Your new music thread **formerly 'Music Production Thread'

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
charlie chong

Re: Music Production Thread

Post by charlie chong »

the last song i did
http://www.divshare.com/download/15660270-ce3

just a drum loop and a reversed loop,some analogue synth plinky plonky played live with a few overdubs to add chords (my analogue synth is monophonic :cry: ) then i did a rap. took about 2 hours start to finish including the raps i think.oh i added some drones a off a gong lp as well.the womany moany orgasmy sounds :lol:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

What kind of synth you got Charlie?

I like the track. :)
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

some japanese knock off of the arp lead by a company called teisco.all my mates call it the tesco synth(only brits would get this.tesco being the most popular supermarket chain in uk).i've got a cheapo casio pcm/fm synth as well that i bought from the charity shop for £10. i run it through a mini matamp valve amplifier and it sounds like some crazy analogue gear(albeit without tweakable knobs) or a bit like an organ through a leslie speaker just depends what sound you pick.it is quite remarkable.can't wait to get making some beats with it.i've only just moved and been mad busy.
oh and thanks for the kind words!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

yep thats the one.the touch sensitive keys are one of the best things about it.mine needs repairs tho as some of the keys stick and fuck up the portamento glissando.saying that it makes some mad sounds because of it being broken so mebbes i should just leave as is.would probably cost more to fix than i paid for it the first place :)
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

charlie chong wrote:yep thats the one.the touch sensitive keys are one of the best things about it.mine needs repairs tho as some of the keys stick and fuck up the portamento glissando.saying that it makes some mad sounds because of it being broken so mebbes i should just leave as is.would probably cost more to fix than i paid for it the first place :)
Nice!
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i did have an italian eko synth on lend from a friend that was very very similar except it had a sort of arpeggiator thing that made it hard to sustain sounds.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

emphatic wrote:An acid track I finished today: http://soundcloud.com/dj_emphatic/dj-em ... es-of-acid
Nice work Emph!! I like when the bass first comes in. Always loved the 303 acid sound. Crank that resonance!!

Good luck on the gig! :)
cools

Post by cools »

jonny5 wrote:New track up.

http://soundcloud.com/infinity-curve/only-us-left-now

I made a new account for my more synthy soundtrack type stuff.

Would love some feedback on this.
Feedback? It's fantastic. I want the multitrack ;)
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

cools wrote:

Feedback? It's fantastic. I want the multitrack ;)
For a remix? I would be more than happy to shoot you the multitrack, just let me hear anything you do before you post it online. Although the drum track is a midi track using an Oberheim DMX kit in Ableton; you use Renoise, right? Shouldn't be an issue as it gives me options to output the individual tracks as WAV's or the overall master track.

I have a meet today but I will get them together and upload them for you tomorrow.

Thanks for the kind words! I was pretty stoked on this track, it kind of just came together perfectly, so I am glad other people like it too. I think I am most proud of the tom rolls, just because I pretty much never use them, and I totally had the rolls in my head and it was very gratifying once I finally had them laid out the way I heard it in my head. Pressed play and just smiled! 8)

Definitely getting my style down better, and I am getting much better at programming my gear to get the sounds I want. I'm already jamming on some ideas for the next track. Been programming some wild sound effects and weird sweeps. Should be interesting.

Also loving the simplicity of the MMT-8 for sequencing. It's just as immediate and easy as an MPC minus the sampling capabilities. Put it this way, all the instructions on how to use it and all the functions are written on the 4"x9" lid :lol:
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

yeah thats a real dope tune casey. i might do a rap to it at some point if you don't mind.the drums have a much less robotic feel than the mpc stuff you sent me.FEELING IT! 8) plus it's got the new agey plinky plonk sounding keystyle i love. great stuff
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

im gonna listen to it again right now in fact :wink:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

charlie chong wrote:im gonna listen to it again right now in fact :wink:
It's downloadable. :wink:

And it's Cody btw, not Casey.

All I ask is you let me hear anything you do with it before you put it anywhere online.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

:oops: oops sorry cody dunno why i got confused and thought you were called casey(probbly the medication i'm on at the min). i managed to find the download link earlier.done about 1.45 of a verse so far .and of course i will send you anything i do before i put it anywhere else.. i can even send you the track of my vocals(with the rough track for timing reference) if you want to mix my vocals down better than i can.in fact i would prefer you to mix the vocals down better :lol:
just got to try and record the vocals without pissing my mum off.im used to having my own place :x
this will be the first verse i have written on govenment medication.doesn't seemed to have stopped my creative spark anyways 8)
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

actually that reminded me got to cop 7 pills right now before bed :lol:
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

charlie chong wrote::oops: oops sorry cody dunno why i got confused and thought you were called casey(probbly the medication i'm on at the min). i managed to find the download link earlier.done about 1.45 of a verse so far .and of course i will send you anything i do before i put it anywhere else.. i can even send you the track of my vocals(with the rough track for timing reference) if you want to mix my vocals down better than i can.in fact i would prefer you to mix the vocals down better :lol:
just got to try and record the vocals without pissing my mum off.im used to having my own place :x
this will be the first verse i have written on govenment medication.doesn't seemed to have stopped my creative spark anyways 8)
Ya that would be cool! Just get your vocals recorded clean, and send them to me with a rough track and I will see what I can do. :)
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Had these done for a while, but never posted them here:

All of these are Summer Chip 1 entries, and I've selected the ones I like most [there were some I submitted solely to submit for a category, such as my Mario Paint entry [it is the worst way to make music ever :P]]. The list is approximately sorted by quality [so better is up top], and the format is listed in brackets.

http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/ ... dges/6221/ - along the edges [allgear]
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/ ... udio/6215/ - the future of audio [64kB XM]
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/ ... pace/6223/ - pseudounlimited space [Microsoft GM Synth MIDI]
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/ ... tiny/6182/ - make me tiny [8kB XM]
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/ ... f+it/6193/ - to the tip of it [PC Engine]
http://battleofthebits.org/arena/Entry/ ... stem/6237/ - food system [Adlib FM]
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

jonny5 wrote:
charlie chong wrote::oops: oops sorry cody dunno why i got confused and thought you were called casey(probbly the medication i'm on at the min). i managed to find the download link earlier.done about 1.45 of a verse so far .and of course i will send you anything i do before i put it anywhere else.. i can even send you the track of my vocals(with the rough track for timing reference) if you want to mix my vocals down better than i can.in fact i would prefer you to mix the vocals down better :lol:
Ya that would be cool! Just get your vocals recorded clean, and send them to me with a rough track and I will see what I can do. :)
i been trying my mums karaoke mikes (i used to use a cheapo plastic sanyo mic that doesn't even have the top bit :lol: ) but they seem bassy compared to what i'm used to(i have a very deep voice) might just go back to the plastic sanyo.my delivery is not good enough yet but i'll keep trying!
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Nice!

I'm actually working on another jam right now. It's coming together nicely. 8)

Should hopefully have something up in a few days if all goes well. :)
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

pure epics that track -

- that's some hardware list you've got there:

'Moog Slim Phatty
Novation K Station
Waldorf Blofeld
Elka Rhapsody 490
Oberheim DMX samples on drums'

v impressive - I have a MiniMOOG Model D - well I dont really 'have' it - it's on loan, I had a Xiosynth once which is same engine as K-Station I think and I loved it - really raspy nasal tones it could make. I currently have:

mBase01
TR-707
Novation BassStation Keyboard
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

here is my two latest tracks - I'm pretty old skool in fairness so it's not everyones cup of tea:

http://soundcloud.com/raytrace/thehorro ... dwithyou-1

http://soundcloud.com/raytrace/sf94-raytraceremix
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Raytrace wrote:

pure epics that track -

'Moog Slim Phatty
Novation K Station
Waldorf Blofeld
Elka Rhapsody 490

v impressive - I have a MiniMOOG Model D - well I dont really 'have' it - it's on loan, I had a Xiosynth once which is same engine as K-Station I think and I loved it - really raspy nasal tones it could make. I currently have:

mBase01
TR-707
Glad you liked it! :)

I would kill for a Minimoog D, hope to be able to afford one maybe next year. I got the Slim Phatty as a cheaper substitute for the time being for my Moog needs, you just can't get that sound with other stuff.

The lead on that track is the Phatty, the secondary lead in the middle is the Elka Rhapsody running through an EHX Small Stone phaser, K Station on bass and the Blofeld is on pad duty, all original patches, I tend to make my sounds on the fly to suit what I need in a particular track. The drums are actually a kit in Ableton, with some minimal effects and reverb added.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

jonny5 wrote:
Raytrace wrote:

pure epics that track -

'Moog Slim Phatty
Novation K Station
Waldorf Blofeld
Elka Rhapsody 490

mBase01
TR-707

I would kill for a Minimoog D, hope to be able to afford one maybe next year. I got the Slim Phatty as a cheaper substitute for the time being for my Moog needs, you just can't get that sound with other stuff.

The lead on that track is the Phatty, the secondary lead in the middle is the Elka Rhapsody running through an EHX Small Stone phaser, K Station on bass and the Blofeld is on pad duty, all original patches, I tend to make my sounds on the fly to suit what I need in a particular track. The drums are actually a kit in Ableton, with some minimal effects and reverb added.
cool stuff man - there is a certain tone to the Novation VA synths that cuts through anything, and when you do acidic tones with them it's like they're some sort of úber aggressive acidmachine - really really nasal and clean

nice one on the Elka, I've always wanted to get some sorta string machine, though tbh I'd probably just get something like a Roland JX3P - I have a strange fascination with them :p

I actually been checkin out the iPad Filtatron and AniMOOG - seriously the filtatron really does sound pretty much as smooth as the MiniMOOGs filter - even at high resonances -
yeah the main 'drop' in my SF 94 track I linke above (the slightly hoovery sound) is the MiniMOOG, likewise the thereminy sounds (and a lot of the atmos/fx) in the I Stand With You track. I'm working on a remix for a guy called Fat Bastian on Soundcloud atm (he does great very early hardcore/acid/housey stuff)- it's gonna be pure acid I think eheh - mainly using Phoscyon, Korg M1 (vst), PPG Wave 2 and Waldorf Attack :)
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Raytrace wrote:
jonny5 wrote:
Raytrace wrote:
pure epics that track -

'Moog Slim Phatty
Novation K Station
Waldorf Blofeld
Elka Rhapsody 490

mBase01
TR-707

cool stuff man - there is a certain tone to the Novation VA synths that cuts through anything, and when you do acidic tones with them it's like they're some sort of úber aggressive acidmachine - really really nasal and clean

nice one on the Elka, I've always wanted to get some sorta string machine, though tbh I'd probably just get something like a Roland JX3P - I have a strange fascination with them :p

I actually been checkin out the iPad Filtatron and AniMOOG - seriously the filtatron really does sound pretty much as smooth as the MiniMOOGs filter - even at high resonances -
yeah the main 'drop' in my SF 94 track I linke above (the slightly hoovery sound) is the MiniMOOG, likewise the thereminy sounds (and a lot of the atmos/fx) in the I Stand With You track. I'm working on a remix for a guy called Fat Bastian on Soundcloud atm (he does great very early hardcore/acid/housey stuff)- it's gonna be pure acid I think eheh - mainly using Phoscyon, Korg M1 (vst), PPG Wave 2 and Waldorf Attack :)
I also have a Yamaha SK10 that has a great string section, ok organ section and mediocre brass section, but I tend to use the Elka just because it has 'that' sound I want. The SK10 is great, but needs a bit more effecting to get where I need it. Put the Rhapsody through a phaser and instant Jarre steez!! 8)

I've eyed the JX3P and JX8P a few times, but they are huge, and without the programmer controllers for them you are stuck with presets or computer editing, which I hate!

I've been so busy at work I totally missed the aniMOOG news; I was reading about the new app on vintagesynthexplorer. Shame I don't have an IPAD. :cry: But if I'm honest, I would never use it. I like the tactile feel of hardware; I spend enough time looking at screens all day at work, I don't want to go home and have to look at a screen to make music too, or at least as little as needed(mixdown in Ableton).

I had a quick listen to your tracks last night. I like the old school feel; very 90's rave! Nice work. Do you mostly just do remixes or do you also do original stuff?
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

jonny5 wrote: I also have a Yamaha SK10 that has a great string section, ok organ section and mediocre brass section, but I tend to use the Elka just because it has 'that' sound I want. The SK10 is great, but needs a bit more effecting to get where I need it. Put the Rhapsody through a phaser and instant Jarre steez!! 8)

I've eyed the JX3P and JX8P a few times, but they are huge, and without the programmer controllers for them you are stuck with presets or computer editing, which I hate!

I've been so busy at work I totally missed the aniMOOG news; I was reading about the new app on vintagesynthexplorer. Shame I don't have an IPAD. :cry: But if I'm honest, I would never use it. I like the tactile feel of hardware; I spend enough time looking at screens all day at work, I don't want to go home and have to look at a screen to make music too, or at least as little as needed(mixdown in Ableton).

I had a quick listen to your tracks last night. I like the old school feel; very 90's rave! Nice work. Do you mostly just do remixes or do you also do original stuff?
yeah while I don't mind doing stuff 'in the box' (pretty much all my stuff is done that way) - if I got a JX 3P I would like to have the PG-200 (or wotever number is the addon for it) definitely.

I dont have a mixer so I still don't use hardware nearly enough most of the time I just sample it really or MIDI trigger it but then end up manipulating a WAV of it anyway - I do always like to program beats on 707 when I can though - it just always turns out better than drawing drum patterns in piano roll! I do spend a lot of time trying to make stuff sound 'old' or hardware though haha - I use Nebula tape emulations and my UAD and Powercore plugs a lot, and I'm usually pretty aggressive with the hi-cuts on my final WAVs - I hate abrasive highs.

cool man glad you liked those tracks - no they're actually the first 2 remixes I've done - The Horrorist one is I believe going to be put on CD which is something in this day and age so I'm chuffed with that :)- everything else well apart from an 'unofficial' remix I did of a track from 1991 for the Anniversary 91 Project Soundcloud group is my stuff -

http://soundcloud.com/raytrace

obviously the 'mixes' section is mixtapes, but all of the 'Tracks' section apart from the top 3 are 'original' - I was never really a part of mashup culture or whatever hehe.
To be honest I find it a lot harder to do remixes than my own stuff, but it is very enjoyable towards the end when it finally comes together.
Last edited by Raytrace on Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

New track up: http://soundcloud.com/infinity-curve/get-to-the-truck

I would love some feedback.

And sorry Cools, I will get you the multi-track for the last one this weekend. Been busy working on this one.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

sounds great - the arps and leads are very nice
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Raytrace wrote:sounds great - the arps and leads are very nice
The arp and the solo part are the Phatty. K Station on pad duty, Blofeld on bass and the eerie backing lead/melody.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Already have an idea for the next track, probably flesh it out this weekend.
Raytrace

Post by Raytrace »

jonny5 wrote:
Raytrace wrote:sounds great - the arps and leads are very nice
The arp and the solo part are the Phatty. K Station on pad duty, Blofeld on bass and the eerie backing lead/melody.

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Already have an idea for the next track, probably flesh it out this weekend.
no probs at all man - sounds great :)