STGT 2k6- Week #3 Star Force

Edge

Post by Edge »

Congrats, Shatterhand.
Hehe, Team Old Schoolers are really living up to their name. :)

And I still couldn't blast that egyptian bitch, well let's see if I can't get their on my final tries. (Knowing this are my last chances usually help to be more focused on the game when playing.)

EDIT:

Still missing players on:

-California Dudez (2 players)
-Team Cowboy (2 players)
-Underdogs (1 player)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Icarus wrote: Not likely. The game is already in the Recycle Bin.
I wouldn't play this game for that long anyway. I'd end up putting my fist through the monitor in irritation, thats how much I loathe the game now.

And its a rare for a game to make me want to do that.
So why did your entire team vote for this?

The Cleopatra bonus should've been mentioned beforehand. That was utterly stupid.

Looks like cigs bailed out early. Good for him.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Rob wrote:1) So why did your entire team vote for this?
2) The Cleopatra bonus should've been mentioned beforehand. That was utterly stupid.
1) We found it more bearable than Section Z, at least. Personally I would have preferred Time Pilot '84, but it wasn't anywhere near winning the vote, and the rest of us weren't exactly thrilled by the selection, so we decided to vote for the game that was somewhat okay to play.

Like I said in the main thread, you either gain an appreciation of the game played, or you learn to loathe it.

2) None of us knew before the start of the playing week.

Meh, whatever. We tried at least, and I'm happy with whereever I place.
javel

Post by javel »

Javel - Team Sweden - 843,400 - 11 (MAME)
Rob

Post by Rob »

Icarus wrote:2) None of us knew before the start of the playing week.
Someone shoulda. To get included in the poll, a little investigation into scoring mechanisms is good. Kinda like how Gun.Smoke got discarded for legitimate boss milking. Ahh.

Just a few hours of this game today made me so bitter, can you tell? :o
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

You're still playing it? Glutton for punishment.

Batrider is running at the moment to drive the rank down to minimum. Normal (7mil+), Advanced (12mil+) and Special targets will fall this week. I've wasted too much time on Star Force already. ^_-
Jck

Post by Jck »

Jck - Bargigga Team - 379,400 - ? - (MAME)
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

oh dear didnt play much

DC906270 - 250,700 - Underdogs
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Randorama - 1,201,100 - 18 (chi?) MAME

Meh to Cowboy team :x

And meh to autofire, it kept giving me problems, dammit.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Edge

Post by Edge »

Edge - Team Germany - 1'699'200 - 10 (MAME)

This run wasn't so good. However finally got that cleopatra, yay. :)

Still time to improve it... :P
zakk

Post by zakk »

Zakk - Team Cowboy - 263,200 - stage 5
Randorama wrote: Meh to Cowboy team :x

I couldn't play this game more than about 3 times in any one sitting. It's the first game where if given the choice between doing work or playing, I'd do work. The true winner this week is my place of employment.
Sword

Post by Sword »

EDIT:
Heh, a lucky last run..

Sword - Team Stranger - 387.100 - 7
CIT

Post by CIT »

CIT - Germany - 1,861,500 - 12

Died the second after I got the Cleopatra Bonus (after about 12 grueling attempts). :lol:
sven666

Post by sven666 »

heh.. i placed 11th :? thought my score was pretty good.. guess not.. :?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Just to confirm that I knew about the auto-fire restriction :)

And its not like I played this for just a week, I already knew the game, it was a favourite one in my MSX1 library :) . When I begun using Mame, I had played it a fair amount of times for nostalgic reasons... one interesting thing Mame made for me was to be able to play some games that otherwise I only knew the MSX version and go like "Wow, the original arcade game was so much more cool! " :D
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Super Laydock - Team Stranger -637,500 - K 10 (MAME - autofire delay 5)

Actually was not in the mood to play much this week, so thought I'd have a last minute real try.
Guess I have about 40 minutes to better that :?
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Edge

Post by Edge »

Week is Over, no more scores!

I am going to post the results tomorrow, I'll be busy today.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

zakk wrote: I couldn't play this game more than about 3 times in any one sitting. It's the first game where if given the choice between doing work or playing, I'd do work. The true winner this week is my place of employment.
Ouch, sorry then. I should hunt down someone else though :?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

need more free time plz
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Without Cleopatra there, I fear the strategy of the game may have been more primarly focused on not killing the bosses (final stars) to keep the stage count low..which then freddiebamboo would be in 4th place.

I think I woulda been more pissed off if I were playin' for 20 minutes intentionally camping out in stage 3 with no end or real in-game goal in sight.

At least this game allowed for multiple strategies...and a really really tense moment where ya jumped for friggin' joy and cracked a beer when ya finally did it.

..doesn't change the fact _bnu is still right. :lol:

Code: Select all

8.Gion               Team Stranger        2'087'600    14    (MAME) 
9.mulletgeezer       namakoteam           2'087'300    14 
OHHH!! That SUCKS!! :lol::lol::lol:
Rob

Post by Rob »

Icarus wrote:You [were] still playing it? Glutton for punishment.
Hell no!
OHHH!! That SUCKS!!
Eh, there's about 8 people ahead of me thanks to Cleopatra bonus only being triggered on mediocre games (I'm sure this goes for all players in the Cleopatra-limbo area, where a sub-2m score depends on it for chart placement). Maybe I missed the strategy in it. But it's all over now, thank God.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Rob wrote:Eh, there's about 8 people ahead of me thanks to Cleopatra bonus only being triggered on mediocre games (I'm sure this goes for all players in the Cleopatra-limbo area, where a sub-2m score depends on it for chart placement). Maybe I missed the strategy in it. But it's all over now, thank God.
Funnily enough, I found it easier to get to the Cleo by boss-skipping. However, you always score lower as a result of boss-skipping, around 250k lost. I've actually been further than "stage 13" on a boss skipping run, looping all the way back to the long double column of Great Bonuses in one credit. Missed the Cleo though, ended with about 1.2mil. -_-;;
Rob

Post by Rob »

Pretty much my only hope for the bonus was getting the "midboss" to appear, or even better, the fossil to appear just before the stage cutoff. The cube enemies were also good.

One thing that really screwed up the potential enemy placement strategizing was the iffy checkpoint system. So many times I got set back 1-2 minutes of map progression... Repeatedly.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Rob wrote:One thing that really screwed up the potential enemy placement strategizing was the iffy checkpoint system. So many times I got set back 1-2 minutes of map progression... Repeatedly.
Yeah, the checkpoint system is quite strange. Most of the time it sends you backwards through the level (which is to be expected), but it throws you forward through the enemy formations to the next wave to appear. Meaning if you want to try and place the formations properly to allow access to the 80k and Cleo, you have to stall every formation that appears for at least a couple of seconds, which is easier said than done.

I actually had a great strategy all mapped out to allow access to at least 2x 80k and the Cleo, but it was always some pointblank death or magic speeding bullet that got me just before the 80k sets, messing it all up completely.

The best enemies for the Cleo were the splitter cubes (the ones that split in half when shot). Getting one to chase you up to the Cleo was the best way to ensure the Cleo was bagged. The exploding blocks (the ones that spray four rocks when shot) weren't as good as the rocks that were sprayed out absorbed bullets.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

First off, congrats to Team Old Schoolers. We did some butt kicking :D

Now, I feel the need to address something that's been bothering me since early this morning. Perhaps this would be better done via PM, but...

Over the course of this contest thus far, I've been guilty of something that I should not have been. That being, neglecting in aiding my fellow team mates. Back when we first started playing Blazing Star, Shatterhand and I shared some strategies about the special rainbow icon. Sadly, that was the last bit of info I shared with any of my team mates.

See, in the few forums I've gone to, and in the few gaming competitions I've taken part in (nothing major, just get togethers), it was every man for himself. Nothing was shared, nothing was discussed, and asking someone about a given game only got you a cold stare or the roll of their eyes. I learned quickly to just play the game, and figure things out on my own. I never took part in a team, because frankly, there were no teams. It was me and "them". That was it. It seems this mentality, isn't easily put aside.

Over the course of playing Star Force, I figured out some things about the game, that I think would have helped my other team mates. Perhaps they figured them out too, perhaps not. But the fact that it never occurred to me to at least offer the info, bothers me. Not once did I think "OH! That's how it works. I gotta tell the guys!". And you know what? I feel damn guilty about that. I was continuing to think in a "me against them" way, when there were people with whom I was on the same side. I can't help but feel that I let them down, and didn't do my part as a team player. For this, I can only apologize, and ask for forgiveness from the other Old Schoolers.

Though it's far too late for this competition, I intend to fix this. Regardless of what games are yet to come, I'll do my best to offer up what I figure out and find. I'll do my best to make sure that I don't act as a single member, but as part of a group. It's been said that old habits die hard, and this does indeed seem to be the case.

Again, I offer my apologies to my fellow team mates for my lack of contributing in tactics and strategies, and I hope to be of a lot more help in the future.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

No problems :)

I shared a lot of info about Blazing Star, and asked for help a lot between our teammates. I felt like the "Information trader" of our teams, gathering info from a player and then spreading to all players of our team. And I also translated the info to coffeejoerx, as his english is far from perfect :)

I think Batrider had a lot of info widely available. I could have made this job for our team again, but I didn't. I also didn't have much to share, as my score shows :D

We could have shared some info about Star Force too. Herr Schatten told me very late on the week about the boss skipping strategy (something I hadn't think about it), though I ended up not using it at all (Didn't get one single boss skip the entire week :D)

We still have 3 weeks left, I bet we can catch namako team now that we are in a roll........ :)
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Rob wrote: Eh, there's about 8 people ahead of me thanks to Cleopatra bonus only being triggered on mediocre games (I'm sure this goes for all players in the Cleopatra-limbo area, where a sub-2m score depends on it for chart placement). Maybe I missed the strategy in it. But it's all over now, thank God.
We should have just banned the Cleopatra Bonus, and while everyone will say that's stupid, consider that it has nothing to do with skill and is based on dumb luck. Just look how many people wouldn't even have broke a million without it, that's proof enough it ruined an already "borken" game.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Nemo, you should've played it in MAME. Let this be a lesson. A -2 drop for the team type.

FEKA: vote for the same game next time. Let's have a discussion.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Rob wrote:Nemo, you should've played it in MAME. Let this be a lesson. A -2 drop for the team type.
FEKA: vote for the same game next time. Let's have a discussion.
Now you see why team communication is so important. ^_-
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'll be sending out my voting instructions soon. ;) Then back to not communicating.