New Sync Strike - Available Now!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Hamburglar

Re: New Sync Strike - Available Now!

Post by Hamburglar »

Fudoh wrote:Unless you use the Edge for DVDs, TV etc A LOT, you should definitely consider selling the Edge the getting a Mini instead. It's a day and night difference, really.
Arg. I don't even know how the Edge would improve TV or DVD, so I barely use it for that. Is there any place a person in the US can get the Edge for a decent price?

Edit: also, didn't you say the xrgb mini doesn't detect 240p stuff properly yet?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

No, I don't think so. I thought I made it pretty clear in my review, that there's nothing better for 240p than the Mini.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Fudoh wrote:No, I don't think so. I thought I made it pretty clear in my review, that there's nothing better for 240p than the Mini.
Sorry, I get pretty confused by you and fagin sometimes, my apologies. He had said something about it using 240p stuff. I guess I'm going to have to get this thing. If there's a recommended reseller, I'd love to know!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Solaris Japan (in stock) or NCS (on order).
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

This dude (mooseman, who is very knowledgeable and was a huge help with NES to RGB) says the XRGB Mini has a lot of problems over RGB/Scart for SNES:

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=4743.0
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Markus (Moosmann) doesn't live far from me. He does all my modding work. And he doesn't really state that the XRGB has lots of problems, but simply that the RGB input is picky is when it comes to different RGB signals from different systems. Nevertheless, the Mini is much more compatible than the XRGB-3 ever was and I would even say more compatible than any DVDO ever was. And if you really run into any problems, it's just a matter of adding a sync stripper in between your sources and the Mini.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Thanks. Since I have a Sync Stripper anyway (the SyncStrike) I shouldn't have a problem. The SNES is the most important console in my collection, so I was just worried about it possibly not working right.

Thanks again for all your help as always.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Fudoh wrote:Are you in the US ?

USA: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Extron-RGB-109x ... 4ab3233d8d
Ok, I finally got this in the mail, and I have yet to get it working.

I have the SNES going to the SyncStrike via SCART. The VGA port on the SyncStrike is going to the fixed VGA plug on the Extron. The back BNC ports are all converted to RCA, going to the back of the DVDO Edge.

I have tried all the configurations I can think of and am not getting a picture. I am obviously supposed to be using the bottom red, green, and blue ports on the Edge. Then what, just H from the Extron to H on the DVDO Edge?
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

You can see it here:

http://www.videogameperfection.com/av-g ... n-rgb-faq/

It's the BuckoA51's XRGB3 and DVDO Edge info site - http://www.videogameperfection.com/
fagin

Post by fagin »

Hamburglar wrote:I have tried all the configurations I can think of and am not getting a picture. I am obviously supposed to be using the bottom red, green, and blue ports on the Edge. Then what, just H from the Extron to H on the DVDO Edge?
Yes - use component input row 2 though.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Thanks for linking to that guide and the replies, but the unit I bought on eBay does not have a DIP switch called "Comp Sync" on it anywhere. There is only "SOG, DDSP, SERR, SPARE, ID PIN 4 and ID PIN 11". I tried flipping them all around, back and forth, and none of them produce an image :(

I found the manual online:

http://media.extron.com/download/files/ ... G_RevA.pdf

but there's so many options between jumpers on the motherboard and the DIP switches there literally has to be several hundred possible combinations. Help! :D
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

but the unit I bought on eBay does not have a DIP switch called "Comp Sync" on it anywhere
that doesn't matter. My Extrons don't have the switch either. The Extrons without a Comp. Sync switch do "output follows input", so if you feed composite sync, the output will be composite as well.

On your Extron unit (109xi) you have to use the BNC output labeled S and connect it to the Edge's "H" input. With your particular input the H+V BNC outputs are blind.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Fudoh wrote:
but the unit I bought on eBay does not have a DIP switch called "Comp Sync" on it anywhere
that doesn't matter. My Extrons don't have the switch either. The Extrons without a Comp. Sync switch do "output follows input", so if you feed composite sync, the output will be composite as well.

On your Extron unit (109xi) you have to use the BNC output labeled S and connect it to the Edge's "H" input. With your particular input the H+V BNC outputs are blind.
I would have *never* figured that out, especially since the guide I was linked says use the H output! Thank you very much!

Any idea what I should have all the other jumpers/dip switches set to? I am supposed to have the SyncStrike set to HSYnc on its jumper to get the improved image quality, correct?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Fudoh wrote:On your Extron unit (109xi) you have to use the BNC output labeled S and connect it to the Edge's "H" input. With your particular input the H+V BNC outputs are blind.
Ahh... I forgot this was the 109xi discussed here... that would help then. lol
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I would have *never* figured that out, especially since the guide I was linked says use the H output! Thank you very much!
not really, the guide shows both configurations :)

Leave DDSP off. This way you can use the H-Shift option. Quality-wise the jumpers and dips shouldn't make a difference.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

Fudoh wrote:
not really, the guide shows both configurations :)

Leave DDSP off. This way you can use the H-Shift option. Quality-wise the jumpers and dips shouldn't make a difference.
I actually meant the jumper on the SyncStrike, my fault. That should be set to csync or hsync? I've tried both and it's not working, even with the S port on the Extron going to the H port on the DVDO Edge.
fagin

Post by fagin »

csync on the Sync Strike - you have enough power going to the Sync Strike yeah?
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:csync on the Sync Strike - you have enough power going to the Sync Strike yeah?
Yep, power from an external PSU.

I even tried THREE different RGB SNES Scart cables (one with "pure sync") and still no go.

Must have something to do with the DIP switches, even though I could have sworn I tried every combo I could think of.

SOG (sync on green) I leave off, as well as DDSP as I was told to leave off in this thread. SERR I switch back and forth because I have no idea what "serration pulses" does. SPARE I think literally just means "spare" so I ignore that one.

In the front there are two DIP switches that are both supposed to be set to up if using a laptop and no local monitor, and both down if using no local monitor.

Inside the unit there are two jumpers, which the manual states:

To force H and V output syncs to
negative, connect pins 1 and 2.
For output sync to follow input
sync, connect pins 2 and 3 (default
setting).

and for the other internal jumper....

Set vertical sync pulse width (jumper J40).
For a narrow V output sync pulse,
connect pins 1 and 2.
For a wide V output sync pulse
(default setting), connect pins 2 and 3.

Each time I mess with these options, I unplug and replug the Extron, to no avail. Been doing this for several hours and I could swear I exhausted every available combination. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to know before I give up and buy a THIRD Extron RGB.
fagin

Post by fagin »

I've just read back your previous posts and you mention you're using the SNES with a Sync Strike..... I think that's your problem. I don't think the SNES works with the Sync Strike.... iirc I had to use my SyncBlaster cable for that specific configuration.

I would need to pull all my shizz out tonight to be certain though (although I know the Sync Strike didn't work with my SNES for one combination).
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

You had posted on December 17th the following:
fagin wrote: SNES -> Sync Strike -> EXTRON RGB -> EDGE works fine! :wink:

Any Extron RGB unit will suffice (just find the cheapest unit). You just need to enable CSYNC and DDSP.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Ok... I'm sure the combination doesn't work then without the Extron. Obviously that doesnt help you though.

Sorry.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

But...I do have the Extron :confused:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

But wouldn't the SNES work with SNES->EXTRON->EDGE even without the Sync Strike as long as a cable providing raw sync would be used ?
fagin

Post by fagin »

Hamburglar wrote:But...I do have the Extron :confused:
I know what you have... that's why I said my last comment didn't help you! lol

OK assuming you have all the correct dip settings you appear to either have a dodgy SS and/or Extron and/or Edge.... or anyone of your cables being used!

As a matter of interest what does you EDGE say against the input?

Fudoh,
You would of thought so.
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote: OK assuming you have all the correct dip settings
That's where I may need some help. I'm not sure if I have them all correct, even though I could swear I tried every possible combo.

I know to keep SOG off because that means Sync on Green. DDSP dip switch is off because I was told to. SERR is a switch that means "serration pulses" and I have no idea if it should be on or off.

In the front I have two DIP switches. The manual says to have both up if you are using a laptop and no local monitor, and both down if no local monitor. No idea what it should be on, but I've tried both ways.

On top of all of those DIP switches, there's 2 jumpers inside. The manual says:

To force H and V output syncs to
negative, connect pins 1 and 2.
For output sync to follow input
sync, connect pins 2 and 3 (default
setting).

and for the other internal jumper....

Set vertical sync pulse width (jumper J40).
For a narrow V output sync pulse,
connect pins 1 and 2.
For a wide V output sync pulse
(default setting), connect pins 2 and 3.

I have no idea what should be what. Does anyone know what it should be set to to get my SNES picture going?
fagin

Post by fagin »

The first lot of dips you mention will not stop a picture from displaying in their own right, regardless of the setting.

DIP switches on the front... no idea, but based on your explanation, you can't really go wrong with trying two combinations.

Default settings on the internal jumpers are fine.

So like I said.... what is your EDGE telling you against the component 2 input status screen?
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote:
So like I said.... what is your EDGE telling you against the component 2 input status screen?
Component 2/PC: Signal type: No signal :(

The Extron is not defective because I tried it with a laptop and projector and it worked just fine. I must be doing something wrong. I can't figure out what that could be though. The SCART RGB cables are working, the SyncStrike is working (it works using the top inputs on the Edge) and the Extron is working. But all together, they're not. It's gotta be a jumper setting I'm missing for some reason. Maybe. I have no idea.
fagin

Post by fagin »

Logically then, it could be a problem with your EDGE on those inputs.... although I doubt it.

Have you tried (apologies if this has already been done) it with any other console on those inputs on the EDGE and chain beforehand?
Hamburglar

Post by Hamburglar »

fagin wrote: Have you tried (apologies if this has already been done) it with any other console on those inputs on the EDGE and chain beforehand?
Just tried my RGB modded NES. No picture.

I doubt the inputs are bad, because my Dreamcast works though it just fine :|
fagin

Post by fagin »

How are you connecting your DC. RGBH or RGBHV?