I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: I'm so glad that Hamster's Arcade Archives are a thing.

Post by Steven »

WTF ACA has Cyber Stick games? I thought the new Cyber Stick was just for the Mega Drive Mini 2 and PC. That's interesting. I wonder how many other games on there have support for it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I get the feeling Hamster designed the control config as open-endedly as possible, so that, whether you've an arcade stick, a flightstick, or a Cyber Stick - or even a custom rig, ala this movingly beautiful creation Image Image - you'll be able to tailor the game to it. There's options determining analogue deadzones, stick sensitivity, as well as whether the controls are even analogue at all - you can go with Digital instead, for a natural tradeoff of speed VS precision. I'm experimenting with this approach, currently on a stock DS4.

Offhand, I wonder if Thunder Ceptor might work? :shock: That sounds off the goddamn chain, now you mention other possible candidates!
Jonpachi wrote:I'm not someone prone to motion sickness in games, but this one... :| I can't play this for more than a few minutes before I start to go cross-eyed. It's a neat little graphical trick for its time, but hats off to anyone who can really get into a session on this one and not come away dizzy.
I'd not considered that at all :oops: Sorry to hear bud, it does indeed get ridiculous a couple stages in, at least the way I've been approaching it; the heli pogoing across the battlefield like a monstrously well-armed spacehopper. :mrgreen: (I find the trick is to "refresh" your vertical position as new enemies take shots at you, slipping past would-be killshots to smash the varmints responsible; not at all unlike the staple Bullet Herder technique, simply in Z rather than X/Y)

Maybe the divorcing of the game from its cab heightens the potential for motion sickness, I dunno. There's always its seek/destroy brother in arms Assault Image While they play radically differently, the combination of rugged heavy machine handling and fiendishly compelling Time Attacker seek/destroy is unmistakable, as are Hosoe and Noguchi's pummellingly funky tunes.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I played a lot of Descent and it's sequel. Nothing phases me anymore after that. lol
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Fucking Metal Hawk! Fuck Yeah!

MJR wrote:
SavagePencil wrote:I'm sad that M2 wasn't able to get Thunderblade over to the SEGA AGES series. I am excited to try this one. If I can get the Cyberstick working with it, I'll try and upload a video. I've got a Cronus Zen that I think will let me do the remapping I need.
This 1000%, Thunderblade is my no.1 wanted rails on/top down 2,5D shmup since I never got myself 3DS. I love Thunderblade, it was one of my top favourite coin-ops back in the 1989. I loved the top-down shmup sequences with all the added perspective, ESPECIALLY that lvl.3 boss plane with the incredible sense of scale. I don't think that was ever topped, in a sense of scale, atmosphere and (visual sense of) depth. Otherwise the game is short and there is not much to play, and it was reasonably easy to 1cc.

Fun fact: In late 1989, I had a highscore competition over thunderblade with a guy who wrote his nick as "KGB" on the highscore table. So obviously I wrote my nick as "CIA". We were both able to 1cc the game so we just competed who can milk for more scores. Eventually I won, and I kept using 'CIA' as my highscore entry, until in early 00's, when I changed it to 'CAI' - for reasons I can't quite remember any more. Whenever I am not doing a proper highscore entry for somewhere where I want it saved, I always use 'CAI'. With a saved entry for shmups forum or online, it's 'MJR' :D

M2 went above and beyond for 3D Thunder Blade on 3DS. They added a 5th stage and boss for Special Mode that wasn't in the arcade. And so much more, i.e. Gyro/tilt controls.
The 3D effect is amazing, and second only to 3D Galaxy Force II in how impressive it is.

Here's the archived interview with M2.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150516013 ... de-part-1/
https://web.archive.org/web/20150516013 ... de-part-2/

You really owe it to yourself to get a New 3DS or New 3DS XL (with its improved stable 3D) and a physical copy of Sega 3D Classics Collection (since the 3DS eshop is gone).
Last edited by OldSkoolShmuper on Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Not only is that a killer piece, it's bang-on accurate to CANAL ZONE, where you can let off steam by flattening ImageFight's title screen to rubble :cool:
Udderdude wrote:I played a lot of Descent and it's sequel. Nothing phases me anymore after that. lol
I remember playin DS1's demo with 1337 NUMPAD controls and buddy looking over my shoulder having to run out the room Image
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Galaga will be the first Arcade Archives game of 2023.
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1606092268724572160
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
MJR

Post by MJR »

OldSkoolShmuper wrote: M2 went above and beyond for 3D Thunder Blade on 3DS. They added a 5th stage and boss for Special Mode that wasn't in the arcade. And so much more, i.e. Gyro/tilt controls.
The 3D effect is amazing, and second only to 3D Galaxy Force II in how impressive it is.

Here's the archived interview with M2.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150516013 ... de-part-1/
https://web.archive.org/web/20150516013 ... de-part-2/

You really owe it to yourself to get a New 3DS or New 3DS XL (with its improved stable 3D) and a physical copy of Sega 3D Classics Collection (since the 3DS eshop is gone).
I nearly fainted when I saw that Sega ages 3D classics collection was nearly 300 euros on ebay - but that was for the japanese version. The US version goes for 10% of that price, similar to what used 3ds xl goes. So it's not totally impossible idea. Thanks.
BIL

Post by BIL »

So that day/night cycle in Metal Hawk, it wraps back around to morning at Mission 5. :cool: To a startlingly menacing new Map BGM, even! Missions definitely seem to rank up - Airbase, AFAIK can't be reached earlier than fourth/day1, where it's already a bit warm. Leave it to fifth/day 2, and the enemies go 100% kill-on-sight - which is good, because particularly with the Time Attack pressure, the feeling is consummately mutual! Image That nest of zako heli, god damn all hell breaks loose when they ping you and come screaming up, come in steaming hot or not at all Image Image

MFW TANK BUSTER Image
Spoiler

As always when a new-to-me AC-styled title really grabs me, I've deliberately stuck to one-credit runs for now, current best rank Marshal / Mission 6. Flying Fortress may be best dealt with early. :mrgreen: I wanted this on ACA from day 1 (btw Splatterhouse & Rolling Thunder 2 pls :3), but I'd no idea how squarely it'd grab me. Image A topdown seek/destroy, time attack AND arcade-sim heavy machine cornucopia; so many favourite AC things in the same ultra-lean kliller package. Don't ignore your altimeter! Super-handy getting it juuust right at ~300ft for high-altitude bombardments.

Will have to wait until next week to get really stuck in again but it's been a blast. Must investigate Cyber Stick, particularly if there's more where this came from!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:Galaga will be the first Arcade Archives game of 2023.
https://twitter.com/famitsu/status/1606092268724572160
Hell, it's about time.
BIL

Post by BIL »

All's well that ends well, but they did kinda go about that in the most ass-backwards fashion imaginable with Gaplus, Galaxian, then Galaga. :lol:

I wonder if those Namco Arrangement boards might appear, at some point. Always been curious about those.

EDIT: yep, that ACA NeoGeo sale is indeed legit. 2nd Squad isn't perfect like OG Shock Troopers - get that first - but I still like it a lot. Chugs a bit, and the toytown aesthetic's a bit weird, but it's solidly hard-hitting topdown run/gun killathon regardless. One of those games that'd be a much simpler recommend without its legendary name. :mrgreen:

And indeed, again, Big Tournament Golf/Neo Turf Masters is a diamond, grab that one for sure. KOF2002 is an enduring classic, almost certainly the best MVS entry along with KOF98. I want to like the King Of The Monsters games for their rad monster designs, but I can't get along with the mashy mechanics. AKI N64 wrasslin, specfically VIRTUAL PRO WRESTLING 2, now that is pedigree (haw!) VG wrasslin. No mash, just thrash n' gash. Image Image
SavagePencil

Post by SavagePencil »

What’s the sweet spot (or even threshold) for air-to-ground missiles to hit ground enemies? I feel like when the reticle shows up, I’m well within range, but I also can’t camp out in the sky and hit anything.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Threshold seems to be 300ft and under; Canal Zone is a handy place to try it out, with those long blocks of buildings. At 299, you can cruise along carving 'em up like cake (just 4pts a pop, but it adds up).

That that, ImageFight title screen! (■`w´■)
Spoiler

Of course the tradeoff is targets being much smaller, and ground enemies being able to hit you, too. Between ground-to-air attacks, and enemy aircraft actively chasing you down, using high altitude (300-400ft) to spot targets before aggressively divebombing is highly effective.

I notice your airspeed seems to drop a bit at very low altitudes (must be the air pressure, that arcade/sim goodness :cool:). Trying to catch the Flying Fortress, it doesn't seem possible while down below. Up top, it's no trouble getting ahead of it, then diving for a nice strafing run along its cockpit and fuselage, all its flak handily dodged. This works great on other large targets with multiple guns and target points, too, like the trio of frigates in Cross Fire. Particularly when being harassed by zako in later missions, an aggressive swooping rhythm - divebomb, escape, repeat, while gunning down zako in your path - will keep you on-target, yet out of enemy gunsights.
Atariboy

Post by Atariboy »

OldSkoolShmuper wrote:You really owe it to yourself to get a New 3DS or New 3DS XL (with its improved stable 3D) and a physical copy of Sega 3D Classics Collection (since the 3DS eshop is gone).
The 3DS eShop is very much still alive.

All that has ended is the ability to add funds directly to a Nintendo Network ID (the account system used on the Wii U & 3DS). You just have to link it with a newer Nintendo Account (as used on the Switch) and select to have funds merged between accounts, and add credit to the Nintendo Account which will be shared with the older account system used on the Wii U/3DS. And while most Wii U/3DS owners also own a Switch, one doesn't even need to own a Switch to do all of this in the unlikely event that they don't own one. Creating a Nintendo Account, linking it with a Nintendo Network ID, merging funds, and adding credit to it are all able to be done from Nintendo's website.

Next March though purchasing content will end for the 3DS and Wii U eShops, so the clock is ticking down fast for officially acquiring DLC on these two systems. But even then the shop will still be online for the time being for redownloading of past purchases, with no date announced for the eventual full closure of it (Much like the still online Wii and DSi shops that saw the cessation of purchasing years ago).
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Not sure if it was somehow noted before, but Bubble Bobble is next up.
Sturmvogel Prime

Post by Sturmvogel Prime »

Skyknight wrote:Not sure if it was somehow noted before, but Bubble Bobble is next up.
The Switch-only release. Looks like this week we're not gonna see anything for the PS4.
Fan of Transformers, Shmups and Anime-styled Girls. You're teamed up with the right pilot!
Bringing you shmup and video game reviews with humorous criticism.

STG Wikias: Thunder Force Wiki - Wikiheart Exelica - Ginga Force Wiki
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Skyknight wrote:Not sure if it was somehow noted before, but Bubble Bobble is next up.
Day 1 purchase for me. I've always liked Bubble Bobble but never owned it for any console. I played Liquid Kids, and thanks to ACA now I've played Saboten and Zupapa. But single screen platformers weren't part of my childhood.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Nice!

Got some special memories of Bubble Bobble. I worked on Probe, back in 1997, when they were converting Bubble Bobble and Rainbow Islands for PS1. Producers at Probe wanted to do arcade perfect conversion - they had both coin ops there at the office, and also the original photocopied design document for Rainbow Islands from Taito, which was actually a photocopy obtained from Graftgold who did the 68000 conversions (meaning Amiga and ST). I remember browsing through the document, it was super thorough, game was described in the tiniest detail - but in japanese and no one knew how to read it.

Anyway, Acclaim told them that making arcade perfect conversion would cost too much money, so they were forced to take the source code from Amiga / ST versions, "improve" the graphics and add CGI intro. It was an abomination. I remember the graphics artist who touched up the graphics into 256 colors hating the game. They brought David Broadhurst in, who converted Bubble Bobble for amiga. David explained to me how the enemy AI was more advanced in the arcade original. When you jumped on platform above them, they followed you by jumping up after you. Amiga and ST versions never did that. They didn't have multiple endings either. Producers at Probe were painfully aware of it, but what could they do? Acclaim was calling the shots and they didnt give a shit about the game, conversions for them were just a easy way to make money by exploiting the IP.

I used to play Bubble Bobble at the office with my workmate at every possible break. We eventually beat it, and found out about multiple endings, ultimate one being the one which could only reached by activating the 'Super Bubble Bobble mode'.
In that one, I noticed some weird bonuses which I never saw since. Like small salarymen dropping down at level 98 as collectable items. You could also make highscore screen blink if you typed your initials as 'SEX'. I heard from somewhere later that Bubble Bobble had notably difficult time getting emulated properly - the item counters never worked on any conversions and emulations like the arcade hardware. That's why I never saw some of the more exotic items dropping on home versions or Mame. But apparently it is emulated correctly now.

I'm not sure if any other game brings me as much memories as Bubble Bobble. It just is special to me. Having it finally for Switch is god-send, even though the original arcade cabinet can be found in a local pub at my hometown :D
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Fantastic story, thanks for sharing that!
OldSkoolShmuper

Post by OldSkoolShmuper »

Atariboy wrote:
OldSkoolShmuper wrote:You really owe it to yourself to get a New 3DS or New 3DS XL (with its improved stable 3D) and a physical copy of Sega 3D Classics Collection (since the 3DS eshop is gone).
The 3DS eShop is very much still alive.

All that has ended is the ability to add funds directly to a Nintendo Network ID (the account system used on the Wii U & 3DS). You just have to link it with a newer Nintendo Account (as used on the Switch) and select to have funds merged between accounts, and add credit to the Nintendo Account which will be shared with the older account system used on the Wii U/3DS. And while most Wii U/3DS owners also own a Switch, one doesn't even need to own a Switch to do all of this in the unlikely event that they don't own one. Creating a Nintendo Account, linking it with a Nintendo Network ID, merging funds, and adding credit to it are all able to be done from Nintendo's website.

Next March though purchasing content will end for the 3DS and Wii U eShops, so the clock is ticking down fast for officially acquiring DLC on these two systems. But even then the shop will still be online for the time being for redownloading of past purchases, with no date announced for the eventual full closure of it (Much like the still online Wii and DSi shops that saw the cessation of purchasing years ago).
Thank you for the correction. Somehow I was thinking it was gone.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sturmvogel Prime wrote:Looks like this week we're not gonna see anything for the PS4.
Well worth it imo. I used to feel like a goddamn war criminal recommending ACA BB, only for Switch-only players to ask me where it was on the eshop. :shock: An old injustice corrected. :mrgreen:

Obligatory: WTB ACA RAINBOW ISLANDS PLZ Image Image Image
SPM

Post by SPM »

BIL wrote:I used to feel like a goddamn war criminal recommending ACA BB
As you should! I fell victim to such crimes!! :cry: :mrgreen:
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Grabbed Switch Bubble Bobble, pleased to see it has what I’ve called the “good scanlines”, with options for soft/sharp scanline type and thickness selection (as compared to the more common AA option with just Screen Filter options of off/00/A1-A5/B1-B5). Wish they could apply those excellent filters to all of the AA titles!

Usually the releases with those options had Gotch involvement, right? Is there any good resource to determine that? Feels like they usually show up with games from specific publishers/hardware - like some of the earlier UPL, Tecmo, Technos, and Nichibutsu releases. Which is interesting with Bubble Bobble because typically we don’t see these options with Taito AA games.
BIL

Post by BIL »

hamfighterx wrote:Grabbed Switch Bubble Bobble, please to see it has what I’ve called the “good scanlines”, with options for soft/sharp scanline type and and thickness selection.

Usually the releases with those options had Gotch involvement, right? Is there any good resource to determine that?
That's definitely their calling card - the only PS4 ACA titles I know of with Soft/Sharp scanline options have "Conversion Worked By Gotch" at the title screen. I seem to recall that feature actually coming about with the Switch releases of stuff like Thunder Cross, then being applied retroactively to the long-existing PS4 versions... would be nice to see similar happen with BB.

Always been a bit of a grab-bag, ACA; a few universal constants like low input latency and pixel-sharp video output aside. I was just messing about with Gradius II last night, and found a bunch of new options they'd patched in around 2021. Had to bust out the OCR to figure out what I was looking at. :mrgreen:

Spoiler

Basically an early rev of what's now globally presented as "Preference Settings," under "Game Settings." That first option (a confusingly-worded input latency reduction) is another Gotch trademark, it's in all of their ACA Konami STGs like A-JAX, Thunder Cross, and Flak Attack.

I'd love to see official commentary on this project someday, legality allowing (I know Japanese devs can be pretty tight-lipped)..
Last edited by BIL on Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Interesting. I was tracking which Switch releases had the “good scanlines” for a while, but lost track at some point. May go back and try to compile a list at some point soon :)
BIL wrote:That's definitely their calling card - the only PS4 ACA titles I know of with Soft/Sharp scanline options have "Conversion Worked By Gotch" at the title screen.
Ohhh and yep, that’s in there on the Bubble Bobble title screen, I overlooked it before. So, confirmed Gotch release here. Seems like their typical high quality work too, from my brief playtime so far.
Last edited by hamfighterx on Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
velo

Post by velo »

Make way for The NewZealand Story on Jan 26
BIL

Post by BIL »

velo wrote:Make way for The NewZealand Story on Jan 26
Helll yeah Image

...at this rate I'm sure we'll get Bubble Symphony and Memories before RI, but as long as they keep on truckin', you know? :lol:
CRP

Post by CRP »

Yes !
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

MJR wrote:I heard from somewhere later that Bubble Bobble had notably difficult time getting emulated properly - the item counters never worked on any conversions and emulations like the arcade hardware. That's why I never saw some of the more exotic items dropping on home versions or Mame. But apparently it is emulated correctly now.
The first version of Bubble Bobble that actually worked in MAME was one of the bootleg versions .. lol. Not surprising they had difficulty properly emulating it over the years, given how many hidden secrets and tricky behavior it has.
Kiwi Kraze! lol.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Got a nubbeh Metal Hawk no-miss; SCURRED AF @ final stage with its kill-on-sight turrets and hyperaggressively dogpiling zako, made the quota by the skin of my teeth. It's really more of a Time Attack game, so a survival clear is no great achievement really; going straight for the most lucrative (and jealously-guarded) targets is absolute white-knuckle hardcore. :cool:

Rad game; no regrets putting it in my top 3 ACA Namco wants with Splatterhouse and Rolling Thunder 2 (wtb those though >;3). Judging by the amount of Staff Roll dedicated to electrical engineering and drive motors, it clearly had one foot in the "Amusement Machine" world, making its pure STG/Seek-And-Destroy chops all the more impressive.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

Bought Bubble Bobble as I said. Very fun game that I suck super hard at. I will play it more. I like the concept of being forced to position correctly to produce popping chains and/or pop enemies on command. Yes, I'm aware I am many decades late to the party on this one.

I also picked up King of the Monsters while it was on sale. Hoo boy. I already bought KotM 2, so I knew what I was in for. But I had heard the first game was slightly better. It is. Slightly. I tried to play deliberately, using strats I'd seen from 1cc vids. But the game still feels so fucking random. I have no idea how you do grab escapes or reversals or anything involving grappling without smashing the buttons relentlessly and praying. When you get knocked down, it takes for-fucking-ever to stand back up. No idea if or how you can stand up faster. You have a running attack, which seems to consistently deal solid damage if it lands. But if you launch the attack with even slightly incorrect timing, the computer will perfectly counterhit you 100% of the time.

The aesthetics of KotM are flawless. I would love to see an excellent game made with this concept and art direction. I love the presentation and the idea behind the game. Giant monster wrassling across Tokyo is too good an idea not to use. But the gameplay is kind of insufferable. It's not as ruthless as KotM 2, but the kid gloves still come off by the third match.