What [not shmup] game are you playing now?

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Ed Oscuro

Re: current games

Post by Ed Oscuro »

getbonus wrote:phantasy star 0, DS.
How is this?

Highly recommended, or kind of crap?
ZOM

Re: current games

Post by ZOM »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
How is this?

Yeah, I'm also interested in this.
getbonus

phantasy star 0

Post by getbonus »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
How is this?

i'm an unrepentant PSO addict (DC/GCN), but personally, i love it. it just about nails the feel of PSO. the simple, mindless, joyous hack and slash gameplay is fully intact. some great additions too; you can now strafe and dodge ( ! ), there are a few new weapon types and character classes (HUmarl and HUnewm), and many small and smart tweaks.

it is in some ways scaled back a bit from the console games -- there are, i believe, three difficulties rather than four; characters and mags both cap at 100; and the dungeons and enemy waves are noticeably smaller. still, i feel it is about the best PSO-style sequel they could have made on NDS.

others may disagree.
Last edited by getbonus on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

Sounds good, I'll watch a few more vids first but I might pick this one up after all.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

I played some Planet Harriers at the arcade yesterday. 8)
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Donkey Kong 94' and Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast). :arrow:
boagman

Post by boagman »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:I played some Planet Harriers at the arcade yesterday. 8)
::completely fails at hiding his jealousy::
themachinist

Post by themachinist »

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on Hard1. My first foray into the FE series. I'm liking it so far (I think I'm almost done) and I'm planning to check out the other games in the series.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Apart from Trizeal, I'm mostly playing RPGs: Phantasy Star Portable, Valkyria Chronicles, Eternal Sonata, and some others.
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

SUIKODEN TIERKREIS on DS - good game, bad Suikoden and very annoying VA.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Quake Live, Tetris TGM 1 and 2.
Neon

Post by Neon »

I'm playing Third Strike on GGPO under the name goatcheese

I've only put a few hours into the game, come beat the shit out of me
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle [GC], and Pikmin [GC].
The Pikmin bad end is disturbing, and beating up a Chao is *fun*.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
escadrille

Post by escadrille »

The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai. Enjoying this quite a bit. Only one acheivement to go.

Also some SFIV
mortified_penguin

Post by mortified_penguin »

Deus Ex for the millionth time.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

Team Fortress 2 (PC)
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
Alec

Post by Alec »

Assassin's Creed (just beat it yesterday)
Pac-Man CE
Marvel VS Capcom 2
Demon Front
Street Fighter IV
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

fear-ps3
bust a move
shock troopers
neo drift out
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Samurai Shodown Anthology
Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord
Golvellius: Valley of Doom

(the last two courtesy of a trip to the flea market over the weekend)
croikle

Post by croikle »

A little Heboris (TGM-style tetris). Still only getting to rank 2 or so in G1.
SockPuppetHyren

Post by SockPuppetHyren »

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

Too many humanoid enemies (I miss the wildlife), too much handholding, too little exploration; and yet it's still slightly enjoyable.
PainAmplifier

Post by PainAmplifier »

I've been in a bit of a gaming funk lately, where nothing in my library was entertaining me. So deciding to splurge a little bit, I went out and bought LittleBigPlanet for my PS3.

It's been just the thing to lift my mood somewhat. Even if some of the hard to get items and difficult levels (aka The Bunker) haven't done my blood pressure all that much good though. ^^

When I picking the game up though, the young lady on the register at Best Buy commented that it was a "cute" game. And while I agree with that sentiment somewhat, it hit me at the time and I replied: "Yes, but it's not Nintendo Cute."

It's like comparing a classic Disney movie like "Bambi" to something like "My Little Pony". One is 'cute' for the whole family...and the other is only cute to little children and people blinded by the color pink.

I think the game selection I saw while I was there, for the three main 'current generation' game systems illustrates this. The rack of Wii games was overwhelming loaded with bright, colorful and overwhelmingly 'child friendly'/casual games. I really only noted two 'older' gamer titles, one of which was Madworld. The 360 section seemed to be mostly filled with 'teen angst' games, like Saints Row and Gears of War and almost no 'family friendly' games other than perhaps Rockband/Guitar Hero and Viva Pinata. While the PS3 area seemed to have the most 'balance' to it. With games that covered more age/maturity and gameplay style ranges than the other two.

Say what you will about the PS3's cost and architecture, but it the future of the PS3 is looking more and more like that of the PSP...slow start, but everything just gets better with age.
Arasoi

Post by Arasoi »

Exerion for Sega MK1000/3000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyPBW-qXR0k

Thats not a shmup... right?

*bricked*

Okay. I played some Black Tiger too =)
sjewkestheloon

Post by sjewkestheloon »

I've been destroying Oblivion. I've played through a few times already but never concentrated on efficient leveling or any type of completionist aim.

I'm now lvl 30 with all attributes maxed except Speed at 90 and Luck at around 70ish. Made mistakes early on making it nigh on impossible to max my Luck but I'm not concerned about that too much.

So far I've cleared Fighters and Mages Guild, the Arena and Dark Brotherhood. I've done a stash of other random missions and a bunch of forced leveling in random loot dungeons.

I have 4 Master skills and the rest are mostly Expert level, nothing below Journeyman.

I've just entered Shivering Isles and I'm going to complete every possible quest in there as well as making many suits of armor for my collection.

I've also been doing a lot of enchanting in an attempt to make various uber suits that I can switch out at will to change the play experience. This is the first time I've ever enchanted anything so it's all new and fresh. So far I've made a 100% Chameleon (sp?) Glass suit for causing havok in the cities, and I'm working on a Deadric suit of Fortify Magicka. Every piece is enchanted with a Grand Soul at least and I'm slowely replacing those pieces with Transcendant Sigil Stones as I aquire them.

Even though my Magicka stat is 200 natively, I should be able to boost it by 450 using this method.

Lots and lots to do.

Any other Elder Scrolls addicts? As soon as I'm done with this I'm going to reinstall Morrowind GOTY and play that again.
Number of 1cc's : 5
Now playing: Gunbird
ZOM

Post by ZOM »

The Coop wrote:Samurai Shodown Anthology
Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord
Golvellius: Valley of Doom

(the last two courtesy of a trip to the flea market over the weekend)
Cool! I like Golvellius, nifty little game it is.
Davey

Post by Davey »

croikle wrote:A little Heboris (TGM-style tetris). Still only getting to rank 2 or so in G1.
I take it you're playing in Master mode? Try out 20G or Devil mode for a while. They're hardcore kicks to the ass but they'll sharpen your skills quickly.
FRO

Post by FRO »

Currently working on Bomberman PSP.
kengou

Post by kengou »

Just started Snatcher on the Sega CD (emulator) today. What a great game. Now I seriously need to play Policenauts. Interactive fiction seems the genre where Kojima is most suited, because he tells a great story and you're just along for the ride.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Almost beat Digital devil saga 1 on the PS2, Easily one of the best rpgs I have ever played. I have had the sequel unplayed on a shelf for over a year, can't wait to import the cleared dds1 save file!

Slowly working my way up the karma tower, killed that dragon vasuki guy in the sea of milk, awesome bosses.
Vidi Vici Veni
Marshall banana

Post by Marshall banana »

My goal is to finish FFIX this week, because I keep thinking about Etrian Odyssey II.