I DID IT! Share your latest 1CCs/other triumphs here...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
finisherr

Re: I DID IT

Post by finisherr »

Deca, what game is that?
Deca

Post by Deca »

Batrider, activated Gain's secret ship :p
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki
finisherr

Post by finisherr »

Never played batrider. Looks sweet though. I mean, you're shooting swords. That's sweet.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Ha, I never saw Gain's special ship. Good one.
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Batridfern ismteh shit rofllolz it' super goo WELCOME TO VIOLDNT CTY ROFL
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

finisherr wrote:Never played batrider. Looks sweet though. I mean, you're shooting swords. That's sweet.
Try Ibara, half the bullets fired at you are swords :twisted:
BIL

Post by BIL »

Or play Dragon Blaze, you can shoot swords, lances, maces and daggers, and Dragon Shot bosses in their shit so hard they fuck.
Deca

Post by Deca »

FINALLY. I've been trying to break 5mil forever. Thought I activated Sobut but he didn't come out after Blunt...I did manage to NMNB a VERY angry Blunt with Grasshopper so that made me feel pretty alright.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Nicely done Deca. :D

You going for Advanced next or have you pulled that one off already and I missed it? :P
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Deca:
You should switch Gain with Miyamoto or Car-Pet and Grasshopper with Flying Baron or Silver Sword if you want more of dem points.
Piercing is useless and loses you loads of points in Batrider.

Grats on breaking 5 though. :)
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Deca

Post by Deca »

Hmm, never realized grasshopper was still piercing in batrider. I mainly went with him for how useful his bomb is in st1, and Gain for getting st1 bosses missile pods if grasshopper happened to go down. I'll experiment with flying baron, his bomb should work alright as well and miyamoto is in and out of my team as well. Thanks for the advice!

I have a lot of improvement to be had via aura killing and bomb optimization in sewer, and should try to aura more of the beginning of airport. Also need to work on milking Deviate and getting those extra bosses out every time. Bashinet mk2 and Envy still make a mess of any run for me :(

Advanced is one of my long term goals but I haven't actively worked on it in a while, my best runs unsurprisingly end at Grubby. I've mainly been focused on dfk lately and was just playing this at work to improve what I already know. Once my laptop is replaced and I have a decent Mame setup at home I'll likely get back to working on it more seriously.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Deca wrote:Hmm, never realized grasshopper was still piercing in batrider. I mainly went with him for how useful his bomb is in st1,
I think his middle-most shot is piercing. From my experience i would say that Strawman's bomb is the most useful one on the first stage as you'll be able to hit a lot of cars and postboxes (or whatever the fuck they are) with it.
Deca wrote:I'll experiment with flying baron, his bomb should work alright as well
It's really good for medal increasing as you're invincible in Batrider when you bomb and the bomb shoots out from the back.
Go over a medal carrier, activate the bomb and put your sprite on the carrier for a trick similar to bombing the silos in Ibara Stage 2.
Deca wrote: Bashinet mk2
Hate this fuckin' guy.
I don't know what activates his forms but i've had runs where he just keeps shooting the green thingies and later on the item dropping missiles. Piss easy.
Other runs he keeps going full fuckin' retard and spams the blue grenades, green discs AND the medal dropping carriers all at once.
Fuckin' asshole.

On topic; I'm now in the LSWGS (Letter Score With Garegga Ship) society.
Feeling mighty fiiiiiine. 8)
Image Image
Deca

Post by Deca »

Definitely making progress, unfortunately I completely flushed this run in st3. Could have been my first 100m too :( Ended with like 87m in st4.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

While i wouldn't say "play for survival" i think the best approach for a game like DOJ is to try to chain and work out chains when you're playing, but not letting a fuck-up get you completely off your game (ending the credit too early etc.).
More play time means more familiarity with stage layout, enemy patterns and the game in general. When survival becomes easy (that is, frequently looping etc.) you've got one less worry on your mind and can focus fully on the chaining.
As Cagar says it's pretty much impossible to 1CC/Loop and not have 100 mil+.
A survival tip for stage 4 is to be as aggressive as possible on the lifts with the tanks and the crane-like cannons. Take shit out before it's able to spew out loads of bullets and trap you.

Oh yeah, good luck full chaining stage 3... :mrgreen:
Image Image
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I 1cc'd like 15 times and never got 100m
Deca

Post by Deca »

Died in st5 :T

And I dunno, before I started working on chaining I was getting killed at the 1-5 boss with like 70mil. I don't really see how it makes a difference whether I start working on chains before or after getting the clear. I know that if I played pure survival I would have several 1-alls taken care of by now, but who cares? Might as well work on it such that by the time I'm clearing consistently I'm also working toward a presentable score.

Working out chaining involves memorizing routes, having routes to follow helps with consistency. Learning survival routes and then relearning scoring routes kind of seems like a waste of time. Scoring is also considerably more enjoyable than just speedkilling large enemies and sitting at the bottom of the screen the rest of the time, the first two stages are pretty dull if you're not working on learning anything.

At any rate, what I need to do now is just drill st5 for a while because aside from the midbosses I really don't know that stage at all. It doesn't seem too bad with a strategy but just kind of flailing through it like an idiot isn't working quite as well as it does in DDP :P

EDIT: Rereading the last few posts makes me think I may have been misunderstood originally. When I say I blew my run in st3 I meant I had 2 completely unnecessary deaths, not I broke my chain or hypered too soon or something :lol: My approach to a run is currently going for st1 optimization, restarting if I don't at least get the first extend (which isn't too often, I broke 35m both credits I played today) and then chaining as much as I can of st2 while attempting to work out routes for a couple of the links I'm having trouble with. I never restart on st2 short of a death, and have been managing to make steady enough progress on my chains.

St3 I attempt to chain through the beginning but survival starts to take precedence, there are some waves of enemies in the beginning I don't have memorized yet but for the most part I have a decent survival route worked out. I try to look for and adjust to a scoring run where it's less risky but don't plan to savestate practice until the clear is taken care of.

St4 is largely survival play with a couple of the easier to chain sections focused on for score, haven't paid attention to chaining much here yet. St5 is all out survival, no idea what I'm doing there yet hence the need for some save state practice.
Last edited by Deca on Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Bananamatic:
Deca wrote: Working out chaining involves memorizing routes, having routes to follow helps with consistency. Learning survival routes and then relearning scoring routes kind of seems like a waste of time. Scoring is also considerably more enjoyable than just speedkilling large enemies and sitting at the bottom of the screen the rest of the time, the first two stages are pretty dull if you're not working on learning anything.
This is what i meant by always "trying" to chain.
Always strive to connect, but when you don't; don't reload a state/kill of your credit etc.
Besides, doing low-rank clears would be worthless survival practice for the real deal.
Image Image
Deca

Post by Deca »

Eaglet wrote: Always strive to connect, but when you don't; don't reload a state/kill of your credit etc.
Right, that's my approach for the most part. I restart if I break chain before the extend in st1 but otherwise I'm not letting scoring errors bother me too much. I edited my above post to this effect, I think my original post may have been slightly misunderstood.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

Well, I've 1-All'd DOJ 2 times and I didn't have to chain consistently. The only cave games that has MADE me learn and apply scoring consistently is Ketsui and Espgaluda.

My route on DOJ:

- save 5 hypers for the last part of stage 2, after the midboss, for Hyper chain of 1300 Hits (and 5 bees waiting) I get the first extend there.

- survive through stage 3 with no deaths.

- The second extend comes sometime on the middle of the 4rth stage.

- Use a hyper for the first Megacannon to cancel the bullets when you get too close.

- Not be raped on the 5th stage. Thank god hypers regenerate quickly on Black Label.

And that's all.

I do try to get all of the bees but I haven't memorized perfectly stage 3 and 5 locations yet...

About the stage 5, the pattern is almost allways the same on most of the stage: enemies spawn on one side and then they keep coming until the other side of the screen. Also, focus on killing with the laser the big guys, which are the ones that normally limit your movement, the others can be killed with normal shot.
Zengeku3
Banned User

Post by Zengeku3 »

Bananamatic wrote:I 1cc'd like 15 times and never got 100m
That is quite amazing. Do you bomb the 1-2 boss or something?
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Graphics should be the same in Shmupmame v3.0b as any of the other builds but make sure you try/switch between using DirectDraw or Direct3D. I've found that on some machines one is 'blurry' and the other isn't, while on others it's the reverse. Sound isn't the same though but it is damn quiet in Shmupmame.

As for scanlines, should be the same as most newer builds methinks. Look around for the graphics filters because the scanlines are in the same category as HQ2X and stuff if memory serves. Don't know why you're using 2.2 if v3.0b works for you though - the former is a bloody performance hog.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

The West needs another 2-ALL, Cagar. You can do it, in the name of the shmups forum!
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

I just checked, the high-score thread has one 2-ALL, too lazy to check which type though.

So, the mission starts now!
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

-
Last edited by Cagar on Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Randorama wrote:I just checked, the high-score thread has one 2-ALL, too lazy to check which type though.
DOJBL has multiple ship types?