NTSC-J Xbox 360 owner's manual

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Elixir

Re: Guide to owning a Japanese 360

Post by Elixir »

Egg wrote:do I always need to be connected online whenever I want to play them
Only if they're XNA/Indie titles, everything else can be downloaded and played offline. Though it's good to connect every few weeks to check for updates on retail games, which will download automatically regardless of your region.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Ichabod wrote:
bcass wrote:they will send you a PAL machine back. Not ideal, but you can just sell it on to fund another JPN model.
Fair point except:
Cheapest UK Arcade in uk=£99
Cheapest JAP Arcade in uk=£300 ! :(
Where can you get an Arcade for £99? I thought Microsoft recently increased the UK prices?
Ichabod

Post by Ichabod »

bcass wrote:
Ichabod wrote:
bcass wrote:they will send you a PAL machine back. Not ideal, but you can just sell it on to fund another JPN model.
Fair point except:
Cheapest UK Arcade in uk=£99
Cheapest JAP Arcade in uk=£300 ! :(
Where can you get an Arcade for £99? I thought Microsoft recently increased the UK prices?
Well Comet were, but that may've expired. Point being, UK console worth much less than cost of Jap console [sadly]
Muzza

Post by Muzza »

Hooked up my JAP 360 through HDMI, but can't get the sound to pass through my optical cable to my receiver then speakers.

Tried messing with audio options in system settings, but sound still goes through HDMi to my tv speakers,

Anyone else had this problem, otherwise I'll have to switch back to VGA.

EDIT: Solved... Just turned the TV speakers off in HDMI Mode.
Ichabod

Post by Ichabod »

Now that it seems clear the official MS policy is region specific warranty repairs only, AND that PA won't confirm their consoles are Jaspers, I think this idea will have to be shelved. Knowing the consoles longevity issues, a money pit is the last thing I need!
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Have Microsoft now IP locked foreign gamer profiles? I just turned on my UK machine and tried to sign in to my Japanese gamertag and it prompted me to change my Windows Live ID. I attempted to put in my .co.jp hotmail address and it said it could not create a Windows Live ID from that domain. It does the same thing with my US account now too.

Where does this leave me with buying Japanese DLC now? I just bought some Japanese MS Points and was going to buy the Mushihimesama Futari theme and now I can't access it. Any ideas?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Rupert H wrote:Have Microsoft now IP locked foreign gamer profiles? I just turned on my UK machine and tried to sign in to my Japanese gamertag and it prompted me to change my Windows Live ID. I attempted to put in my .co.jp hotmail address and it said it could not create a Windows Live ID from that domain. It does the same thing with my US account now too.

Where does this leave me with buying Japanese DLC now? I just bought some Japanese MS Points and was going to buy the Mushihimesama Futari theme and now I can't access it. Any ideas?
This is indeed disturbing. Let's hope it's just a glitch.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
bcass

Post by bcass »

No problems here using a JPN gamertag on a JPN 360 in the UK.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

How strange. I'm still getting the same thing. The Japanese hotmail account still works and my UK account signs in just fine.

Maybe they have changed it so that accounts can only be accessed on a machine from the same region. I have a Hong Kong 360 which plays Japanese games and I can't sign into my Japanese account on that either. Maybe I need a Japanese machine. :(

Is anybody else having trouble signing into a gamertag on a machine with a different region?
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Just tested my UK account on my Hong Kong machine and it signs in fine, so it can't be a simple matter of gamertags having to match the region of the machine. Perhaps a combination of this and IP address?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Everything works fine here. Then again, I'm not in the UK.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
E. Randy Dupre

Post by E. Randy Dupre »

I am. I can still log into my Japanese Silver account on my PAL machine with no problems.
Rupert H

Post by Rupert H »

Crisis averted. It turns out that Windows Live IDs from a certain time expire and when I went to re-enter it, I accidentally put ".co.jp" on the end of my Japanese hotmail address when it should have been ".co.uk". :roll:

Thanks for the replies though.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

When I logged my J360 today I got a pretty sizeable update to the system. I can't tell what it did however...
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

brentsg wrote:When I logged my J360 today I got a pretty sizeable update to the system. I can't tell what it did however...
http://kotaku.com/5365854/firmware-update-hits-the-360
:lol:
Scrub

Post by Scrub »

Just downloaded Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and all the menus are in katakana.
How do I fix? My system is Japanese but is set to english language and USA locale.

I realize this is slightly off topic, but I figure someone here might know and I don't know where else to put it.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Scrub wrote:Just downloaded Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and all the menus are in katakana.
How do I fix? My system is Japanese but is set to english language and USA locale.

I realize this is slightly off topic, but I figure someone here might know and I don't know where else to put it.
You can't.

Scrub

Post by Scrub »

Elixir wrote:
Scrub wrote:Just downloaded Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and all the menus are in katakana.

You can't.
FFFFUUUUUUUU-
oh well. I should learn to read katakana anyway. Thanks for answering. Does this happen for other XBLA games?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Maybe Megaman 9. Unsure. Probably other Capcom shit. I know Bionic Commando does this too. Thankfully, Japanese is not that much of a problem for me.

But this means that it developers with XBLA titles can detect your console's region. I hope things like this are about as far as they go with it, if you know what I mean.

Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Elixir wrote:Maybe Megaman 9. Unsure. Probably other Capcom shit. I know Bionic Commando does this too. Thankfully, Japanese is not that much of a problem for me.

But this means that it developers with XBLA titles can detect your console's region. I hope things like this are about as far as they go with it, if you know what I mean.
Yep, MM9 does this too and shows up as Rockman. Luckily all the important menus are in english anyway and the japanese language is mostly restricted to the story scenes.

Bionic Commando Rearmed has the title in japanese but all the rest is in english.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
bcass

Post by bcass »

You need a slap if you're playing the 360 version of MM9 anyway. The Wii version is the only version of that game people should be playing.
Ichabod

Post by Ichabod »

Despite much indecision, I did opt for the the jap360 in the end. Nothing really further to add information wise to this thread though. I was however inaccurate about the Jap box's serial no. window.There indeed isn't one as PA suggested - so no obvious way to predetermine which model you'd get from them.
Depth Charge

Post by Depth Charge »

I'm pretty sure all the one's sent from PA now are Jaspers. It says on the site 256mb onboard, which means Jasper as far as I know.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Edited a whole bunch of things. Eventually I'll get around to making a shorter version of the Japanese account process...

Castor Krieg

Post by Castor Krieg »

Question about first info in the OP: you can't flash X360 PAL to make it region-free?!? How come?
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Because flashing only allows you to play burned games of your own region.

Even if other ways exist, I don't care. Please keep it out of this thread.

bcass

Post by bcass »

Ichabod wrote:Despite much indecision, I did opt for the the jap360 in the end. Nothing really further to add information wise to this thread though. I was however inaccurate about the Jap box's serial no. window.There indeed isn't one as PA suggested - so no obvious way to predetermine which model you'd get from them.
My JPN Jasper came in a box with a window to view the serial number.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Elixir wrote:Because flashing only allows you to play burned games of your own region.
That's not strictly true. Flashing the console to change region and flashing the DVD drive to play copies are two different things. Flashing the console itself is no easy task though, and it will almost certainly get you banned from Live at some point, so isn't really a viable option at this point in time.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

bcass wrote:
Elixir wrote:Because flashing only allows you to play burned games of your own region.
That's not strictly true. Flashing the console to change region and flashing the DVD drive to play copies are two different things. Flashing the console itself is no easy task though, and it will almost certainly get you banned from Live at some point, so isn't really a viable option at this point in time.
I tried flashing my console, but my girlfriend keeps screaming "put your pants back on" each and every time. I have to agree with Elixir, flash talk ain't as fun as trash talk.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ichabod

Post by Ichabod »

bcass wrote:
Ichabod wrote:Despite much indecision, I did opt for the the jap360 in the end. Nothing really further to add information wise to this thread though. I was however inaccurate about the Jap box's serial no. window.There indeed isn't one as PA suggested - so no obvious way to predetermine which model you'd get from them.
My JPN Jasper came in a box with a window to view the serial number.
Fair enough. I'm just saying they're obviously not all like that. This was a few weeks ago, perhaps there's a newer box design.