Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Udderdude

Re: Dodonpachi Saidaioujou

Post by Udderdude »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:
O. Van Bruce wrote:
There will be novice mode, wether you like or not.
I don't have an issue with novice mode. It won't help you in the normal modes anyway. I'm just saying if you want Cave to hold your hand and give the baby a free ride to the bosses over and over then the baby is the future x-wife of Dr.Trouserplank. And maybe the baby needs milk and rpg games.
That strawman is burning pretty bright.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:
O. Van Bruce wrote:
I don't have an issue with novice mode. It won't help you in the normal modes anyway. I'm just saying if you want Cave to hold your hand and give the baby a free ride to the bosses over and over then the baby is the future x-wife of Dr.Trouserplank. And maybe the baby needs milk and rpg games.
Buyer's remorse
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:
O. Van Bruce wrote:
I play most of the time Daifukkatsu novice and still, I can no-miss DOJ until the last stage...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSWTow1wUHQ

so I think that both things aren't incompatible.

PD: Nothing to do about scoring though.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Survival = no rank = easy DOJ = no fun
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

KAI wrote:Survival = no rank = easy DOJ = no fun
what's the difference

you can just die on bosses to drop the rank if you really want to and still play for score
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

DOJ is still fun for survival. So is DFK if you try not to spam Hypers.
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

You guys are all faggots. SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
moh

Post by moh »

Giest118 wrote:You guys are all faggots.
LOOK WHO'S LATE TO THE PARTY.
GaijinPunch wrote:Ketsui with suction cup.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

I just worry about the dairy companies is all. I don't think they will be able to homogenize enough milk for the cheat begs in this thread. You guys will break the teet. Of Cave breast milks.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Giest118 wrote:You guys are all faggots. SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
Finally, the truth.

And I also agree with you about SDOJ.
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Giest118 wrote:You guys are all faggots. SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
SDOJ emulation will also be great. :P
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
VixyNyan

Post by VixyNyan »

Giest118 wrote:SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
I need to signature this!! <3 <3
Rebecca Loveheart - Love & Snuggles~ <3
[ TrueAchievements | PSN Profile | Youtube | LiveStreaming ]
Giest118: SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
moh: play games. they're fun.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

SuperSoaker360 wrote:
SDOJ emulation will also be great. :P
No it won't, the slowdown will be really out of whack and terrible :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

trap15 wrote:No it won't, the slowdown will be really out of whack and terrible :)
I think CV1000B emulation will go down in history as the 21st century's greatest conspiracy.

shumps illuminati lol
Jaimers

Post by Jaimers »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:I just worry about the dairy companies is all. I don't think they will be able to homogenize enough milk for the cheat begs in this thread. You guys will break the teet. Of Cave breast milks.
I think you're posting in the wrong thread. Understandable though.
VixyNyan

Post by VixyNyan »

Hey, it could have been worse: The port could have grind achievements where you have to tediously kill a set amount of enemies, delete bullets or collect a set amount of items. ^^;
星を獲るひと10,003 (20)
星を獲るひと100,001 (30)
Pick up the requisite number of star items, this is cumulative across plays and will take some grinding to complete the second one
You get stars for bullets on screen when you earn a hyper, bullets on screen when a boss is destroyed, bullets on screen when using a normal bomb, etc.

撃墜王53,596 (20)
撃墜王200,000 (30)
Shoot down the requisite number of enemies, this is also cumulative across plays and will take some grinding to complete

コンボマスター (80)
Combo Master! 1,000,000 total hits, cumulative across plays, the ultimate grindfest achievement
Image Image Image Image Image
撃墜王26,798 (20)
Shoot down over 26,798 enemies
撃墜王53,596 (40)
Shoot down over 53,596 enemies

撃ち返し弾・初級 (10)
撃ち返し弾・中級 (15)
撃ち返し弾・上級 (20)
Lots of suicide bullets will appear in X-Mode when you kill enemies with shot while no cube chain is active. Even more will appear in the Omote and Ura loops for no reason other than spite and malice.
Get a cumulative total of 1280, 12,800, and 128,000 suicide bullets to appear, respectively.
聖霊マニア (10)
Turn a total of 10 million bullets into gems, cumulative across all plays
金塊マニア (10)
Turn a total of 10 million bullets into gold, cumulative across all plays
吐き出せ! (15)
Allow enemies to fire a total of 10 million bullets, cumulative across all plays

サディスティック・エリート (20)
Playing as Asagi, destroy a total of 5000 Asagi clones across all plays.
In a single run, about 300 pop up during the second half of Stage 6
反逆のアルケミスト (20)
Playing as Ageha, change a total of 100000 bullets into gold across all plays. Arcade/360/Novice only

Are just some examples, but you get the idea.
Rebecca Loveheart - Love & Snuggles~ <3
[ TrueAchievements | PSN Profile | Youtube | LiveStreaming ]
Giest118: SDOJ is great and the port will also be great.
moh: play games. they're fun.
O. Van Bruce
Location: On an alternate dimension... filled with bullets and moon runes...

Post by O. Van Bruce »

As it won't have it...

I bet we will have to get 5.000 big stars or something for an achievement...
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

"Anchovie unlocked" is almost never about skill, unfortunately.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

I hope we will have achievements such as "get 6+ hyper levels upon a single recharge" or "get rank to over 30 on a credit", or at least "get a chain of over 30000 hits". Something like "kill Inbachi in arcade mode" would be some quality trolling on Cave's part, though. The thing is virtually unkillable even if you flood it with credits. :D
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
trap15

Post by trap15 »

moozooh wrote:Something like "kill Inbachi in arcade mode" would be some quality trolling on Cave's part, though. The thing is virtually unkillable even if you flood it with credits. :D
Well we know how some people would get that anchovy :roll:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

Might prove to be a good Japanese superplayer XBL deanonymizer though.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

moozooh wrote:Amazingly educative kusoplay here
...And another one, this time with less cheesy tactics and more safety-oriented dodging:

http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm19400271
http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm19400433
http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm19400555

The player doesn't even bother scoring in any way at all here. Hypers are barely ever used until deep into stage 5. Rank is kept at around 2 for most of the game. It's a no-miss until Hibachi that results in a pretty confident 12 billion clear. I think I'll end up making a point out of reaching (and possibly clearing) Hibachi when I get the port, because honestly, I've seen harder stuff in the first loop of DDP, and it had neither hypers nor autobombs nor decent firepower aside from C-S. (That, and stage 6 boss in DDP actually takes effort to no-miss.) Hibachi itself is one a whole another level, of course, but a few hours of practice makes everything feasible.
Muchi Muchi Spork

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

If you are able to memorize every little bit of where to place your ship before all patterns start and exactly how he dodged them from there just from watching videos and quickly get used to the big hit box and so on then maybe somehow you will find it easier than loop 1 in DDP. The reality is I cleared the first loop of DDP in less than 1/10 the time and didn't have any pre-placements memorized for it, just took it balls out. And that's with lots of clear videos of SDOJ watched and none for DDP. If you don't place your ship in the right places before a million of the patterns start in SDOJ then the patterns are way harder, way more than DDP. You don't see that in any of these videos, you just see a best case scenario for them all because they are so slick with their pre-placements/memorizations.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Muchi Muchi Spork knows of what he speaks. And that's exactly what I didn't like about SDOJ, is the emphasis on memorization/placement, with almost no external cues. Every shmup involves that to a certain degree, but its too much in st4 and 5 for my taste.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:If you are able to memorize every little bit of where to place your ship before all patterns start and exactly how he dodged them from there just from watching videos and quickly get used to the big hit box and so on then maybe somehow you will find it easier than loop 1 in DDP. The reality is I cleared the first loop of DDP in less than 1/10 the time and didn't have any pre-placements memorized for it, just took it balls out. And that's with lots of clear videos of SDOJ watched and none for DDP. If you don't place your ship in the right places before a million of the patterns start in SDOJ then the patterns are way harder, way more than DDP. You don't see that in any of these videos, you just see a best case scenario for them all because they are so slick with their pre-placements/memorizations.
I absolutely agree. These low-scoring replays make it seem much, much easier than it is. There's a ton of memorization and ship placement strategies that go unnoticed in these videos and take a lot of time to master. Even if you don't hyper at all, don't expect this game to lie down for you.

Edit: I'll mention a quick example based on those videos moozooh just posted. In the stage 3 one, at around the :44 second mark, it just looks like business as usual with thin patterns from the popcorn enemies and the ship in the water. Nothing noteworthy whatsoever. But this is an area of the stage all new-comers bungle up for a long time because most players instinctively move to the side too soon when the popcorn enemies fly in, trapping them in the corner. But notice how at the :36 second mark he positions himself in the corner and slowly works his way to the left in anticipation of the coming patterns. This game has a very strong snow-globe effect with the patterns where moving around too much or in the wrong spots will shake things up and cause problems.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Meet the new memorizer. >_>
DrTrouserPlank

Post by DrTrouserPlank »

Frankly they are all memorisers. You deviate 1 micron off either side of the optimal path and all hell breaks loose with patterns being fired slightly offset and at more awkward angles.
To go "full-Plank" - colloquial - To experience disproportionate levels of frustration as a result of resistance to completing a task. Those who go "full-Plank" very rarely recover.
ciox

Post by ciox »

KAI

Post by KAI »

Corners, aimed shots, tap tap tap, CAVE™
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

spoilers: saidaioujou is a shmup