Fudoh's ode to old display technology

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
geekmiki

Re: Fudoh's ode to old display technology

Post by geekmiki »

Fudoh wrote:
But it's still weird if the loop outputs are auto terminated. It should be fine. Just to make sure, everything's set correctly ? The standard setting for the board is certainly YPbPr and not RGB.
EDIT: Problem solved, cable from RGC is the culprit!

Thanks to all that have helped!
NyMartin

Post by NyMartin »

I finally got my bvm20f1u to work well. The SCART cable I got was defective. Now my next question is if anyone can share their ideal Alignment settings for RGB for Genesis or SNES? I have trouble getting it aligned.
Xan

Post by Xan »

Just use the grid pattern in the 240p suite.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Marion looks like a cross-dressing dude in that pic.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Heads-up for anybody in the New York City area - somebody's listed not one but TWO BVM-D32s on eBay, listed at $50 last I looked. Seller won't ship and didn't give any response on other details (there's no pictures of the units in action, no hours count) but if you're around that area these could be a real steal.
Mishrak109

Post by Mishrak109 »

I saw those earlier in the week and wished I was in New York. If those test out OK that's one heck of a deal.
NyMartin

Post by NyMartin »

Xan wrote:Just use the grid pattern in the 240p suite.
Thanks how do I get that on the screen?
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Arent those BVM-D32 LCDs?
I mean they still are really nice monitors and at that price they are a steal.

And for the people in the portland/salem area, there is an add on craigslist for a pvm2030.
I know it's not that good of a deal like that bvm, but it's an rgb monitor in an area that seems devoid of them.
Xan

Post by Xan »

NyMartin wrote:
Xan wrote:Just use the grid pattern in the 240p suite.
Thanks how do I get that on the screen?
Here's the thread with all the available versions: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35554

The easiest one to use is the Wii version because it requires no extra hardware, just a Wii with installed homebrew channel. The SNES/Genesis ones will be more accurate for those consoles but need flash cards.
lui

Post by lui »

How would I wire ground for a female JP 21 scart connector?
Going from this http://i61.tinypic.com/2nls1h0.jpg image sourced from assembler games, I'm assuming I need to wire every ground pin together in a chain, but where is the ground line on my coaxial cable I've received?
Unless I'm misunderstanding and its the actual shielding of the cable that you need to wire to the ground pins?

Monstermug

Post by Monstermug »

If ur planning on making a bnc to scart cable that's the wrong type of cable. You really need the 6 core mini coax cables. RG59 is way to large. But yes you can use the shielding for ground.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

tacoguy64 wrote:Arent those BVM-D32 LCDs?
No, they're bigass CRTs.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

I bet they are heavier than a mother, and will requite two guys to move the thing. I would like to see how this BVM compares in picture quality to its smaller sized variants. And also how they would compare to bigger size monitors like the NEC and Mitsubishi models.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Rob at Retrogamingcables is trying to collect data on which PVMs accept only clean sync and which accept composite video for sync, can anyone help out by letting us know which type of sync your PVM/BVM accepts?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
Skips

Post by Skips »

tacoguy64 wrote:I bet they are heavier than a mother, and will requite two guys to move the thing. I would like to see how this BVM compares in picture quality to its smaller sized variants. And also how they would compare to bigger size monitors like the NEC and Mitsubishi models.
They are literally one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) crt's ever made. Picture quality they stomp the shit out of the NEC and Mitsubishi monitors. They weigh a bit over 200lbs if I remember correctly. I moved one for a friend locally, took two guys to move the bitch up stairs. NEVER FUCKING AGAIN will I do such a thing.

Despite being 16:9 and HD capable monitors they are still even better for 240p content than the XM29, Megaview, or PVM monitors. They do have a 4:3 mode which I think comes out to 25 inches viewable if I remember correctly. If you are looking for pixel perfect that monitor is as close as you are going to get with a CRT. I don't recommend it if you use CRT's for the retro feel though, its picture is so clean and accurate it does tend to look more like an LCD that handles SD content correctly than it does your classic lower resolution CRT.

Playing shit in HD on these things is as equally stunning. Got to play some Wii U on my buddies and it was like sex for my eyeballs in 1080i. 480p content also looks great. There is also a 25 inch version but I have not seen it in person. For 240p content it seems to look as good as the BVM-20F1U (phondork sent me some pics of it awhile ago) and also supports HD resolutions up to 1080i.
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

I have a BVM D20F1U and I will agree that the picture on that is the best I've ever seen. Just wanted to know if the bigger versions of it can keep the same quality. It's good to know that it can, because that picture on the BVM is so good. Though I'm not sure if it's worth upgrading from my current BVM set up.

And how did your buddy hook up a wii u to it? Does it have HDMI? Or was some sort of converter cable used?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Skips wrote:Despite being 16:9 and HD capable monitors they are still even better for 240p content than the XM29, Megaview, or PVM monitors.
Unless you get geometry problems, or an A model and try to run a Neo Geo signal to it, and find it won't sync.

I believe the NEC XM and Mitsubishi MegaView models are true multisyncs, which means that the BVM just doesn't work with certain signals.

Outside of those special cases I'd say the D32 is probably a massive upgrade; the diagonal screen space for 4:3 content is essentially the same as a 27" 4:3 Trinitron. I'm just not at all clear on whether they actually last long-term. Additionally, if you're well-served by a 20" model, you might as well keep using that. I feel the D32/A32 are rare enough that they're probably worth saving for high-rez 16:9 content. Even for multiplayer 480i content you can easily do with a consumer Wega. Lower-rez 16:9 content should do fine on the corresponding Wegas or similar sets from other makers, if you can find them. Up until rather recently I know my area was swimming in them.
Sgt.Wafer

Post by Sgt.Wafer »

I can confirm that the Panasonic BT-YA702P RGB/Component card works fine with my JVC DT-V1710CG monitor. Just make sure to set the sync to external from the setup menu.

But I noticed an issue when I tested my modded Atari 7800 through S-Video that didn't appear when I tried S-Video with my MSX.

Mishrak109

Post by Mishrak109 »

I'm not sure what the JVC model of RGB/Component input is called, but that Panasonic one seems to be mad expensive too. Do you know what the JVC one is called?

That looks fantastic though, minus the weird geometry.
Sgt.Wafer

Post by Sgt.Wafer »

They are as follows:

JVC RGB/Component is... IF-C01COMG

JVC S-Video/Composite is... IF-C01PNG

Panasonic RGB/Component is... BT-YA702P

Panasonic S-Video/Composite is... BT-YA701P
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

That looks gorgeous man. Does it do 1080p? I'd love to see a picture of Wipeout HD on that thing. Mario Galaxy at 480p would be really cool too.
Sgt.Wafer

Post by Sgt.Wafer »

BazookaBen wrote:That looks gorgeous man. Does it do 1080p? I'd love to see a picture of Wipeout HD on that thing. Mario Galaxy at 480p would be really cool too.
Sadly no but it dose do 1080i ~ 720p.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Sgt.Wafer wrote:
BazookaBen wrote:That looks gorgeous man. Does it do 1080p? I'd love to see a picture of Wipeout HD on that thing. Mario Galaxy at 480p would be really cool too.
Sadly no but it dose do 1080i ~ 720p.
That's cool, you could still get a 1080i shot. It's probably a really good monitor for 480p games too, since it probably doesn't have scanlines at that resolution. I know that my PC CRT has scanlines on 480p material, which actually isn't a good look for 3D games in my opinion.

Also, do you know if your monitor can display computer resolutions like 800x600 or 1280x960?
Sgt.Wafer

Post by Sgt.Wafer »

BazookaBen wrote: Also, do you know if your monitor can display computer resolutions like 800x600 or 1280x960?
Not according to the user manual, I think its because of it being a broadcasting monitor, it only supports broadcasting standards.
Monstermug

Post by Monstermug »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Skips wrote:Despite being 16:9 and HD capable monitors they are still even better for 240p content than the XM29, Megaview, or PVM monitors.
Unless you get geometry problems, or an A model and try to run a Neo Geo signal to it, and find it won't sync.

I believe the NEC XM and Mitsubishi MegaView models are true multisyncs, which means that the BVM just doesn't work with certain signals.

Outside of those special cases I'd say the D32 is probably a massive upgrade; the diagonal screen space for 4:3 content is essentially the same as a 27" 4:3 Trinitron. I'm just not at all clear on whether they actually last long-term. Additionally, if you're well-served by a 20" model, you might as well keep using that. I feel the D32/A32 are rare enough that they're probably worth saving for high-rez 16:9 content. Even for multiplayer 480i content you can easily do with a consumer Wega. Lower-rez 16:9 content should do fine on the corresponding Wegas or similar sets from other makers, if you can find them. Up until rather recently I know my area was swimming in them.
I've never had a problem with anything I've thrown at my BVM D24's. I had 5 of them at one point. It take sync signals from all pcbs, and consoles without a problem. Also I like the 16:9 aspect ratio. I find that where games supports 16:9 aspect ratio the D24 will automatically switch to 16:9 and 4:3, whereas a 4:3 CRT will either be 4:3 or 16:9 with boarders on the top and bottom instead of on the left and right when it comes to 4:3 on the D24. I know 4:3 bezel to replace the snap in bezel can be found but I've yet to seen these elusive accessories. I tend to use the D24 solely for 480p and 720p content but I can confirm picture for 240p content ,imo is better than what the BVM 20F1U can achieve.

Where it really shines is from component input. Beats the crap out of the pioneer PDP V402. (which I have a problem syncing signals from some of my toaplan pcbs if you don't mind me adding.)

If you never seen a gamecube, wii, xbox or ps2 played on a D24 then you are really missing out.

Only thing letting it down the D24 is the slightly noisy input card for HD content and the slightly slow initialisation time at startup. Also the weight. It weights a friggin ton. You wouldn't want to tate this beast. Oh and the price. It's still expensive as colourist still use it for HD content as apposed to the phased out SD on the F1U's.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I specifically said reports are the A model has the problem, not the D model. So e.g. a A20 would likely not be a great choice for a Neo Geo system.

Of course, with the other discussion about the Neo Geo, I think this might be limited to the Neo Geo MVS. AES should be fine with its NTSC timings.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I specifically said reports are the A model has the problem, not the D model. So e.g. a A20 would likely not be a great choice for a Neo Geo system.

Of course, with the other discussion about the Neo Geo, I think this might be limited to the Neo Geo MVS. AES should be fine with its NTSC timings.
Monstermug wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:

I've never had a problem with anything I've thrown at my BVM D24's. I had 5 of them at one point. It take sync signals from all pcbs, and consoles without a problem. Also I like the 16:9 aspect ratio. I find that where games supports 16:9 aspect ratio the D24 will automatically switch to 16:9 and 4:3, whereas a 4:3 CRT will either be 4:3 or 16:9 with boarders on the top and bottom instead of on the left and right when it comes to 4:3 on the D24. I know 4:3 bezel to replace the snap in bezel can be found but I've yet to seen these elusive accessories. I tend to use the D24 solely for 480p and 720p content but I can confirm picture for 240p content ,imo is better than what the BVM 20F1U can achieve.

Where it really shines is from component input. Beats the crap out of the pioneer PDP V402. (which I have a problem syncing signals from some of my toaplan pcbs if you don't mind me adding.)

If you never seen a gamecube, wii, xbox or ps2 played on a D24 then you are really missing out.

Only thing letting it down the D24 is the slightly noisy input card for HD content and the slightly slow initialisation time at startup. Also the weight. It weights a friggin ton. You wouldn't want to tate this beast. Oh and the price. It's still expensive as colourist still use it for HD content as apposed to the phased out SD on the F1U's.
I'm having sync issues on my BVM D20F1U when hooking up my Neo Geo AES. Not sure what it is but it seems that these monitors are a bit finicky when it comes to Neo Geo.

That JVC is looking quite nice. A good pick up if you can find the rgb card for it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Well, that's interesting. Home or arcade system? There are some techniques some CRTs use to provide "multisync" support for just a few frequencies, which can be beneficial in some ways but at the cost of multi-frequency compatibility. It's a bit like shifting gears. It does make sense that the D and A series would both have a similar design in this respect.

I thought somebody did say that they got the Neo Geo working with the D series. There might be some confusion about whether this means the unique MVS timings, or the home console.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

This would be the home system. From some of the threads I've read over the topic, it seems that these specific models of BVM just have problems when it comes to the Neo Geo.
Monstermug

Post by Monstermug »

I've never tried AES before but I didn't have a problem with MVS. That's assuming the D20F1U is anything like the D24W1E.

Anyway, I've managed to snap some photos of component on the D24 using a crappy S4 phone camera.

PS2 "Okami"

Gamecube via Nintendo component cable "Mario Kart Double Dash"

Original Xbox "Doom 3"

Nintendo Wii "Dewy's Adventure"

I must add that the picture hardly does it any justice. Colour and clarity is just staggering. I wouldn't attempt close up of 480p on any other device (which usually results in a blurr fess)