The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
EmperorIng

Re: The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by EmperorIng »

I know this topic of discussion has come up before, but what do you all think of the Strike series on the Genesis (Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, and Urban Strike)? Not every game needs to be blistering Japanese arcade action :P The games have a kind of early PC aesthetic about them, at least in their flow: large open maps, multiple objectives, only ambient sounds in-game. Plus the attempts at realism through inertia and a marginally tricky control scheme.

I've only played Desert and Jungle, and I prefer Jungle's more varied levels (and upping the ante: blowing up the white house for laughs!). I've also played Soviet Strike (PS1/SAT), which I liked quite a bit but it doesn't really fit this topic.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I preferred the more focused approach of Desert Strike. Jungle went a bit overboard with vehicles and the F-117 was nowhere as fun as I thought it'd be (what did I crash into this time??). I never finished Urban, can't remember why but didn't find the missions as engaging. I think it was the one that opened with "destroy trucks, pick up fragile mirrors, smash mirrors accidentally, almost give up on game".

Soviet I found really hard to spot what was what and tell crates apart. Didn't get very far last time I played, something about stopping an aircraft carrier that always got away.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I still need to play Desert Strike. I have both that and Jungle Strike. I like what I have played of it.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

BrianC wrote:I still need to play Desert Strike. I have both that and Jungle Strike. I like what I have played of it.
DS is really good but better on the Amiga as I recall.
More Bromances = safer people
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I just began playing The Adventures of Batman & Robin - it is bloody hard going - wow!

http://segaretro.org/The_Adventures_of_ ... ega_Drive)

A technical marvel and those graphics match the Batman aesthetic very well.

I am very impressed. I need to find a decent 2P now to stand a chance :)
GSK

Post by GSK »

Here's a little piece of advice for Batman & Robin that I wish I had when I was playing it:
Spoiler
when you reach any level that vaguely resembles a shmup, pause the game, press B A Down B A Down Left Up C and just fuckin' skip straight past it.
Imhotep

Post by Imhotep »

Batman & Robin ain't that hard after a short while, not near arcade difficulty anyway; stick to the green weapon and level it up, it helps a lot.

I love the game, largely because of the sound design.
land for man to live, sea for machine to function.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

MintyTheCat wrote:
BrianC wrote:I still need to play Desert Strike. I have both that and Jungle Strike. I like what I have played of it.
DS is really good but better on the Amiga as I recall.
I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the Amiga version was a quickie port. It might be another EA game I thinking of, though.

edit: Yeah, Amiga definitely looks like a nice version. I was definitely thinking of another game. I know some EA published games are better on the Amiga, but some of EA's PC ports were inferior to their Genesis counterparts.
Last edited by BrianC on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Imhotep wrote:Batman & Robin ain't that hard after a short while, not near arcade difficulty anyway; stick to the green weapon and level it up, it helps a lot.

I hope it will become easier - I cannot get past the first level yet :D

I chose the red weapon first of all but I will have a go with the green and see how it goes.
BIL

Post by BIL »

EmperorIng wrote:I know this topic of discussion has come up before, but what do you all think of the Strike series on the Genesis (Desert Strike, Jungle Strike, and Urban Strike)?
A couple years back, I was actually interested in picking up an NTSCJ copy of Desert Strike... is CHEEP, I have a weird thing for Western games in JP format, and most importantly: I was quite digging the change of pace and always fun arcade/sim ethos. But the bloody, asperiffic destiny of glitchfinder general is a merciless one, and the happy event was not to be... Image
SOME NITPICKY ASSHOLE ಠ_ಠ wrote:Considering picking up Desert Strike, but wouldn't you know it - the controls are bugged. Try playing with the "From Overhead" control scheme for awesome arcadey maneuvering! But don't adjust the buttons so that you can comfortably strafe with C while rapidly tapping B - every time you jink the scheme will revert to that shitty "From Cockpit" setting. FML. Might stick with it since playing with my index finger on A and tapping with insult finger and ring finger isn't too bad.
Maybe there's a workaround? Or maybe the other control schemes aren't as bothersome as I recalled. I shall have to revisit! Oh, how I love the similarly strafey Granada's hyper-malleable control config.
Rob

Post by Rob »

BIL wrote:I have a weird thing for Western games in JP format,
Chameleon Kid
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Imhotep wrote:Batman & Robin ain't that hard after a short while, not near arcade difficulty anyway; stick to the green weapon and level it up, it helps a lot.

You are right; getting past the first level was a lot harder than the levels afterwards. I managed to nearly take out Two-Face. What a fantastic game.
I have been using the red weapon but I will try the green one - thanks.
Enzo03

Post by Enzo03 »

Been messing around with Truxton on Genesis. Specifically, I'm trying to switch regions to JP through Game Genie codes since I'm playing on the real hardware.

Currently I'm using this code, but it doesn't seem to fully work: A2HA-AN46 -- it's the only code I've found here.

On an emulator, setting the region to JP works as I'm intending. This is most easily seen when the first pair of minibosses appears -- they'll have an additional triple-shot on hard mode like the PCE and arcade versions. But when I have the region set to US (or if I play on my console, which is US) while using the above code, the "TATSUJIN" splash screen appears, but there's no triple-shot from those minibosses. I haven't played all the way through the JP version so I wouldn't know what else would be missing, but this one comes up pretty quick.

Somewhat funny is that if I run the game in an emulator set to JP, and I have the Game Genie code on, the initial splash screen actually shows up as "TRUXTON" but still has the bullet patterns of the JP version. It's as if the only thing being changed is the splash screen.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Today, I learned Senjou no Okami II's Original mode has a hidden XTREEM/NIGHTMARE/SMASH TV difficulty. I noticed the default HS table seemed to be hinting at something... Image Consulting TEH FAQS, I was advised that starting Original mode by holding A+B+C+START would enable "faster and smarter enemies." Well... it kind of does that. Ordinarily, zako can randomly spawn with SUICIDE BOMBA attributes. No grenades, limited shooting, sprints straight at you for monstrous kamikaze damage. They're bad news bub! You see where this is going, don't you? Yes, now every single one of the fuckers is hopped up and wired to blow.

It makes things pretty miserable TBH. :lol: Try beating my heroic survival record of, uh, Mission 2! Astute of the devs to make this a hidden bonus - it's definitely cool to have around, as if SOIIMD wasn't already, but brutally unrefined. A real masochist mode.

Renews my appreciation for Hard mode's near-perfect "coinop ARPG" difficulty. Those unmarked kamikazes are a really cool idea, employed with appropriate restraint.
TransatlanticFoe

Tried it and hit Mission 8! Disclaimer: PAL Mercs. Mission 7 boss left me with just Rifle with a sliver of health so I died pretty much straight away!

This mode means stage 1 is really brutal and the boss fight was a hell of a relief. Found it easier once you get Rifle a couple of speed ups and you can outrun the enemies that come from behind! Burner is good for crowd control, switch to a sped-up Rifle when you're surrounded. Burner is especially useful in the swamp where you get knife enemies popping up everywhere, and in fact I spent most of the time with him. I'm sure the tanks and missile trucks fire faster, and both they and the bosses have more health. Sacrificed launcher and laser for damage at boss battles because their narrow shots are useless during the main game in this mode.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Nice - I did suspect the nasty entry curve would level off once you'd toughed it out and MERC'd up some spoils for the firm. ;3 That opening beach skirmish is ridiculous at base movement speed.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

GSK wrote:Here's a little piece of advice for Batman & Robin that I wish I had when I was playing it:
Spoiler
when you reach any level that vaguely resembles a shmup, pause the game, press B A Down B A Down Left Up C and just fuckin' skip straight past it.

You are so right . Those stages just drag on for no reason and getting life that flies away is just stupid.
Music is amazing.
Arms installation complete Good luck
TransatlanticFoe

BIL wrote:Nice - I did suspect the nasty entry curve would level off once you'd toughed it out and MERC'd up some spoils for the firm. ;3 That opening beach skirmish is ridiculous at base movement speed.
Haven't reached those dizzy heights since... the first two levels are really intense, one mistake and you don't have that mega crash when you need it. Lose Rifle or Burner and it's as good as game over - medals spent on reviving characters are medals you need for loading up on mega crashes! Definitely gets easier once you've powered them up though, that stage 7 boss got me because I remembered too late that Laser was still alive. A good trick in a pinch is to take a bullet instead of a suicide soldier, use the invinciblity window for a quick clearout!

Still it's a nice new challenge for a game I rinsed a few years ago, maybe there's a different ending...
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Is any particular Gain Ground version preferable to another? (Assuming it's gonna be played emulated.)
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The PC Engine CD version annoyingly does not show the entire field, which hurts being able to strategize dealing with larger groups (and can potentially force you into a nasty ambush from a hitherto off-screen enemy). The MD port is uglier, but offers more in the realm of playability and balance.

===

Is there any way to be good at Gauntlet? Playing as one player it just seems as if you are constantly overwhelmed by the dozens upon dozens of enemies. Maybe that's part of the fun and charm, though I've yet to come up with decent strategies for the game.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I too am a Gauntlet nub, but one useful starter tip - note that treasure and other items will block monsters. Sounds minor but you need all the crowd control assistance you can get, so don't compulsively hoover up goodies! Channel monsters around them where possible. Naturally, DONT SHOOT FOOD

FWIW the game's been owned to hell and back, so it's definitely not impossible to get a handle on.

I've spent more time in the Quest mode tbh. :oops: Much lower base difficulty, but forging a path through each tower adds an almost action/puzzler dimension. Along with real dungeon looting action (treasure=CASH MONEY), and the sublime Sakimoto/Iwata music, it's most engrossing!
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Finally put some time into Undead Line today. Took awhile to get to it.

I.... am really at a loss for words at how shitty it is. I mean, it would be perfectly fine if it was a normal game. But it's not a normal game. They reached into the bowels of a dead giraffe to pull out one of the biggest loads I've ever seen: the chest cycling system.

Then to look up the computer versions on Youtube and to discover... multiple characters? No cycling chest BS? Class changing?

Altogether makes me feel like a real-life AVGN. Who's responsible for this abomination of a port. This affront to basic human decency. I don't want them to apologize or to go back and fix it. I want them to explain to me why it was done this way.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yet it goes for $200 on eNay.

Life.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

BryanM wrote:Finally put some time into Undead Line today. Took awhile to get to it.

I.... am really at a loss for words at how shitty it is. I mean, it would be perfectly fine if it was a normal game. But it's not a normal game. They reached into the bowels of a dead giraffe to pull out one of the biggest loads I've ever seen: the chest cycling system.
Gradius II Announcer wrote:YOU NEED SOME PRACTICE!
8)

The chests are always the same, the items always cycle through the same order. That's a non-issue.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

The MD Port is great.

We are great.

You are not great.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sounds like Bryan just needed a good...

Undead Whine. Image

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Spoiler
Xyga wrote:Yet it goes for $200 on eNay.

Life.
Sounds like collecting games these days can put you on the...

unBreadLine. Image

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
Spoiler
Rob

Post by Rob »

BryanM wrote:I.... am really at a loss for words at how shitty it is. I mean, it would be perfectly fine if it was a normal game. But it's not a normal game. They reached into the bowels of a dead giraffe to pull out one of the biggest loads I've ever seen: the chest cycling system.
I can't believe my eyes. You weren't expecting support for this opinion on shumps.org, I hope.

Chest cycling - they needed to make sure you can accidentally swill some poison when you wanted a power-up! Good idea.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Undead Line MD is awesome. Very adrenaline soaked 1cc.
Is it expensive nowadays???
BIL

Post by BIL »

Been pricey for a few years now, unfortunately. Not to the levels of Twinkle Tale or Slap Fight MD, let alone Eliminate Down, but not cheap either.

Unless you're truly hell-bent on collecting CIB, in which case nothing will dissuade you (;3), Everdrives are the way to go these days.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Rob wrote:I can't believe my eyes. You weren't expecting support for this opinion on shumps.org, I hope.

Chest cycling - they needed to make sure you can accidentally swill some poison when you wanted a power-up! Good idea.
I know when I'm in a den of masochists when I'm in one Image

Truly wretched design. Worse than Gunbird's power-up glued to the top of the screen or King's Knight's peek a boo bullshit.