The Self-Introduction Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

Hi everyone, my name is UFO and well, what can I say? You know the rest :lol:!

I'm also known to own no0bs, so watch out :wink:.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n »

Hello everyone from Barcelona! I'm a rather new shmupper although I've been occasionally playing shmups more or less my entire life. Started with Life Force on the NES and played some more during the SNES and PS eras until I got back to it thanks to the PS2.

I just got my first Saturn today and have been purchasing games for it while practicing my Gradius, Ikaruga, Triggerheart Exelica and R-Type.

I think I'm gonna focus on Saturn shmups for a while and then move onto the also outstanding PlayStation library. Then perhaps someday I'll get a PC-Engine, Mega Drive, SNES, Dreamcast and a Japanese 360 for an almost complete console shmup experience.

Among my fav games are:
Gradius Gaiden and V, R-Types and Final, Kaitei Daisensou, Layer Section, Soukyugurentai, Parodius, Ikaruga, Panzer Dragoon (although it's unfairly bashed over this forums), DoDonpachi, Progear, etc.
Eppur si muove...
wax0rz

Post by wax0rz »

hey everybody

new to the forum (and pretty new to the whole shmup genre). just popping in to introduce myself really, i have nothing of worth to say yet, and my scores are below pitiful.

the games i currently own (and may try for scores on, or in some cases, just try and make it to the end)

ikaruga (GC)

psyvariar complete (ps2)

r-type final (ps2, finished but dont have the save anymore, dont think i want to od it all again, much better games to be played)

gradius v (ps2)

silpheed: the lost planet (ps2)

1945 I&II (ps2)

cant remember if have any more, but either way, i am really poor at them right now, and dont have much time to put into them. i spent too long playing newer, but far too easy, and dull different games, in which i have now lost pretty much all interest.

anyways, i dont really have a favourite of that bunch, as some of them i have only played once. but i will put in a few hours in the coming weeks to show my lack of talent :)

great forum, dedicated to the best genre of games around.
Nukebelly

Post by Nukebelly »

Hello everyone.
I have been lurking around here for a couple years. This forum has helped me many times when I couldn't remember the name of a game from the 80's and early 90's. I got into shmups when my uncle would let me play his colecovision back in the day. Really got hooked when i got my own nes. played Gyruss and Lifeforce to death.. Later on, Granada, Thunder Force 3 and Fireshark on the Genesis had me glued to the TV. I have Mars Matrix on DC i still play and a current Mame32UIFX for all the classic stuff. Lately I have been playing Raiden Fighter Aces on the 360. Lucked up and found a Madcatz SF4 fightpad at BestBuy right before it shipped.. Really enjoying this as of late.. See u guys around..
Mad Mage

Post by Mad Mage »

Ho there.

Been playing shmups since I was young, but I always sucked at them. Now, after all these years, I've somehow become decent. I wanna get better, so I finally created an account here after years of being aware of the site, but not feeling avid enough to want to join. I'm also a die-hard fan of other 2D games and any video game that is unique or different than the mainstream. I'm a big fan of Treasure.
TMR

Post by TMR »

Ooh, umm introduction stuff... okay, i'll have a go! Real name of Jason but usually T.M.R on teh interwebs, just past my mid thirties, based in Leeds, U.K. and i'm a practising pervert (i plan to get it right one day). i've been playing shoot 'em ups for the best part of my life (or more accurately, the bits i can remember since i've a shocking memory) starting with Space Invaders and Asteroids at a local social club when i was probably about nine or ten, then Jeff Minter's VIC blasters Gridrunner, Hellgate and Lazer Zone. Since then i've actively sought out shoot 'em ups on the platforms i've owned or used, with the range of machines covering everything from the VIC 20 to the Wii that currently needs servicing (or possibly just a new video cable, should be turning up soon) and usually listing the C64 as a personal favourite. No Xbox 360 or PS3, though, because i'm skint... =-(

i've also been known to write games, four of my C64 releases are listed in the Xenocide Files and i'm currently working on two more (both horizontal scrollers) as well as having a few vague plans for more shoot 'em up goodness for 8-bits and i've been dabbling with designs for the PC under the Bullet Mechanics "label". There's a bit of writing out there with my name on an' all, i act as the editor for Oldschool Gaming which reviews new games on 8-bit computers and consoles, write Retro Tat on my own, covering console remakes and retro complilations as well as direct to TV and LCD games and i've been known to string sentences together for RGCD as well. Oh, and i'm the bunny who writes the homebrew reviews for Retro Gamer magazine too, although you wouldn't know i was a "professional journalist" from this post... =-)

i don't consider myself to be a brilliant player, but i've completed a few things in my time; my favourite game on any platform is Io on the C64 and i've finished that on a single life more times than i can remember. Erm... and that's about it really, i'll take questions from the floor now. =-)
Kumebahn

Post by Kumebahn »

I came here 2 years ago, but left shortly after that. Now a more seasoned shmup player I make my return. Look forward to being part of the community again!

I love bullet hell games. Cave shooters and the Touhou series are my favorites. Other than that the ThunderForce series and Raiden Fighters are my other favorites.
Insert witty signature here......
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Hi all. I'm The Coop. I just registered this eve-

Wait. No I didn't. Nevermind.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

The Coop wrote:Hi all. I'm The Coop. I just registered this eve-

Wait. No I didn't. Nevermind.
Alzheimer? Ever tried to play R-Type?
fogelmir

Post by fogelmir »

YO! I'm from California.

I got into shumps through gradius and space megaforce, but it was Gradius V, Shikigami 2 and Espgaluda, that made me go from casual to shmup freak.

It's hard to be a shmup fan in the US, Being unimployed most of the time, makes it hard to import anything, Or buy a Pcb.

I joined the forums a while ago, but only became active through a member who inspired me to post.

I'm lucky to have an arcade nearby that will sometimes get decent games. They had raiden 4, mushi futari, and deathsmiles at one point.

I hope to continue posting, playing and getting to know others on the forums.

Laters...
Never Give Up, Never Continue!
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

I'm Gespenst from Bandung, Indonesia, and a die-hard fan of shump :D
Back to shumpping after 4 to 5 years 'hibernation' by playing Fraxy and Raiden Fighters series in MAME (right, arcade shumps in Indonesia getting rarer to zero nowdays, all being replaced by something like Initial D or Fast & Furious or Time Crisis 4...)
redeyeguy_KIO

Post by redeyeguy_KIO »

Hi, I'm redeyeguy the KI guy. I am from Toronto, Canada, and have always been into shmups since I first went to the arcades. My first shmup was Galaga, and I had crazy fun with that. I was very upset when the Galaga machine was removed one day, and could never find a better game at the local arcade.

For a while after, I didn't play many other video games other than Killer Instinct. Yes... I was a hardcore nerd, but I used to play the SNES version online via zbattle.net, and was basically ranked #1 player for about 3 years (yep, people still played it online). I had so much fun until I realized just how pointless it was to be the best at a very BROKEN game that died in the 1990's because of its own flaws. I eventually got sick of the bullshit, and decided to look for a more solid game to play, one that would not dominate my life the way fighting games did. Shmups seemed to fit that category perfectly. I found that they were generally quite easy to pick up, and delivered VERY intense bursts of gameplay in just a short amount of time, and scoring was great for both goals and replay value.

Now I am a shmupper, just like how I was back in my childhood days. Ok, I still love many non-shmup games, but my genre of choice is now shmups for the variety and purity they offer in gameplay and fun.

General Summary:

- I love shmups, my favorites being DDP, Recca, GW Galaxies, Smash TV, Galaga, Typhoon 2001, and Cho Ren Sha 68k. I am also growing very fond of Ikaruga, Silvergun, Robotron, and the R-Type series

- I also love oldschool beat-em-ups, especially The Simpsons, TMNT Turtles in Time, and Battletoads

- I am a big fan of Metal Slug 3

- I absolutely LOVE hot food, and I even grow my own peppers (jalapeno, thai, and habanero). Black Mamba Sauce ftw!!!

- I still like great fighting games, and I still play KI once in a blue moon if I'm in the mood. I am also quite good at SSF2T, although not pro

- I used to be extremely good at Smash Bros 64, and am good at Brawl, although I haven't played it in ages

- I LOVE TO PLAY MARIO KART WII ONLINE!!!!

- I enjoy playing Super Mario World hacks, although some kick my ass quite bad, especially Luigi's Adventure :cry:

- I speak fluent Spanish

Yep, that sums up everything about me.

P.S. - If anyone wants to see high level KI play, check out my YouTube channel. 8)
Last edited by redeyeguy_KIO on Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MY SHMUP REVIEWS:
http://shmup.xanga.com/

MY YOUTUBE (former Killer Instinct champion):
http://www.youtube.com/user/redeyedol
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

redeyeguy_KIO wrote:- I absolutely LOVE hot food, and I even grow my own peppers (jalapeno, thai, and habanero). Black Mamba Sauce ftw!!!
You brave soldier..
TrevHead (TVR)

Re: The Self-Introduction Thread

Post by TrevHead (TVR) »

Hi chaps im TrevHead age30 from the north of england, TVR is my highscore tag which i was gonna use instead of my normal internet tag but ive noticed that some1 else is using it grrr.

Current hobbies include: music, anime/manga and playing games on my PC (Eve online fan) 1st person shooters like quake 2,4 Fallout 3, Big RPG fan PC rpg or jrpg i like most of em also latley Retro games and shmups. Also i like browsing the net and using the comments section of You tube's Braveheart vids to wind up english hating scots (i jest truly i do :lol: )

As ive just said ive only just recently got into shmups which is mostly to do with my gpx card fan falling off making it so i can only play 2d and simple ps1 3d games without my card over heating. (a blessing in discuise as i needed to upgrade my card any how)
When i was a kid hanging around arcades i mostly played fighting games (st fighter 2) and platformers (shinobi, newzealand story).
In the 2 local arcades i went to shmup cabinets were never there apart from a R Type cab i remember playing a little bit, but i was rubish at it and ate to many coins hehe. Even so R-type holds a soft spot in my heart along with Gynoug (wings of wor) for the Megadrive which i really enjoyed playing for a week or 2 when i rented it a couple of times, (bloody hard game i remember)

Atm the shmups im playing mostly are Nomltest FS, Reincarnation and all 3 of X.X's Blue Wish games, all these games are great for improving my gameplay. Working on unlocking the other nomltest modes (gets bloody hard for me around lv 60-70) and No missing stage 2 of BWR (i have no missed to boss but not the whole level yet). I love the way in shmups that i can pratice a game and hopefully get a little bit better every day reaching new heights. I would love to play a arcade shmup but for now im limiting myself to doujin while i improve my skills. But i cant feel alittle green seeing mostly arcade/console topics in these forums :mrgreen:
Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree »

Hi all. I registered after playing DoDonPachi and DeathSmiles at IC09.

I'm not great at these sort of games but looking to see what the genre has to offer.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

this is the thread you need blue-ree

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11882

should answer any questions you have.. you might want to read the sticky glossary at the top of this forum as well
fullduplexnurse

Post by fullduplexnurse »

Fairly amateur shmuper here. Got sucked in recently by another board member, Joe T. Enjoying my recent JPX360 purchase and most of the available titles. You certainly won't see me in a high score thread yet, but some practice, and the information on this board, should help.
headcaseGames

Post by headcaseGames »

howdy folks! I used to post on this board occasionally as ralp99 but it's been so long (years), yet while not much of a poster I definitely am a lurker.

I am a game dev (I've worked at Neversoft, Obsidian, 3DO, lots of other places) and recently striking out on my own to do the DIY small-time route. Having a blast with it - wish me luck!

SHMUPwise, I am pretty standard I suppose. I love the 16Bit period the best - your R-Types, Thunder Forces (hard to choose between 2 and 3) and of course anything by Compile. I recently got into Shmupping on a Saturn finally, all these years later - lots of good times! More than any of that I am a little old-schooly and I still get a real kick out of games like Space Invaders, Galaga, Asteroids and real stripped-down stuff of that nature, graphics be damned! I intend to develop something along those lines myself, which can just be fun and simple without being really heavy. I guess now is a good time to attempt such things, in that there's definitely more of a market that pays attention to it.

A little off-topic, but we are hosting a blog at my company's page, other than discussion of development and promotion we do stuff like feature a RetroGame of the Day, check it out!
Last edited by headcaseGames on Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Game Developer HeadcaseGames.com - twitter
Fans of Tetris Attack & Magical Drop should get 180 for iPhone!
Retro Game of the Day!
Dokken

Post by Dokken »

Hey, hows it goin?

I like shoot em ups, although im not that great at em. I play mostly pc games like roms or touhou because i have a mame arcade machine that i put together. Some of my favorites are: Progear, Dodonpachi, Strikers 1945's, and the touhous.
manatworks

Post by manatworks »

hello, average player from Thailand here, i got into this genre since i've played R-type in the arcade back in those days, too bad i can't find any arcade with shumps around here anymore.
My favorite games: Under Defeat,Karous,DDP,Hellsinker and touhou stuffs
so....greeting to everyone!,i'll looking for free time to submit the score!
tsuruki

Post by tsuruki »

I'm from thailand as well.

I 'm sometime too straightforward, and therefore usually make someone furious by that impulsive reply.
It would be privillage if you could neglect my misconduct.
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

The human robot whose everything to Shmup.org is new…Greetings to welcome! We are meeting result here of large catastrophe, considerably are happy! We are here to fulfill your shmup desires and make sure that fruits are gathered!

And before bringing your rear section to the forum, verify that your tail washes! :mrgreen:
Fight Like A Robot!
headcaseGames

Post by headcaseGames »

so, are you using some kinda app to generate that craziness? or dd a seagull crash into the side of your head when you were trying to fix your compact-disc changer...
Game Developer HeadcaseGames.com - twitter
Fans of Tetris Attack & Magical Drop should get 180 for iPhone!
Retro Game of the Day!
DecepticonZero

Post by DecepticonZero »

Hey folks!

New to this forum but I see alot of familiar faces. Figured I would pop in this thread and say hi!

-DZ
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

headcaseGames wrote:so, are you using some kinda app to generate that craziness? or dd a seagull crash into the side of your head when you were trying to fix your compact-disc changer...
Actually, it its my personal vendetta against translators like Babelfish.

I discovered translators are sh*t...I've met some nice people from foreign countries and wanted to speak to them in their own tongue. I found Bablefish and tried communicate with them. To my embarrassment, the reply would come out as meaningless gibberish. So I started writing paragraphs and translated it with Bablefish, then translated that back into English. What you get back is a bunch of nonsense.

I know, I have a dry sense of humor.
Fight Like A Robot!
davyK

Post by davyK »

Howdly doodly.

Have lurked here for ages - since when shmups.com was hosted at classicgaming.com. Mainly because I'm intimidated as I'm not that hot at shmups even though I love 'em. But I think what the hell.

Have a healthy collection for my white Saturn inc. some of the big hitters : RSG, DoDonPachi, Souky.... Love the Parodius series (have them all on Saturn too) - you might guess that from my avatar.

Have a chipped SNES+Megadrive, a Freeloader for my GC, and PAL 2600, 7800, PS1, PS2 , DC and Wii.

I've been around - since the Pong days - so my 1st shmup was Space Invaders. Still play it from time to time.
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

Been posting here for a while now but never got round to introducing myself so here goes:

I'm based in the UK and have been playing shmups on off since the c64 days (when we called them shoot em ups). Most my 'shmupping' was on the Megadrive and after that generation I've played less and less (largely due to expense and availability) but I never lost the passion for the genre.
Thanks to xbla I've got to experience a few new shooters (the scraps they throw this way in Europe anyway) and have recently been catching up on my shmup history using Mame.

As well as playing shooters, I'm also trying my hand at making them too, something that started way back in the c64 days with an inspired if limited program SEUCK and am continuing with GM.

Favorite SHMUP of all time would have to be R-Type (if only for the memories) though I still can't get past stage 6 without cheating!
My shmup Projects
Finished: Invader! -- Tri Hunter -- Proj Raiden
WIP: Infinity Squadron
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Hi,

I like those games you play where there are lots of bullets.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

anji2128

Hey all!

Post by anji2128 »

I don't know if this is proper protocol or not but I saw a few other introduction threads here on the main page so I figured I'd throw up one as well.
I've checked on this site before a couple times to find new shmups to play, and decided I should finally sign up and participate in some of the discussion.
I'm relatively new to shmups and haven't started playing them semi-seriously till recently. That being said, I'm still a n00b.
My favorite shmups are E.S.P.Rade, Mushihimesama, the Gradius series, Ikaruga and the Raiden series.
So yea...TADA!

Here's my shmup collection:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 23#p497023

mod sez: merged with self-introduction thread
PROMETHEUS

Re:

Post by PROMETHEUS »

redeyeguy_KIO wrote:- I enjoy playing Super Mario World hacks, although some kick my ass quite bad, especially Luigi's Adventure :cry:
Have you played "Tsunami Island" ? ;] (it's a SMW hack)
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??