Rob Xoxak Pro Review + Chad Warden's Protege + YouTube Fun

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Rob wrote: Looks like croikle has you covered on the replay.
Yes :)
StoofooEsq

Post by StoofooEsq »

Spot-on. That review reminding me of all the things I disliked about TF6 killed any remaining desire I had to play it again (3 weeks since I last touched it).

Rob, how long did it take for you to decide upon selling your copy?
Rob

Post by Rob »

I played it a lot the weekend I got it, so that weekend. :lol:

Cleared it on maniac with Rynex within a day and the scoring system is junk, so not much to keep me going back. As easy as they can be, other TFs are fun to replay every year or two because they each have their own style... while this game is trying to be those games. What's the point? But I did enjoy it a lot for a short period (more than expected). Best thing going for the game is the soundtrack and don't need a PS2 for MP3s.
captpain

Post by captpain »

Rob, do you like Garegga?
Rob

Post by Rob »

I fear it. Maybe a little too strategy board-oriented for me, since I like to figure things out for myself. Too long. Batrider is more my speed.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

People who dislike Batrider must be soft in the head.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Rob wrote:I fear it. Maybe a little too strategy board-oriented for me, since I like to figure things out for myself. Too long. Batrider is more my speed.
I haven't put much time in Garegga, but I think it would be the other way around, considering the amount of hidden stuff you have to trigger to get a decent score in Batrider.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Rob

Post by Rob »

After ignoring the secret bosses and I do. One part I don't like since switching between different ships is awkward. I think I have a decent score and all of the bombing stuff is easy to remember.
escadrille

Post by escadrille »

Frederik wrote:People who dislike Batrider must be soft in the head.
I generally don't like Raizing, but Batrider is among my favourites. Definately their best IMO.

Rob, in what game does the infamous Dust Dragon appear?
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Forgotten Worlds.
escadrille

Post by escadrille »

Mortificator wrote:Forgotten Worlds.
Thought so. Never actually had a chance to play through it.
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

Acid King wrote:
Rob wrote:I fear it. Maybe a little too strategy board-oriented for me, since I like to figure things out for myself. Too long. Batrider is more my speed.
I haven't put much time in Garegga, but I think it would be the other way around, considering the amount of hidden stuff you have to trigger to get a decent score in Batrider.
Well, in Garegga you have to keep a lot of stuff in mind just to keep the game from getting impossilbe later on. In Batrider, it gets as complicated as you want it to. You can easily just breeze through it with one ship, collect medals and bomb in the right places and get a solid score, but you can also make fine-tuned team edit with each ship having different selection types to trigger all bosses and have the right ship for each situation.

Batrider is a game with very fun scoring, but doesn´t really absolutely NEED the scoring to be fun. Sometimes I don´t feel like aura-bombing all these signs in stage 1 but still do some other scoring stuff later on. I guess it has something to do with your points coming from all sorts of things, not just ONE mechanic where you can fuck up once and your run is basically over. That is, if you don´t aim for the world record each time you play. Sometimes during a relaxed run just to fool around I even start medal chains in the middle of the run just for the heck of it.

That reminds me, I really need to play this more again...
FIL

Post by FIL »

I find medal chaining is a natural instinct anyway, see the shiny and grab it.

Batrider is just a really good game no matter how you play it, tee ball or home run derby, its all good.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Batrider is less exacting with rank management from what I can tell. I love having a set amount of lives and trying to keep it down to 2 gave me a little buffer zone. Like if I lost a ship that I was going to kamikaze anyways. Maybe not ideal but also no major loss.

I had to read the general discussion thread about Batrider before I got into it, but I never had to return to it. The feeling I get is that I would have to use a Garegga guide as a more constant reference. I need to give Garegga a real try someday, though.

Also, you can shoot constantly without the game telling you that you are a retard. This and this
Frederik wrote:Batrider is a game with very fun scoring, but doesn´t really absolutely NEED the scoring to be fun.
FIL wrote:Batrider is just a really good game no matter how you play it, tee ball or home run derby, its all good.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Rob wrote:The feeling I get is that I would have to use a Garegga guide as a more constant reference.
Depends on how nitty-gritty you want to get - if you just want a general idea of what you want to keep doing or not doing, then one or two glances over the relevant sections should set you on your way, you don't need to memorize all the exact numbers. Believe me, the game is FAR less intimidating once its basic setup and inner workings are no longer a mystery (as I've said before, I believe that Raizing's shooters, particularly this one, would have been far more popular if the company had made more of an effort to give players the information they need to succeed, rather than making them guess). If you're looking to exploit every last scoring opportunity, though, you'll need to do a bit more reading.
Zuhzuhzombie!!

Post by Zuhzuhzombie!! »

How's about a Darius Gaiden review?
Short Forest Records: Records, pictures, blog.
My (old) band: Cicada Creek
Rob

Post by Rob »

Not really in the mood to review old crap that people can just emulate, or anything that I don't have much to say about. Darius is both of those things and not worthy. I like talking about games with scoring systems, since that is the first thing people usually ignore.

WRITTEN REVIEW of the entire Darius series.

Good idea in theory: branching paths. Bad idea in theory and execution: everything else about Darius. But they do have nice soundtracks and box art (typically, don't look at NTSC-U/C G Darius). G Darius also has awesome laser battles and they make the controller rumble!

I might do this Fantasy Zone remake for the PS2.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Rob wrote:WRITTEN REVIEW of the entire Darius series.

Good idea in theory: branching paths. Bad idea in theory and execution: everything else about Darius. But they do have nice soundtracks and box art (typically, don't look at NTSC-U/C G Darius). G Darius also has awesome laser battles and they make the controller rumble!
Spot on!
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

scoring in batrider is far, far harder than scoring in garegga

essentially one-lifing a game is not a concept i enjoy very much (see playing for score in border down)
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Zuhzuhzombie!!

Post by Zuhzuhzombie!! »

Not really in the mood to review old crap that people can just emulate, or anything that I don't have much to say about. Darius is both of those things and not worthy. I like talking about games with scoring systems, since that is the first thing people usually ignore.
Fair enough.

How about Omega 5 then?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Just send those Microsoft Points my way. :o
Zuhzuhzombie!!

Post by Zuhzuhzombie!! »

What's your live tag?
Rob

Post by Rob »

nash ak (was going to be same as 'tube but not so long, boring story).
dmauro

Post by dmauro »

Oh man, as a big fan of Omega Five, I'm psyched if that XBL points transfer is actually going down :D
Rob

Post by Rob »

dmauro wrote:a big fan of Omega Five,
Never imagined there were any. :shock: Seriously, tried the demo and it wasn't as bad as I expected, or bad at all. Hard to tell since it was so short. Not sure transferring MS pts is possible, but right now I have a measly, unusable 200.
Zuhzuhzombie!!

Post by Zuhzuhzombie!! »

dmauro wrote:Oh man, as a big fan of Omega Five, I'm psyched if that XBL points transfer is actually going down :D
'Tis the season.

Just gotta get around to using the ole Xbox.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

I found omega five very easy on normal difficulty and that it turns into an annoying memorizer on ++ difficulty(the game obviously wasn't designed for this mode).
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Zaarock wrote:I found omega five very easy on normal difficulty and that it turns into an annoying memorizer on ++ difficulty(the game obviously wasn't designed for this mode).
I disagree, dude. You can mash that dodge button all day. If you're timing's good, you can hop around the screen multiple times in a row and remain invincible.

I like this game too. It's different than what I'm used to.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

*coughreviewhomurapleasecough*
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Love your videos so far, Rob.

Since you brought up scoring systems, Iridion 2 might make a good next stop, with its accuracy bonuses and charged shots, as well as the ship's massive hitbox.