Castlevania Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
niall

Re: Castlevania Miscellanies

Post by niall »

What consoles do you guys recommend for Castlevania games?

I've only got an SNES so far, and I love precision platformers like SCIV, but I'm planning to pick up the AV Famicom and an N64 at some stage. Sounds like PCE and PS1/PS2 are a good idea too?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Well, the Wii has most of the best Castlevanias (1-4, ReBirth, Rondo of Blood) on Virtual Console. If you have a Wii, that's what I'd use.

I guess second place would go to the PS2, so you could play SOTN and Chronicles.

The only portable Castlevania I go back to is Order of Ecclesia, though some people out there are inexplicably fans of Portrait of Ruin. :oops:

I finally picked up a copy of Bloodlines myself for the Genesis. I haven't spent too much time with it, but it's really fun! I always feel a bit more comfortable with the slower-paced CV series than Konami's other fast-paced efforts like Contra.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

IMO Dawn of Sorrow is not only one of the best Metroidvania Castlevania's, but also one of the top Metroidvania's out there in general. All 3 of the DS Castlevania's are keepers though IMO.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
sojtrash

Post by sojtrash »

niall wrote:What consoles do you guys recommend for Castlevania games?

I've only got an SNES so far, and I love precision platformers like SCIV, but I'm planning to pick up the AV Famicom and an N64 at some stage. Sounds like PCE and PS1/PS2 are a good idea too?
Unless you're collecting physical copies of all the Castlevania games (like me), Wii & DS should have most of the good games covered except for Bloodlines on Genesis. You could also get a PSP to get Dracula X Chronicles, which includes original PCE-CD Rondo, and SotN.
Zorator

Post by Zorator »

On the Wii you can emulate a patched version of Rondo of Blood with WiiMednafen that has the new dub from the PSP version. Someone also made a patched inject for the virtual console version(which is normally in Japanese) but it has since become incredibly hard find online. And you can emulate Bloodlines with it's Genesis emulator, which runs really well(I think perfectly at this point).
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

sojtrash wrote:
niall wrote: You could also get a PSP to get Dracula X Chronicles, which includes original PCE-CD Rondo, and SotN.
Except that the screen is blurry as fuck and makes the former next to unplayable.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
sojtrash

Post by sojtrash »

Not super sharp, but playable for me.

Could be worse, I could be playing MoF
Leader Bee

Post by Leader Bee »

Any still picture is going to be kind to the psp. As soon as you start getting Richter to do anything but stay still and look pretty it turns muddy.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
BIL

Post by BIL »

niall wrote:What consoles do you guys recommend for Castlevania games?

For SOTN and earlier a Genesis/PS2/Wii setup will sort you out. The only traditional console CV you can't play then is Dracula XX, which is awful anyway. Genesis for Bloodlines/VK alone may seem excessive but it's easily as good as its SFC/PCE/X68k contemporaries with a uniquely fast-paced, destruction-fixated style, and the machine has dozens of other great action games besides.

If you're into sidescrolling action games a NES/FC is most definitely worth getting anyway. Perhaps the definitive console for that genre - Konami, Capcom, Sunsoft, Tecmo, Natsume and Irem's best stuff is still absolutely first rate. I always go for real hardware anyway, but even without CV1 and CV3 I'd have an FC.

I really like both of the N64 games. Their action sequences actually play very much like oldschool CV with perilous platforming and infernal pests, and they have neat downbeat atmospheres and great soundtracks. The first's opening stage is bland but it improves hugely afterward. My N64 is primarily a Sin & Punishment / EAD / Rare adaptor but them there Mokushirokus are welcome too!
Captain

Post by Captain »

Get a PC and with the proper monitor or gaiden screen (hehe see what I did there) and controllers, and start emulating everything like crazy.

Sorry if it seems too pirate-y but its only my opinion on Castlevania games, i can't say this for many others.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
niall

Post by niall »

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add MegaDrive to the list. I'm only pursuing real console hardware on CRTs, so 240p or 480p - I don't think the Wii or any handhelds will be a good fit for my setup.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Now we talkin' Image In that case PCE-CD is definitely a good addition - besides Rondo it has an excellent port of Ninja Spirit on HuCard, and lots of other cool stuff besides.
sojtrash

Post by sojtrash »

Well, if you're going PCE-CD...you're not just buying a console...you're making a lifestyle choice :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I prefer real NES myself, but the Wii (not Wii U) actually supports 240p for NES, SNES, NeoGeo, SMS, and Genesis games. However, TG-16 games lack 240p support.
GSK

Post by GSK »

Does the Wii U not do true 240p when in Wii BC mode? I know you can run Wii homebrew on Wii U via BC mode, so it might still be an option. (Con: it's Wii U)

EDIT: in answer to dude's question: if you can only pick one console, get a Famicom, or at a pinch, a NES. Three CV game (two good ones!) plus a bunch of similar and not-similar-but-still-awesome action games that isn't matched by the other consoles, IMO.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

GSK wrote:Does the Wii U not do true 240p when in Wii BC mode? I know you can run Wii homebrew on Wii U via BC mode, so it might still be an option. (Con: it's Wii U)

EDIT: in answer to dude's question: if you can only pick one console, get a Famicom, or at a pinch, a NES. Three CV game (two good ones!) plus a bunch of similar and not-similar-but-still-awesome action games that isn't matched by the other consoles, IMO.
Wii U definitely does not have 240p in Wii mode, not even when you set it to 480i. Not sure what the point is of mentioning "it's Wii U" as a con. Third party support isn't the best, but the BC is still good for Wii games and it still has some nice games like Super Mario 3D World.

I definitely recommend picking up a JP FC, though I feel both versions of CVIII are worth picking up.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Just pick up a famiclone and a US>JP adapter. Mine has NES and SNES, but I think they make one that also does genesis. I think there are some Japanese models that have a Disk System slot too?

I don't know that a real famicom is a great option for anyone, just because of the controller cords.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

CStarFlare wrote:I don't know that a real famicom is a great option for anyone, just because of the controller cords.
AV Famicom is better in every way. Same controller ports as the NES and looks much better, too.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Ghegs wrote:AV Famicom is better in every way. Same controller ports as the NES and looks much better, too.
Man, you best be joking :?

This:

isn't even in the same LEAGUE as this, when it comes to style.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

You're right, they aren't. The other has a pretty, minimalistic color palette and a sleek asymmetric design.

The other is the original Famicom.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
neorocker

Post by neorocker »

AV Fami master race! :lol:

I've been trawling through some 'Vanias recently and I think Dracula X on PCE and Bloodlines are my favorites. I rather like the SNES port of Dracula X as well, despite its missing content. It's just got a nice look and feel about it. It's fucking hard though! I've also come to realize i'm not too into the Metroidvania-type 'Vanias as much. I dig their atmosphere and how huge they are, but they aren't quite my thing like they used to be.

Honorable mention to ReBirth, I love it quite a bit. A nice marriage of oldschool design and newer tech. M2 really nailed this one, I think.

And I guess an honorable mention to Lament of Innocence as well, actually. Anybody else here like this one? I always thought it was a load of fun (if mildly frustrating) and the soundtrack has some killer tunes.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Original Fami has a classic style and the closest Nintendo came to a console that fit their 'toy' business model (definitely has that kids toy look), but I do think the AV Famicom has a really cool design. It's teeny too.

@neorocker, Snes Drac X isn't actually that tough. Get a handle on Richter's lead boots and it's fairly easy to crack through it in a sitting. Beating Dracula on the other hand, all bets are off.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

CIT

Post by CIT »

AV Famicom is the trve way, as it can be RGB-modded. Most Famiclones only offer AV, which is just…blergh...
BIL

Post by BIL »

neorocker wrote:And I guess an honorable mention to Lament of Innocence as well, actually. Anybody else here like this one? I always thought it was a load of fun (if mildly frustrating) and the soundtrack has some killer tunes.
I enjoy LOI for what it is, a first-rate 3D combat engine tethered to afterthought level design. Impeccably responsive 60fps action with fluid handling and fierce impacts. Nice shiny presentation with a no-fuss camera. Beautiful, darkly enveloping Yamane OST. It's a shame the environment is usually so vacant-feeling.

Still had a great dungeon crawl/beat 'em up time clearing out @crazy mode with no healing items. Or rather, almost clearing out - never quite managed to take down the optional Forgotten One this way, something I plan to correct.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

BIL wrote: Still had a great dungeon crawl/beat 'em up time clearing out @crazy mode with no healing items. Or rather, almost clearing out - never quite managed to take down the optional Forgotten One this way, something I plan to correct.
Is that why he's the forgotten one? ;) I still haven't picked up LoI since I heard mixed things, but I might pick it up since it sounds better than some of the other 3D Castlevanias.

I don't see a point in getting a Famiclone. As far as I know, most newer ones have compatibility issues. I'm guessing they aren't wired for special sound chips either.
neorocker

Post by neorocker »

BrianC wrote:I still haven't picked up LoI since I heard mixed things, but I might pick it up since it sounds better than some of the other 3D Castlevanias.
You can get it for under $10 at this point and it's worth every penny of that.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BrianC wrote:Is that why he's the forgotten one? ;)
No, you'll never forget his "BWAHHH" laser breath. Image Great optional superboss, quite a handful on @crazy (which should've been @default).
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Just 1cc'd Rondo of Blood, first port of call now my Duo is up and running.

It's a bit easy isn't it?

I thought Vampire Killer JP was easiest but now I'm not so sure (I never attempted to 1cc that one). I did Rondo's B route (the lower set), and I'll go high next time to try doing it the regular way and unlock Annette.

It's a fabulous game. The variety, small details, stage layout and secrets are all fantastically rich - and the audio is godly - but I'm surprised it's so tame all things considered. :idea:

BIL

Post by BIL »

Skykid wrote:I thought Vampire Killer JP was easiest but now I'm not so sure (I never attempted to 1cc that one).
VK isn't very tough even on Expert, but it's significantly harder on a credit since there are no score extends and it's relatively stingy with healing items. Bloodlines Expert 1CC is closer to a real challenge with its higher damage scale, but again, nothing too difficult.

The real challenge of oldschool Dracula is in no death runs anyway. ;3

Unless we're talking Castlevania III (not Akumajou Densetsu)'s second loop, which is genuinely balls-hard just to survive, especially on a Trevor-only run.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Well Drac X doles out far more extends than you need when you include all hidden ones dotted about the place. Don't get me wrong, it may have felt a little too quick to get the clear but it's a beautiful piece of work. I savoured it.

1LC? That's your bag BIL, I have other commitments! ;)

In truth I only picked up Rondo suddenly because Goku Mamaimura's 2nd loop is punishing me. It's such a long ordeal at each fresh attempt, I needed a break.