DoDonPachi (New Thread #3)

elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

what i checked carefully not to have someone twice in chart but overlooked that.
Fixed!
javel

Post by javel »

I played this game some more:

Javel - 121'302'210 - C-S - 2-6 - 398

I recorded a new inp. An absolutely terrible first loop followed by an awesome (well, for me at least...) 2nd loop. Stage 2-6, 110M.

http://www.mediafire.com/?x5ixtvvdfd1 (wolfmame101)
kengou

Post by kengou »

Man I'm getting so close to getting on this board... just had a beautiful run to the 1-5 boss, 22 million, which is my highest score so far. Pretty sad that I've been playing DDP for around a year now regularly.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
Wes112

Post by Wes112 »

Wes - 38,357,390 - C-S - 2-1 - 395

This score was from a couple of months ago.
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

spongdangly - 33,160,460 - C-S - 1-6 - 208

I probably would have finally 1CCed this were it not for a bs death at the beginning of stage 6 with 5 bombs left in stock.
kengou

Post by kengou »

Damnit, getting so close now. 24 million, made it to stage 6 for the first time.
"I think Ikaruga is pretty tough. It is like a modern version of Galaga that some Japanese company made."
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

Updated.

I'm sorry uwfan and Neo Gold.
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

spongdangly - 43,378,610 - C-S - 1-6 - 400
tada

Post by tada »

I still need another 8 million or so. I seem to be going through a shmup growth spurt though (I'm getting my best scores ever despite not playing in months), so I may be up there sooner than I think.
Observer

Post by Observer »

I have a couple of questions since I only started paying full attention to DDP in the last weeks... As a note, I'm using Mameplus to run the game.

a) Does the game record highscores? Every time I quit and start it again, the scores are gone. If it can record 'em or if forgot to enable such option... Please indicate me how to do so? Thanks in advance. This also drives me mad because I can never remember which was my last score.

b) I cannot access the game bios no matter how I furiously mash F2. However, I can access to the bios of other games (Gradius III, Strikers 1945 III, etc.) without issues. Am I missing something here? Again, thanks in advance if I can get this cleared.

I've been playing the whole game with the default settings, mashing the buttons like mad and enjoying it as I fight my way to stage 5/6... Only to realise there was an autofire option at hand.

I'm actually more worried that I can't enter the bios at all. Perhaps I'm missing files?
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

@Observer

a) No it doesn't seem too when I run it in MAMEUI32 either. I just use the 'Print Screen' button on the keyboard (you can only have one picture this way though). I'm pretty sure that you can bind a key to take screenshots while in the game though.

b)I find that I have to hold F2 for a few seconds before it loads the bios. It needs to be past the warning screen though. Try to press F10 to throttle the game (it does a fast auto frameskip) while holding F2 to make it load faster.

I doubt that you're missing files as I'm pretty sure that the game wouldn't run.
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

a) No Cave game released before Mushihimesama records high scores on power down as far as I know. If you want to remember a high score, I suggest taking a snapshot.

b) I don't know exactly what sort of 'mashing' you've tried, but for me just holding F2 for 2 seconds brings it up. This doesn't work during the initial warning message display, only when you can also press start.

edit: lol redundancy
Observer

Post by Observer »

Ravid & spongdangly: Thanks a lot to both!

Yeah, it was me and my impatience. Entered the bios without issues. I kept pressing F2 during the warning screen (it's the sequels of Resident Evil 4 button-mashing I tell ya).

Damn... So they actually didn't record high-scores. Time to polish the print screen key. My last score was around 20 mill on stage 6... Gotta keep practising!
NOW REACHES THE FATAL ATTRACTION BE DESCRIBED AS "HELLSINKER". DECIDE DESTINATION.
moozooh

Post by moozooh »

The standard key for taking a screenshot in most (all?) MAME versions is F12.
Matskat wrote:This neighborhood USED to be nice...until that family of emulators moved in across the street....
Observer

Post by Observer »

moozooh wrote:The standard key for taking a screenshot in most (all?) MAME versions is F12.
I have it set to Print Screen. Other than that, I have yet to actually take a screenie with a decent score. Maybe one day...
zubiri

Post by zubiri »

Japanese or international version? and C Full auto = totally useless
Ravid

Post by Ravid »

Funny, Dodonpachi is the game that first got me into shmups. Back then it seemed so difficult, I was lucky to get to stage 5. Coming back 2 years later, and in less than 30 credits I get this:

Ravid - 48,013,660 - B-L - 2-2 - 334

At least I know I've improved :shock:

EDIT: Damn, the second loop is hard.

Ravid - 52,535,040 - B-L - 2-3 - 240

EDIT#2:

Ravid - 70,161,060 - B-L - 2-3 - 437
:D
Last edited by Ravid on Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lgb

Post by lgb »

Observer wrote:b) I cannot access the game bios no matter how I furiously mash F2. However, I can access to the bios of other games (Gradius III, Strikers 1945 III, etc.) without issues. Am I missing something here? Again, thanks in advance if I can get this cleared.
Start to hold F2 once the high-score screen comes up, as it will do nothing during the warning. Don't hold it too long, or you'll just back right out of it again (because F2 is also how you get out of the bios)!

No, if you were missing files, the game wouldn't even run!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Well, I finally... gave up -_-;;

Too much time wasted per runs on very easy parts, a very high luck factor on the hard parts plus an exponential scoring system lead me to total disinterest in playing this game anymore. My score isn't unsatisfying but I wanted to reach over 500M. Oh well...

So there it is, that may well be my final score unless I decide to come back for a few more hundreds of tries in the future.

PROMETHEUS - 488'838'900 - A-L - ALL - 852

Download Replay File
Download Wolfmameplus99 - for playback
Download ddonpchj addon - rom addon required

I want to thank every single person who ever dropped me a word of encouragement on this board or anywhere else, your support really helped me keep going and was always a nice reward. Thank you zlk & jck for the 1-6 chain which is luckily fully executed in this run. Thank you K.O, whoever you are, for teaching me 80% of the paths I used to play this game and do this run.
toby

Post by toby »

Wow :shock: , really impressive score, nice job.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Fantastic score and a fantastic player! Will watch the replay in a couple of minutes.
You really showed a strong will and persistence, so it actually doesn't matter, if you have reached your goal or not. It's close enough and it's the attitude that counts.
I know how you feel.
Sometimes giving up is the real challenge itself!
Congratulation!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
elfhentaifan

Post by elfhentaifan »

how poetic :cry:
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Sometimes keeping at it no matter what actually makes things worse. Give it a rest for a month or two, then maybe you could go back and try again. I wouldn't be surprised if you break the 500M mark then.

Anyway, congrats on your score. Few people can get as far as you did.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
maco

Post by maco »

Really great score! And I agree with Plasmo, including the watching the replay part.
zlk

Post by zlk »

Great Score! KO = Laos-Nagata Hermit (I think).
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

You're a fucking hero, man.

Watching that replay almost gave me a heart attack. Beautiful, beautiful play. Undoubtedly one of the most intense and finessed replays I've ever seen. It totally shattered me to see the few mistakes in the run; on your first death I literally shouted in horror.

It is ludacris to consider this achievement "giving up." Five hundred million is just a number. That replays speaks more wonders than any number.

Completely amazing.
spongdangly

Post by spongdangly »

I just finished watching your replay PROMETHEUS and I have to say Wow, that was awesome. You have crazy skills. Nice technique on the 2-4 boss, I like how he just sat there. Plus thanks to your video I now know how to beat the 1-5 boss a whole lot easier.

On a side note, when you get around to updating the hi score list elfhentaifan can you add my score from last month.
spongdangly wrote:spongdangly - 43,378,610 - C-S - 1-6 - 400
captpain

Post by captpain »

Oh MAN. Just got through your run, Prometheus. All I can say is "wow".

There were a few parts where I felt like I was going to throw up :lol:
Fantastic, seems like you know every trick there is to know, and your control is top-notch.

You got robbed by that 2-5 boss sniper by the way... :roll: didn't realize what had happened until after, probably the same as you

edit: oh and I'll show/watch your replay any day over the KO one, much better to see it big and in vivid color
LUNardei

Post by LUNardei »

Thanks for your efforts, Prome. This is something really really really big :D
powerfuran

Post by powerfuran »

That's insane, man!
Congratulations! :D