Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
bobrocks95

Re: Professional/Broadcast monitor hunting.

Post by bobrocks95 »

It's 600 TVL and 15kHz-only right?
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Shoryukev wrote:He just emailed back and said it's a 1953MD. $50!!!! I just asked him if he could meet me halfway if I gave him gas money. I googled the address and it's further than I thought lol (more like 4-1/2 hours away).

Fingers crossed
A few years ago I turned down a 1953MD which was IN Cleveland. Got a couple 20L2s instead.

But yeah, it's 600TVL and 15KHz-only.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Shoryukev wrote:He just emailed back and said it's a 1953MD. $50!!!! I just asked him if he could meet me halfway if I gave him gas money. I googled the address and it's further than I thought lol (more like 4-1/2 hours away).

Fingers crossed
A few years ago I turned down a 1953MD which was IN Cleveland. Got a couple 20L2s instead.

But yeah, it's 600TVL and 15KHz-only.
A few years ago the cornucopia was significantly more full.
Brad251

Post by Brad251 »

Have any of you ever had any luck getting a professional monitor for free or cheap by calling your local TV stations and hospitals to see if they had any they were getting rid of? I am going to try doing this anyway but just wanted to know if this has worked for anyone.

Also, there are quite a few 20" PVMs on Dotmed for $300 or less. Has anyone here bought a PVM from someone on Dotmed? If so, what was your experience and how well did the seller package it for shipping? What should I expect to pay for shipping a 20" PVM/Monitor?
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

Brad251 wrote:Have any of you ever had any luck getting a professional monitor for free or cheap by calling your local TV stations and hospitals to see if they had any they were getting rid of? I am going to try doing this anyway but just wanted to know if this has worked for anyone.

Also, there are quite a few 20" PVMs on Dotmed for $300 or less. Has anyone here bought a PVM from someone on Dotmed? If so, what was your experience and how well did the seller package it for shipping? What should I expect to pay for shipping a 20' PVM/Monitor?
It's not a bad idea to check those places. I didn't check myself but I heard people having some luck checking hospitals and old production studios. Could probably add community colleges and churches.

$300 dollars sounds like a bit too much for a 20' inch PVM. I honestly can't tell you much about Dotmed, but if they service the monitor before they sell it, and ship it correctly, then I can see it justifying that price for a good 20' inch PVM.
Gered

Post by Gered »

Brad251 wrote:Also, there are quite a few 20" PVMs on Dotmed for $300 or less. Has anyone here bought a PVM from someone on Dotmed? If so, what was your experience and how well did the seller package it for shipping? What should I expect to pay for shipping a 20" PVM/Monitor?
I've bought 2 from different people off Dotmed. Overall a good experience. I made sure to ask specifically about how they would package and who they shipped with. Both did an excellent job of it and they both arrived without a scratch. One shipped via UPS, and the other by Fedex. I've heard a lot of stories about UPS breaking these things and I don't doubt the stories are true, but my own personal experience has so far been Fedex breaking them (another one I bought from eBay before trying Dotmed). However, I actually think a lot of it comes down to the quality of packaging regardless of who you ship with. The first monitor I bought off Dotmed was packaged with some fancy "foam-in-place" thing and arrived via UPS. The thing about these medical surplus vendors is that a lot of the equipment they sell is fragile, so they're accustomed to packaging well. Not saying they do a perfect job, but well, I personally would trust them a heck of a lot more then I'd trust some random person off eBay.

The main downside (other then the fact that you're paying a lot for shipping vs local pickup) is that you can't test the monitor first in-person. My experience was that the people selling these really don't know anything about them and the most they were willing to do was snap an extra photo of the monitor powered on with the menu displayed ("we don't have the equipment to hook up any video to these" is what I was told when I asked).

Ultimately, I would go that route again myself if I was looking to get another 20" and was having trouble getting one locally again. Just my 2 cents anyway!
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I wrote to TV stations and found out that I was basically 4 years late. They'd all switched to LCDs a while ago, and this is in a relatively small area.

It doesn't hurt to try.
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

I will add Rgb a TV before i ship another monitor. I had a 20n6u that got broken in shipping, and ups wouldnt refund my shipping fee, only the cost of the monitor. The shipping fee was most of the cost of the monitor.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

Found a Sony Hi Scan for sale that's a wee bit further than I want to drive. And the guy is asking a bit much. Does anyone know how they handle SD content? Is there lag and/or upscaling?

http://springfield.craigslist.org/ele/5726293060.html
ChuChu Flamingo

Post by ChuChu Flamingo »

I have the same TV in a spare bedroom.

Yes there is lag and it up-scales which is a shame. The 240p is blocky and probably line doubled to 480p (depending on how Sony's digital reality creation circuit works).The scanlines are barely there, and the input lag is probably around 2-3 frames give or take. These TVs also like to fail a lot due to a IC on the power board (fixable though if you know how to solder).

I would pass on it.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Einzelherz wrote:Found a Sony Hi Scan for sale that's a wee bit further than I want to drive. And the guy is asking a bit much. Does anyone know how they handle SD content? Is there lag and/or upscaling?

Everything ChuChu said is accurate as far as I know.

You could do well with 240p on a Hi-Scan tube if you use an OSSC in line-double mode. They are also be really good for PS2-era games. TVL count is only around 850 though, so anything above 480p isn't going to be very sharp.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

BazookaBen wrote:
Einzelherz wrote:Found a Sony Hi Scan for sale that's a wee bit further than I want to drive. And the guy is asking a bit much. Does anyone know how they handle SD content? Is there lag and/or upscaling?

Everything ChuChu said is accurate as far as I know.

You could do well with 240p on a Hi-Scan tube if you use an OSSC in line-double mode. They are also be really good for PS2-era games. TVL count is only around 850 though, so anything above 480p isn't going to be very sharp.
850 TVL Count is extremely good though.
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I can't vouch for the KV-32HS420 since I don't have that particular model, but I do have the KD-34XBR960, which is considered the pinnacle of consumer HD CRTs.

That said, I would not get an HD CRT just for SD content, especially for that price. 240p and 480i are supported, but are line-doubled or de-interlaced depending on what option you choose in the DRC Mode. There's also input lag and Light Gun games will not work either. I bought mine primarily for 6th Gen 480p content, although SD content still looks fantastic on it.

I would look for a BVM/PVM or a Sony KV-27FV310/300 (SD CRTs) for SD Content, which is what I'm doing atm.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Yeah, I should clarify myself, a Hi-scan tube, even when paired with the OSSC, is not as good as finding an actual 15khz CRT to play old school games on.

If you're looking for something to play mostly 240p games on, get a 15khz set. They're still easy to find, no need to settle for a Hi-scan CRT.
GeneraLight wrote: 850 TVL Count is extremely good though.
For 480p, but not for 720p and 1080i
nissling

Post by nissling »

I actually prefer the XRGB-Mini + HDM-3830 combo over my BVM-20F1. You get the very best of both worlds. Sharp visuals yet the same old school CRT look that is easy to appreciate.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

There is a 750 TVL JVC 15 inch monitor in Montreal for $60 :

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronique/lon ... nFlag=true

the catch is that it's equipped with the SDI card at the moment, and not the RGB/component card (model #IF-C01COMG, but the Panasonic BT-YA702P card also fits according to a user on here)

It's a dot-trio mask but with that TVL count it should still produce scanlines that are sharp as all hell!
If someone can find a card for cheap then this is an awesome deal

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/81895 ... =19#manual
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I have this monitor. It's pretty sweet, but you will want an RGB card, eventually. From watching eBay, the cards are never sold solo, only installed. I use it as my TATE monitor so that I don't damage an aperture grille.

If you're near UCF: https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=M ... cctid=2863

The 4x H1390Ys have RGB, as far as I can tell through searches. I think the BR designation is actually BT.
tacoguy64

Post by tacoguy64 »

FinalBaton wrote:There is a 750 TVL JVC 15 inch monitor in Montreal for $60 :

the catch is that it's equipped with the SDI card at the moment, and not the RGB/component card (model #IF-C01COMG, but the Panasonic BT-YA702P card also fits according to a user on here)

It's a dot-trio mask but with that TVL count it should still produce scanlines that are sharp as all hell!

You really can't stress it enough. Those input cards are really difficult to find and at an affordable price.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Any opinions on BVM-D24E1WU? I'm torn between getting one of these or a second D20F1U. They share the same user manual, so can I assume they're almost identical outside of 4:3/16:9 (and obviously the 4" difference)?
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

S-Video only (non upgradable) but 19" 750TVL in Texas: http://publicsurplus.com/sms/auction/view?auc=1697483
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz »

FinalBaton wrote:There is a 750 TVL JVC 15 inch monitor in Montreal for $60 :

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronique/lon ... nFlag=true

Damn, if that thing had an RGB card in it, I'd grab it... I guess you called the guy to find out about the input card?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Guspaz wrote:Damn, if that thing had an RGB card in it, I'd grab it... I guess you called the guy to find out about the input card?
I bet people email will email these listings just to get the input cards. Like they ask the seller just to remove the cards and ship.

That's actually why none of the PVM 20L2's at the NC tekyard warehouse have any RGB input cards. I saw that the monitors were sitting there for years unsold (tragically), so I just offered them a flat price for all their BKM-129x cards (I think they had 12 altogether). Sold a few on here and the rest on ebay, I'm guessing purchased mostly by 20L5 owners, maybe some 14" BVM owners.

So if anybody buys a 20L2 at the tekyard warehouse, please accept my apologies.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Guspaz wrote: Damn, if that thing had an RGB card in it, I'd grab it... I guess you called the guy to find out about the input card?
I asked for a pic of the back of the monitor
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Ikaruga11

Post by Ikaruga11 »

I've decided I will not rest until I have a Sony BVM-D24E1WU in pristine condition with low hours. Go big or go home.
accaris

Post by accaris »

GeneraLight wrote:I've decided I will not rest until I have a Sony BVM-D24E1WU in pristine condition with low hours. Go big or go home.
This makes me wonder, where are all the new in box PVMs? Surely they weren't all trashed or recycled. You think there are warehouses in Taiwan full of NIB monitors?
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

The jvc cards are really tough to find without a monitor. i wouldnt even consider buying a jvc monitor if it didnt come with the rgb card installed.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

GeneraLight wrote:I've decided I will not rest until I have a Sony BVM-D24E1WU in pristine condition with low hours. Go big or go home.
:shock:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 »

Why not the 32" version? Go big or go home.
PS1 Disc-Based Game ID BIOS patch for MemCard Pro and SD2PSX automatic VMC switching.
tjstogy

Post by tjstogy »

MeHhhh I might be in the minority but I am beginning to think broadcast monitors are overrated. I have a 20L5 and I'm on the lookout for a consumer tv.
Einzelherz

Post by Einzelherz »

I'd be glad to unload that 20L5 for you.