STGT 2k7- Week #1 Twin Bee Yahhoo!

Edge

Post by Edge »

Icarus wrote:I'm always recording mine, you guys should know that by now.
I'm not using MAME's input recording feature, however, as I prefer direct-feed to record (to avoid waiting for the bootup sequence to run).
Yep, I remember that from last year, as I have also watched some of your impressive replays. This post was directed to other players encouraging them to record some of their runs.
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

Edge wrote:
Icarus wrote:I'm always recording mine, you guys should know that by now.
I'm not using MAME's input recording feature, however, as I prefer direct-feed to record (to avoid waiting for the bootup sequence to run).
Yep, I remember that from last year, as I have also watched some of your impressive replays. This post was directed to other players encouraging them to record some of their runs.

I might record mine (as a mame replay, I dont have any fancy capture software) but if the week is over and my score isn't at least in the top 3 then I probably wont bother uploading anything.
Davey

Post by Davey »

This is starting to make more sense...

Davey - Great Lakes Avengers - 1,986,610 - Stage 5 - MAME
gavin19

Post by gavin19 »

Macaw wrote: I might record mine (as a mame replay, I dont have any fancy capture software) but if the week is over and my score isn't at least in the top 3 then I probably wont bother uploading anything.
Problem is that the top scorers are likely to be those that already record runs as a matter of course. It would be nice to have some not-entirely-super-superplays for reference; even an average replay can reveal good strategies and tips, especially for beginners. Hell I might even record a few myself.
a.k.a - G19
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Edge wrote:Didn't had the time to play today, will hopefully get to it the next days. Anyway, Mr. DJI, please show us your score so far. I won't hold back scores during the whole compo, so let's battle this out fair and square. :)
Ah yes...numerical terrorism. I'm on it.

DJ Incompetent - Drink & Fly - 3,101,790 - 6 - PSX

Today's score and comically butchered babelfish insult brought to you by Snake Dog IPA.
It raises your score 200,000 guaranteed! Through :idea:science!
:idea:

no really...what the christ is that label?

*ahem*

Ich stochere Deutschland testikel

Good day Mr. Edgeworth. ^_^

Edge wrote:
Keade wrote:I'm not giving orders to anyone, but, for the top scorers playing with MAME, it could be interesting to record your games, because there seems to be no decent run of this game on the Internet...
I am agreeing with you there. I actually wanted to suggest something like that. :)

Also with enough replays a superplay-mix video would be possible for each year's STGT. We could show the nickname and Teambanner during the video footage. Like they do in fighting game combo movies. :wink:
Maybe DJI would be up to create such a movie after the tournament? These runs don't have to be your final top score, it can also be another "good" run.

What do you guys think of that?
Well, if somebody would want me to do a Superplay Mix for them as I do it, they'd need to record their play with the BGM/music turned off and SFX left on. But most games don't allow that option....like this game...

But from what you describe...you sound like you want a highlight reel. For I would mix together clips of everything recorded during this tournament (in Rob/Pirate1019's form) while labeling the content provided, his rankings, team, etc. That'd be kinda cool. We'll see how much content the people put out. I would prefer up-front if everybody who records does it on highest quality and keeps their best-quality master files of all weeks so things could be arranged later if this were to be done...

shit-runs and elite-runs all qualify. I can work with all :)
Last edited by DJ Incompetent on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

professor ganson - team turbo - 1,570,960 - stage 4 - SS
javel

Post by javel »

Finally getting the hang of this.

Javel - Team Sweden - 2,121,400 - Stage 4 (MAME)

Edit: Javel - Team Sweden - 2,664,080 - Stage 5 (MAME)
Last edited by javel on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
ArcticXC

Post by ArcticXC »

ArcticXC - International Worker's Shmup Team - 2.393,300 - Stage 5 - MAME

Wooo, finally broke 2 million and got to stage 5 for once. Really nice after scoring 1.9 million 3 or 4 times in a row.

Thank you New Belgium. <3

Image Mmmm...
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Two million barrier get!

The Coop - Old Schoolers - 2,237,820 - Stage 5
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

ED-057 - Oldschoolers - 2,244,240 - stage 5 - (MAME)

BTW, How many stages are there? only 5 or are there more?
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

ED-057 wrote: BTW, How many stages are there? only 5 or are there more?
Theres 6, but 6 doesnt have a boss (unless there is some kind of TLB I don't know about)
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Holy FUCK I just pulled teh run of jesus

SiKrAiKeN was right....960,000 in stage 1.

DJ Incompetent - Drink & Fly - 3,708,730 - 5 - PSX

Skyrandia

Post by Skyrandia »

This post was directed to other players encouraging them to record some of their runs.
The only replay I'd ever want to see is one from SiKrAiKeN once he has practised a bit.

I don't know about any of his performances in any other games, but I can tell that this guy is a SHMUPS grand master with the 3 million+ performance on his first go in this game!!!
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Haha, I hope you're kidding. : ) I think I played the first level of the game a few years ago, so technically it wasn't my first go... anyway. I've played some Detana!! Twin Bee as well before. It was just conservative play and luck on my part. I'm nothing special.

There are a lot of different people's replays I'd like to see this week. I'm interested in what quite a few players can accomplish on this.
Skyrandia

Post by Skyrandia »

Hahaha your pretty modest as well SiKrAiKeN.

Maybe I am overating you, but that first score you obtained is damn impressive when I compare it to other peoples scores that they submitted after I'm assuming 10 or more attempts.
javel

Post by javel »

Javel - Team Sweden - 3,028,880 - Stage 5 (MAME)

Edit typo again... what the heck, I cant even remeber seven digits.
Arvandor

Post by Arvandor »

Arvandor - Team Fremont - 1,786,140 - 4 - MAME

We'll see if I end up being able to beat my score. I found out some things about how the bells work, and now my survival has gone all to hell because I try too hard to get pink or green bells on every one... It ... doesn't work so well. Mostly because I suck =) I need to be able to stay ignorant to a game's scoring mechanics. I do better when I'm just blowing stuff up.

Edit: Bwaha, I did beat my score. Not by enough to warrant posting it though (at least not so soon after my last one). First time on the fourth boss, and by all rights I should have had him, but I made the mistake of ceasing fire when one of the twins went down, and BOOM!
Last edited by Arvandor on Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Turrican - Oldschoolers - 2.016.660 - Stage 5

Okay, 2m barrier broken. Thanks to my invaluable teammates for all the strategic support!! :)

I love this game.
X - P - B
CIT

Post by CIT »

CIT - Sturmvogel - 2'006'840 - Stage 5 - PSX
Infintium

Post by Infintium »

Infintium - The Underdogs - 1,955,580 - Stage 5 (MAME)
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

Hmm!? So I guess some people want a superplay of this game?

Well there is one over at www.mogrep.jp!

The catch? Its only a practice mode replay, hohoahoahoao!!!
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Turrican wrote:Turrican - Oldschoolers - 2.016.660 - Stage 5

Okay, 2m barrier broken. Thanks to my invaluable teammates for all the strategic support!! :)

I love this game.

HA HA HA HA, oldschoolers is NOTHING WITHOUT ME! No one of you guys have a better score than me so far.

:) :)
SiKrAiKeN was right....960,000 in stage 1.
I've made 1.1 million at one run. 1.6 million is sick, I see how Sikraiken say it's possible... but goddamn, I REALLY would love to see someone doing it. Combined scores with 2 players would be easier.

It's also pretty weird to get TWO extends at the first stage, any other game does that? :) (I think Konami didn't believe people would abuse the score system so much :D)
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

Shatterhand wrote: It's also pretty weird to get TWO extends at the first stage, any other game does that? :) (I think Konami didn't believe people would abuse the score system so much :D)
You have to remember the extends arnt even part of the default settings, though.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

crithit5000 - lets destroy stgt07 - 2,018,900 - 4 - MAME
now tighter than your sister
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

this gotta be the MOST balanced competition ever in the STGT, isn't? I mean the difference between the 16th and the 27th is incredibly small, and the overall diference between each competitor and the next one right ahead is pretty small at nearly all places.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Shatterhand wrote: I've made 1.1 million at one run. 1.6 million is sick, I see how Sikraiken say it's possible... but goddamn, I REALLY would love to see someone doing it. Combined scores with 2 players would be easier.
1.6M (without dying, anyway) requires you to get all the bells as 57,300. While it is technically possible, you need to be really good and quick at getting those bells, or else you end up missing things like the points from the "midboss". After having played the game more now, I don't really think anyone has or ever will do it.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

SiKrAiKeN wrote:1.6M (without dying, anyway) requires you to get all the bells as 57,300. While it is technically possible, you need to be really good and quick at getting those bells, or else you end up missing things like the points from the "midboss". After having played the game more now, I don't really think anyone has or ever will do it.
Consistency is better. 1.6mil is a top-end score but you'd be poorly placed for the rest of the game with regards to powered-up status, and scoring in the second stage without a single speedup is near-impossible. I'm more comfortable with averaging 950k-1.1mil from stage1 and being perfectly set up to get ~1.5mil from stage2, than maxing out the stage1 score and leaving myself with a ton of work in the next stage.

Also, can you confirm if there's an end of game bonus?
I've heard people say there is, but personally I don't think there is.
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Icarus wrote:
SiKrAiKeN wrote:1.6M (without dying, anyway) requires you to get all the bells as 57,300. While it is technically possible, you need to be really good and quick at getting those bells, or else you end up missing things like the points from the "midboss". After having played the game more now, I don't really think anyone has or ever will do it.
Consistency is better. 1.6mil is a top-end score but you'd be poorly placed for the rest of the game with regards to powered-up status, and scoring in the second stage without a single speedup is near-impossible. I'm more comfortable with averaging 950k-1.1mil from stage1 and being perfectly set up to get ~1.5mil from stage2, than maxing out the stage1 score and leaving myself with a ton of work in the next stage.

Also, can you confirm if there's an end of game bonus?
I've heard people say there is, but personally I don't think there is.
There is no end of game bonus. And yes, you're right about consistency, what kind of score you should be looking for, etc. :)
Macaw

Post by Macaw »

Icarus wrote: Consistency is better. 1.6mil is a top-end score but you'd be poorly placed for the rest of the game with regards to powered-up status, and scoring in the second stage without a single speedup is near-impossible. I'm more comfortable with averaging 950k-1.1mil from stage1 and being perfectly set up to get ~1.5mil from stage2, than maxing out the stage1 score and leaving myself with a ton of work in the next stage.
Shot power ups arnt really all that useful though, as long as you have options. I still max white bells out though, because I cant be bothered juggling stuff for too long before a 53k bonus.
MA7

Post by MA7 »

MA7 - Team Lurker - 1,516,630 - Level 4 - MAME

I'm inconsistent on level 2
level 3 boss and punchy guy give me problems
level 4 goes wrong quickly. It's the cat paws coming round the bridges which really do me in