Recommended Anime/Manga?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Never_Scurred

Post by Never_Scurred »

Wolf's Rain.
That show made me cry.

Welcome to NHK is good too if you're willing to stick with it.

Tried Death Note...made it to episode 16 and have no desire to finish the series.

I have Now and Then and Berserk on standby. Berserk looks good if the first episode is any indicator. I'm gonna do like NTSC said and dig up the manga.

Cromartie is funny as hell. I hope they make some more...

Taboo Charming Mother. Good stuff. Thats all i'm gonna say on that one :wink:
"It's a joke how the Xbox platform has caught shit for years for only having shooters, but now it's taken on an entirely different meaning."-somebody on NeoGAF
Watch me make Ketsui my bitch.
Rob

Post by Rob »

NTSC-J wrote:But trust me, 20 years of manga made by one guy has a whole lot more in it than some filler 25-episode cartoon.
I can't imagine that's cheap to acquire. The anime took up maybe $3-5 of my Netflix queue. As I said, never read it and was commenting on CMoon's watching of the show.
JoshF

Post by JoshF »

And if you want to figure out "the point of the final scene" you have to read the books because the character that resolves it was chopped out of the anime altogether.
That's the biggest thing I didn't like about it. I can deal with them taking out Puck, but without Skull Knight Guts and Caska wouldn't have survived.
MegaShock! | @ YouTube | Latest Update: Metal Slug No Up Lever No Miss
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Well, the series is up to volume 31 in Japan and can be had for about a hundred bucks, but then there's the whole Japanese part to get over. The translated versions are hideously overpriced (~$13 apiece?), plus they're still way behind at volume 16. So yea, it is an investment, but maybe you could bum them off a friend or something.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

NTSC-J wrote:Well, the series is up to volume 31 in Japan and can be had for about a hundred bucks, but then there's the whole Japanese part to get over. The translated versions are hideously overpriced (~$13 apiece?), plus they're still way behind at volume 16. So yea, it is an investment, but maybe you could bum them off a friend or something.
Do you know how the translated Dark Horse versions compare to the original Japanese? I was thinking of buying them but the price, as you said, is a bit much.

After reading your synopsis of the series I've been wanting to read it but don't want to get a butchered version.

Thanks,

Dave
"Make-up! Jewels! Dresses! I want it all! Sigh... And some new accessories would be nice..."
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

I've read up to volume 9 of the Dark Horse translations and they're pretty good, for the most part. There are times where they take some creative liberties but some things in Japanese just do not translate well. I've read all 31 volumes in Japanese at least 5 times over (which has done wonders for my grasp of the language) and I'd say the translators have done it justice.

However, beginning with volume 12, they started translating the sound effects in these ugly "FX" boxes which clutter the artwork. It's really a shame considering how important and amazing volumes 12 and 13 are, and as far as I know they're going to keep using them. I was buying the DH releases for a while just to support it, but that was the last straw for me.

Still, if you can't do Japanese the DH translations do the job. They're worth the money and when compared to the types of translations manga fans in the West were getting from Viz a decade ago, they're fantastic. The fact that they didn't censor the cover of volume 13 gets a big thumbs up from me.
futurebiblehero

Post by futurebiblehero »

Not counting the Macross series (of which I've been a hardcore fan for ages), Haibane Renmei is hands down my favorite anime of all-time. I also immensely enjoyed Last Exile and Genshiken.

Everything else I like would be considered ancient to most of today's fans.
DBH87

Post by DBH87 »

GUNGRAVE
WOLFS RAIN
TRIGUN
DEAD LEAVES
VAMPIRE HUNTER D
BLOOD
COWBOY BEBOP
NINJA SCROLL
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Darker than Black and Hayate no Gotoku/Hayate the combat butler are shaping up to be pretty good shows

Freedom is a pretty good OVA series if you can stand having to wait 3 months between episodes
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha StrikerS. Episode 8 has pretty much returned the faith I have in the series (and then some), with immense amounts of awesome and lots of drama.

Also watching Hidamari Sketch, Lucky Star and Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

If you love giving your nuts thousands of volts (in a good way), watch Bokurano.
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
Ceph

Post by Ceph »

It's been quite a while since I've watched any anime...

Is Naruto any good? No spoilers please.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Ceph wrote:Is Naruto any good? No spoilers please.
no
unban shw
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

i would like to suggest dennou coil, an upbeat virtual adventure (in the same space as the real world)

people from all social strata can enjoy it unless they require their anime to have fanservice and nothing else in that case i have nothing to say to you (aka 33% of 4chan's /a/)

and if you don't like lucky star you probably can enjoy most of the lucky channel segments on youtube as they shed light on the industry as well as have an entirely different tone to the show
unban shw
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Ceph wrote:It's been quite a while since I've watched any anime...

Anime can't get much worse than Naruto. It's like a really bad show for kids.

Try The Melancholy Of Suzumiya Haruhi (skip first episode on this one, or don't give up on the series after watching only this one), Honey and Clover or Full Metal Panic : The Second Raid !
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

PROMETHEUS wrote:

Try The Melancholy Of Suzumiya Haruhi (skip first episode on this one, or don't give up on the series after watching only this one), Honey and Clover or Full Metal Panic : The Second Raid !
I just watched Suzumiya. It's everything geeks want in their anime: fanservice, wtf plot, and cool characters. Two thumbs up from me!

As for Naruto, the non-filler episodes are good for the most part. The fillers are pure garbage, though. Skip skip skip!
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

This new season is kinda meh. Nanatsuiro Drops is quite disappointing (although I didn't have high expectations for it anyway), and most of the other crap is adaptations of other erogame. Even Moetan looks kinda lame (and shouldn't be, given how hilarious the books are).

Only recommendation is Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai at the moment. I enjoyed the first season, hopefully the second season will live up to expectations. Bring on the vicious murders and mindfuck plot.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Parasyte is being reprinted by Del Rey! Get it! :D
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Aleanil

Post by Aleanil »

Thanks for the recommendations (yah, I know I didn't even ask :P) but you provided them so kindly earlier in the thread. I haven't been keeping up with any of the new stuff. I pulled Lucky Star and Haruhi a while ago, but otherwise my knowledge of anime is still stuck in the period from 1989 - 2003. So now I'll check out Bokura no (when it finishes), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha (S1 and S2). Should be a good amount of watching :P
greg

Post by greg »

Anyone else into Fate/Stay Night? The character designs really are at least 60% of the show's attraction, I must say. Saber is one of the coolest designed anime characters ever. A knight girl in armor and a cool sword? NICE. The teacher in the show is wacky and goofy, and doesn't fit in at all with the seriousness of the show. Very violent, very addicting show.

I'm really interested in seeing Haruhi sometime soon...
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Aleanil

Post by Aleanil »

Actually, I watched Fate/Stay Night a few months back. The anime felt... rushed. The character designs were pretty nice, but the plot from episode to episode moved too quickly. There was just a little too much material for 26 eps, but not enough for 52. The series is only slightly diminished in my eyes for that.

And Saber was DEFINITELY one of the best/strongest female lead characters I've seen in quite a while. Very well designed, and her role was definitely not cliched. Can't say the same for the male lead, whatever his name was... but Saber and Ilya and most of the rest of the cast was quite good.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:
PROMETHEUS wrote:

I just watched Suzumiya. It's everything geeks want in their anime: fanservice, wtf plot, and cool characters. Two thumbs up from me!

As for Naruto, the non-filler episodes are good for the most part. The fillers are pure garbage, though. Skip skip skip!
Nice that you liked Suzumiya!

Not sure you'll like the 2 others if you liked the non-filler episodes of Naruto though :p

Also I've seen/skipped through Fate Stay Night too but didn't like it :p I liked a few aspects of the Saber's character though.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

greg wrote:Anyone else into Fate/Stay Night? The character designs really are at least 60% of the show's attraction, I must say. Saber is one of the coolest designed anime characters ever. A knight girl in armor and a cool sword? NICE. The teacher in the show is wacky and goofy, and doesn't fit in at all with the seriousness of the show. Very violent, very addicting show.
Unfortunately the show kind of sucks
unban shw
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Twiddle wrote:
greg wrote:Anyone else into Fate/Stay Night? The character designs really are at least 60% of the show's attraction, I must say. Saber is one of the coolest designed anime characters ever. A knight girl in armor and a cool sword? NICE. The teacher in the show is wacky and goofy, and doesn't fit in at all with the seriousness of the show. Very violent, very addicting show.
Unfortunately the show kind of sucks
pretty much uh
greg

Post by greg »

Aleanil wrote:And Saber was DEFINITELY one of the best/strongest female lead characters I've seen in quite a while. Very well designed, and her role was definitely not cliched.
I think that if Saber wasn't such a cool character, the show would be completely forgettable. She pretty much carries the show. It was rather bizarre and confusing when they explained Saber's true identity, but then again anime these days tries to be strange. The show has a few very strong characters and the rest are pretty weak characters. The plot itself is kinda like a gory version of Pokemon or some such crap, but once I started I couldn't stop. Why? Because of Saber. I mainly like to collect figures of Saber. My first introduction was just seeing PVC figures of Saber and so I did some investigating. The show really wasn't what I expected it to be, but it was cool in its own way, mainly because of her character design.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Unfortunately both the Fate/Stay Night and Shingetsutan Tsukihime animes take the safe route with the storyline. They're both based on visual novels (erogame un/fortunately, depending on which side of the hentai fence you sit on) with very complex, multi-branching plots: basically, both animes take the safe, good end route through what is essentially the first arc of both games.

If you liked both animes however (which I did to some extent), track down the games and play them to 100% completion. The storyline in both is very well written, and the final arc of both is well worth the time invested. Without spoiling too much, both Shiki and Shiro were portrayed as wimps in the anime, they are far stronger male leads in the games.

And yes, Saber is awesome. I liked Rin a bit more, however.

Now, if there's one manga/game adaptation I'd love to see, it's Melty Blood. The manga is f*cking awesome.
UnscathedFlyingObject

Post by UnscathedFlyingObject »

PROMETHEUS wrote:
UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:
PROMETHEUS wrote: Anime can't get much worse than Naruto. It's like a really bad show for kids.

Nice that you liked Suzumiya!

Not sure you'll like the 2 others if you liked the non-filler episodes of Naruto though :p.
Nice conclusion but I don't have bad taste. It's just that I don't expect a shounen anime to have the deepest story ever, just something adequate so that they can string battles together. The story is adequate, though some characters are annoying, but the battles are good. I've seen a lot of anime with worse battles than Naruto, including some high profile ones.
"Sooo, what was it that you consider a 'good salary' for a man to make?"
"They should at least make 100K to have a good life"
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

The Melancholy Of Suzumiya Haruhi is overrated.

Not my type of anime to watch.

Didn't enjoy it when watching.
greg

Post by greg »

Icarus wrote: If you liked both animes however (which I did to some extent), track down the games and play them to 100% completion.
Yes, I intend to get Fate/Stay Night: Realta Nua for the PS2. It's on my to-buy list when I go to Japan again in November.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

UnscathedFlyingObject wrote:Nice conclusion but I don't have bad taste. It's just that I don't expect a shounen anime to have the deepest story ever, just something adequate so that they can string battles together. The story is adequate, though some characters are annoying, but the battles are good. I've seen a lot of anime with worse battles than Naruto, including some high profile ones.
eheh sorry if you felt offensed, I'm not being offensive on purpose but well, it's just what I think about Naruto. Mmmh... I kind of have the opposite view, I think the story is pretty stupid, most characters are terribly shallow (especially Sasuke / Gaara, and most of the secondary characters, but I kind of liked Rock Lee, Naruto, Guy Sensei, Kakashi or Jiraiya~ they're kind of fun), but I really thought the worst thing were the battles. Which anime do you think has worse battles ?

Actually what should we expect from battles ? I watch anime for art, meaning an anime is good for me when it makes me feel something special that I've never felt before. So battles like in FLCL are really really great to me because they're so psychedelic and I feel totally rock and roll in a FLCL way when I watch them. But when I watch Naruto, I only feel very common suspense and nothing more. Like "mmmh I wanna know what comes next, who's gonna win..." etc, but it really doesn't try to create any kind of emotion besides the usual ones.

So well maybe Naruto has intense suspense lol but it still feels very common and usual to me so that's why I think it's bad. And I have no anime that comes to my mind where the battles are any worse than that.

Again I'm not trying to be offensive, just saying what I think.

I'm curious how you guys feel about it. Do you watch anime as just entertainment, or do you feel there is more to it than entertainment and are looking for something more ?