Mega Man Miscellanies

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
njiska

Re: Mega Man Miscellanies

Post by njiska »

Ok, this shit is starting to surpass my hatred of X6 and it's doing it because this happens way, WAY too often.

- Get Mission
- Spent 10-15 stumbling around to find the right area
- Stop by trans server on the way into the area
- Fight til maverick
- Hit maverick weak point by accident
- Get pissed and let him kill me so I can try again for a L4 victory. Why? because repairing biometals is stupid fucking expensive.
- Repeat last two steps until last life
- Die because I'm having trouble with one pattern and mavericks hit hard
- Select Retry Mission
- SPAWN AT THE FUCKING TRANSERVER I ACCEPTED THE MISSION FROM!!! Not the transserver at the start of the area I want. Not the last transserver I used. No, the one I fucking accepted the mission from.
- Waste 5 minutes getting back to the start of the area I was in
- Repeat the whole ordeal again.

No wonder the saves already present on my cart have completion times of 14 hours. This game is just bullshit city.
Look at our friendly members:
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Drum wrote:He's also a pederast. Presumably.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I can't say I've ever spent more than 5 minutes (and that's being generous) finding a mission start point, and I didn't start worrying about not hitting the biometal weak point until my second run through the game. If you're finding it that difficult to avoid the weak points, then just don't sweat it and let it happen. It's not like you need those extra 3 bars of energy anyway.
njiska

Post by njiska »

StarCreator wrote:I can't say I've ever spent more than 5 minutes (and that's being generous) finding a mission start point, and I didn't start worrying about not hitting the biometal weak point until my second run through the game. If you're finding it that difficult to avoid the weak points, then just don't sweat it and let it happen. It's not like you need those extra 3 bars of energy anyway.
I do realize it's mostly a pride thing, but it's really annoying that some have the mavericks are almost entirely weak points. Seems like a needlessly frustrating gameplay element. As for the walking, I have actually been avoiding using map for finding locations as I want a more pure experience. Sometimes it can take a long time to find the location. Then I get pissed off when I have to restart from the Trans server I accepted it from, stop playing for the day and then have trouble finding my way back later. Regardless it's still needless time wasting and there's no reason why you shouldn't continue at the start of the area and that's my real issue.
MX7 wrote:I'm not a fan of a racist, gun nut brony puking his odious and uninformed arguments over every thread that comes up.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

njiska wrote:As for the walking, I have actually been avoiding using map for finding locations as I want a more pure experience. Sometimes it can take a long time to find the location. Then I get pissed off when I have to restart from the Trans server I accepted it from, stop playing for the day and then have trouble finding my way back later. Regardless it's still needless time wasting and there's no reason why you shouldn't continue at the start of the area and that's my real issue.
The walking around is the main reason I put the game down about an hour after each time I try and pick it up again. Bad design, plain and simple. ZXA improves matters somewhat with a comprehensible map, but eh. It seems they wanted to extend things into Megametroidvania, but didn't realize that those games worked because the maps are extremely simple, and retreading ground is usually interesting. They even had good maps in MMX3. In the end, too many other great MM games to play.
The freaks are rising through the floor.
Recommended XBLIG shmups.
Top 20 Doujin Shmups of ALL TIME.
njiska

Post by njiska »

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-ucking Area K!! God damn vertical hallway loaded with stupid spears that shoot out as soon as you reaching them, making it fuck hard to pass without being slowed down, and it has fucking rising instant kill lava. This is by far the most bullshit of bullshit areas in the game and I'm a hair away from giving up on this piece of shit. It's bullshit platforming that would at least be tolerable if it wasn't taking me exactly 3 mins 57 secs to get back to that section every time i die. At least X6 let you continue at the point where it was being a dick.

</angry rant>
njiska

Post by njiska »

Well, it's been a long battle, but i'm officially retiring my Arm Cannon. I reveled in the joy of the classic series; climbed the peaks and plumed the depths of the X series, even learned to stop worrying and love the Zero series, but ZX and ZXA are the collective straws that broke this camels back. I can usually put up with bad design, but there's just too much here to tolerate and after a solid month of trying to get into ZXA, I've decided that I just can't do it anymore. These games sucked the life out of me and frankly are ruining my love for Mega Man. It's been a good long run, but I will not be completing my marathon.

Still, I have to say I'm pretty please with myself. Between November of last year and March 31st I've managed to play to completion: 13 Classic (Inclues the arcade games) games, 8 X games, 4 Zero games and Mega Man ZX. 26 games in 5 months is no small feat and it's been an absolute blast. I've learned a lot about myself as a gamer and finally relit the spark of my love for gaming history. It's amazing to be able to sit down with a series as long and storied as Mega Man and watch it evolve before your eyes. It's easy to see where the series lost it's way and why. Inti Creates was on the right track with MM9 and MM10. Hopefully they'll be back for more. Maybe a new X game.

Now that it's over I'm not sure what series I should turn my attention to next, but I'm open to suggestions.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

njiska wrote:Well, it's been a long battle, but i'm officially retiring my Arm Cannon. I reveled in the joy of the classic series; climbed the peaks and plumed the depths of the X series, even learned to stop worrying and love the Zero series, but ZX and ZXA are the collective straws that broke this camels back. I can usually put up with bad design, but there's just too much here to tolerate and after a solid month of trying to get into ZXA, I've decided that I just can't do it anymore. These games sucked the life out of me and frankly are ruining my love for Mega Man. It's been a good long run, but I will not be completing my marathon.

Still, I have to say I'm pretty please with myself. Between November of last year and March 31st I've managed to play to completion: 13 Classic (Inclues the arcade games) games, 8 X games, 4 Zero games and Mega Man ZX. 26 games in 5 months is no small feat and it's been an absolute blast. I've learned a lot about myself as a gamer and finally relit the spark of my love for gaming history. It's amazing to be able to sit down with a series as long and storied as Mega Man and watch it evolve before your eyes. It's easy to see where the series lost it's way and why. Inti Creates was on the right track with MM9 and MM10. Hopefully they'll be back for more. Maybe a new X game.

Now that it's over I'm not sure what series I should turn my attention to next, but I'm open to suggestions.
Now do the same for Castlevania, just IGNORE the N64/PS2 games and Lords of Shadows if you don't want to rage at how bad they are.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
JBC

Post by JBC »

Soooo... how do you guys feel about Mega Man 8-bit Deathmatch? It's the love of my life here lately.

Really too bad about Mega Man Universe. I was hoping it would mark a return to form for the series. The X and Zero lines were fine but I much prefer good ole' classic Blue Bomber. MM 9 & 10 are a godsend but I'm hoping we'll see a next gen iteration soon. Something big and on consoles to revitalize the franchise.

But not rape it of everything that makes it Mega Man cough cough Lords of Shadow.
Godzilla was an inside job
njiska

Post by njiska »

Kaiser wrote:Now do the same for Castlevania, just IGNORE the N64/PS2 games and Lords of Shadows if you don't want to rage at how bad they are.
Yeah, but that also means I'd have to tackle the original Castlevania and that game still makes my blood boil. WOuld be an interesting excuse to play Haunted Castle and Akumajō Special: Boku Dracula-kun, though.
circuitface wrote:But not rape it of everything that makes it Mega Man cough cough Lords of Shadow.
That already happened. *cough* Mega Man ZX.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

what? no, god no. mmzx is just a continuation of mmz with a few new tricks. you are mad for comparing them to lords of shadow instead of to... the ds castlevania games (if any cv at all). though i'm not at all surprised when you also say things like "it's easy to see where the series lost it's way and why" when it's not easy whatsoever. for example: mm4 is a great step, mmx3 is absolutely terrible; this is not something many people would say (that's bad).
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Well, the MMX series is sort of all over the place in terms of quality - no real sense of a progression or certain decline. Classic series is consistently good, a few hiccups aside. Same goes for MMZ. MMZX/A, well, the magic was just sort of gone. But they still knew how to put together 9 & 10, so I'm not terribly certain there's an overall trend, just missteps and regression, & so forth.

I very much doubt we'll get a proper console game, even a digital distro title (although a 2.5D type of thing probably isn't out of the realm of possibility). I'm guessing it's going to be a 3DS/Vita affair from here out.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

I wouldn't normally post info about a romhack, but this Mega Man 3 romhack is incredibly well-done. I think I might even prefer it to the original MM3. Great custom music and intelligent stage design.

MM3: The Battle of Gamma
undamned

Post by undamned »

Moniker wrote:I wouldn't normally post info about a romhack, but this Mega Man 3 romhack is incredibly well-done. I think I might even prefer it to the original MM3. Great custom music and intelligent stage design.

Nice. I'd love to check this out :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
njiska

Post by njiska »

Mega Man coming to 3DS virtual console in Japan. If this comes to the NA eShop I may actually have a reason to buy something. If for no reason other than I can veg out with Mega Man at the office.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Mega ... sp?c=42995
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

njiska wrote:Mega Man coming to 3DS virtual console in Japan. If this comes to the NA eShop I may actually have a reason to buy something. If for no reason other than I can veg out with Mega Man at the office.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Mega ... sp?c=42995
Did MM6 ever make it to Wii's VC? I kind of get why they slow-dripped the MM releases, even if it was annoying, but don't understand why they didn't eventually put all of them up there.

I also seem to remember something about a 3D version of MM2? Did that get cancelled?
njiska

Post by njiska »

Moniker wrote: Did MM6 ever make it to Wii's VC? I kind of get why they slow-dripped the MM releases, even if it was annoying, but don't understand why they didn't eventually put all of them up there.
No it never did. Don't think they ever added Mega Man 7. X2 is finally up though.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Capcom vows that new Mega Man game(s) are on the way: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/14/ ... n-consoles

Sounds pretty legit. For my part, I'm hoping for Mega Man 11. Hopefully it won't just be remakes like Powered Up & MHX, although if they put MM9/10 on one of the handhelds, that'll be the handheld I'll buy... immediately.
njiska

Post by njiska »

I'd be cool with another Powered Up game. It's actually quite a deep experience and a treat for real fans of the character. That said, Mega Man 11 would be good. Mega Man X9 would also be great. The main point of concern for me is who is making them. If Inti Creates is behind it, then I'm happy.
szycag

Post by szycag »

I enjoyed Powered Up a lot, got over the remixed art style eventually to the point I enjoyed it. Sure was nicer to look at than Mega Man Universe. Even just a Powered Up game based on 2 and 3 would be cool. But how hopeful can I be for Inafune-less MM? I'd also be hoping for Inticreates but Inafune was still a director on all that stuff right?
That is Galactic Dancing
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

If it's another retro-style game (Mega Man 11 or even a SNES/32 bit X9) I'll be extremely happy. Otherwise, eh. MHX was OK; I remember the hard mode being a decent challenge which was nice, but I had a hard time enjoying the art direction they chose.

Guy in the article is right, though - they've had a bad habit of talking about MM projects that get canned. I'd almost prefer he didn't say anything until he had a real announcement.
I wouldn't normally post info about a romhack, but this Mega Man 3 romhack is incredibly well-done. I think I might even prefer it to the original MM3. Great custom music and intelligent stage design.

Going to check this out. Does anyone know where to get the Mega Man 2 DX romhack? Ran across videos on youtube that look nice, but I think it's a Japanese-made romhack and information is slight - the best I could find was a megaupload link that is long since dead.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
njiska

Post by njiska »

szycag wrote:I'd also be hoping for Inticreates but Inafune was still a director on all that stuff right?
He has a Producer credit on both and played a large role in making sure that MM9 was back to basics. I don't know the level of his involvement in MM10. Frankly as much as I love Inafune, I do think that Inti Creates has enough experience with MM9/10, as well as the MM Zero series, to be able to make a great game on their own.

Unrelated to this announcment, I am pleased to say that last night I was able to successfully defeat Gutsman's stage while drunk on half a bottle of Whiskey in a single try. Me and my buddy drunkenly managed to get through the entire game, which was kind of cool given the challenge. Did cheese the Yellow Devil though as by that point the bottle was empty and there was no way I had the reflexes to beat that bastard legit.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

njiska wrote: That said, Mega Man 11 would be good. Mega Man X9 would also be great. The main point of concern for me is who is making them. If Inti Creates is behind it, then I'm happy.
I'd be a bit wary of an X9 - problem being that no one really seemed to understand what made MMX great. I'm not sure I even really understand, to be perfectly honest. Rather than getting gradually better or gradually stale, the series jumped wildly between greatness and absolute dross. There's a reason there are so few MMX clones and so many MM Classic ones.

I'd love to see another Zero, but it doesn't really have the iconic status of the others, so I doubt one would get made. Still need to put in a solid effort to clear the Battle Network and Legends games.

ISTR some chatter that WayForward might be working on the next Mega Man. Inti Creates would be ideal, but I'll happily settle for WayForward. As for Inafune, he kind of struck me as a (better) video game version of George Lucas. More interested in revising previous glories than forging ahead, even in a linear fashion as with MM9/10. Perhaps Wordsworth would be a better but overflattering comparison.
njiska

Post by njiska »

Moniker wrote:ISTR some chatter that WayForward might be working on the next Mega Man. Inti Creates would be ideal, but I'll happily settle for WayForward.
Given the quality of Wayfoward's other work (I Heart Double Dragon Neon), I could see them making a great Mega Man game, but it would definitely be an original take on the series, not just another classic series game.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Wanted to keep up MM bgm discussion without clogging the other thread.
njiska wrote:
Ruldra wrote:
Moniker wrote:Also nominating Flame Man's stage for best MegaMan, and by extension, videogame bgm ever. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGdCFqy1ruM
Solar Man objects: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfcrX10fucA
I'll through in a Bright Man. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vEU5OtKRfM

And Guts Man is probably my favourite of the original game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK4k4nADHJA
Piano arrangement of Flame Man's stage turns the song from silky coolness into soaring majesty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMF22CJkWzo&feature=fvsr

Also, Bubble Man's bgm is my ringtone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1J6M9pkQ3c
Whenever someone new hears it, they express enthusiasm, followed by socially-appropriate distaste when I inform them that it's a Mega Man theme.
ChainsawGuitarSP

Post by ChainsawGuitarSP »

Moniker wrote:I wouldn't normally post info about a romhack, but this Mega Man 3 romhack is incredibly well-done. I think I might even prefer it to the original MM3. Great custom music and intelligent stage design.

I was only able to beat half the robot masters before I had to call it quits but I gotta say, I'm impressed. SparkMan stage is really fun once you know what you're doing, and that new (original!!) piece of music is so good I don't even care that the old music is gone. Same goes for ShadowMan. The Rise and Fall of Dr Wily is by the same guy and that is really good too despite being more simplistic. He's also working on hack called Mega Man 4 Voyage, which I'll be sure to keep and eye on. This guy needs a job at Capcom.

Also, prior to playing the two aforementioned hacks was my first time beating MM3. Only with me can you expect a fan favorite to go ignored for so long for no adequate reason. >_>
Innovations in Recreational Electronic Media
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Street Fighter X Mega Man

http://youtu.be/61-OMrOxyso
ryu

Post by ryu »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Street Fighter X Mega Man

i wonder if that's the mega man game capcom had announced a while ago...

looks like a doujin game capcom usa decided to publish
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

ryu wrote:
MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Street Fighter X Mega Man

i wonder if that's the mega man game capcom had announced a while ago...

looks like a doujin game capcom usa decided to publish
I don't think it's the game they announced, cause yeah, it is a doujin game they decided to publish lol.

Looks good though, and people who had a chance to play it at the SF 25th Anniversary tournament this weekend seemed to like it.
Moniker

Post by Moniker »

Re: SFXMM - Hell, I'll take it. If it's half as good as 9 or 10, it'll be a blast.

Been playing some more MM3: Battle of Gamma, this time in earnest - before I mostly just previewed the various levels. This guy is really good at enemy placement. In the Shadow Man stage, there's a corridor of hard-hats, each of which needs to be handled in a different way. I do wish that MM3's hitbox quirks were fixed, but that's a minor fly in the ointment.

Also *finally* beat Burner Man's stage in Rockman & Forte. I still don't know how you're supposed to handle the last area where the giant cube shits insta-kill fire, at least not while playing as MM. My method was to buy an extra life, and use invincibility frames to get past the flames. Once figured out, the stage's boss fight is pretty clever and not terribly difficult. Almost a puzzler, that.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

The best way to get through Burner Man's stage is probably what you just mentioned - take damage to avoid instant death.

The only way I can find to make it manageable is to use Tengu Man's weapon - it's pretty powerful and can clear the turrets blocking the safe areas pretty quickly. Other weapons might be able to help with the guys that drop the fire - Astro Man's is good for hitting things that are too high to quickly beat down, maybe that's worth looking into.

Burner Man might be the most annoying stage in that game. Aside from the part you mentioned, it has those guys that throw balls and the spear corridor. And he can nullify his weakness. I was just playing the game again last night and was reminded how much I hate him.

While we're on the subject, I realized that Pirate Man's mines make the otherwise annoying King Jet section pretty simple. They do a lot of damage, have a decent area of attack and can be guided to where they need to be. They also work well for the King Tank: drop one, wait for the part to be exposed, and detonate. I've found that I use the robot masters' weapons much more in R&F than in the other games - I'm generally content to just buster my way to the boss, but for some reason I find myself switching constantly in this game. It's great.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS