Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

Post by bobrocks95 »

bigbadboaz wrote:Wait a minute, how does Phil Fish's behavior invalidate the purchase of a niche retro-console?!?
He's an asshole! Didn't you see!
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
FBX

Post by FBX »

bobrocks95 wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:Wait a minute, how does Phil Fish's behavior invalidate the purchase of a niche retro-console?!?
He's an asshole! Didn't you see!
To be honest, after reviewing the incidents and behavior of Phil, I think Analogue should have hired someone else. Maybe they thought bad PR was better than no PR, or maybe they didn't know all the crap Phil pulled before they hired him. Whatever the case may be, I'm disappointed to find out such a despicable human being had a hand in the making of the Super Nt.
Last edited by FBX on Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

They hired and paid a person that is a total scumbag to do a job for them. By making it clear you don't want your money to support assholes like that it keeps them from continuing to be heard because he won't get invited to cons and panels if it actually reduces the amount of people willing to go. That way he can't keep harassing people.
thebeautifulones

Post by thebeautifulones »

Wolf_ wrote:
FBX wrote:I didn't even know who Phil Fish was. Looked up a funny youtube rant about his behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... g31vRyhE1Q
I think I heard that the opening animations can be disabled so I'll certainly be turning them off if that is the case as well as well as contacting Analogue to let them know I would prefer they didn't include that scumbag's content in the machine or hire him in the future.
Why are you bothering them just because you're cry baby? They're busy making and shipping great products. Grow the fuck up.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

I am totally with the "vote with your dollars" concept.. this just doesn't cross the line for me. Ignore Phil Fish's games (if he makes any more), yes. Not buy the Super Nt if I'm in the target market, because he contributed a small aspect of it while being in no way the driving force behind it? No. Not a chance.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

bigbadboaz wrote:I am totally with the "vote with your dollars" concept.. this just doesn't cross the line for me. Ignore Phil Fish's games (if he makes any more), yes. Not buy the Super Nt if I'm in the target market, because he contributed a small aspect of it while being in no way the driving force behind it? No. Not a chance.
Yes, but you're buying a product associated with Satan himself. Scum of the earth- I heard he killed a guy! Not putting that little box of lies underneath my TV!
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
GigaBoots

Post by GigaBoots »

bobrocks95 wrote:Yes, but you're buying a product associated with Satan himself. Scum of the earth- I heard he killed a guy! Not putting that little box of lies underneath my TV!
bobrocks95 wrote:Ah dang, you're right Lawfer, I'm completely convinced now and will admit that I was wrong the whole time. I can no longer purchase the Super Nt in good faith and will be cancelling my pre-order as well.
bobrocks95 wrote:He's an asshole! Didn't you see!
You're not funny. Cut it out.

On topic though...
I was a little surprised when I saw Phil Fish was involved but I thought "Hey, he probably did good enough work on this where they decided his contribution outweighed the possibility of drama." Then I saw the menus and boot-up animation. To say I was underwhelmed is putting it lightly.

Still, I don't think we should protest the Super NT because Phil's involved. Voice your opinion to the company, see if they correct course in the future (don't patch stuff out though, that'd suck too) and then we can have an excited dialog with them. Hopefully they get another (better) graphic designer for the next analogue device.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

thebeautifulones wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
FBX wrote:I didn't even know who Phil Fish was. Looked up a funny youtube rant about his behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... g31vRyhE1Q
I think I heard that the opening animations can be disabled so I'll certainly be turning them off if that is the case as well as well as contacting Analogue to let them know I would prefer they didn't include that scumbag's content in the machine or hire him in the future.
Why are you bothering them just because you're cry baby? They're busy making and shipping great products. Grow the fuck up.
Writing a company to let them know you're not fond of them employing someone is hardly being a crybaby. It is how civilized adults handle things when they believe someone is mistaken about who they choose to associate with.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

I don't care if Satan himself is involved with this project as long as it's jailbroken :D
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I was never saying to not buy the system. I just wish he didn't do the intro screen.
That's pretty small potatoes compared to the whole project.
Obviously, we can complain to the company, so they won't ask him to do it again.

But Phil is a dick, and I wish he wasn't making any bank off of gamers. Especially for a SNES system, which the majority of popular games on it are Japanese. I find it weird that he ragged on the Japanese so much, seeing as he stole a lot of Fez's art style from Cave Story. Just a fucknut. I mean....no one likes him. Well, maybe one person here. :lol:
GigaBoots

Post by GigaBoots »

I watched the panel in question and I believe his complaints were about (then) modern Japanese games, not retro. He seemed to highly regard retro japanese games. In his defense, Japan was going through a hell of a development funk around that time due to no standardized engines and poor foreign documentation for the then-popular game dev engines. Even still, their tech is lacking but Japan is coming back in force this gen.

But yea, he's still a whiny asshole.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Having looked into the guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2X59OK8ngM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTUW-owa2w

It seems like he either has some social disorder that forces him to make everyone hate him, or he was trying to pull a Justin Bieber and get people to hate him for popularity because he clearly doesn't actually mean most of what he says and often does the exact opposite of the things he comments harshly on. Other than that he basically just flamed some trolls and picked a fight with a corrupt news host. In any case he doesn't appear to my understanding to be racist or have said anything to trolls they didn't say to him first.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

GigaBoots wrote:You're not funny. Cut it out.
Sorry, for some reason I was under the impression that people on here enjoyed ragging on mentally ill people, my bad.
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Meh, never even heard of the guy before this thread. I've played Fez, thought it was neat. Didn't know who made it...but then again, I don't pay attention to game developers in the limelight. For the most part, I figured game devs are just as socially awkward as most nerds are. This guy's lashing-out is fairly par for the course.
thebeautifulones

Wolf_ wrote: Writing a company to let them know you're not fond of them employing someone is hardly being a crybaby. It is how civilized adults handle things when they believe someone is mistaken about who they choose to associate with.
Depends on your reasoning. If you're writing to a company because in your opinion they've employed someone who's an "asshole"--unless that employee's responsibility involves public relations and he's been an asshole to you through the course of doing his job--you're a cry baby. Having a problem with the actual work is a valid reason; if that were the premise of your complaint I'd possibly consider you a civilized adult. But you're a cry baby.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

thebeautifulones wrote:
Wolf_ wrote: Writing a company to let them know you're not fond of them employing someone is hardly being a crybaby. It is how civilized adults handle things when they believe someone is mistaken about who they choose to associate with.
Depends on your reasoning. If you're writing to a company because in your opinion they've employed someone who's an "asshole"--unless that employee's responsibility involves public relations and he's been an asshole to you through the course of doing his job--you're a cry baby. Having a problem with the actual work is a valid reason; if that were the premise of your complaint I'd possibly consider you a civilized adult. But you're a cry baby.
Telling someone they shouldn't employ a racist that tells people to compare themselves to him and then kill themselves is a completely valid complaint regardless of the quality of his work, which is an intro scene btw and not anything remotely important. Far better for a person like that to never get hired by anyone. However upon looking into the matter that was actually a quote from Futurama and he said it to a corrupt "gaming news" persona that threatened him with a negative review if he wouldn't do an interview. Also the fact that he said all Japanese games suck is a thing he does like when he says all pc gamers suck and then ports his game to the pc. Clearly he is either stirring the pot for attention or has full fledged autism.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

Wolf_ wrote: full fledged autism.
I've seen quite a few of those on this forum actually who always make me wonder.

Edit: (and no, I don't mean you :) )
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

Has everyone finished throwing stones?

Group hug??
modology

Post by modology »

I dont understand why people have to feel so butthurt over what he said.
Does his words or comments really affect you at personal level?
He does not need to behave or react to everyone's comments like a saint or socialite because he aint one, he is just a game designer
He can be whatever he wants to be, an asshole, an autism or whatever you guys think he is, as long as he is good at what he is doing ---> making game, we should all acknowledge that.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Alright folks, that's enough about Mr. Fish. Back to the main topic at hand.

In 34 hours or so there will be a Super NT live stream here from the guy who's done the awesome NES Works/Game Boy Works videos.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi »

Byuu lashing out against polygon's article:

https://byuu.org/articles/fpgas-arent-magic/
thebeautifulones

Wolf_ wrote:
thebeautifulones wrote:
Telling someone they shouldn't employ a racist that tells people to compare themselves to him and then kill themselves is a completely valid complaint regardless of the quality of his work, which is an intro scene btw and not anything remotely important. Far better for a person like that to never get hired by anyone. However upon looking into the matter that was actually a quote from Futurama and he said it to a corrupt "gaming news" persona that threatened him with a negative review if he wouldn't do an interview. Also the fact that he said all Japanese games suck is a thing he does like when he says all pc gamers suck and then ports his game to the pc. Clearly he is either stirring the pot for attention or has full fledged autism.
What he said and why is irrelevant. His job for Analogue was to do an intro and he did that. Is the intro a racist diatribe? He wasn't hired to say things that Wolf_ deems acceptable, and to behave in a way that you're okay with.
thebeautifulones

modology wrote:I dont understand why people have to feel so butthurt over what he said.
Does his words or comments really affect you at personal level?
He does not need to behave or react to everyone's comments like a saint or socialite because he aint one, he is just a game designer
He can be whatever he wants to be, an asshole, an autism or whatever you guys think he is, as long as he is good at what he is doing ---> making game, we should all acknowledge that.
It's just an evolution of the nosy neighbour disease. They think they're right in sticking their nose in everyone's business and laying out the acceptable rules of behaviour for everyone. It's ridiculous and everyone needs to tell them outright to fuck off, to worry about their own behaviour and to stop worrying about everyone else's.

An excellent Subnautica sound designer was fired just yesterday because of people like this.

edit: hadn't seen the post about getting off the Fish topic until after posting this.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

thebeautifulones wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
thebeautifulones wrote:Depends on your reasoning. If you're writing to a company because in your opinion they've employed someone who's an "asshole"--unless that employee's responsibility involves public relations and he's been an asshole to you through the course of doing his job--you're a cry baby. Having a problem with the actual work is a valid reason; if that were the premise of your complaint I'd possibly consider you a civilized adult. But you're a cry baby.
What he said and why is irrelevant. His job for Analogue was to do an intro and he did that. Is the intro a racist diatribe? He wasn't hired to say things that Wolf_ deems acceptable, and to behave in a way that you're okay with.
People should be held accountable for the stuff they do. If he really was using his "fame" to tell someone that their life wasn't worth living because they weren't as "popular" as him, or if he actually was a racist then he shouldn't be in any kind of business where he could gain more influence. That said it is my understanding that is not the case and he is simply either a moron or has a social disorder.

By your logic we should have allow racists and people that make hate speeches to say whatever they want and have it not reflect on any other part of their lives but the truth is actions have consequences and if you say something horrible it will follow you and affect your professional life the same way that video of you getting super drunk and attempting to learn both belly and table dancing at the same time would.
djc5166

Post by djc5166 »

citrus3000psi wrote:Byuu lashing out against polygon's article:

https://byuu.org/articles/fpgas-arent-magic/
I kind of suspected some of things Byuu is talking about here, but I don't really know much about FPGAs.
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

But he is not in it to preserve the hardware for future generations: he's in it for the profit. His product is necessarily closed source. When the last Analogue Super Nt dies of old age, it will be a distant memory, just like the original SNES consoles.
Coming from a guy who dumps games and wants to make sure they are 1:1, but then not even release them to the public is hilarious. But it is ok guys as I let you know what the SHA256 hash is.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

In case some have missed it, the linked thread is updated with tests of the Raphnet adapter and SNES emulation on a PC:

https://forums.libretro.com/t/an-input- ... ation/4407

It's a good read.
We apologise for the inconvenience
orange808

Post by orange808 »

ChuChu Flamingo wrote:
But he is not in it to preserve the hardware for future generations: he's in it for the profit. His product is necessarily closed source. When the last Analogue Super Nt dies of old age, it will be a distant memory, just like the original SNES consoles.
Coming from a guy who dumps games and wants to make sure they are 1:1, but then not even release them to the public is hilarious. But it is ok guys as I let you know what the SHA256 hash is.
I like turtles.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

Could somebody help me understand the controller situation, please ?

There are new 8bitdo controllers. They are BT, not 2.4G wireless like last year's controllers. Still the new controllers look like last year's 2.4G wireless versions (and not like the previous BT versions) ?

There is a new SNES BT dongle which is now powered by the system. Does this still work with orginal SFC/SNES systems ?

I assume that new controllers work with older dongles and vice versa ?

New controllers (new design + BT) are currently only available as a set with the new SNES BT dongles ?

And as a bonus question (not Analogue related, but 8bitdo in general): 2.4G sets (controllers + dongle) are only available for the NES/SNES Mini, right ? Why were these introduced, when Analogue now claims that the BT setup is completely lag free ? Just to have a cheaper option out there ?
Syntax

Post by Syntax »

It's my understanding BT is preferred over WiFi because WiFi controllers tend to drop out from conflicting signals. And lag.