ed.

And, of course, straight reporting of the issues (such as they are) is usually not too comprehensive either. Rarely, gaming sites read like real news - finance / trade journals (i.e., Wired / Forbes reporting on gaming), but often it's just the fluff of product announcements.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

8BA wrote:It's pretty telling that a thread titled 'Girls' which asked the simple question of "Which kind do you like?" doesn't get locked, but outright suppressed on this very site.
blatant shit threads always get outright deleted
JBC

Post by JBC »

It's a universal topic so explain how it's blatantly shit.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

What about that kid who wants to learn Japanese, make money fast, and wonders about Japanese games being in English? :lol:

Seriously though...I thought he was a troll.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Very good post from Deus Ex dev, who was attacked by the SJWs recently.

http://v8chan.com/thread/4446715/deus-ex-sjws-btfo.html
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

8BA wrote:It's a universal topic so explain how it's blatantly shit.
it's about the contents
louisg

Post by louisg »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Very good post from Deus Ex dev, who was attacked by the SJWs recently.

I saw that, dug around a little and it appears that it actually IS the dev. And I've gotta say, I'm unsurprised. Honestly, a lot of people who write these blogs complaining that everything isn't nice neat and politically correct wouldn't understand discrimination if it bit them in the butt. And they seem to always be trying to erase the race of people they disagree with, which is IMO pretty gross behavior that I have strong feelings about.
Humans, think about what you have done
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

louisg wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Very good post from Deus Ex dev, who was attacked by the SJWs recently.

I saw that, dug around a little and it appears that it actually IS the dev. And I've gotta say, I'm unsurprised. Honestly, a lot of people who write these blogs complaining that everything isn't nice neat and politically correct wouldn't understand discrimination if it bit them in the butt. And they seem to always be trying to erase the race of people they disagree with, which is IMO pretty gross behavior that I have strong feelings about.
They strike me as a bunch of people just sitting around waiting to be mad. They couldn't be more irritating, if they tried.

Also, they always try to act like they are empathetic, and whatnot...when they are some of the most heartless people I have ever come across. They will destroy people's careers and lives, and just be like "it's for the greater good", whatever it is that day.

Not good people.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Bananamatic wrote:
it's about the contents
So thorough, I'm sold. If only we could stretch the concept to blatantly shit users as well.
louisg

Post by louisg »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
louisg wrote:

They strike me as a bunch of people just sitting around waiting to be mad. They couldn't be more irritating, if they tried.

Also, they always try to act like they are empathetic, and whatnot...when they are some of the most heartless people I have ever come across. They will destroy people's careers and lives, and just be like "it's for the greater good", whatever it is that day.

Not good people.
I'm in agreement with you there. I don't want anything to do with the outrage factory. And I'm putting my money on some of those people flipping and becoming ultra-conservative by the time they hit midlife. True Believer syndrome.
Humans, think about what you have done
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

system11 wrote:I do.
They don't like to listen much. :lol:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

8BA wrote:
Bananamatic wrote:
it's about the contents
So thorough, I'm sold. If only we could stretch the concept to blatantly shit users as well.
if only : ^)
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

I'm neither pro, nor anti. Both sides are utterly littered with people that are so agenda-driven, jaded, hateful and disrespectful, that any possible positive outcomes are going to get buried under a complete lack of common courtesy and decency. You can't and won't make either side happy. And when both sides are going out of their way to treat people like shit both online and in real life, what's the incentive to pick a side?

I've got music to write, stories to write, visuals to make, and games to play. Ain't nobody got time to be hatin' like that.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

here's the real source:
http://www.reddit.com/r/KotakuInAction/ ... on/cs9d67r

Pretty good stuff, and I am agog that anybody would think that "mechanical apartheid" is a term being coined by racists or the oblivious, wtf?
BIL

Post by BIL »

To think Metal Black's first boss is named APARTHEID zomg how insensitive :oops: there are also books in the library about apartheid, burn the sick filth! :shock: Radiant Silvergun was wrong, there is not "life" everywhere - there is RACISM EVERYWHERE :[

Also, I knew I recognised those shades from somewhere!
Spoiler
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

BIL wrote:To think Metal Black's first boss is named APARTHEID zomg how insensitive :oops: there are also books in the library about apartheid, burn the sick filth! :shock: Radiant Silvergun was wrong, there is not "life" everywhere - there is RACISM EVERYWHERE :[

Also, I knew I recognised those shades from somewhere!
Spoiler
:lol:
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Strange that the people shitting on DX probably praised Bioshock Infinite, even though its message was ultimately that given their druthers slaves would be just as bad as the masters they were overthrowing.

I think the most toxic idea to modern discourse is that the truth always lies halfway between two opposing positions.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

That last guy's screen name seems pretty appropriate.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Well what was the point of your post, BryanM? The fact that awful people latched onto gamergate means the gaming press is exonerated for any wrongdoing? I mean those sure are horrible comments under that Youtube video, I wonder what kind of comments you see under any other Youtube video touching on politics, even if it doesn't have anything to do with video games?

What's more, Sarkeesian was never part of gamergate in the first place, she just inserted herself to leech off the free publicity. The reason people hate Sarkeesian is she's a Kickstarter con artist. Dunno what she spent that $158,922 on, but it sure as hell ain't on display in those videos.

evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Women get called cunts, men get called faggots. We'll get over it.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

though to be honest anita didn't ask for that much money, i dunno what the hell you're supposed to when your kickstarter gets overfunded by 20x the asked amount

not her fan either but people feeding her more and more money despite the kickstarter being long funded isn't really a valid criticism tbh
on the other hand it gives her even less of an excuse to not deliver the promised product in the specified time
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Bananamatic wrote:on the other hand it gives her even less of an excuse to not deliver the promised product in the specified time
I don't know what that timeline is like, but nobody's superhuman. A lot of Kickstarter users think that any Kickstarter should just magically scale up to expectation, with hired help and the like - nope, you're just giving somebody money because you like the milestones. So long as she delivers the promised milestones there's no problem.
evil_ash_xero wrote:Women get called cunts, men get called faggots.
By misbehaving manchildren and rotten teens, yes
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

from what I see on the kickstarter website the estimated date on the full DVD set delivery is december 2012 - it's 2015 and she released 5 episodes and 2 miniseries (out of 12+ planned videos)

All she has to do is play videogames, then talk about feminism for 25 minutes on the camera, how hard can it be and how the hell do you get so much money yet only release 6 videos in 3 years when there are people who make videos of such length (or even longer) weekly for free

I don't think she has to spend all that money on the project when she didn't ask for the majority of it, but if I got such huge support to get something done I'd make sure I put the work in to get it done in a reasonable amount of time
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I got it. It's too bad that this is one of the more visible Kickstarters while she doesn't deliver on that promise. Releasing a DVD set in 2012 - it sounds like she wasn't being realistic to start with, so all the other unrealistic people found her and poured money in. Match made in heaven :wink:

It does rankle me how many times people get uppity with their unrealistic expectations about Kickstarters - sorry for (almost?) lumping you in there.
BIL

Post by BIL »

One week on and not a peep about the Doom 4 chainsaw atrocity exhibition. I guess those hucksters really did ruse us. :[ Now there's nothing stopping id from delivering on the depravity-normalising carnage we all crave.