STG covers album: Out Now! Direct download!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Turrican wrote:
The Coop wrote:That would be a VERY bad idea. It doesn't matter how many disclaimers you would put on the site, to any company who owns the rights to the remixed music, you'd look as if you were selling the CDs for profit... something they would not look kindly upon, at all. Even if the money was used only to replace burned discs, it would still be money going to someone else's pocket, and you can bet a C&D (at least) would be the result.
Sorry for being so dense, but would you explain me the difference between the STG cover album and the countless other tribute cds that you can buy out there, like this one for example:

http://www.oneupstudios.com/ous_005.php
The difference, is that they acquired the rights from the original music's copyright holders. They paid any licensing and royalty fees, and entered an agreement with the respective company(s). As a result, they can sell their remixes.

Regarding the CD back cover, I have one ready to be posted (it's a darkened version of the front cover, sans the album title), but I'm waiting for a final line up of the tracks the album's going to have. As soon as I get that info, I can put in the song titles, their length, and who did them using the same font from the front cover. Oh, and it'll be 300dpi as well.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

The Coop wrote:Regarding the CD back cover, I have one ready to be posted (it's a darkened version of the front cover, sans the album title), but I'm waiting for a final line up of the tracks the album's going to have. As soon as I get that info, I can put in the song titles, their length, and who did them using the same font from the front cover. Oh, and it'll be 300dpi as well.
Awesome!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

The Coop wrote:
Turrican wrote:
The Coop wrote:That would be a VERY bad idea. It doesn't matter how many disclaimers you would put on the site, to any company who owns the rights to the remixed music, you'd look as if you were selling the CDs for profit... something they would not look kindly upon, at all. Even if the money was used only to replace burned discs, it would still be money going to someone else's pocket, and you can bet a C&D (at least) would be the result.
Sorry for being so dense, but would you explain me the difference between the STG cover album and the countless other tribute cds that you can buy out there, like this one for example:

The difference, is that they acquired the rights from the original music's copyright holders. They paid any licensing and royalty fees, and entered an agreement with the respective company(s). As a result, they can sell their remixes.
Are you sure that is the case? They have a lot of different companies in that cd. And can the same be said for the whole doujin soundtrack market in Japan? What about the Amiga Immortal series - many of those companies are dead...
It's not that I don't understand, I was just hoping there was a somewhat easier shortcut to publish a cover, something like "fans tribute not intended to harm the original composers" or such.
X - P - B
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Turrican wrote:
The Coop wrote:
Turrican wrote: Sorry for being so dense, but would you explain me the difference between the STG cover album and the countless other tribute cds that you can buy out there, like this one for example:

Are you sure that is the case? They have a lot of different companies in that cd. And can the same be said for the whole doujin soundtrack market in Japan? What about the Amiga Immortal series - many of those companies are dead...
It's not that I don't understand, I was just hoping there was a somewhat easier shortcut to publish a cover, something like "fans tribute not intended to harm the original composers" or such.
Yeah, I'm sure. If it's not the case, then they're setting themselves up for a lawsuit. I can't speak on the doujin soundtrack market, as I'm not very familiar with it, or the laws in Japan. But in America, if you want to publish remixes of someone else's work, and charge money for it (for whatever reason), you NEED a contract agreement with the people/companies that own the copyrights to the music you're remixing. Otherwise, you're making money off of someone else's source material without their permission, and that's quite illegal. Weird Al can get away with it, as his stuff falls under the parody aspect of "fair use". Remixes aren't generally parodies (though some are), and because of this, they don't usually get that luxury.

So to be somewhat blunt, I strongly suggest that we not offer printing or burning services for this, skip donations, and just leave it up to the individual to burn and print their own CD and covers respectively. Why tangle with copyright laws and iffy legal interpretations when there's no reason to, ya know?

Oh, as for the Amiga games, I noticed there are a good number of artists who made studio-quality versions of their own music, so that's a non-issue. Otherwise, I would imagine the folks who made any remixes did their homework, and got permission from the current copyright holders (be they a company, or the music creators themselves). If they didn't, then unless Europe has different laws on the matter, I believe they would be walking into dangerous legal territory.

Keep in mind, I'm no lawyer. It's not my job. But I do know that taking money for non-parody remixes, without permission from the original person/company, is questionable at best, and a guaranteed lawsuit at worst... regardless of what the money is for.
Last edited by The Coop on Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Okay, very well put. I'm convinced. :)
X - P - B
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

so what the hell is going on with this album?
rtw

Post by rtw »

Bump...
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
glitch

Post by glitch »

hi rtw nice 1000th post you got there. ^_^
fully agreeing with your sentiments on this matter.
this thing needs happening.
bombs save lives
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Eretsua still wants to do the mastering, and says that when s/he's free, s/he'll get in contact. I think anyway. It is dragging on a bit now, eh?
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Perhaps we should find out who can actually send large files first.
rtw

Post by rtw »

The Coop wrote:Perhaps we should find out who can actually send large files first.
We all can, use mediafire or rapidshare. If your upload connection
is bad just burn a CDR and send it to someone appropriate :D

rtw
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

hey there people! sorry for my sluggish response, i got a bit distracted by other things for a while. but i'll make up for it with a really long post. ;)

anyway, i'm totally up for mastering this project still, yes.

let's talk what would be ideal:
first off, if possible please send me a dry mix of your song. by which i mean a version of your song with no mastering compressor, no final equalizer, etc. the less stuff that you've done to the final mix the better i can do my part in mastering this project. this also goes for a reverb over the final mix. preferably turn it off as well unless it serves a very important artistic purpose. a very subtle limiter on the end is okay.

for those of us who have used a sequencer (like cubase, nuendo, fruityloops, sonar, etc) this should be easy to do if you have your project file still. you can then also easily render your project at my desired 32bit floating point @ 96KHz wave file*.

for those of use who've recorded it in real life this could be a bit trickier. as you probably didn't have a high resolution recording device available for you to use. if you did then i'd gladly accept that file but if not we'll make due with what you've got. again, a dry version is very much preferred.

so what to send me - ideally a dry mix with the following specifications:
format: wave files, omf-projects, aif or losslessly compressed wave files with either wavpack or flac.
bit depth: 32bit floating point (preferably).
sample rate: 96,000Hz (preferably).

this is the preferred setting but if you for example have a 24bit 96KHz or that is also great. and even a 16it at 48KHz is better than standard cd audio.

please do not go up sampling / increasing the bit value if you only have a lower resolution file! for example converting a cd quality 16bit @ 44.1Khz file to 32bit at a higher sample rate is no use at this stage. you gain no quality but do have a massive increase in file size.

also, if you still only have an mp3 please do not convert it to wave! again there will be no increase in quality cause what is lost can never be returned so we might as well keep it small and easy to distribute to me. :)

*your sequencer host, if not ancient can probably export high resolution files. however, your setup may not be capable of playing back those high resolution files. sometimes they don't play at all and other times they sound horribly distorted and/or clicking popping like it's chinese new year. this does not mean that the render is bad but rather that your hardware is not capable of playing them back properly.

please note that those high resolution files that i'm asking for are also very big. for example 60seconds of stereo white noise @ 16bit, 44.i1KHz takes up 10.8mb while 60seconds of stereo white noise @ 32bit float, 96KHz takes up 43.94mb. however the increase of sound quality makes this a very worthwhile trade off.

distribution:
to make distribution a bit interweb friendlier we can use lossless compressors to pack up our wave files.
for wave files with a higher bit depth than 16bit i recommend using wavpack

for cd quallity (16bit, 44.1KHz) wave files i recommend flac as in my experience it tends to yield better compression ratios than wavpack at lower bit depths.

still the final files will be rather large. please be aware of that.
i can easily accept files through yousendit, rapidshare (or such) or download them from an ftp server. you may need to split up your file over multiple archives using zip or rar to be able to send it through those services but that is fine with me. :)

or indeed burn a cdr and use the postal service. :)

i gotta catch a train now... so no time to remove redundancies in this post now. :)
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

All our files are with MX7, right? At least he has the WAV of our contribution.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

well lets have a cd quality version and a like 192kbps version for those who want the thing but can't download a cd quality version.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Herr Schatten wrote:All our files are with MX7, right? At least he has the WAV of our contribution.
Yup. What I'll do (prob tomorrow) is send eretsua everything I have via mediafire. Then He can ascertain exactly what he needs for the mastering.
rtw

Post by rtw »

MX7 wrote:
Herr Schatten wrote:All our files are with MX7, right? At least he has the WAV of our contribution.
Yup. What I'll do (prob tomorrow) is send eretsua everything I have via mediafire. Then He can ascertain exactly what he needs for the mastering.
*bump*
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

http://rapidshare.com/files/227861193/g ... .flac.html
Uncompressed, unmastered version of my GW remix.

and bump too.
"A game isn't bad because you resent it. A game is bad because it's shitty."
eretsua

Post by eretsua »

i got your tune on my hd now worstplayer, thanks!

now the others still and i'll get on mastering it.
warning: a huge warning sign is approaching fast!
http://community.livejournal.com/the_dump_ever/profile/
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

eretsua wrote:now the others still and i'll get on mastering it.
I thought MX7 has sent them to you already, no?

I'm really curious to hear how our track will sound after you mastered it. (After all, it's the last track our band ever recorded before splitting up some weeks ago.)
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

The Coop wrote:
Turrican wrote:
The Coop wrote: The difference, is that they acquired the rights from the original music's copyright holders. They paid any licensing and royalty fees, and entered an agreement with the respective company(s). As a result, they can sell their remixes.
Yeah, I'm sure. If it's not the case, then they're setting themselves up for a lawsuit. I can't speak on the doujin soundtrack market, as I'm not very familiar with it, or the laws in Japan. But in America, if you want to publish remixes of someone else's work, and charge money for it (for whatever reason), you NEED a contract agreement with the people/companies that own the copyrights to the music you're remixing. Otherwise, you're making money off of someone else's source material without their permission, and that's quite illegal. Weird Al can get away with it, as his stuff falls under the parody aspect of "fair use". Remixes aren't generally parodies (though some are), and because of this, they don't usually get that luxury.
Weird Al still pays royalties on some songs IIRC
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Twiddle wrote:
The Coop wrote:
Turrican wrote: Are you sure that is the case? They have a lot of different companies in that cd. And can the same be said for the whole doujin soundtrack market in Japan? What about the Amiga Immortal series - many of those companies are dead...
Weird Al still pays royalties on some songs IIRC
He does, but he does this (and asks permission) to respect the original artists, and to stay on good terms with the music industry.
Enhasa

Post by Enhasa »

Yeah he doesn't have to do that at all but Coolio was frontin. OTOH Chamillionaire likes getting parodied, Chingo Bling also did a parody of Ridin' about getting "deportated."
"I think happiness is just being able to loaf without stress."

http://speeddemosarchive.com/
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

I had nothing better to do, so...
This of course isn't final render, just a quick preview.
MX7

Re: STG covers album: Let's make a front cover!

Post by MX7 »

Eretsua, empty your inbox...

Anyway, 13 months since the inception of this idea. I have every submission in a neat little zip folder, and several front covers are knocking around this thread. So it's basically just mastering that needs to be done. It'd be nice to get this collection out there for all to listen to :D
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

**watches tumbleweeds drifting by**
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Eretsua wasn't here since May 03, 2009. Unless there's someone else who's good at mastering, this project is officially dead.
rtw

Post by rtw »

It's not dead :D

MX7 has all the files, normalize them, put them in a decent order, MP3 them, tag them, send me a link to an
archive and I'll host them here...

http://world-of-arcades.net/stgc08

Let's get crackin...
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Is that the final track listing? If it is, I'll make the back image to go with the front one I did.
rtw

Post by rtw »

The Coop wrote:Is that the final track listing? If it is, I'll make the back image to go with the front one I did.
It's not the final, it needs to be sorted/prioritized...
worstplayer

Post by worstplayer »

Bump.

Looks like this isn't going anywhere. So everyone, re-upload your tunes if you can (all links except The Coop's are dead), i'm gonna level the volumes, cut out silence and edit id3's so it at least remotely resembles album (no hopes of proper mastering at this point), and upload that thing somewhere.
RTW, is the webspace still available?