Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xer Xian

Re: Analogue announces the Super Nt for $189 (SNES)

Post by Xer Xian »

Wolf_ wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: What they would lose with a jailbreak is the ability to sell you the Mega NT next year for the same price. And the Turbo NT the year after that. It makes infinitely more business sense to not allow the jailbreak.
No it does not because people wouldn't stand for that. I would certainly swear off analogue forever and I'm sure many others would be outraged with me.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... -mini-tech

So you're not buying any more Nintendo products right?
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:The entire reason the nt mini sold as much as it did is because of the jailbreak.
And it’s still for sale. Why sell 1 console when you can upsell 2 for 3x the price to people just jumping back into retro gaming.
Wolf_ wrote:How do you think someone hears about this console? Someone tells them. And if someone knows about the console they know about the jailbreak.
There are plenty of news outlets that talked about it. With the jailbreak either not mentioned or as an “added bonus”. Not a promised feature. They never promised a jailbreak would work for either one. It’s impossible for it to be a cash grab if they don’t provide a feature they never promised or advertised.
Wolf_ wrote:No cores, no sale.
Did you preorder one?

At the end of the day. Without a jailbreak it’s still an amazing device at a good value.

I don’t think anyone is assuming this is their last retro product. We all assume they will make other high quality clones, right?

I’m assuming that they haven’t completed other 16bit console cores. And the only way to find them is to sell more product to the same audience.

So, in my mind it either won’t ever be allowed to simulate other 16bit consoles. Or it will be allowed to and there will be no funding to implement them.

I guess it’s possible they could allow 8bit console simulation on all their future products. As long as they can still keep selling the next one each time.

But it still seems like a better plan to not even hint that it can simulate other consoles. “It’s just a really good snes” is such a simpler PR message.
That's totally incorrect. The Super Nt is the updated model, they shouldn't expect people to buy and keep a $400 aluminum case on a $500 product just to have all the features they can offer on the Super Nt. If they intended on doing what you are saying they would have made a plastic case for the nt mini as well, but they have said they have nothing more planned for the mini which means that while they may still be selling it they are certainly not trying to push the console. If they thought they could recoup the 50 grand it takes to get an injection case mold designed for the console they would certainly invest that money in it to lower the price to >$180 so that more people will buy it and they could make money off it. Their actions clearly indicate they intend for this to be the end of the line for the Nt mini even if they don't intend to retire it right away.

I fully believe that Analogue intends on having a jailbroken firmware for the Super Nt. I did pre-order one but I would return it in a heartbeat if they dropped the ball like that. I can't believe some people can be so thick as to miss the huge difference between an epic business opportunity and a chance to watch your company get flamed into oblivion.
Xer Xian wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote: What they would lose with a jailbreak is the ability to sell you the Mega NT next year for the same price. And the Turbo NT the year after that. It makes infinitely more business sense to not allow the jailbreak.
No it does not because people wouldn't stand for that. I would certainly swear off analogue forever and I'm sure many others would be outraged with me.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... -mini-tech

So you're not buying any more Nintendo products right?
I never have and never will buy any of the classics. That is exactly the kind of outrage and hate I am talking about. Thank you for highlighting exactly what being a scumbag looks like and the level of hatred it brings upon you. If the classics were Nintendo's only source of income they would be in deep shit with everyone hating them for the one thing they sell. That's exactly why Analogue would be retarded to do the same.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Wolf_ wrote:I did pre-order one but I would return it in a heartbeat if they dropped the ball like that.
That’s like returning it because it doesn’t file your taxes for you. They never said it would. And it clearly has the hardware capability to do so.
Wolf_ wrote:I can't believe some people can be so thick as to miss the huge difference between an epic business opportunity and a chance to watch your company ... into oblivion.
My thoughts exactly. And yet here you are.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:I did pre-order one but I would return it in a heartbeat if they dropped the ball like that.
That’s like returning it because it doesn’t file your taxes for you. They never said it would. And it clearly has the hardware capability to do so.
Wolf_ wrote:I can't believe some people can be so thick as to miss the huge difference between an epic business opportunity and a chance to watch your company ... into oblivion.
My thoughts exactly. And yet here you are.
No it isn't. It's like returning a product because I'm not satisfied with it. Understandably they can't comment on if it will have a jailbreak or not (spoilers for people with iqs under 10: If they weren't going to give it a jailbreak they could comment that they were not, the only reason to avoid drawing attention to it is because they don't want endorse it as an official feature)

So do go on. I'll place a bet with you right now for $1000 usd that it gets a jailbroken firmware
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

Wolf_ wrote:So do go on. I'll place a bet with you right now for $1000 usd that it gets a jailbroken firmware
I would except there’s no way to hold you accountable.

And let’s be clear about jailbroken. I’m only 60% sure it won’t play anything other than snes. And 98% sure it won’t play any of the 16bit consoles.

If we’re betting on 8bit support. I’ll bet you a “I was wrong and you were right about this one thing” post.

If we’re betting on other 16bit console support. I’ll bet you an ongoing benefit of the doubt in all speculation threads.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

DirkSwizzler wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:So do go on. I'll place a bet with you right now for $1000 usd that it gets a jailbroken firmware
I would except there’s no way to hold you accountable.

And let’s be clear about jailbroken. I’m only 60% sure it won’t play anything other than snes. And 98% sure it won’t play any of the 16bit consoles.

If we’re betting on 8bit support. I’ll bet you a “I was wrong and you were right about this one thing” post.

If we’re betting on other 16bit console support. I’ll bet you an ongoing benefit of the doubt in all speculation threads.
Kevtris has said it would take him a minimum of 6 months to finish a Genesis core. So based on that I would imagine the 8 bit cores would come relatively soon depending on how much work it is to port them (Given how similar the hardware is I would guess very little) and the 16 bit cores wouldn't start until 6 months-year later. I would imagine that almost immediately after launch we will find out for sure if 16 bit cores will be added later though.

There may be alternate models but I fully believe regardless that Analogue intends to have them be completely open consoles and I'd be willing to put money on it.
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

They may say, we did the jailbreak for the NT Mini because it's a premium product, and the Super Nt is a mass-market product so we won't be doing that.

There is a cost to releasing the jailbreak firmware. A lost revenue cost to Kevtris (time spent not being paid doing jailbreak FPGA work is time he could be spent being paid to do future Analogue FPGA work), and a lost opportunity cost to Analogue (their FPGA developer is spending his FPGA development time on something other than their next FPGA product).

Jailbreaking the Super Nt will hurt the sales of the Nt Mini: why pay $500 if you can get much of the same functionality for $190? If the jailbreak includes 16-bit consoles, it would also hurt the sales of any potential future Nt Mini consoles that they make.

Remember, Analogue is not a platform developer. There is no recurring revenue, no licensing fees. They make money off selling you *hardware*. If they make one product that does everything, less people will buy their future products. Kind of like the Osborne effect, only in reverse. The more different pieces of hardware they sell you, the more money they make.
strygo

Post by strygo »

Since we're speculating, wouldn't it be a reasonable middle ground for the Super Nt to support loading of SNES roms without supporting other CPU cores? Given their latest menu demo (clearly listing Super Turrican as a 'built-in' game), it certainly isn't a stretch to envision this.

Despite Wolf_'s froth on the matter, I personally would much prefer if they released individual consoles for the Genesis and the like. Sure, it costs more money, but doing so helps ensure they are in a position to keep doing excellent work. If you are price sensitive, a Raspberry Pi already gets you 95% of the way there.
DirkSwizzler

Post by DirkSwizzler »

strygo wrote:Since we're speculating, wouldn't it be a reasonable middle ground for the Super Nt to support loading of SNES roms without supporting other CPU cores? Given their latest menu demo (clearly listing Super Turrican as a 'built-in' game), it certainly isn't a stretch to envision this.
Oh yeah, I’m thinking that’s a sure thing. But won’t be mad if it’s not.

It doesn’t seem to interfere with future console sales and becomes a selling point at the same time.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Wolf_ wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:I never have and never will buy any of the classics. That is exactly the kind of outrage and hate I am talking about. Thank you for highlighting exactly what being a scumbag looks like and the level of hatred it brings upon you. If the classics were Nintendo's only source of income they would be in deep shit with everyone hating them for the one thing they sell. That's exactly why Analogue would be retarded to do the same.
You're right that's exactly why the SNES Classic is selling so extremely poorly. *Everyone* is pissed that they re-used the hardware from the NES Classic. They're most definitely in deep shit over it and the huge boycott proves it!
strygo wrote:Despite Wolf_'s froth on the matter, I personally would much prefer if they released individual consoles for the Genesis and the like. Sure, it costs more money, but doing so helps ensure they are in a position to keep doing excellent work. If you are price sensitive, a Raspberry Pi already gets you 95% of the way there.
I don't think I'm in the market for it, but yeah I'd like to see more 16-bit consoles from them given that they take cartridges. The more consoles with digital connection options available the better.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
strygo

Post by strygo »

I personally wouldn't mind a non-jailbroken Nt Mini at a lower price point that supported loading roms directly. I can't get myself to pull the trigger on the current hefty price tag.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

Guspaz wrote:They may say, we did the jailbreak for the NT Mini because it's a premium product, and the Super Nt is a mass-market product so we won't be doing that.

There is a cost to releasing the jailbreak firmware. A lost revenue cost to Kevtris (time spent not being paid doing jailbreak FPGA work is time he could be spent being paid to do future Analogue FPGA work), and a lost opportunity cost to Analogue (their FPGA developer is spending his FPGA development time on something other than their next FPGA product).

Jailbreaking the Super Nt will hurt the sales of the Nt Mini: why pay $500 if you can get much of the same functionality for $190? If the jailbreak includes 16-bit consoles, it would also hurt the sales of any potential future Nt Mini consoles that they make.

Remember, Analogue is not a platform developer. There is no recurring revenue, no licensing fees. They make money off selling you *hardware*. If they make one product that does everything, less people will buy their future products. Kind of like the Osborne effect, only in reverse. The more different pieces of hardware they sell you, the more money they make.
Analogue if leaving the mini to phase out. They are not updating the shell to plastic which would make it more affordable than the Super Nt and there can only be one reason for that: They don't believe it would recoup the cost of having the plastic shell molds made for it. Otherwise why say no to increased sales and profit? Obviously because it will no longer be profitable.

And Analogue screwed themselves over so badly with the nt mini. A black version costs $500, but the Super Nt with a plastic case and a better fpga (and no dac to be fair) costs literally $300 less. That means just the production of that case costs about $300 MORE than the plastic case for the Super Nt. Look at all the views the nt mini gets on youtube, 100,000, 80,000, 50,000. Tons across multiple different videos. Do you know how many they sold? I'm told (based on people comparing serial numbers) that it's around 5,000 total. The reason for that is because $300 for a case is not worth it to the vast majority of the people that were interested in their product. Now they finally have a pricepoint where those 100,000 or so people that were interested in that product might actually buy it.

It's simple math, making $5 from 50,000 people is way better than making $30 from 5,000 people.
bobrocks95 wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:
Wolf_ wrote:I never have and never will buy any of the classics. That is exactly the kind of outrage and hate I am talking about. Thank you for highlighting exactly what being a scumbag looks like and the level of hatred it brings upon you. If the classics were Nintendo's only source of income they would be in deep shit with everyone hating them for the one thing they sell. That's exactly why Analogue would be retarded to do the same.
You're right that's exactly why the SNES Classic is selling so extremely poorly. *Everyone* is pissed that they re-used the hardware from the NES Classic. They're most definitely in deep shit over it and the huge boycott proves it!
strygo wrote:Despite Wolf_'s froth on the matter, I personally would much prefer if they released individual consoles for the Genesis and the like. Sure, it costs more money, but doing so helps ensure they are in a position to keep doing excellent work. If you are price sensitive, a Raspberry Pi already gets you 95% of the way there.
I don't think I'm in the market for it, but yeah I'd like to see more 16-bit consoles from them given that they take cartridges. The more consoles with digital connection options available the better.

The classic line might be selling well, but every review of the product mentions that Nintendo falsely creates shortages, scalpers are charging an arm and a leg for it, it has the internals of a mcdonalds toy, ect. No one enjoyed getting a classic. If it didn't sell well and that was the only product Nintendo offered they would have no sympathy in the public to redeem them. That is where Analogue stands. If they make this a single over priced console maybe they'll move 4,999 of them (at the very least I won't be buying one), but they could have knocked it out of the park and sold tens of thousands.

Analogue gives me the impression they are a good company and stand by their customers, saying things like how they want users to be able to do anything they want with the console when asked about the sd slot. I don't believe for a second they plan to go full retard and sink their own battleship by locking out cores on identical hardware in different shells. That's just a dick move and they seem like a decent company albeit with an unnatural fetish for wood and aluminum.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

So the 8Bitdo SN30 Retro Set Controllers started shipping on Feb 1st from Amazon (received my Black edition). The Super Nt consoles start shipping Feb 7th from Analogue (currently sold out). I am hoping to receive my Black console late next week.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075WRBK7Y
https://www.analogue.co/pages/store/

I was planning on ordering a SD2SNES as well, but holding off for now as it is still missing support for the most prized enchantment chips. It seems they are really at the limit of the current SD2SNES's FPGA abilities and updates are becoming hard and harder. Makes me wonder why they don't release a updated FPGA?
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Report back on the controller if you feel like it. I found that 8bitdo significantly improved the controller when creating the SN30 for SNES Classic, and since the new Bluetooth version shares the same look, the insides are likely to be a shared design. I hope you get the same excellent experience I'm enjoying.

Also, PCWorld has one lonely review of the Analogue up as of yesterday. Not sure why they of all people are ahead of the rest of the press, but it sounds like the machine is exactly as expected. Of course, the writer clearly isn't the most knowledgeable to be working on this sort of review, but the basics are well covered.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

"would much prefer if they released individual consoles for the Genesis and the like."
I share this view. Also the possibility to sell 16 and 8 bit cores for both the super NT and the NES mini NT if it can run the 16bit consoles, like a licensed fee of sort.
The Future Is Now
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic »

bigbadboaz wrote:Report back on the controller if you feel like it. I found that 8bitdo significantly improved the controller when creating the SN30 for SNES Classic, and since the new Bluetooth version shares the same look, the insides are likely to be a shared design. I hope you get the same excellent experience I'm enjoying.

Also, PCWorld has one lonely review of the Analogue up as of yesterday. Not sure why they of all people are ahead of the rest of the press, but it sounds like the machine is exactly as expected. Of course, the writer clearly isn't the most knowledgeable to be working on this sort of review, but the basics are well covered.
Sure, I will try the controller out after I get the console.

Do you have a link to the PCWorld review? Can't seem to find it.
donluca

Post by donluca »

BONKERS wrote: You'd rather support people over inflating the value of games that the developers would see no money from anyway?
What's the difference between them and a pirate? No money goes to the people who made it as it stands.

Game collecting has gotten to unreasonable levels, and it's all because someone thought their game that they valued emotionally was worth whatever price they randomly came up with, and then someone actually paid that price. And then others saw that, and decided to do the same and the circle jerk continues to rise continuously. SNES games scarce? Certainly it's only because of hoarding collectors holding out for more money. I'm not saying games shouldn't have some value, but many have simply gone far too off the deep end over the years.
(I only regret selling all the games I did when I was younger, not because of the value. But because they are so damn expensive to reacquire. )
Amen to that.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Ooh la la.

I see that this has a "disable interpolation" option in the menus.

Any idea how much interpolation blurs up the pic? Any YouTube vids or pics on that yet? I prefer some interpolation, as I'm trying to make it look a bit more like a CRT.
I don't know if I'll buy this when it first comes out, as I'm still bitter about the NES HDMI taking out the interpolation option, but fixing the colors. At least I can see why Kev was busy. I hope he can get back to tweaking his other work.

And Phil Fish did the opening animations? Excuse me while I vomit. :x
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Ooh la la.

Any idea how much interpolation blurs up the pic? Any YouTube vids or pics on that yet? I prefer some interpolation, as I'm trying to make it look a bit more like a CRT.
I don't know if I'll buy this when it first comes out, as I'm still bitter about the NES HDMI taking out the interpolation option, but fixing the colors. At least I can see why Kev was busy. I hope he can get back to tweaking his other work.
So I take it you're not going to play in 4:3 aspect ratio?
He has good aesthetic taste.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

bobrocks95 wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:Ooh la la.

So I take it you're not going to play in 4:3 aspect ratio?
He has good aesthetic taste.
Yeah, I'll play it in 4:3 aspect ratio.

He may have "good aesthetic taste", but he's a piece of garbage.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Yeah, I'll play it in 4:3 aspect ratio.
Then without some kind of interpolation you're going to get pixel crawl. Unless it's approximating it with a 4x stretch horizontally and a 3x stretch vertically? That would be fairly close I guess.
He has anger issues and didn't do well in the public spotlight. Not sure why that makes him a piece of garbage.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

bobrocks95 wrote:
Then without some kind of interpolation you're going to get pixel crawl. Unless it's approximating it with a 4x stretch horizontally and a 3x stretch vertically? That would be fairly close I guess.
He has anger issues and didn't do well in the public spotlight. Not sure why that makes him a piece of garbage.
Well, he's an asshole. He tells a Japanese developer that all their games suck, and he tells people on Twitter to choke on his dick. Fuck him.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

evil_ash_xero wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:
Well, he's an asshole. He tells a Japanese developer that all their games suck, and he tells people on Twitter to choke on his dick. Fuck him.
bobrocks95 wrote:He has anger issues and didn't do well in the public spotlight. Not sure why that makes him a piece of garbage.
Like, he literally had mental issues and has hopefully gotten help. He clearly could not handle fame of any degree and it completely broke him. Vilifying him any further won't do any good.

(And Jonathan Blow followed up on the Japanese games sucking comment with a well-articulated version of what Phil Fish actually meant)
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Seraphic wrote:Do you have a link to the PCWorld review? Can't seem to find it.
I think it's been taken down. It looked like they jumped embargo at the time so maybe they pulled it.

Basically what you would expect - a semi-knowledgeable type who didn't seem to understand the difference between the FPGA and actual SNES hardware covering all the console's bullet points. But it was all positive. He had high praise for the look and build quality, and was very pleased with all the things it's supposed to do: great video output, apparent accuracy, etc.

Oh, and the console had both Super Turrican: DC and Super Turrican 2 loaded onto it stock. Maybe this isn't news, but I didn't realize the sequel came too, with the director's cut of the first being what they hyped.
xga

Post by xga »

Seraphic wrote:
bigbadboaz wrote:Report back on the controller if you feel like it. I found that 8bitdo significantly improved the controller when creating the SN30 for SNES Classic, and since the new Bluetooth version shares the same look, the insides are likely to be a shared design. I hope you get the same excellent experience I'm enjoying.

Sure, I will try the controller out after I get the console.

Do you have a link to the PCWorld review? Can't seem to find it.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=au
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

bobrocks95 wrote:Like, he literally had mental issues and has hopefully gotten help.
No he doesn't, he's just an asshole point blank, I wish people would stop using the whole "mental illness" defense BS to cover up whenever their fellow westerners end up acting shitty.

bobrocks95 wrote:He clearly could not handle fame of any degree and it completely broke him. Vilifying him any further won't do any good.
White knighting him like a Logan Paul fan won't help either.

bobrocks95 wrote:(And Jonathan Blow followed up on the Japanese games sucking comment with a well-articulated version of what Phil Fish actually meant)
Have you watched the video that surfaced on the internet back in 2013 when it was still available (it's not available anywhere at all now as they got all taken down for "copyright infringement")? It wasn't just Blow or Fish, it was the whole damn panel and most of the audience! First they started small by giggling and making fun at the japanese dev's accent, then the shitshow actually started when Phil Fish ignited the whole thing by saying "japanese games suck", after that the whole panel got in on the action and went on endlessly raving at how japanese game sucks while adding in tons of jeerings, giggles and when these hipsters were done bullying and humiliating the japanese dev for a good 15 min, they ended it with a "Look at his face! Look at what you did to it! HAHAHAHA!".
FBX

Post by FBX »

I didn't even know who Phil Fish was. Looked up a funny youtube rant about his behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... g31vRyhE1Q
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Ah dang, you're right Lawfer, I'm completely convinced now and will admit that I was wrong the whole time. I can no longer purchase the Super Nt in good faith and will be cancelling my pre-order as well.
Wolf_

Post by Wolf_ »

FBX wrote:I didn't even know who Phil Fish was. Looked up a funny youtube rant about his behavior:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... g31vRyhE1Q
I think I heard that the opening animations can be disabled so I'll certainly be turning them off if that is the case as well as well as contacting Analogue to let them know I would prefer they didn't include that scumbag's content in the machine or hire him in the future.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Wait a minute, how does Phil Fish's behavior invalidate the purchase of a niche retro-console?!?